Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Practice Squad Announcements. **Updated with new signings**

w87r

3 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I just think he has a ton more upside than Brown does, but that’s just my opinion. Like you said sneak Brown to the PS to retain Rush. But who knows how that would have all played out.

But then who plays nickel when KM gets hurt during a game? Rush wasn't a nickel

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not impressed at all either. They seem mediocre at best, even for practice squad players. 

But, then again, if a PS player is impressive, then why is he on the PS?

The PS is for developing players, keeping backups that you may need in a pinch, or having guys that would be useful in practice simulating opposing team tendencies.   

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

But, then again, if a PS player is impressive, then why is he on the PS?

The PS is for developing players, keeping backups that you may need in a pinch, or having guys that would be useful in practice simulating opposing team tendencies.   

Perfectly said.  None of them made a 53 man roster with 32 teams in the league.   They didn’t impress enough to make a roster anywhere.  They need more development.  Making a practice squad is one step closer.  Many of those cut didn’t do that.  So good for those that did.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe it’s Tony Brown.   

It is.  Bowen made a great point yesterday.  He said they could have kept Rush and released Brown.  Since Brown doesn't go on waivers, they could have made an agreement with him that they'd bring him back as soon as the roster settled in.  That way they don't lose Rush.

I'm sure the Colts are smart enough to realize that.  Which tells me they didn't think that highly of Rush.  He was injured a lot and besides that gifted pick six, he didn't look very good.  We'll never know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, krunk said:

But then who plays nickel when KM gets hurt during a game? Rush wasn't a nickel

Move Blackmon to Nickel he has experience there. They didn’t keep any other safeties because they are high on Nick Cross for a reason. Clearly they think he can play good enough. 

55 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Move Blackmon to Nickel he has experience there. They didn’t keep any other safeties because they are high on Nick Cross for a reason. Clearly they think he can play good enough. 

I doubt they do that.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why would we do that when Isaiah Rogers played nickel. Are you sure about that?

I’m 100% positive, go look at the availability to the media interviews from camp. Gus Bradley mentioned it several times. When Kenny went down , and Rodgers played on the outside they moved Blackmon to the slot. Blackmon even mentioned playin in the slot and how much more respect he had for Kenny after his experience playing there.

• Like 1

Think we need to drop a WR or two from the PS (we’ve got 5 on there) and add some OL to develop.  I saw that the Cardinals claimed O’Donnell off waivers yesterday.  I bet we figured we could stash O’Donnell on the PS, but we figured wrong.

30 minutes ago, Archer said:

Think we need to drop a WR or two from the PS (we’ve got 5 on there) and add some OL to develop.  I saw that the Cardinals claimed O’Donnell off waivers yesterday.  I bet we figured we could stash O’Donnell on the PS, but we figured wrong.

I was disappointed O'Donnell got claimed. He spent 3 years developing on our PS

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I was disappointed O'Donnell got claimed. He spent 3 years developing on our PS

Me too.  Can’t quite figure why we kept French instead of O’Donnell.  I’d think Carter could back up the Center position by now…

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Me too.  Can’t quite figure why we kept French instead of O’Donnell.  I’d think Carter could back up the Center position by now…

As much as I like O'Donnell, I like French more. I believe French is going to handle the backup center spot fine. Many here have criticized his play, but I believe, if called upon, he will do well. He had a great college career at Western Michigan, team leader. where in his final game, they won a bowl game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/wesley-french-ol-western-michigan/

Wesley French, OL, Western Michigan

NFL Draft analysis for Wesley French, OL, Western Michigan

By CBS Sports Staff

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating: 71.91 (Chance to start)

Pro Comparison: Clint Boling

Strengths:

Good lateral movement to handle counters and stunts. Plays with good leverage. Does not panic. Does a good job of working in space and sealing blocks. Good independent hand usage. Drives feet on contact. Does a good job re-adjusting his hands once engaged. Plays with balance.

Weaknesses:

Trouble landing initial punch and sustaining blocks. Would like to see him do a better job of sinking his hips and absorbing contact. Power rushers give him problems. Late eyes identifying stunt. Has to do a better job of marrying his hands and feet.

Accolades:

Scored a 9.63 relative athletic score (RAS) out of possible 10.00. (46th out of 1,215 OG from 1987 to 2022)

2020: 0 sacks or QB hits allowed in 397 snaps at center

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1003347&DraftYear=2022

Pro Day:

40 yard dash: 5.19

Bench:  28 reps

Broad Jump: 9'2"

Vertical Jump: 29"

3-Cone 7.28

image.png.aa9662140aae8455aa3fe47268978b2c.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

As much as I like O'Donnell, I like French more. I believe French is going to handle the backup center spot fine. Many here have criticized his play, but I believe, if called upon, he will do well. He had a great college career at Western Michigan, team leader. where in his final game, they won a bowl game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/wesley-french-ol-western-michigan/

Wesley French, OL, Western Michigan

NFL Draft analysis for Wesley French, OL, Western Michigan

By CBS Sports Staff

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating: 71.91 (Chance to start)

Pro Comparison: Clint Boling

Strengths:

Good lateral movement to handle counters and stunts. Plays with good leverage. Does not panic. Does a good job of working in space and sealing blocks. Good independent hand usage. Drives feet on contact. Does a good job re-adjusting his hands once engaged. Plays with balance.

Weaknesses:

Trouble landing initial punch and sustaining blocks. Would like to see him do a better job of sinking his hips and absorbing contact. Power rushers give him problems. Late eyes identifying stunt. Has to do a better job of marrying his hands and feet.

Accolades:

Scored a 9.63 relative athletic score (RAS) out of possible 10.00. (46th out of 1,215 OG from 1987 to 2022)

2020: 0 sacks or QB hits allowed in 397 snaps at center

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1003347&DraftYear=2022

Pro Day:

40 yard dash: 5.19

Bench:  28 reps

Broad Jump: 9'2"

Vertical Jump: 29"

3-Cone 7.28

image.png.aa9662140aae8455aa3fe47268978b2c.png

I also like French more then many here,beat the drum last preseason for him to make the 53. Now I dont like him at Guard nearly as much as Center which is were he flourishes 

• Like 2

In regard to the nickel back position is concerned, or even boundary corner for that matter I am pretty happy with the Darren Hall signing (formerly of the Falcons). This is a highlight video of course, but two things stood out to me; 1) He seems like a willing tackler which is important in our zone based defense; and 2) at about the 2:00 minute mark of this video you can clearly see him use hand and arm signals (and likely verbal communication as well) to let the Safety know that he is passing off coverage to him while he sinks down and covers the intermediate WR. Two very important elements off a Gus Bradley defense!

He's the same age as Rush and has two years of NFL experience including starters reps under his belt already. Short term is likely a better fit even if Rush may have a higher ceiling (if he reaches it). I like silver linings! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.colts.com/news/mike-strachan-released-practice-squad-roster-moves

Per article link above:

"Indianapolis – The Indianapolis Colts today signed center Jack Anderson, running back Tyler Goodson and tight end Jordan Murray to the practice squad and released running back Jason Huntley, tight end Johnny Lumpkin and wide receiver Mike Strachan from the practice squad.              

Anderson, 6-4, 314 pounds, participated in the New York Giants' 2023 offseason program and training camp. He has played in 14 career games (three starts) in his time with the Giants (2022-23), Philadelphia Eagles (2021-22) and Buffalo Bills (2021). Anderson was originally selected by the Bills in the seventh round (236th overall) of the 2021 NFL Draft out of Texas Tech. In 2022, he saw action in 12 games (two starts) with the Giants."

Mike Strahan experiment over?

• Like 3

• w87r changed the title to Practice Squad Announcements. **Updated with new signings**
2 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://x.com/Colts/status/1701706894581080307?s=20

Stupid "x" links

Anyway, Colts signed G Ike Boettger to PS as well.

Buffalo guy from workout few days ago.

62.8 PFF in 6 snaps last season

Can this x thing be fixed? The only reason I like embedding them is to show proof of what was said so people can see the exact wording. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Can this x thing be fixed? The only reason I like embedding them is to show proof of what was said so people can see the exact wording. 

This worked for me just now, when I copied the web address instead of hitting the share link on the tweet.

?

I know that probably doesn't help on the app?

Thought yours was working again though?

Anyway updated Practice Squad Roster:

RB: Tyler Goodson

WR: Juwann Winfree

WR: Amari Rodgers

WR: Racey McMath

WR: DJ Montgomery

TE: Jordan Murray

OG: Arlington Hambright

OG: Jack Anderson (injured)

OG: Ike Boettger

OG: Lewis Kidd

DT: McTelvin Agim

DE: Al-Quadin Muhammad 

LB: Liam Anderson

CB: Isaac Taylor-Stuart

CB: Darren Hall

S: Ronnie Harrison

S: Henry Black

S: Marcel Dabo

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I haven't had any issue with it, but I'm almost always posting from PC. Even on my phone though, I can paste a link, and the site will convert it to the embed format. Not sure why some people are running into problems.

Mine first quit working from app. So I was copying them just from twitter.com. Now seems those now have x and don’t work either. Very weird.

Colts worked out KJ Hamler