Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Jags post game thread

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Anyone who doesn’t fumble twice and drop a key pass, and anyone not fresh off the practice squad — that’s who I want. Guys are a dime a dozen who can plunge ahead for 2.5 to three yards and not fumble — that would have been valuable today yes? Just sign one. You just saw what Jackson and whoever the practice squad guy did. Then we had a sixth round rookie too. This is an adequate RB corps to enter the first game of the season? If so, I’m cool with differing opinions. 

Yeah again the Colts tried that in the pre-season and they couldn’t beat out Jackson or Funk.  So clearly they aren’t a dime a dozen.  Also, remember you are complaining about the Colts third and firth string running backs.  If you get that deep into the depth chart yeah you are going to end up with guys like Jackson and Funk playing.  It’s not like we are talking about the guys the Colts planned on being their top two backs when they put together the roster.  Other things happened and rather you like it or not it was beyond Ballard’s control and if you are interested in being fair you have to acknowledge that.  

Could you replace Jackson with a guy like Drake?  Sure.  Is it really going to make that big a difference?  I highly doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If they can’t at least connect on half a dozen passes form field don’t expect a good run game.

Hmmm…thousand paper cuts offense is a short passing game offense, has nothing to do with run game. It’s used as a substitute for run game especially when your deeper threats aren’t separating 

Just now, IinD said:

I was definitely shocked they didn't have something like a 50 yard bomb written in to the gameplan at some point simply because he could launch it that far.

Did the Oline ever give him enough time to make that throw though? I feel like the Jags' Dline was in AR's face as soon as the ball was snapped.

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

Did the Oline ever give him enough time to make that throw though? I feel like the Jags' Dline was in AR's face as soon as the ball was snapped.

I hear ya. I just wanted one launch down the sidelines just to see if it'd work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah again the Colts tried that in the pre-season and they couldn’t beat out Jackson or Funk.  So clearly they aren’t a dime a dozen.  Also, remember you are complaining about the Colts third and firth string running backs.  If you get that deep into the depth chart yeah you are going to end up with guys like Jackson and Funk playing.  It’s not like we are talking about the guys the Colts planned on being their top two backs when they put together the roster.  Other things happened and rather you like it or not it was beyond Ballard’s control and if you are interested in being fair you have to acknowledge that.  

Could you replace Jackson with a guy like Drake?  Sure.  Is it really going to make that big a difference?  I highly doubt it.

Again, we’ve suspected JT was an issue so it wasn’t a game-time shock. I disagree — Jackson’s first fumble was big as was not pulling in that throw. I honestly don’t see how you can say a reliable RB wouldn’t have made a difference when we literally just saw an unreliable RB hurt us and no one in the bench to even look to besides a sixth round rookie and a practice guy. In any case, it’s a good civil discussion about it so thanks. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The way the running game looked it’s going to put pressure on colts to give JT a extension before week 6.

Why?

Even with a healthy Taylor, we likely aren’t going to win anything significant. Then all we’ve done is show other players if they pull stunts like this they can get what they want. I’d rather give Pittman an extension instead and tell Taylor the tag is coming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

we need Taylor, or a quality RB. That was one of the more obvious takeaways from this game. 

Pierce - non existent 

Pittman - should get more snaps running, or on gadjet plays, he is not seperating

Downs - rookie, probably still our best route runner 

Baker is not good - if we are going to watch someone struggle, i'd rather it be one of our rookie CBs. 

our linebackers are good to very good. 

our line is still good without Yannick, but depth might be questionable 

Outside run blocking has been decent, inside blocking is either not doing that good, or the backs are just missing the holes. looked like both interiorly. 

Safety is average. 

• Like 1

Just now, OLD FAN MAN said:

brady made a career of it

Our TEs were separating better but now Cisco head hunted Ogletree (also involved in Hull and AR injuries) like he did with JuJu last year.

We need a serious infusion of talent at the pass catching positions. 

• Like 1

Just now, chad72 said:

Our TEs were separating better but now Cisco head hunted Ogletree (also involved in Hull and AR injuries) like he did with JuJu last year.

We need a serious infusion of talent at the pass catching positions. 

Cisco is a dirty player. that is very easy to see. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Defense was tremendous

AR looked pretty good. But we are going to have to connect on some deeper passes. 

Steichen made too many rookie coaching mistakes.

They gave up 31 points. How long r we going to excuse them for playing 3 quarters and when they collapse, we say they ran out of gas??? This has gone on for 7 years. Yes the offence didn't help them, but they utterly get torched late in games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I think Pittman numbers are going to be down this year.  Interested to see how that effects his extension.

I'm not sold on Pitt as our WR1, but he did have 8 catches for 97 yards and a TD today. On 11 targets.

Pierce on the other hand...

• Like 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

They gave up 31 points. How long r we going to excuse them for playing 3 quarters and when they collapse, we say they ran out of gas??? This has gone on for 7 years. Yes the offence didn't help them, but they utterly get torched late in games.

It’s the same thing as last year. Offense hits a road block and they run out of gas. They made Lawrence look average. 

If they play like that next week stroud will be in trouble.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s the same thing as last year. Offense hits a road block and they run out of gas. They made Lawrence look average. 

If they play like that next week stroud will be in trouble.

Other teams don’t seem to have this issue like we do though. 

Not saying it isn’t a reason for it, but when it happens quite often I think we need to put some blame on the players too.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson is never going to be that kind of QB.

He didn’t mean that. He said till AR gets better weapons outside or throwing better on deeper throws, that wouldn’t be a bad option since it worked for Brady all those years with good route runners and scheming.

If I had to pick, Granson and Downs are our best route runners, so that type of underneath passing is the way to go, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The way the running game looked it’s going to put pressure on colts to give JT an extension before week 5.

I hope so.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Ballard new the offer he agreed to with the Dolphins.  Just bite the bullet and extend him and our offense is in great shape.  I hope this isn’t about Ballard holding firm and by doing so hurting the team.  The players know he’s a difference maker.  You pay difference makers .  It’s not a hard concept to grasp.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I hope so.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Ballard new the offer he agreed to with the Dolphins.  Just bite the bullet and extend him and our offense is in great shape.  I hope this isn’t about Ballard holding firm and by doing so hurting the team.  The players know he’s a difference maker.  You pay difference makers .  It’s not a hard concept to grasp.

Or is it Irsay. Any RB should fit into any system. 

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Honestly if Pierce doesn't wake up within the next couple of games... did anyone pick up James Washington or is he still available?

I don’t think he had that many targets. But the last one he needs to fight for the ball more. He seems to get out muscled. Something you won’t see from Pittman.

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

Again, we’ve suspected JT was an issue so it wasn’t a game-time shock. I disagree — Jackson’s first fumble was big as was not pulling in that throw. I honestly don’t see how you can say a reliable RB wouldn’t have made a difference when we literally just saw an unreliable RB hurt us and no one in the bench to even look to besides a sixth round rookie and a practice guy. In any case, it’s a good civil discussion about it so thanks. 

It’s pretty clear all along the Colts plan to get Taylor back at some point.  That’s what Ballard has bet on.  You can agree or disagree if that’s a smart bet but it was his bet.  However, Ballard and the Colts didn’t tell Taylor to hold in.  That’s all Taylor’s doing.  So at that point if you aren’t going to extend him or trade him and you plan to get him back because you know at some point he’s going to have to play to get what he wants then it’s beyond your control and you have wait it out.  

From there Moss, who is there back up, got hurt and they were hoping to have him back today, which is why they kept just three backs and only downgraded him yesterday.  So again beyond Ballard’s control.  

How many teams do you think are going to lose their top two backs and NOT feel it?  I am not saying Jackson is good.  I am saying he’s the third string running back who frankly played like a third string running back.

They did try to yank him for Hull but then he got hurt which frankly put them in an emergency situation which is how Funk got out there.

You are caring on like this was the expected plan.  It wasn’t.  The plan this off-season (until they got to camp when finding a new starting running back is unrealistic) was Taylor or at worst Moss and probably way more Hull.  All of which became unavailable today for different reasons.  

Colts you see the Colts bring in a guy like Hunt or Drake this week?  I certainly wouldn’t be shocked but I also don’t think a guy like that is going to make a huge difference.  The bigger issue is Moss and Hall are hurt and the Taylor situation which are realistically out of Ballard’s control.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He didn’t mean that. He said till AR gets better weapons outside or throwing better on deeper throws, that wouldn’t be a bad option since it worked for Brady all those years with good route runners and scheming.

If I had to pick, Granson and Downs are our best route runners, so that type of underneath passing is the way to go, IMO.

There are still a time to attempt a few downfield. That is how you loosen up the defense and have more running room.