Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Qb based on Ballard and Steichen's history

Moosejawcolt

2 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

It's #1 Stroud or #2 Levis IMO. Both put us in the best position to get some wins now and both have some room to grow without being a complete project. 

It wouldn't honestly surprise me to see Ballard grab someone like Duggan or Bennett though.

I don’t get the Levis love. He didn’t do anything special on college , he doesn’t have any special traits . Levis is what 24 years old 5 year college guy. No thanks, it’s stroud , Richardson or young. Levis wouldn’t even be on my board if it came down to taking him I would rather draft Best DE and take hooker in second who is better than Levis and about the same old age 

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So would u rather trade up or stay at 4 and pick your the guy and have him possibly bust out or pick a 25 year old in the bottom of the 1st and or top of the second and become your franchise qb for next 10 years?? If u miss on the 1st overall and or 4th overall pick that's a killer. To miss out on a 2nd round pick wont hurt that much. Plus u can get that stud Dend at 4. I  think because of his injury and age he  can be gotten some what cheap. I read one evaluator as having him number 3. When he states all of his positives. I thought man that is thr guy Ballard and Steichen would gravitate towards.

Agree

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah but Levis is nothing like Luck in between the ears.

That's the concerning part.

and he likes mayo in his coffee.

Oh I know. That’s why I said from a physical standpoint only. He’s got Luck’s arm and body type.

And the Mayo thing is so silly. That’s what kids do nowadays. They make funny videos doing weird stuff. It was a one time thing. It’s not that deep fam lol

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Oh I know. That’s why I said from a physical standpoint only. He’s got Luck’s arm and body type.

And the Mayo thing is so silly. That’s what kids do nowadays. They make funny videos doing weird stuff. It was a one time thing. It’s not that deep fam lol

yeah, im joking, but if we draft him, you'll have to read me talking about it for the next 10 years.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Actually I think is grade average is like 3.5

at Stanford? or Kentucky? 

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

yeah, im joking, but if we draft him, you'll have to read me talking about it for the next 10 years.

Got you. I didn’t pick up on the sarcasm because there are people who take his social media stuff way too seriously. There were also people offended because he said he had a cannon and wanted to show it off. Honestly he won me over with that. I like QBs with some moxie. Especially when you can back it up.

20 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I could see Hooker I suppose.

Off topic.... Why do football fans always seem to use the word prototype when they mean archetype?

Ok I’ll bite. Probably because they mean prototype, not archetype. Call me crazy.

Ands it’s not just football fans; it’s fans of all sports, scouts, coaches, GM’s, owners, etc.

You understand that this is all based on projecting what a player will be in a few years. None of them come out as final/finish product that is already as good as it gets….unless your Peyton Manning.

1 hour ago, Bert Johns said:

1- Ballard will not give up draft capital as he shouldn't. 2- none of these guys are can't miss. 3 - Shane can work with any style qb. 4 - the Colts pick is in at #4 Florida qb AR15

Yeah when it all shakes out, I think these guys all potentially grade out the same. It’s just all about preference. I can see scenarios where they all have success. I mean Daboll just got Daniel Jones $40 million.

7 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I don’t get the Levis love. He didn’t do anything special on college , he doesn’t have any special traits . Levis is what 24 years old 5 year college guy. No thanks, it’s stroud , Richardson or young. Levis wouldn’t even be on my board if it came down to taking him I would rather draft Best DE and take hooker in second who is better than Levis and about the same old age 

He is big with a strong arm,but stroud and bennett's  arm are just as strong. Richardson arm is stronger, he is bigger and he is faster

17 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I think because most hear big arm, prototype size and simply run with it. McShay said he sees too much Wentz in him. Sloppy play late in games with multiple turnovers and lacked poise in the pocket when a play breaks down. Struggles with touch passes. If you ever WATCHED his games that's exactly what you saw. Levis spoke on his cannon arm but if you go back to the combine Stroud and Richardson threw the ball just as far if not further on the deep routes.

Despite his big arm Levis couldn't beat out a guy named Sean Clifford at Penn State after multiple seasons thus the transfer to Kentucky where he was just meh with the Wildcats. No major playing awards and his biggest stage shining moments were at a minimum. His overall college numbers were similar to Mitch Trubisky who had less INTs than Levis and a slightly higher passing percentage 67 to 64. Mitch also had ONE breakout college season something that Levis lacks.

Many felt at the time that the Bears had reached badly by moving up for Mitch and that narrative was confirmed. Let this sink in... Levis BEST passing season was a tad below Jacob Eason's best who by the way turned into a wasted pick for Ballard as his drafted big armed guy. The afc is loaded and we need SPECIAL at the qb position.

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

He is big with a strong arm,but stroud and bennett's  arm are just as strong. Richardson arm is stronger, he is bigger and he is faster

Oh but doesn’t feel the pocket well , doesn’t go thru reads etc… just another big arm turn over machine , He not even on my list as someone colts should take at any point in draft ,

stroud , young , Richardson , hooker in that order 

5 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I think because most hear big arm, prototype size and simply run with it. McShay said he sees too much Wentz in him. Sloppy play late in games with multiple turnovers and lacked poise in the pocket when a play breaks down. Struggles with touch passes. If you ever WATCHED his games that's exactly what you saw. Levis spoke on his cannon arm but if you go back to the combine Stroud and Richardson threw the ball just as far if not further on the deep routes.

Despite his big arm Levis couldn't beat out a guy named Sean Clifford at Penn State after multiple seasons thus the transfer to Kentucky where he was just meh with the Wildcats. No major playing awards and his biggest stage shining moments were at a minimum. His overall college numbers were similar to Mitch Trubisky who had less INTs than Levis and a slightly higher passing percentage 67 to 64. Mitch also had ONE breakout college season something that Levis lacks.

Many felt at the time that the Bears had reached badly by moving up for Mitch and that narrative was confirmed. Let this sink in... Levis BEST passing season was a tad below Jacob Eason's best who by the way turned into a wasted pick for Ballard as his drafted big armed guy. The afc is loaded and we need SPECIAL at the qb position.

Great write up , you broke it down to the atoms 

On 3/6/2023 at 8:36 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

We are all throwing around who we think they will draft, what qb we want them to draft and what the media is saying. However,  let's do something more interesting. Based on Ballard's  previous drafting of players, free agency acquisitions  at  the qb  position and both Ballard and Steichen's comments on qbs. Who do u think the Colts will draft?  Now if u pick a guy, you must justify it using this criteria not what u have heard and/or what u want. U r Ballard and Steichen and u r staying true to your boards.  Making this pick is totally on what u observed from Ballard and Steichen's history. 

Young-nope. He is just to small and Ballard loves measureables and don't c him drafting a qb this small. The  qbs that have been collected in free agency by Ballard  are the  prototypical size.

Richardson-nope. Poor accuracy . Steichen covets accuracy. I think Hurts was 70% coming out of college. To raw. His comments about throwing his wrs under the bus bothered me. 

Stroud-maybe. He is deadly accurate

The one thing that bothers me is he is not good under pressure and Ballard and Steichen commented on this. I saw him in a game last year against I think was Indiana. They played a NFL style D and he looked horrible.

Levi-nope-His comments at the combine really bothered me. His cannon arm comments and having a very talented arm came across as very insecure.  He doesntvshow good pocket presence.Ballard and Reich said the guy needs to be a leader of men.

Hooker- Yes. Very accurate and the right size. He to me oozes confidence and leadership. He has all the assets that Ballard and Steichen value and could maybe gotten with a 2nd round pick or sneak back into the 1st round. 

Now I have taken my pick in the eyes of Ballard and Reich based on history.  Please don't say what u like. If u make the pick justify it by Ballard and Stiechen'a actions. 

you nailed it hooker is the sleeper of the draft

On 3/6/2023 at 10:01 PM, coltsfanej said:

I really feel like it could be any of the top four. But for sake of the task at hand…

Ballard loves RAS studs and seems to always target elite athletes. Just look at the guys from last years draft. 

Shane just took a below average passer with above average athleticism and developed him into a Super Bowl QB.

Both have made comments lately saying size doesn’t matter. If they really believe that, why would they announce that to everyone? The only QB that would be in reference to is Bryce, so why make people think you’re ok with the little guy unless you want to throw them off of the fact that you really want the 6’4” 240lb monster athlete.   

so based on the track record of the traits Ballard covets, Shane’s recent success with a mobile QB, and their comments on QB size, I say Anthony AR15 Richardson. 

This does not mean it is who I want, but does seem to be the best pattern fit to me. 

young will have a lot of batted down passes in the nfl

On 3/6/2023 at 10:19 PM, chad72 said:

What have they done historically? Ballard has never drafted a QB in Round 1 as GM, period. He has drafted high RAS players, period, sometimes without lots of college production. Steichen has worked with QBs of all kinds, that is truly what he has done and adapted to every QB presented to him as OC, it is not what he has said, it is what he has done.

This is you creating a false premise of a thread, trying to push a player you covet and discount others by reading way too much into what Ballard says, when your history suggests you despise his roster construction and don't care two hoots about what he says. Now you are telling me you all of a sudden are going to hold yourself and others to what Ballard said in public as gospel when they very well could be blowing smoke. Oh, the irony!!! 

Who doesn't want a QB with accuracy? Who doesn't want a QB that makes good reads? Who doesn't want a QB that handles pressure well? Just because they want it, it doesn't mean they are going to get all of it in one package or expecting to get it in one QB.

i also hate ballards cheap roster construction, he said he will change it, go get em ballard

22 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

you nailed it hooker is the sleeper of the draft

When u look at everything that Ballard and Steichen want in a player it is Hooker.  Leader, excellent study habits, mature, big frame and athletic. When I look at  Levi and Richardson accuracy is a  huge issue.  Young is just to small and not athletic enuff to  compensate for his lack of size.  I hate Ohio  qbs and this draft actually reminds me  a lot of the Daniel Jones Haskin  draft.

Archived