Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

Stettson Bennett did NOT outplay Stroud and Young. Both Stroud and Young have now had 2 elite seasons in college football and they did it at age 20 and 21(Stroud was actually 19 and 20 for most of those 2 seasons). Age matters. Those are young players that have not yet fully developed their bodies and mind and their games. When Bennett was Young and Stroud's age he was in Jones County community college and then was a back up to Jake Fromm, D'Wan Mathis and JT Daniels, throwing 55% completion season for 8TDs and 6 INT. He has made himself a very good college QB, who has killed it the last 2 season with a great Georgia team, but Stettson Bennett does NOT have the same skillset and ability as Young. 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For me Ballard telegraphed he was going to do this at his presser.  Potentially with the dual purpose of letting potential coaching candidates know as well.  Relationships matter with Ballard and he has them with Chicago.  He will work out a trade that he is happy with.  I’m expecting it to happen.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

For me Ballard telegraphed he was going to do this at his presser.  Potentially with the dual purpose of letting potential coaching candidates know as well.  Relationships matter with Ballard and he has them with Chicago.  He will work out a trade that he is happy with.  I’m expecting it to happen.

It seems colts are the only team where Chicago can still get one of those two defensive players. So it guarantees them carter or Anderson plus a couple extra picks. I won’t rule out though they trade with Texans first. Texans also gave the 12th pick.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So how would people feel about a hypothetical situation where we traded down 3 spots to acquire Carr with the Raiders and draft Levis at 7 considering we release Matt Ryan or he retires this offseason? Just throwing something out there.

How many years left on his deal? Carr

So I watched that Levis video.

One thing I didn't see much of is what kind of short passer he is.  It's a big part of most NFL offenses these days.  Most of the tape in the video is of the downfield passing variety.

Anyone have any feeling on Levis short passing game?  Quick hitting, quick processing, maximizing YACs with accuracy type of stuff?

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

One thing I didn't see much of is what kind of short passer he is.  It's a big part of most NFL offenses these days.  Most of the tape in the video is of the downfield passing variety.

Anyone have any feeling on Levis short passing game?  Quick hitting, quick processing type of stuff?

Who cares about short pass; even Ryan dumped it off. Want to see a QB who can stretch it out.

4 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Who cares about short pass; even Ryan dumped it off. Want to see a QB who can stretch it out.

Who cares?  Is that a serious question.  Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Philip Rivers to name a few HOFers made a living in the short/quick passing game.

A dump off isn't a short passing game pass BTW.  It's when you are looking downfield and have to check down, that's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about quick hitters and hot reads, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Anyone have any feeling on Levis short passing game?  Quick hitting, quick processing, maximizing YACs with accuracy type of stuff?

He has a very quick release with a lot of zip on the short stuff.  Accurate too.  I actually noticed that more.  He was under duress a lot this year.  Didn’t have much time.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

He has a very quick release with a lot of zip on the short stuff.  Accurate too.  I actually noticed that more.  He was under duress a lot this year.  Didn’t have much time.

i love that release.  I will say that.   

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

I tend to agree with @DougDew

If Bennett is sub 5'11 and under 200lbs, Bryce Young is the exact same size.

They are both very similar players, even in mobility and arm strength.

And don't tell me that Stetson was surrounded by a better team than Young with Alabama.

Or Stroud with OSU.

Bennett outplayed all of them.

Thanks, but nobody should confuse my "defense" of Bennett as an endorsement.  The similarities I see with Young mainly would question that Young should be rated highly.  Young may turn out to be the GOAT, but there are just certain ways to look at players pre-draft and he doesn't qualify as a first rounder, IMO.

18 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Why; get CJ or Young after Texans. Bears and Cards don't need QB. Bears be forced to get DL at 1.

i would take either of the 3 without trading up i just think a desperate team will trade with the bears for young .   texans take cj  and levis will fall to us .   i just dont wanna trade up and risk losing out on a better QB class next year .  i wanna be able to get one of the three and have insurance next year incase it doesnt work out we could have a top pick next year too . 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Most of the trade ups like this for a QB have happened in march and early April. It would be fun if this happens well before the draft. 

I see no reason why it couldn’t happen pretty quickly.  Most likely right after the combine.   No need to wait really.  Ballard would sleep better the sooner he gets it done 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I see no reason why it couldn’t happen pretty quickly.  Most likely right after the combine.   No need to wait really.  Ballard would sleep better the sooner he gets it done 

Bears also benefit to waiting as long as possible. But the combine is when deals get done. I think it probably won’t happen until after FA because that could make some teams out on rookie QB. Bears also might not want to trade down too far so colts are really the only one they want to deal with. By then there should be enough intel to tell Texans whether they want same QB as colts.

Derek Carr should end up be traded or cut by Feb 15th. It has to be Agee’s on by then because of certain bonuses.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i would take either of the 3 without trading up i just think a desperate team will trade with the bears for young .   texans take cj  and levis will fall to us .   i just dont wanna trade up and risk losing out on a better QB class next year .  i wanna be able to get one of the three and have insurance next year incase it doesnt work out we could have a top pick next year too . 

I wouldn’t give a rats * about next year.  The future is now.  So much can go wrong next year during the college season.  If you love a guy this is your chance to get him. You just do it and don’t look back.

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

5 potential landing spots for Carr

Colts aren't listed

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-potential-landing-spots-raiders-193000131.html

The ONLY way I can see us getting Carr is if we draft a QB who's not ready(lets say Anthony Richardson) AND Carr gets cut(rather than us trading for him) and for some reason he wants to be our bridge QB while we don't show much commitment to him(money or years-wise). But overall I agree... the Colts are not and should not be high on that list. 

37 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Levis throws a ball with a good arc.  He doesn't just throw line drives, so he should be able to develop into a good, touch short passer.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn’t give a rats * about next year.  The future is now.  So much can go wrong next year during the college season.  If you love a guy this is your chance to get him. You just do it and don’t look back.

it all depends how you feel about one of the QBS if you are in love with one and are convinced they are the real deal then yes i agree .  the problem is to many teams do what you said when they arent convinced its the right pick they do it out of desperation and it backfires .  this is why so many teams stink for  20 years they go all in trading up for a bad prospect and then lose out on the  good prospects the next two years and by the time they get their picks back there is no good QB prospect to take .   having insurance is a must or the team will be bad for a very long time

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

The ONLY way I can see us getting Carr is if we draft a QB who's not ready(lets say Anthony Richardson) AND Carr gets cut(rather than us trading for him) and for some reason he wants to be our bridge QB while we don't show much commitment to him(money or years-wise). But overall I agree... the Colts are not and should not be high on that list. 

Keefer confirmed once again today that colts are not going to go after Carr. That says right there they are taking a QB with that first pick. Ballard mentioned this is in his presser they made a mistake thinking colts were a quarter back away. 

40 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

unless a miracle happens we will have the number one pick next year, imo we should trade some of our better talent for more picks this season and next

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

If Indy (or any team) drafted the 3rd best QB, unless he’s severely injured during the season, I can pretty much guarantee they won’t be drafting another 1st round QB in the next year’s draft.  

59 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Saw that too. The majority of the other mocks I have seen have the Colts sitting at #4 and taking Stroud. That is with assumption that Anderson and Carter also go 1-4.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have a feeling Irsay is going to tell Ballard do everything you have to to trade with bears for that first pick.

It's the way to go if the team determines that one quarterback is superior to others and can anchor this franchise for the next decade.

Tough to depart with that draft capitol. The Colts 2nd is a premium pick and should deliver a day one starter with a first round grade.

Am I wrong in that all of these exorbitant prices paid over the years for the 1st and 2nd pick for a non generational QB have generally been abject failures, when retrospectively analyzed?  (Note, KC’s moving up for Mahomes was much more reasonable than so many of the other moves that were only a few spots, so I don’t include that one.)

I think it would be a HUGE mistake to pay a bunch to move up from the 4 spot.  Just stay put and let the chips fall where they may.  One of the top 4 (interchangeably ranked) QB prospects will be there and there will be free agent stop gap options available as well.  I say, stay put at 4!

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Another reason I thought it was so important to have the 4th draft slot instead of the 6th. Chicago can trade with the Colts with high probability they can still draft Anderson or Carter. Any deal for #1 was probably going to be tougher if the team was sitting at 6th.

Archived