Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quarterbacks this Offseason: Brady, Rogers, and more. Lamar Jackson to the NFC could change a lot of things

chad72

NFL quarterbacks are in the news:

•Brady retires 

•Lama Jackson wants more money 

•Daniel Jones and Geno Smith get paid

• Will Rodgers return to GB, play for another team, or retire 

• Can Sean Payton salvage the career of Russell Wilson 

• Carson Wentz is cut again. Is this the end of his career?

• Talk of Philip Rivers being contacted by team to come out of retirement 

• Alas, still no talk of Kirk Cousins being cut or traded away 

Does anyone think Lamar Jackson could end up in the NFC?

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/rumor-nfl-trade-rumors-executives-name-nfc-south-team-front-runners-land-lamar-jackson

A team like the Falcons that had Michael Vick could end up with his second coming. However, it would at least take 2 first round picks plus a few more picks or players thrown in, on top of a huge contract doled out for any NFC team to get him. If they release Marcus Mariota and keep Ridder, their salary cap room could go up as much as $60 million plus.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/30/nfl-salary-cap-news-falcons/

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, teganslaw said:

There is a chance that the Ravens issue an exclusive franchise tag to Jackson where he wouldn't be able to negotiate with other teams. Everything right now is speculation, and it will be interesting to see what happens. 

I am sure the Steelers and Bengals would love to see him out of their division. Also heard the Ravens that they didn't give any guarantees to offensive coordinators they interviewed that Lamar would definitely be around. 

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/report-what-ravens-told-oc-candidates-lamar-jackson/611541

none of the offensive coordinator candidates that interviewed with Baltimore were given assurances that Jackson will be the team’s quarterback in 2023.

I doubt that ATL does it.  I think it is wishful thinking by media types being spread around as rumor.

If ATL does, I'd hope that Ballard would take Desmond Ridder off of their hands for a 3rd and a 5th.  I'd be happy to build around him, starting with pick 4 and Anderson.

I can understand the Ravens not giving him a huge contract.   He has yet to play a a full 16 games in any year.  It is risky to expect him to be on the field for every game.  He's great when he plays though.  Not a great passer but he messes with defenses.  He's an OK passer.  

The stupid Browns (I left out "loser" Browns) are accused of screwing up the monies for other QB's but I disagree for this reason. When, not if Watson's numbers don't justify the stupidity of the Brown's financial wizards this crap of others QBs demanding equal amounts to their contacts will fade like a fart in a hurricane.

56 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The stupid Browns (I left out "loser" Browns) are accused of screwing up the monies for other QB's but I disagree for this reason. When, not if Watson's numbers don't justify the stupidity of the Brown's financial wizards this crap of others QBs demanding equal amounts to their contacts will fade like a fart in a hurricane.

It's up to the owners to control it. It only took one desperate owner to throw a wrench into the pile. So I don’t see it as something to disagree to?

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Panthers get it done.

The 2 number 1s are not mandatory.

I have heard of a situation where the final trade ends up being a 1 and a 3 for example.

Its up to the Ravens to accept the best offer.

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The 2 number 1s are not mandatory.

I have heard of a situation where the final trade ends up being a 1 and a 3 for example.

Its up to the Ravens to accept the best offer.

Yes. Besides, their future 1st rounder would be low 20s most likely with Lamar in the fold and a winnable division and nice schedule with AFC South in it.

Just now, chad72 said:

Yes. Besides, their future 1st rounder would be low 20s most likely with Lamar in the fold and a winnable division and nice schedule with AFC South in it.

Also lets say Lamar refuses to sign the tender and threatens to sit out the season.

Ravens could get desperate and take anything.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Someone is going to be desperate enough to give Jackson the bag. We will see who it is.

I dont think this is entirely true.  Yes Lamar can negotiate.

But Ravens own his rights and he can only sign the offer sheet AFTER Ravens accept any draft compensation.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

But Ravens own his rights and he can only sign the offer sheet AFTER Ravens accept any draft compensation.

Yeah but if he wants to leave why would they play hardball. I guess they could match which is what ravens are hoping they will be able to do. Seems this is going to create bad feelings and not ending well.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Commanders and Carolina are out. Lamar has put himself in a corner. Who is actually left? I think Lamars  stock actually has taken a steep dive. Check mate Baltimore. This is how u run a good org. Never play your hand and be patient.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think it’s all a smokescreen.

I don't think anybody wants him at his price, not even BAL

If his demand is guaranteed money, why would another team want to pay that when BAL doesn't.

Just now, DougDew said:

I don't think anybody wants him at his price, not even BAL

If his demand is guaranteed money, why would another team want to pay that when BAL doesn't.

Plus , I think teams were miffed at Cleveland for  offering g that contract. I don't think an owner wants to repeat that mistake and I really don't think Lamar is worth it. His last 2 years have ended jn jury and who knows  how that 

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something holder mentioned was owners did not like that guaranteed contract given to Watson. So chances are small that no owner is going to give him what he wants.

That. AND have to give the Ravens not one but two first round picks

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something holder mentioned was owners did not like that guaranteed contract given to Watson. So chances are small that no owner is going to give him what he wants.

He wants a fully guaranteed contract.  He has no agent.  He has missed 7 games in each of the last two seasons and a playoff game due to injury.  He wouldn’t compromise with the Ravens who drafted him on the guaranteed money.  He has not put himself in a very good position.

46 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

If he signs an offer sheet, the required compensation is two first rounders. But the Ravens still have Lamar's rights and can trade those rights to another team if they reach a deal. 

So right now, Miami can't sign Lamar to an offer sheet because they don't have a 2023 first rounder. After the draft, they can sign him to an offer sheet because they will (presumably) have their first rounders in 2024 and 2025. But, in theory, Miami could offer Baltimore a package of picks or anything else before the draft to acquire Lamar's rights, and then sign Lamar to a long term deal.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

He wants a fully guaranteed contract.  He has no agent.  He has missed 7 games in each of the last two seasons and a playoff game due to injury.  He wouldn’t compromise with the Ravens who drafted him on the guaranteed money.  He has not put himself in a very good position.

Or has he?

I don't think anyone expected Watson to get $230m fully guaranteed, right? But once teams were allowed to negotiate with him, that's what happened. All it takes is one team. Open negotiations are always going to drive up the price for a highly prized player. I'm not predicting that he gets it, but I don't think he's in a bad situation, either.

43 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Plus , I think teams were miffed at Cleveland for  offering g that contract. I don't think an owner wants to repeat that mistake and I really don't think Lamar is worth it. His last 2 years have ended jn jury and who knows  how that 

Maybe the Browns will give him 300 million to be the backup.

31 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah he can get a 3 year $150 million all guaranteed contract but he wants more guaranteed. Ravens probably offered that inside a 5 year $230 million contract and he refused.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is going to turn into a mess with the nfl. This looks really bad what they are doing to Lamar. It doesn’t hurt to talk to him.

Why?

From teams’ perspective I understand completely. Who wants to deal with an amateur who wants 10s (100s?) of million guaranteed and can’t stay healthy?

He needs to get an agent and stop this nonsense. 

32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah he can get a 3 year $150 million all guaranteed contract but he wants more guaranteed. Ravens probably offered that inside a 5 year $230 million contract and he refused.

When the ravens offered Lamar 5/230, it was reported then the guarantees were 133.    

Not sure where you’re getting LJ can get 3/150.   I haven’t seen that anywhere.  Balt doesn’t want to Jay him $45m a year.   So I don’t know how they get to $50m a year? 

What am I not understanding? 

Archived