Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select DT Adetomiwa Adebawore

danlhart87

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This guy is nothing like Freeney. He could bull rush but he was like Von Miller in terms of bend and that is what will make him a hall of famer. This guy is nothing like Freeney because if he was, he would have been drafted in the top 5 based on his measureables

Freeney was a DE.    This kid appears to be a DT.    Not being Freeney is not a deal breaker, most aren’t.  

But clearly there are issues that kept him from being drafted higher which was predicted.  So he’s a project but with incredible raw tools.   Ballard loves projects like that.   

If it works out, great.   If not, it was still worth the investment.   Someday, he might replace Buckner.   That might be a few years away, but hopefully worth the wait. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, krunk said:

not surprised at your view as usual.  of course I don't agree!!  did you get consulted by Lombardi about that?

Come on Krunk.  dTs with sub 4.5 speed and  bench press numbers like that don’t go 110 in the draft unless there’s some striking deficiencies.  Haven’t seen any tape on the kid, but he’s reported as stiff and a bull rush guy.  Pretty sure he doesn’t have Freeneys  foot work on the spin move.  

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Freeney was a DE.    This kid appears to be a DT.    Not being Freeney is not a deal breaker, most aren’t.  

But clearly there are issues that kept him from being drafted higher which was predicted.  So he’s a project but with incredible raw tools.   Ballard loves projects like that.   

If it works out, great.   If not, it was still worth the investment.   Someday, he might replace Buckner.   That might be a few years away, but hopefully worth the wait. 

Agreed. If Freeney came out today, he would have went #3.

20 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Come on Krunk.  dTs with sub 4.5 speed and  bench press numbers like that don’t go 110 in the draft unless there’s some striking deficiencies.  Haven’t seen any tape on the kid, but he’s reported as stiff and a bull rush guy.  Pretty sure he doesn’t have Freeneys  foot work on the spin move.  

Freeny comes out today and he goes before Anderson. This guy goes in the 4th running a 4.59. There has to be some big issues. He is  not seen as  a DE because he must lack strength or  be really stiff. The Colts see  him as a DT. The other teams that passed on him must have  rated him poorly as  a DE and did not see him as a DT. Pretty simple actually. The Colts r probably one of the few teams that prefer smaller DT's because they play one gap.

38 minutes ago, Nickster said:

And whats that got to do with who i personally think he looks like or plays like? And youre doing this openly admitting that you havent looked at a shred of tape? Even though theres tape sitting right in the thread. Am i supposed to base my opinion on somebody else? I think he moves a lot like Freeney and hes got some of the same measurables and 40 times. Did you hear me say anywhere hed put up Freeney numbers?  And your takes many times i dont entirely agree with so i wouldnt expect you to see things how i see them. A lot of us dont agree with your takes on Taylor but there your opinions. My opinion is the rook reminds me some of Freeney the way he moves and plays. Thats very different from saying he is Freeney.

37 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Freeny comes out today and he goes before Anderson. This guy goes in the 4th running a 4.59. There has to be some big issues. He is  not seen as  a DE because he must lack strength or  be really stiff. The Colts see  him as a DT. The other teams that passed on him must have  rated him poorly as  a DE and did not see him as a DT. Pretty simple actually. The Colts r probably one of the few teams that prefer smaller DT's because they play one gap.

The Colts are not one of FEW teams that play one gap. Its a passing league with most teams playing nickel as their base defense. Surely what the Colts do defensively they are not in the minority. Whose small on our interior DL? Not Buckner, Not Dayo, Not Grover. The Colts dont prefer small DL. The only thing you can really point to is Lewis or maybe an edge guy like Paye or Ekubam. The very fact that i said the rook would be a reserve player should tell you i dont think hes all the way Freeney. And again theres tape in this thread. Have you looked at any of it? I think you and Nickster are on the same program.

The only real consistent thing ive said so far is i think with his athleticism they should play him off the edge along with his DT duties. Just like they do Lewis. Hes going to be a reserve so whatever he does it will be situational. He was primarily a DT in college but they also played him off the edge. The Colts staff might be saying 3T right now but i bet when he puts on the pads they will be inclined to let him play off the edge as well.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

@krunk

What are you confused about?    What can I clarify for you?  

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

@krunk

What are you confused about?    What can I clarify for you?  

Drives you crazy that i did yours after you did mine huh? Know you like a book...Figured youd respond. You struck first so lets get your take.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Drives you crazy that i did yours after you did mine huh? Know you like a book...Figured youd respond. You struck first so lets get your take.

Huh? 

Drives me crazy?    I have no idea what you’re talking about?    Know me like a book?   Apparently not.   My post wasn’t even in response to your post as it was to Moose.   So he responded. 

So I’ll ask again….   What did I write that confused you? 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh? 

Drives me crazy?    I have no idea what you’re talking about?    Know me like a book?   Apparently not.   My post wasn’t even in response to your post as it was to Moose.   So he responded. 

So I’ll ask again….   What did I write that confused you? 

You struck my post with the same confused face as i gave your post so by all means you go ahead. Did you strike my post with that confused face by mistake? You struck my post not his.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

You struck my post with the same confused face as i gave your post so by all means you go ahead. Did you strike my post with that confused face by mistake? You struck my post not his.

I struck your post with a confused emoji late in the process.   I think you painted yourself into a corner.   

The team is talking about him as a 3-Tech yet you keep coming back to the possibility of AA playing DE.   Simply because of the testing and somewhat similar size.   You overlook the fact that the kid shows little bend or flexibility that would help him as a DE.   And you think the team will try him there sooner than later because of the similarities w/Freeney.  

From where I sit, if we learn that AA is being tried at DE, it likely means he has done poorly at DT.   You don’t seem to share that view.   

You like your view of AA so much that you ignore all the DT talk in favor of DE.   That’s why I talk about painting yourself into a corner.   You might be right someday, but the team is hoping you’re wrong.  

Hope that clarifies. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I watched some tape and not overly impressed. He whiffs a lot of tackles

46 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I watched some tape and not overly impressed. He whiffs a lot of tackles

Yeah….  The tape doesn’t match the traits.  But the traits are off the charts.  The Colts will be teaching this kid how to play football.   He’s the defensive version of Anthony Richardson — learning on the job. 

But he’s got traits you can’t teach.   He was predicted to go roughly 35-60.   Well worth pick 110, IMO. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah….  The tape doesn’t match the traits.  But the traits are off the charts.  The Colts will be teaching this kid how to play football.   He’s the defensive version of Anthony Richardson — learning on the job. 

But he’s got traits you can’t teach.   He was predicted to go roughly 35-60.   Well worth pick 110, IMO. 

be in 2 round  high end to  3 rd low . but due to his height he pass over.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Absolutely worth the 110 on the measurables alone.  It’s no tragedy if a 4th rounder doesn’t even make the 53.

this guy will surely be able to run fast down the middle and do some damage on specials, so I don’t think there much a chance of him not making the 53.

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

running-moose.gif

That's probably about it.  I'd like to see a camera in front of that Moose.

I spent most of my 20s out West.  The most awesome thing I saw was in Alaska a giant Brown Bear running like a deer up a steep river bluff with a 50 lb king salmon in its mouth knocking over scrubby trees.

2nd most awesome thing I saw was in Wyoming.  It was Moose just standing there about 20 yds away as I was walking around little ridge line.  It was well uhh big lol. 

21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That's probably about it.  I'd like to see a camera in front of that Moose.

I spent most of my 20s out West.  The most awesome thing I saw was in Alaska a giant Brown Bear running like a deer up a steep river bluff with a 50 lb king salmon in its mouth knocking over scrubby trees.

2nd most awesome thing I saw was in Wyoming.  It was Moose just standing there about 20 yds away as I was walking around little ridge line.  It was well uhh big lol. 

I think I saw that same moose in Wyoming ... only I was about 10 yards away. Really big!!

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Polian had to be shocked Freeney was still there at 11.  

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Colts have tried to teach many guys with great traits football over the past few years with little success. What happens to the day where tape was the top evaluation. Like a lot of these WRs we’ve drafted over the years great traits but missing film and they haven’t panned out. The tape never lies imo. 

5 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Colts have tried to teach many guys with great traits football over the past few years with little success. What happens to the day where tape was the top evaluation. Like a lot of these WRs we’ve drafted over the years great traits but missing film and they haven’t panned out. The tape never lies imo. 

But they haven’t invested many high picks with most guys.   I think Richardson, Benagu and Raimann are the only Day One or Day Two pick where the Colts gambled on freakish traits.   And Raimann already looks like a success. 

Otherwise, the players with high end traits where the Colts gambled are more typically Day Three kids.   And they’ve had some successes… 

2017:  Stewart

2019:  Speed

2020:  Rogers

2021:   Strachan ?

2022:   Ogletree?    Thomas 

I think the Colts have had more success betting on traits than many here believe.  

On 5/2/2023 at 11:16 AM, NewColtsFan said:

But they haven’t invested many high picks with most guys.   I think Richardson, Benagu and Raimann are the only Day One or Day Two pick where the Colts gambled on freakish traits.   And Raimann already looks like a success. 

Otherwise, the players with high end traits where the Colts gambled are more typically Day Three kids.   And they’ve had some successes… 

2017:  Stewart

2019:  Speed

2020:  Rogers

2021:   Strachan ?

2022:   Ogletree?    Thomas 

I think the Colts have had more success betting on traits than many here believe.  

I think 2021 Paye pick was a traitsy pick too.  I don't hate Paye but I think we've seen pretty much what he's likely to be.  I solid hand fighter that can hold his position fairly well and get the occasional sack off the bull rush or stunt. 

But we could have picked Christian Darrisaw of the 90 PFF at LT last year.  Lot's of people on and off this board thought that was going to be the pick.

So right now Paye was the wrong pick by just about any standard IMO.  Sho wish we had CD and so does anyone who played QB for the Colts last year or will be playing this year.

I know what you are likely to do with your ad hominem so expect a Rock eye roll if you do.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:20 PM, NewColtsFan said:

On 5/1/2023 at 10:21 PM, Nickster said:

AA is a tweener DT DE.  He's probably going to play next to Buckner in pass rush packages.  He's not replacing Paye or Ekubam in pass rush situations, IMO.  Lewis and Dayo are his competition, not the pure EDGE guys.  This pick might say something about Dayo...or expectations for Lewis. 

He's a 4th rounder because he's to big/stiff to be a three down DE and not strong enough to be a three down DT.  4th round is where you draft guys like this, not the second round like Lewis..(cough cough...Ballard)

People comparing him to Freeney makes no sense.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:14 AM, DougDew said:

AA is a tweener DT DE.  He's probably going to play next to Buckner in pass rush packages.  He's not replacing Paye or Ekubam in pass rush situations, IMO.  Lewis and Dayo are his competition, not the pure EDGE guys.  This pick might say something about Dayo...or expectations for Lewis. 

He's a 4th rounder because he's to big/stiff to be a three down DE and not strong enough to be a three down DT.  4th round is where you draft guys like this, not the second round like Lewis..(cough cough...Ballard)

People comparing him to Freeney makes no sense.

Respectfully.  
The kid has great upside he can play both DE on early downs and inside on 3rd and long

He has more burst than Paye or Dayo

He should be exciting to watch

On 5/1/2023 at 9:21 PM, Nickster said:

Respectfully I think the folks are held back mostly by his height

I agree that he isn’t a Freeney 

But……  A spin move isn’t a skill that some of the really good DE s have today…. I don’t remember Bosa using a spin move…..

Bosa has enough speed and some great hand strength 

This kid has some great speed and strength 

im not saying he will be all pro…..  I’m just saying the kid can contribute

This was where Ben Banogu had to be drafted. A player with traits without great production, that is what Adebawore is, and what Ben Banogu was. It maybe a "small" indication of Ballard refining his drafting habits, not reaching for a player with such traits not backed up by production??

On 5/2/2023 at 3:24 AM, fire cartier said:

?     Adetomiwa Adebawore Film Study: Why Adebawore Deserves to be a First Round Pick

If he turns out to be half as good as this guy proclaims, I'll be very excited.  We'll see how it translates to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived