Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kristian Wilkerson??

Smonroe

According to wiki. 6'1" 200, 4.5 40 and 6.68 three cone.  From a small school UDFA in 2021, scored two TDs for NE.  Then got concussed before the 2022 season and was on IR the entire year (doesn't mean he was really still hurt though, could have been stashed).  NE released him Wednesday

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

According to wiki. 6'1" 200, 4.5 40 and 6.68 three cone.  From a small school UDFA in 2021, scored two TDs for NE.  Then got concussed before the 2022 season and was on IR the entire year (doesn't mean he was really still hurt though, could have been stashed).  NE released him Wednesday

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

RAS has him at 9.82 out of 10. So he's athletic. Quite athletic. 

Sounds like a classic Ballard guy. 

36 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yes. Yes, he does. Missed all of last year like DD said, so another type of low risk possible high reward type of player. Not much to expect, but he could at the very least push some of our 4-6 receivers. 

I thought Ballard had learned his lesson from his season ending presser in which he said that he needed to change some things because the talent hasn't been good enough nor have the results as far as wins. Oh well..

6 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I thought Ballard had learned his lesson from his season ending presser in which he said that he needed to change some things because the talent hasn't been good enough nor have the results as far as wins. Oh well..

It's not like it's a huge contract or that he's a starter or anything. All GMs will kick the tires every offseason. Even for practice squad / camp body level players. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Sounds like a classic Ballard guy. 

Reading wiki, those 2 TDs were in one game, against the NYJ.  It sounds like he was doing well and getting more PT, then the good game.  Season ended and then got concussed last preseason.  Don't know why he didn't play in 2022 and then released.  

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

I’m not following your thought here…

What lesson has Ballard NOT learned that would stop him from giving a guy like this a look in training camp? 

What’s the downside to giving a kid with good traits a look?   We’re now in the time of year where everyone has a 90 man roster?   If you think Ballard and his team are good judges of talent, then I don’t see what the problem is?  

2 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

So what does Ballard taking a look at a free agent have to do with your comment? 

Or is it just you looking for a reason to rag on Ballard as you normally do?

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So what does Ballard taking a look at a free agent have to do with your comment? 

Or is it just you looking for a reason to rag on Ballard as you normally do?

Let me CLARIFY this to YOU and a few others that's on your train because I'm NOT "ragging" on Ballard as you say. His RECORD is what it is. His HISTORY so far with the Colts of no division titles or SB contention is what it is. His OVERALL talent level has NOT been good enough in his 6 year tenure to garner the desired outcome in a RESULT driven league. ALL of this was ACKNOWLEDGED by Ballard HIMSELF at his season ending presser that also INCLUDED him pointing to fan and media criticism that has been warranted because the team EARNED that 4th pick overall.

Now with that being said.... Ballard has earned my respect with that humbling presser because it's tough to admit certain failures publicly. Ballard also came to the realization that he needed to change some things in order to get this team where it NEEDS to be. I for one was a huge Ballard fan but as the YEARS passed by with minimal gain my opinion on his team building philosophy changed ESPECIALLY at the premium positions starting with the qb. My comment that you were referring to was based on his past MO to constantly try to find low risk high reward players that usually end up as JAG types instead of ELITE ones. Nothing more to it and nothing less so STOP fishing with that nonsense.

I do believe that Ballard has nailed the hc hire so I think the team is HEADED in the right direction under a new voice and approach. Hopefully the NEXT step will be to get the RIGHT drafted qb and the sky could be the limit BUT at the same time Ballard MUST do his part also by upgrading the talent level so the team can strive to compete on a CONSISTENT basis by elevating toward a division title as well as a SB run down the line. The afc is now loaded but that doesn't mean that the Colts have to be continually excluded from the party. I believe this will be the calm before the storm because the Colts are coming much SOONER than many believe.

5 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Let me CLARIFY this to YOU and a few others that's on your train because I'm NOT "ragging" on Ballard as you say. His RECORD is what it is. His HISTORY so far with the Colts of no division titles or SB contention is what it is. His OVERALL talent level has NOT been good enough in his 6 year tenure to garner the desired outcome in a RESULT driven league. ALL of this was ACKNOWLEDGED by Ballard HIMSELF at his season ending presser that also INCLUDED him pointing to fan and media criticism that has been warranted because the team EARNED that 4th pick overall.

Now with that being said.... Ballard has earned my respect with that humbling presser because it's tough to admit certain failures publicly. Ballard also came to the realization that he needed to change some things in order to get this team where it NEEDS to be. I for one was a huge Ballard fan but as the YEARS passed by with minimal gain my opinion on his team building philosophy changed ESPECIALLY at the premium positions starting with the qb. My comment that you were referring to was based on his past MO to constantly try to find low risk high reward players that usually end up as JAG types instead of ELITE ones. Nothing more to it and nothing less so STOP fishing with that nonsense.

I do believe that Ballard has nailed the hc hire so I think the team is HEADED in the right direction under a new voice and approach. Hopefully the NEXT step will be to get the RIGHT drafted qb and the sky could be the limit BUT at the same time Ballard MUST do his part also by upgrading the talent level so the team can strive to compete on a CONSISTENT basis by elevating toward a division title as well as a SB run down the line. The afc is now loaded but that doesn't mean that the Colts have to be continually excluded from the party. I believe this will be the calm before the storm because the Colts are coming much SOONER than many believe.

So you thought Ballard had learned his lesson? Exactly what do you think that sounds like? 

So using capital letters serves what purpose? Writing a mini novel too??

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Good thing you do because I find it funny that in your war and peace novel you didn't explain your comment about Ballard learning his lesson.  

:facepalm:  Go back and reread it. If Ballard's new enlightenment is that the team is NOT talented enough and that he needs to do things differently then from MY point of view these types of signings should be kept at a minimum AFTER years of JAG type players starting at PREMIUM positions on the team especially at wr. The one thing that the Patriots have LACKED over the last few years is receiver. Which was one of the reported reasons why Brady left in the first place. He felt that the Pats lacked weapons in the passing game. So when someone commented this looked like a typical Ballard signing that's what I meant by I thought he had learned a few lessons from his past approach of doing things that has yielded minimal results based on his comments at the presser. This signing seemed like the repeated past ways of doing things to me.

If Wilkerson wasn't good enough for a team STARVING for pass catchers then why even bring him in to the Colts that need UPGRADES at the position? I understand this is not a big deal but somewhere along the line the mindset of the FO has to change slightly in order to garner new and better results. My comment was just an early observation of the signing since Ballard's season ending presser. 

23 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

:facepalm:  Go back and reread it. If Ballard's new enlightenment is that the team is NOT talented enough and that he needs to do things differently then from MY point of view these types of signings should be kept at a minimum AFTER years of JAG type players starting at PREMIUM positions on the team especially at wr. The one thing that the Patriots have LACKED over the last few years is receiver. Which was one of the reported reasons why Brady left in the first place. He felt that the Pats lacked weapons in the passing game. So when someone commented this looked like a typical Ballard signing that's what I meant by I thought he had learned a few lessons from his past approach of doing things that has yielded minimal results based on his comments at the presser. This signing seemed like the repeated past ways of doing things to me.

If Wilkerson wasn't good enough for a team STARVING for pass catchers then why even bring him in to the Colts that need UPGRADES at the position? I understand this is not a big deal but somewhere along the line the mindset of the FO has to change slightly in order to garner new and better results. My comment was just an early observation of the signing since Ballard's season ending presser. 

It’s more about the fact that you’re complaining about something that all GMs do during this point in the offseason process. 

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

It’s more about the fact that you’re complaining about something that all GMs do during this point in the offseason process. 

I KNOW all GMs do but we seem to RELY on those types of players to a fault. Like I said that was just my observation off someone else's comment. Not that deep but don't act like the Colts product over the last few years are void of anything to complain about if someone chose to or not. I already said I think they're headed in the right direction starting with the hc hire but the talent level still needs to be upgraded as Ballard himself has acknowledged. 

13 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I KNOW all GMs do but we seem to RELY on those types of players to a fault. Like I said that was just my observation off someone else's comment. Not that deep but don't act like the Colts product over the last few years are void of anything to complain about if someone chose to or not. I already said I think they're headed in the right direction starting with the hc hire but the talent level still needs to be upgraded as Ballard himself has acknowledged. 

We haven’t even started free agency yet. So it’s premature to say Chris hasn’t learned anything. Now, if we get to the summer and this kid is the only meaningful acquisition in terms of weapons for the offense, then I’ll join you in questioning the direction. 

You’ll find I’m in the middle in terms of talent on this team. I think we have talent, just in the wrong positions… 

On 2/17/2023 at 7:38 AM, Smonroe said:

WR - Claimed off of waivers from the Patriots.

Anyone know anything about him?  Good size.

I love this kid personally. Great athlete. He was completely held back on the Pats and wasn't given a fair opportunity. I remember the 2 TD game because on fanduel, no one knew it was coming, and everyone thought N"Keal Harry would be the breakout. He never really got an opportunity beyond that and Harry ended up busting for the Pats and going to Chicago. After that, the Pats got a new WR core and drafted Tyquan Thornton. So Wilkerson never got an opportunity to do anything. This is a great buy low guy to have on our team, and he's a possible guy that could make the 53-man roster next year.

High upside/High reward. Great offseason signing by Ballard before FA. Love it!

7 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Who are the Colts relying on?    Name them.    Seriously, go ahead.   Who is the JAG at a premium position and what does that have to do with Wilkerson? 

The Colts offense isn’t where they want it to be because of guys like Patman, Strachan and Dulin.   It’s because the Colts aren’t and haven’t gotten enough from guys like Campbell  and Hilton, who have been hurt.   This year Pittman averaged about 2.5-3 yards a catch LESS than the previous year.  Because the OL couldn’t  block long enough to have him run normal patterns.   Everyone’s yards per catch was down this year. 

Again, now is the time of a 90 man roster. It hurts no one to have a high traits unproven guy on the roster.  If he can’t help, he’ll be cut.   We have the same thread discussions every year at this time over fans who are simply frustrated over the previous season.   This season is obviously dramatically worse. 

On 2/17/2023 at 1:41 PM, RollerColt said:

Yes. Yes, he does. Missed all of last year like DD said, so another type of low risk possible high reward type of player. Not much to expect, but he could at the very least push some of our 4-6 receivers. 

After Pittman who is a 2-3 WR on most teams, all of our WRs are 4-6 guys (maybe Peirce breaks out of that category? ). Glad they have traits, though.

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

After Pittman who is a 2-3 WR on most teams, all of our WRs are 4-6 guys (maybe Peirce breaks out of that category? ). Glad they have traits, though.

I'm not going to hold 2022 completely against the WR group due to poor QB and offensive line play. Pittman was frustrated the entire year and just seemed unhappy, with Pierce it normally takes a couple of years for new receivers to figure it out, Campbell had some flashes of brilliance and speed when he was thrown to. 

I think we absolutely need some help in this group, but I also don't think they're as terrible as I once thought earlier in the season. Pittman and Pierce paired with another player could be the makings of something dangerous. Maybe not elite, but at least enough to be respected. 

58 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm not going to hold 2022 completely against the WR group due to poor QB and offensive line play. Pittman was frustrated the entire year and just seemed unhappy, with Pierce it normally takes a couple of years for new receivers to figure it out, Campbell had some flashes of brilliance and speed when he was thrown to. 

I think we absolutely need some help in this group, but I also don't think they're as terrible as I once thought earlier in the season. Pittman and Pierce paired with another player could be the makings of something dangerous. Maybe not elite, but at least enough to be respected. 

The frustrating thing for me is that this position group has potential based on physical traits but hasn't done anything for years to move away from potential to actual productive results.

Ballard seems to put a low priority on this position and almost every time he's asked he gives some generic statements like 'I like our guys' or 'they just need time to develop'..  well, there's a reason why guys like Patmon and Strachan were available very late in the draft and why Dulin was undrafted and Coutee was cut by other teams.... 

Sure, Ballard has been recycling QBs, and that doesn't do the WRs any favors.  But it goes both ways and having a group of scrubs with traits at WR doesn't do the QB any favors. If we're going to draft a rookie and throw him in the fire, it'd be nice if our plan for him isn't to bring in more unproven guys who are available late round, go undrafted or just got cut simply because they have traits and Ballard is hoping he eventually finds a diamond in the rough.

Campbell, Pierce and Pittman may be a nice group but I have a hard time finding another team where any of them would be a sure fire #1 wr and can think of a handful of teams where Pittman (our #1) would be #3 at best.

10 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

The frustrating thing for me is that this position group has potential based on physical traits but hasn't done anything for years to move away from potential to actual productive results.

Ballard seems to put a low priority on this position and almost every time he's asked he gives some generic statements like 'I like our guys' or 'they just need time to develop'..  well, there's a reason why guys like Patmon and Strachan were available very late in the draft and why Dulin was undrafted and Coutee was cut by other teams.... 

Sure, Ballard has been recycling QBs, and that doesn't do the WRs any favors.  But it goes both ways and having a group of scrubs with traits at WR doesn't do the QB any favors. If we're going to draft a rookie and throw him in the fire, it'd be nice if our plan for him isn't to bring in more unproven guys who are available late round, go undrafted or just got cut simply because they have traits and Ballard is hoping he eventually finds a diamond in the rough.

Campbell, Pierce and Pittman may be a nice group but I have a hard time finding another team where any of them would be a sure fire #1 wr and can think of a handful of teams where Pittman (our #1) would be #3 at best.

I will say it's very hard to have three receivers who are #1 talent. And usually if you're lucky enough to have the situation, you were 1. really bad for years leading up to it by drafting high, 2. spending big $$$ in FA to acquire talent, and 3. about to pay for it dearly in salary management. 

The Bengals have one hell of a trio, but they're going to end up losing probably at least one of them because of the money situation. Several teams could be in the same boat. 

And to top it off, we just seem to get really unlucky in the WR department. Some of it is injuries, some of it the player just doesn't develop... We've picked up players in FA in the past, and for whatever reason they often flame out... 

And yet, I do agree we can't just sit around and do nothing. 

On 2/18/2023 at 3:44 AM, bluephantom87 said:

My comment that you were referring to was based on his past MO to constantly try to find low risk high reward players that usually end up as JAG types instead of ELITE ones. Nothing more to it and nothing less so STOP fishing with that nonsense.

What elite players are available to sign RIGHT NOW?  You DO know that FREE AGENCY hasn't STARTED yet, RIGHT?   THIS move, RIGHT now in FEBRUARY has LITERALLY nothing to do with BALLARD'S overall APPROACH to FREE agency.  Your COMPLAINT is nonsense.  Had you MADE this complaint in LATE March or EARLY April then it might have had some VALIDITY.  As it STANDS however, IT has ZERO.  

17 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I will say it's very hard to have three receivers who are #1 talent. And usually if you're lucky enough to have the situation, you were 1. really bad for years leading up to it by drafting high, 2. spending big $$$ in FA to acquire talent, and 3. about to pay for it dearly in salary management. 

The Bengals have one hell of a trio, but they're going to end up losing probably at least one of them because of the money situation. Several teams could be in the same boat. 

And to top it off, we just seem to get really unlucky in the WR department. Some of it is injuries, some of it the player just doesn't develop... We've picked up players in FA in the past, and for whatever reason they often flame out... 

And yet, I do agree we can't just sit around and do nothing. 

Yea, it is hard to have 3 #1s... that's not what I'm saying... it shouldn't be hard to have one #1.  I do not think we have that.  There are multiple teams aside from the Bengals where Pittman would likely not be the #2 (he may be #4 in Cincy).

Ballard has put WR at low priority since he has been here. I don't think it's that we're unlucky as much as it is him not trying to address the position and not prioritizing it. He continues to go after guys late in draft (or udfa, or guys who were cut elsewhere) based on potential. Not a single one of them has shown more than a flash or two, or that their potential is actually capable of producing. 

Ballard, by continuing to take this approach, is not going to be doing a young QB (or any QB) any favors.

39 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I personally have to consider that you have lost touch with FB reality.

Ballard drafted 3 WR's that very possible had first run grades on his board.

You mock Pittman who has been a top 25 player in his 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Better HC, better QB, better OL, and our passing game will BE BETTER.

Clearly some just don't Get It, like talking to a fence post.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yea, it is hard to have 3 #1s... that's not what I'm saying... it shouldn't be hard to have one #1.  I do not think we have that.  There are multiple teams aside from the Bengals where Pittman would likely not be the #2 (he may be #4 in Cincy).

Ballard has put WR at low priority since he has been here. I don't think it's that we're unlucky as much as it is him not trying to address the position and not prioritizing it. He continues to go after guys late in draft (or udfa, or guys who were cut elsewhere) based on potential. Not a single one of them has shown more than a flash or two, or that their potential is actually capable of producing. 

Ballard, by continuing to take this approach, is not going to be doing a young QB (or any QB) any favors.

2018: Fountain in the 5th round. Cain in the 6th round.

2019: Campbell in the 2nd round. 

2020: Pittman Jr. in the 2nd round, Patmon in the 6th round. 

2021: Strachan in the 7th round. 

2022: Pierce in the 2nd round. 

I'd say he's been attempting to fix this issue draft-wise for years. Now free agency is a different story, as we've never spent big money. 

1 hour ago, J@son said:

What elite players are available to sign RIGHT NOW?  You DO know that FREE AGENCY hasn't STARTED yet, RIGHT?   THIS move, RIGHT now in FEBRUARY has LITERALLY nothing to do with BALLARD'S overall APPROACH to FREE agency.  Your COMPLAINT is nonsense.  Had you MADE this complaint in LATE March or EARLY April then it might have had some VALIDITY.  As it STANDS however, IT has ZERO.  

Lose me....

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We just signed another FA wide receiver this morning.  That’s nice.  But I would much rather see the Colts announce the resigning of Paris Campbell tbh.  That would make me happy and I imagine a great majority of Colts fans as well.

Odds are the Colts won’t sign anyone until after the combine and before free agency begins.   There’s about a week to get that done.   I’m not saying no one will get signed sooner.   I suppose it could happen during the combine.   But a free agent typically wants to find out what the market says he’s worth.    I’d like to bring back lots of guys.  Most guys.  But the cap makes that very very hard.  

6 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

They just added another noname WR from the Cowboys! Some guy named Turner per pft! This kinda concerns me that Ballard once again will do nothing big at the WR position but go after no-name unknown camp fillers that will disappear come the regular season!?:loco:

Ballard has a brand new offensive minded HC.   Relax.   It’s the time of year for 90-man rosters.   

Every year fans here freak out over decisions for the 90-man roster.   They’re almost meaningless in the big picture.  

Free agency and the draft will determine the future.  

Archived