Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The QB Tush Push could be outlawed??

chad72

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sounds like they they are tired of not stopping the Eagles on 4th down.  

Eagles with their OL didn't need the QB push, to be honest, except on 1 occasion.

If the OL doesn't win, pushing the QB won't matter. 

42 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

True but the rule change I would like to see is the illegal forward lateral that's called a pass. :dunno:

Yes, for fantasy football, that is the ultimate handoff that counts as a QB stat, frustrating. The team got the TD anyways, quit giving the credit to the QB for that glorified handoff, called the lateral pass.

The CFL and XFL just abolished the fumble called touchback rule if it goes out of bounds in the end zone. So, if you fumble at the one and it goes out of bounds in the end zone, the offense gets the ball back at the one, that is how the CFL and XFL are going to do it. That would cause more players to stretch out for the end zone. However, a recovery by the defense is a recovery, regardless. It affects only the balls that go out of bounds i.e. pylon plays so to speak. So, if the offense realizes one of their own fumbled it into the end zone, they just kick it out of the end zone, LOL :) 

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

There are various plays that are similar to the "tush push" on sneaks... like... when a RB is stood up but tries to get extra yards and OLinemen come and push him forward... wonder if they are going to outlaw that too? 

That's a good point.  I know on field goals a player can't use another player to gain an advantage. (the famous leaping call against the Bucs)

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

There are various plays that are similar to the "tush push" on sneaks... like... when a RB is stood up but tries to get extra yards and OLinemen come and push him forward... wonder if they are going to outlaw that too? 

I am thinking they should. It actually increases the likelihood of more collisions, IMO. Plus, it can help reduce late hits on the RB which is such a high attrition position anyways and can cause refs to blow the whistle earlier reducing the chance for Ds to stand up someone if they are not trying to gain yards and strip the ball. If the offensive player tries to gain yards, the D has a play there.

Forward progress, if aided by anything other than a defender or the offensive player with a ball, should be stopped, IMO.

I thought it might be.  Something about it seems unfair, or contrarian to the spirit of the game.

Heard it discussed by a couple of talking heads.  They said its not far from simply being a Rugby scrum.

I could see teams not even having a QB run it.  Why not run it with a OT or G taking the snap?  Have two OTs push.

The play might get 3 yards each time.  x 4 downs.  Theoretically, a team could drive down the field doing the tush push, taking up clock.

The defense would have to counter with its own beef, stacked 3 deep.  Then you have the Scrum. 

I bet it gets outlawed before next season.

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am thinking they should. It actually increases the likelihood of more collisions, IMO. Plus, it can help reduce late hits on the RB which is such a high attrition position anyways and can cause refs to blow the whistle earlier reducing the chance for Ds to stand up someone if they are not trying to gain yards and strip the ball. If the offensive player tries to gain yards, the D has a play there.

Forward progress, if aided by anything other than a defender or the offensive player with a ball, should be stopped, IMO.

Why does a Qb and RB even have to run that play?  Just take them out and use three OGs.  The play is telegraphed anyway when they line it up.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why does a Qb and RB even have to run that play?  Just take them out and use three OGs.  The play is telegraphed anyway when they line it up.

A guy like Sean Payton, he will just go jumbo every time, no way someone would be able to stop it with a 6th and 7th OL behind a big TE or like you said an OL taking the snap would make it like 7 OL.

100% agree, it will become a rugby scrum.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A guy like Sean Payton, he will just go jumbo every time, no way someone would be able to stop it with a 6th and 7th OL behind a big TE or like you said an OL taking the snap would make it like 7 OL.

100% agree, it will become a rugby scrum.

The talking heads say that the NFL wants to emphasize its athletes, and this play evolves away from that.  They said they fully expect (or heard) the Competition Committee will take a look at it.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

The talking heads say that the NFL wants to emphasize its athletes, and this play evolves away from that.  They said they fully expect (or heard) the Competition Committee will take a look at it.

I think props should go to Doug.  He was the first person here to point out the issue of the play.   And now, in the days after the SB, the NFL is talking about it.  

Firmer head of refs, Dean Blandino predicts the league will not only examine the play, they will actually outlaw the play.  
Good for Doug.   He called it out first and ultimately may prove to be right.   :thmup:

7 hours ago, stitches said:

From a safety standpoint, I think it's different. On a QB sneak, there are a 20 guys all piled up in a scrum, fighting for lowest position. Bodies are going to get bent and twisted and one side pushes the other. I'm surprised there hasn't already been a serious injury.

With RB scrums, there are players arriving to the play at different times, and everyone is usually upright and able to protect themselves. I think the QB sneak and push is a more dangerous situation.

I don't know if it will be outlawed, and I don't have a strong opinion either way on whether it should be. But I do think the situations are a little different.

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/quarterback-push-could-be-outlawed-by-nfl-next-season/

QB sneaking, the NFL doesn't have an issue with, but pushing the QB or whoever is sneaking it, it seems like the NFL competition committee could take a look at.

I remember Pittman pushing Matt Ryan several times, that could go away.

In my early years of watching football, I remember hearing an announcer say that this play was not allowed in the NFL and would be penalized on the field. The announcer said that teammates were not allowed to push another teammate into the end zone or to push the teammate to get additional yards (to move the line of scrimmage). I understood that it would be flagged. I was always a bit surprised (and sometimes relieved) to see no flags thrown whenever that play took place. I later assumed that I must have misheard the announcer or that the rule may have changed, as flags were never thrown whenever I saw that play happen. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

In my early years of watching football, I remember hearing an announcer say that this play was not allowed in the NFL and would be penalized on the field. The announcer said that teammates were not allowed to push another teammate into the end zone or to push the teammate to get additional yards (to move the line of scrimmage). I understood that it would be flagged. I was always a bit surprised (and sometimes relieved) to see no flags thrown whenever that play took place. I later assumed that I must have misheard the announcer or that the rule may have changed, as flags were never thrown whenever I saw that play happen. 

It was changed in 2005 “because” they weren’t calling it. That’s a weird way for evolution of a play being allowed. They said in 2005 it won’t be a penalty anymore since they hadn’t been enforcing it. :) 

The reasoning made no sense but now they may actually make it a point of emphasis.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It was changed in 2005 “because” they weren’t calling it. That’s a weird way for evolution of a play being allowed. They said in 2005 it won’t be a penalty anymore since they hadn’t been enforcing it. :) 

The reasoning made no sense but now they may actually make it a point of emphasis.

Ah okay. The rule changed. Thank you for that. 

Archived