Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Trade the #4 Pick for Justin Fields?

philba101

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He had mooney cmet claypool and pringle a speedy guy from the chiefs

Exactly. He needs better weapons. None of them had over 600 yards receiving. It may be that Fields started running more. But I think everybody can agree they are a average at best receiving core. 

Sorry my son hit my hand before I finished my post.

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Claypool underpormed he was way better with big ben throwing to him

That could have been a better system for him. At the end of the day the Bears team sucked. I don't want Fields. But I do think he has a very good chance at being really good. 

Some QB’s can only throw to open receivers. Good QB’s throw receivers open. If Fields holds the ball too long he may be the former. He may need his receivers to be as open as they were in college to get rid of the ball. With his running ability I would assume that he’s seeing a lot man coverage.  With today’s NFL his passing numbers should be better even with those receivers. 

6 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Some QB’s can only throw to open receivers. Good QB’s throw receivers open. If Fields holds the ball too long he may be the former. He may need his receivers to be as open as they were in college to get rid of the ball. With his running ability I would assume that he’s seeing a lot man coverage.  With today’s NFL his passing numbers should be better even with those receivers. 

Maybe Fields don't have the confidence in his lower talented team mates? He didn't seem to have that problem in college.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That screams of not processing and no anticipation.

No it doesn't. You can't anticipate if a player covered and not separating. Chicago's receiving core is not very good. You need time to be able to process, his line is not giving him the time to go through reads and process. Just look at his stats. It's really not hard to see he has gotten better. If you don't like him as a player that's fine. But don't spew stuff that is just incorrect. I don't know what fields is going to be as a QB but I do think he has the ability to very good. 

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If that's the case the Bears will be drafting a quarterback.  

You made me think of something I had not thought of previously. Let's say the Bears do decide that they want to move on from Justin Fields and draft one of the top QB's at #1. It seems like they would want to make that determination well before the draft and maybe even before free agency starts. This would maximize their opportunities to market and trade Fields. By the draft, most teams who are not planning on drafting their next QB, will already have an expected starter in place. The Texans will almost certainly draft a QB at #2. If teams like Carolina, Tampa, Washington, and Las Vegas don't wait until the draft to add QB's, there would be few teams even left to trade for Fields.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

You made me think of something I had not thought of previously. Let's say the Bears do decide that they want to move on from Justin Fields and draft one of the top QB's at #1. It seems like they would want to make that determination well before the draft and maybe even before free agency starts. This would maximize their opportunities to market and trade Fields. By the draft, most teams who are not planning on drafting their next QB, will already have an expected starter in place. The Texans will almost certainly draft a QB at #2. If teams like Carolina, Tampa, Washington, and Las Vegas don't wait until the draft to add QB's, there would be few teams even left to trade for Fields.

Nah wait before the draft and just see what kind of haul u may  get.  U never know there could be a stupid team out there. I am not sure Fields garners more thatmn A 3rd or  a 4th.

• 10 months later...

Fun thing about the Bears they are going to do the EXACT same thing to Caleb Williams that they did to Fields: bring in a new head coach after this rookie year, multiple o-coordinators, let him get killed on every play, then after year 3 draft another qb!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Fun thing about the Bears they are going to do the EXACT same thing to Caleb Williams that they did to Fields: bring in a new head coach after this rookie year, multiple o-coordinators, let him get killed on every play, then after year 3 draft another qb!

Bears do not know how to develop quarterbacks.  They are finally going to get the chance to get those extra draft picks from Carolina this year so they should not be trading fields. Getsy was a terrible OC and his schemes were trash. Find a good OC that can help fields. Draft MHJ or Oline. I have a feeling their Oline will be better with better offensive schemes. Williams seems immature and not able to handle criticism. It’s a bad move.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bears do not know how to develop quarterbacks.  They are finally going to get the chance to get those extra draft picks from Carolina this year so they should not be trading fields. Getsy was a terrible OC and his schemes were trash. Find a good OC that can help fields. Draft MHJ or Oline. I have a feeling their Oline will be better with better offensive schemes. Williams seems immature and not able to handle criticism. It’s a bad move.

I am split on whether or not Caleb Williams will be a great QB in the NFL. He has the talent, but he had a disappointing season at USC this season. I excepted them to be more like Washington was, competing for a Title. I also thought Williams would play much better than he did when he played Washington, Oregon, and Utah.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The problem is they waited too long to do the things for Fields. Now he's going to be in his 4th year with salary ratcheting way up for these(if they select the 5th year which i dont think they will) last 2 years. I think I said it in this thread last year, Chicago is a QB graveyard and has been since Sid Luckman!

Regardless of what either of us think of Williams, he's going to be #1 overall pick. I don't think you're wrong about his personality, but it's not going to matter. 

I would love to see Fields end up in Atlanta and see what he can do there. 

Just now, ColtV said:

The problem is they waited too long to do the things for Fields. Now he's going to be in his 4th year with salary ratcheting way up for these(if they select the 5th year which i dont think they will) last 2 years. I think I said it in this thread last year, Chicago is a QB graveyard and has been since Sid Luckman!

Regardless of what either of us think of Williams, he's going to be #1 overall pick. I don't think you're wrong about his personality, but it's not going to matter. 

I would love to see Fields end up in Atlanta and see what he can do there. 

Yep. If they move on this will be why. They want to start the rookie QB cycle one. It’s never ending with that team. I hope Fields gets to go to Atlanta and show what he can do. It would be great for him to go home. Morris there as a head coach concerns me though. I would rather him go to an offensive minded coach.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep. If they move on this will be why. They want to start the rookie QB cycle one. It’s never ending with that team. I hope Fields gets to go to Atlanta and show what he can do. It would be great for him to go home. Morris there as a head coach concerns me though. I would rather him go to an offensive minded coach.

A good fit for Fields would be in Pittsburgh. Steelers always seem to win 9 or 10 games anyway. With Tomlin as Coach, Fields might make that team an 11-win team. The Bears can do a lot if they draft Williams and trade Fields simply because he will be under a rookie contract for years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A good fit for Fields would be in Pittsburgh. Steelers always seem to win 9 or 10 games anyway. With Tomlin as Coach, Fields might make that team an 11-win team. The Bears can do a lot if they draft Williams and trade Fields simply because he will be under a rookie contract for years. 

I don't want that because I hate the Steelers!

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Unless Steelers find an innovative OC I would say no.  Bears actually made progress this year I think despite the horrible OC. Their schemes reminded me of colts with Matt Ryan when the Oline and everything broke down.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Unless Steelers find an innovative OC I would say no.  Bears actually made progress this year I think despite the horrible OC. Their schemes reminded me of colts with Matt Ryan when the Oline and everything broke down.

I don't know, it would be interesting to see what Tomlin and his staff could do with a dual QB, he has never had one.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't either but Tomlin would love it compared to having Pickett and Rudolph. 

The Steelers are one of the best run franchises in all of football.  I’ve read nothing saying they’re ready to give up on Pickett after two seasons.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Steelers are one of the best run franchises in all of football.  I’ve read nothing saying they’re ready to give up on Pickett after two seasons.  

I haven't read anything either, but Pickett was benched for Rudolph. I was just throwing out places that I think Fields might be good. Much like I haven't read anywhere Jim-Bob wants to leave the Colts to go to Philly but some others keep that silly thread going. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe I said no way back when, and my answer is still no.   And I happen to like Fields and think with the right coaching he still has promise.  

Not to keep receipts like you, because I don't, and the only reason I was scrolling back was to see what I said (doesn't look like I commented.) But what you actually said was...

On 2/16/2023 at 1:52 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly I’m not sure.  

• Thanks 1

I doubt Fields ever becomes better than a Top 15ish QB and even that mid level ranking will be mostly due to his running ability. However, he will have one thing going for him if he gets to land with a team that is not as dysfunctional as the bears have been.

18 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Not to keep receipts like you, because I don't, and the only reason I was scrolling back was to see what I said (doesn't look like I commented.) But what you actually said was...

“Keep receipts like you….”

An interesting way to characterize the fact that I remember unique comments.