Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Absolutely Refreshing!

Dingus McGirt

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is a troll, don't respond to him. Many in here know his game as I have seen others say the same thing. With him it has been going on all year.

You would think he would explain what he means by the draft creating holes on the team. I don't see it.

One of my favorite players in this draft in the pre-draft period was Downs. He will be fun to watch. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

You would think he would explain what he means by the draft creating holes on the team. I don't see it.

One of my favorite players in this draft in the pre-draft period was Downs. He will be fun to watch. Enjoy!

Our 1st 3 picks were great imo but I wanted Richardson and not Levis. Brents and Downs look solid.

Well, we were 4-12.  Some posters saw the trajectory of he team since about the time Ballard's drafted defensive players could not play as well as the average-paid stop gap vets he signed, then departed.  When was that 2019/20?  Along with the recurring high investment in positions of lower impact.   The decision making was just off.  Seeing that trajectory is not negativity.  It appears to be superior perception.  Kudos to those who saw it.

I'm a fan, but not a dog.  I don't give unconditional love to me team.  Fandom has to be earned, and I'm pretty sure that Irsay knows this.  I became a fan of the Colts back when they hired Bill Tobin...an NFL personnel man with credentials at the time.  He immediately made personnel decisions that made the team better.  When Jimmy took over, he wanted his own guy, Bill Polian, who also had previous NFL credentials, and he won consistently.   Grigson did not have the leadership, but we got Luck.  Since then, we have neither had a GM that shows he really deserves to be a GM (like Tobin and Polian)...he has not won anything.....and no QB to think we could really compete either. 

Fandom is waning.  More people in SE Indiana are returning to being Bengals fans like they were before Manning.  Ballards desperation reach for AR better pay off or more folks are going to just give up until the Colts prove their worth.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

What holes got deeper with each successive draft pick?

That's not what he said.  I'm pretty sure what he meant was "in a hole" relative to other teams.  KC got a speedy guy, NYJ got Aaron Rodgers. And some other teams filled a need.  

The Colts got a project with a high a RAS, no FA fixes, etc.....so if a person perceives the Colts to have fallen behind the good AFC teams yet again, it seems valid. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That's not what he said.   He said we got into a deeper hole relative to other teams, which means that other teams (I assume the good teams) got more clearly better than we did.  

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's not what he said.   He said we got into a deeper hole relative to other teams, which means that other teams (I assume the good teams) got more clearly better than we did.  

To be fair you may be right in the end, but the reality is no one has actually gotten better or worse. No one knows. It’s all chances. We’ve seen “sure things” flame out time and time again, we have seen more than one 6th rounder become a star. And everything in between. It’s all a crap shoot. We won’t know for three years on most of these guys. I like you have my doubts on some things but I’m gonna be patient before calling it a win or a loss for anyone.

17 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Remember one thing - Chris Ballard is making his judgements based on a number of factors from COLLEGIATE FOOTBALL.

Not EVERY player who was a stud in college - is a stud in the NFL.

Truth be told - ALL teams have hits and misses.

You draft PROSPECTS - not bonafide NFL stars!!

That's a very reasonable answer to explain why someone should not be negative. 

However, its the very same answer that could be made following a positive comment.  

Just now, csmopar said:

To be fair you may be right in the end, but the reality is no one has actually gotten better or worse. No one knows. It’s all chances. We’ve seen “sure things” flame out time and time again, we have seen more than one 6th rounder become a star. And everything in between. It’s all a crap shoot. We won’t know for three years on most of these guys. I like you have my doubts on some things but I’m gonna be patient before calling it a win or a loss for anyone.

Agreed.   I think the idea that the Colts have filled holes is pretty speculative.  AR is speculative.  I think the trade down twice and picking a good Corner of need was great.  Ballard had a great second round.  Josh Downs isn't that elusive and lacks top end speed, so he's going to be strictly a possession guy that the defense can probably sit on.  Calling him a Julian Edelman is speculative at this point.  So far, we have not gotten better in the IOL, unless a person wants to assume Freeland takes over at RT and Smith moves to RG and French (or is it Fries) takes over at C.  The other players all seem to be nice pickups.

Draft day is always a good day.  We got better.  Its hard to tell how much better.  

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thanks for explaining.

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.   I think the idea that the Colts have filled holes is pretty speculative.  AR is speculative.  I think the trade down twice and picking a good Corner of need was great.  Ballard had a great second round.  Josh Downs isn't that elusive and lacks top end speed, so he's going to be strictly a possession guy that the defense can probably sit on.  Calling him a Julian Edelman is speculative at this point.  So far, we have not gotten better in the IOL, unless a person wants to assume Freeland takes over at RT and Smith moves to RG and French (or is it Fries) takes over at C.  The other players all seem to be nice pickups.

Draft day is always a good day.  We got better.  Its hard to tell how much better.  

I think filled holes yes. But only time will tell if you got the concrete mix right to see if it sets

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

People who see everything in a negative sense are often miserable people. How anyone would not be excited about dynamic young players being added to one's team is beyond me. Lol, I am a bit jealous that you guys have Downs. 

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

People who see everything in a negative sense are often miserable people. How anyone would not be excited about dynamic young players being added to one's team is beyond me. Lol, I am a bit jealous that you guys have Downs. 

Downs to me is the most intriguing prophecy outside of the AR15 experiment. Downs looks much better than where he was picked, so what made him fall? Size? Something else? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Richardson or Cousins?

Cousins is meh. As someone wrote being a middling QB is the worse. You never win with them but they are too good to get rid. Give me a young QB. We drafted the one from BYU.

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Downs to me is the most intriguing prophecy outside of the AR15 experiment. Downs looks much better than where he was picked, so what made him fall? Size? Something else? 

Size. Whenever I told folks on the Vikings site that I wanted the team to draft Downs, they replied he was too small. Many liked the one from TCU because of his size. I also liked Flowers but he is considered somewhat small, I think. I'm surprised Hyatt fell so low.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Size. Whenever I told folks on the Vikings site that I wanted the team to draft Downs, they replied he was too small. Many liked the one from TCU because of his size. I also liked Flowers but he is considered somewhat small, I think. I'm surprised Hyatt fell so low.

Downs is like Steve Smith. Tough, thick ,strong lower body. Steve Smith (NFLN)loves him. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think GMs want a guy as small as Downs to have superior speed to make up for it.  You know, Tyreek Hill.  He's kind of small and slow, which isn't a great combination, so that knocks him down some.

Great hands and great routes guy, and can find a way to get open as a possession chain mover most likely.  Not to say that he can't surprise at times and get down the field.

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think GMs want a guy as small as Downs to have superior speed to make up for it.  You know, Tyreek Hill.  He's kind of small and slow, which isn't a great combination, so that knocks him down some.

Great hands and great routes guy, and can find a way to get open as a possession chain mover most likely.  Not to say that he can't surprise at times and get down the field.

We’ve need a guy with great hands for YEARS. Not even Ty had decent hands. This kid has a 98.3 percent contested catch rate and a 2 percent drop rate. Most of the bigger faster guys were in the 15-20 percent drop rate and low 70s in contested catches. 

he may not have burner speed but he’s fast side to side and makes people miss. That’s the key

• Like 5

Just now, csmopar said:

We’ve need a guy with great hands for YEARS. Not even Ty had decent hands. This kid has a 98.3 percent contested catch rate and a 2 percent drop rate. Most of the bigger faster guys were in the 15-20 percent drop rate and low 70s in contested catches. 

he may not have burner speed but he’s fast side to side and makes people miss. That’s the key

Yeah, if you asked why he fell, its because he doesn't have either the over the top speed or the big bully size.  Doesn't mean he's not a good/great player, but he leaves some of the physical boxes unchecked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, if you asked why he fell, its because he doesn't have either the over the top speed or the big bully size.  Doesn't mean he's not a good/great player, but he leaves some of the physical boxes unchecked.

Agreed but that’s why I find him so intriguing. He plays bigger than he is and I’m curious to see how he fairs

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, Downs was a great pickup. He has football speed, meaning he plays much faster than his 40 time. And very twitchy with his change of speed and quick moves. I’m very excited to see him play in the NFL. 

On 4/29/2023 at 6:07 PM, funktacious2 said:

Dude I’m so with you on your energy level here haha. I’m loving this draft. 

1. QB with serious potential. Check.

2. Trade back and get more picks. Check.

3. Get a corner who can be a starter. Check

4. Get a WR who can have an early impact. Check.

5. Get some O-line help. Check.

6. Inject our team with more youth and depth. Check. 

But that doesn’t even cover the fact that the guys they got were all guys I like and none felt like reaches. 

Who knows how this will all pan out. There’s no saying anyone can’t be a bust. But this is about as a good a draft on paper as I could have hoped for. 

I think it's time to interject a factoid here - I'm a "dudette".

16 hours ago, sb41champs said:

I think it's time to interject a factoid here - I'm a "dudette".

He's feeling good
She's feeling good
We're feeling good, yeah

Just hanging out
Just having fun
We're number one
Just hanging out
Just having fun

I'm a dude
He's a dude
She's a dude
We're all dudes, hey”

good burger GIF

I can be skeptical of Ballard sometimes, but deep down I've always really liked him and supported him. 

-He was a star QB for his high school football team. (Player experience)

-He played wide receiver in college. (Player experience)

-He was a history teacher (history teachers unite!)

-He coached wide receivers, secondaries and defense at a D-II school (coaching experience)

-12 years scouting experience with the Chicago Bears

-Moved up the ladder with Kansas City from Director of Player Personnel to Director of Football Operations

He has many years of experience at practically all of the levels involved with football, from being a player, a coach, a teacher, a scout, to management. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 11:23 AM, csmopar said:

I would wholeheartedly agree with this. Especially for the team's slot receivers, the need to be able to complete the catch and take a 7 yard pick up and make it 11 yards and a 1st down has been lacking for a LONG time(maybe all the way back to Anthony Gonzalez). Downs knows how to get open and secure the ball, that's going to be a big help to this offense and maybe the most impactful pick for this season. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 11:19 AM, ColtV said:

I would wholeheartedly agree with this. Especially for the team's slot receivers, the need to be able to complete the catch and take a 7 yard pick up and make it 11 yards and a 1st down has been lacking for a LONG time(maybe all the way back to Anthony Gonzalez). Downs knows how to get open and secure the ball, that's going to be a big help to this offense and maybe the most impactful pick for this season. 

He has a good catch radius. He. Catches. Everything. Doesn't that sound just about perfect for a talented rookie QB who has a reputation for inaccuracy?

He will be AR5's security blanket. Bank on it.

On 4/29/2023 at 7:50 AM, Dingus McGirt said:

After the initial shock of the Richardson pick, and looking back on some of the friction on the forum over the past few weeks - I love the "climate change" after the first three rounds of this draft.

As the final four rounds transpire, and our GM and HC continue to make wise choices we can all continue to get behind, Colts Nation can look forward to a great ramp up to the coming season.

You all rock.  :applause:

should’ve been here for the luck vs RG3 debates.