Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson

sb41champs

#2 on Adam Schein's list of players who WILL improve in 2023:

QUENTON NELSON:

Last season was ... weird. A first-team All-Pro in each of his first three NFL campaigns and Pro Bowler in each of his first four, Nelson started his Colts career on a Hall of Fame track. But last year was strangely ordinary. Yeah, he still made his fifth Pro Bowl, but that was a reputation nod. According to every measuring stick, Nelson was far from elite. By PFF's count, he allowed five sacks -- a higher total than his first four seasons combined (four).

Now, to be fair, everything was a hot mess in Indianapolis last season, with the Colts stumbling to a highly disappointing 4-12-1 season. But Nelson took immediate accountability for not playing up to his standard.

"I gave up a decent amount (of pressure)," Nelson told The Athletic's Zak Keefer back in January. "I need to be better in 1-on-1 protection.

"Everything’s fixable. I plan to have my best year next year. It starts with the offseason. I truly believe I can do that."

And I truly believe in Nelson. With Shane Steichen taking over at head coach and No. 4 overall pick Anthony Richardson poised to receive the reins under center, the Colts could field a devastating ground attack with a healthier season from 2021 NFL rushing king Jonathan Taylor. I can see it now, with Nelson blowing open holes once again as a road-grading force. The man just turned 27 years old this offseason, after all -- he's still squarely in his prime.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

#2 on Adam Schein's list of players who WILL improve in 2023:

QUENTON NELSON:

Last season was ... weird. A first-team All-Pro in each of his first three NFL campaigns and Pro Bowler in each of his first four, Nelson started his Colts career on a Hall of Fame track. But last year was strangely ordinary. Yeah, he still made his fifth Pro Bowl, but that was a reputation nod. According to every measuring stick, Nelson was far from elite. By PFF's count, he allowed five sacks -- a higher total than his first four seasons combined (four).

Now, to be fair, everything was a hot mess in Indianapolis last season, with the Colts stumbling to a highly disappointing 4-12-1 season. But Nelson took immediate accountability for not playing up to his standard.

"I gave up a decent amount (of pressure)," Nelson told The Athletic's Zak Keefer back in January. "I need to be better in 1-on-1 protection.

"Everything’s fixable. I plan to have my best year next year. It starts with the offseason. I truly believe I can do that."

And I truly believe in Nelson. With Shane Steichen taking over at head coach and No. 4 overall pick Anthony Richardson poised to receive the reins under center, the Colts could field a devastating ground attack with a healthier season from 2021 NFL rushing king Jonathan Taylor. I can see it now, with Nelson blowing open holes once again as a road-grading force. The man just turned 27 years old this offseason, after all -- he's still squarely in his prime.

Awesome so we go into the season and one of biggest concerns is whether our LG will recover and become elite. That in itself tells me all I need to know about the construction and talent of this team at the key positions. That being said Ballard gets a reset from me and it all starts with Taylor and Pittman contracts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

When Leonard and Nelson play great, the entire team benefits. Dunno why some people don’t understand that. 

Leonard was out of the lineup last year and it can be argued that the D played its best D under Ballard's tenure. I agree somewhat  about Nelson but if he plays at an all pro level and the LT, center and RG positions remain an issue, his all pro performances mean little. The Oline is about 5 players not just one guy playing at an all pro level

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Leonard was out of the lineup last year and it can be argued that the D played its best D under Ballard's tenure. I agree somewhat  about Nelson but if he plays at an all pro level and the LT, center and RG positions remain an issue, his all pro performances mean little. The Oline is about 5 players not just one guy playing at an all pro level

You can’t be serious with anything you just said. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

He’s not totally off base. As much as I disagree with many of his post, Nelson playing at an All pro level means little if Kelly and the right side can’t get their act together. 

You could say that about any player in any team sport.

It doesnt matter how good Jamar Chase is if Joe Burrow doesnt have time to throw him the ball. 

It doesnt matter how well Sauce Gardner covers if the pass rush cant get to the QB and the other corners dont cover.

It doesnt matter if Shane Steichen coaches his * off if the team doesnt execute.

Its a team sport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Did the D have its best year last year? Did Franklin fill in admirably for Loenard at  a much lower cost?

3 hours ago, AKB said:

Moosejaw, you're done buddy. Take a break. 

Come in man!

27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Did the D have its best year last year? Did Franklin fill in admirably for Loenard at  a much lower cost?

Come in man!

Not really, they didnt force many turnovers which is what Leonard brings to the defense. They definitely missed him.

I dont think the ranking was very good by the end of the year. They started out well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not really because you aren't factoring in the Turnovers Leonard creates. The defense played well for 3 qtrs of the season and kept us in games but without getting the turnovers we needed it gave us little chance of winning any of our close games. 

Regarding Nelson, I think he rebounds and plays great again. We finally don't have a statue at QB which will help the O.Line out by itself. If Raimann keeps improving, our left side will be solid.

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Isn't that true of any position?

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You’re now saying that the 2022 defense, which had two of the biggest meltdowns in NFL history in the same season is the best defense in Ballard’s tenure?

The 4th quarter meltdown vs Dallas and the epic second half collapse vs Minnesota  should’ve stopped you in your tracks from thinking that much less writing it here for all to read. 

This is theater of the absurd stuff…. 

Dear God….    :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re now saying that the 2022 defense, which had two of the biggest meltdowns in NFL history in the same season is the best defense in Ballard’s tenure?

The 4th quarter meltdown vs Dallas and the epic second half collapse vs Minnesota  should’ve stopped you in your tracks from thinking that much less writing it here for all to read. 

I agree with this. I believe we have had 1-2 top 10 defenses in Ballard’s tenure.  Last year this defense was average at best. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Woo. I tought the argument from many posters here was that the defence was awesome and the collapses were due to the anemic offensive performances???  U know they just ran out of gas!!!  Rubbish around here on how many times people switch gears to switch the narrative. 

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Woo. I tought the argument from many posters here was that the defence was awesome and the collapses were due to the anemic offensive performances???  U know they just ran out of gas!!!  Rubbish around here on how many times people switch gears to switch the narrative. 

You don't possess a Colts fan narrative so what does it really mean to you except something to complain about. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You and others can think whatever you want about the 23 difference.  Your choice. 

But there is almost ZERO statistical objective evidence that the 23 defense was the best in the Ballard era.    It’s laughably false.   It’s silly.   

An argument that goes the 23 defense was better than the 23 offense does not also mean the 23 defense was the best of Ballard’s seven years as GM.   There are no dots to connect.   Come on now….   

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

reality hurts

it's not reality... yet.

We have to see what he does this year. If Leonard looks a step behind or has a 'set back' this season, then yeah, I'll concede that he is done. But for now, that is not reality. 

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think the defense way better than its ranking, sure.

But thats a false equivilency. 

They didnt force any turnovers and definitely missed Leonard. Thats blatantly obvious. 

The team also misses the real Quenton Nelson.

Both these guys have been fantastic for us and nothing you say is gonna take that away. 

• Thanks 2

On 6/20/2023 at 1:12 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Barring injury Nelson should return to pro bowl form. With us probably running the ball more he should be able to be a mauler and start stacking pancakes like we are used to seeing. 

I don't care about Pro Bowl form.  Gimme All Pro form please!

• Thanks 2