Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our future QB just slipped out of our hands, good job Ballard

ojsglove

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't want a 6-0 foot QB (Young)... I'd take Stroud over him. But not a big fan of the QB class. 

Have no clue what we'll do. Especially without knowing who the HC and scheme will have.. 

I don't watch much CFB, but the word before the season was that this was a good QB class.

East in your opinion have some of these prospects faltered this year or do you think that it was inaccurate that this was a good class before the play of the guys this season?

Just now, Nickster said:

Yeah ole Baker.  He looked fantastic in the last drive.  He led a methodical drive just before that.  Pretty remarkable just coming in.  BUT.  He was also the QB that led the Rams to 3 points until 330 left in the game against a really historically inept Raiders D.  I think I saw that stat LV has given up 8 13 point leads now.  That doesn't seem possible, but I'm pretty sure that was what I saw as I casually had on the last quarter of that game. 

Mayfield might be good someday, but he is on his 3rd team now.  That speaks volumes IMO. 

I still don't see it but last night was a fun game to watch. Watching McDaniels lose like that was priceless. Raiders are done. Rams have some damn good WR's, that #18 was incredible last night. I can't even pronounce his name haha . He was making catches all over the field.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't want a 6-0 foot QB (Young)... I'd take Stroud over him. But not a big fan of the QB class. 

Have no clue what we'll do. Especially without knowing who the HC and scheme will have.. 

Young has more speed than Stroud does but that is about it. Between Young, Stroud, Levis, Hooker, Duggan it is a crapshoot IMO. It sucks Hooker got injured. Any of them could bust or 1 or 2 of them could be great?? 

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't watch much CFB, but the word before the season was that this was a good QB class.

East in your opinion have some of these prospects faltered this year or do you think that it was inaccurate that this was a good class before the play of the guys this season?

Some expected to do well, were meh. Some risers too. 

But overall, just nobody wows me. I'd take Stroud over any of the guys below. 

Here's PFF's BB (1st round grades)...

• #1 Young (Bama) - good performance, but surrounded with 5 star guys. And only 6 foot. Not saying he's a bust candidate, but just can't overlook the height. And whenever a QB is surrounded by 5 star kids, it's just to predict. 
  • #3 Levis (KY) - didn't take a big leap that some thought. On a meh team, and OK stats, but inconsistent. Really bad game vs TN
  • #11 Stroud (OSU) - good performance, but surrounded with 5 star guys. His last two years are incredible stat wise. I'd prefer him to either Young or Levis. 
  • #18 McKee (Stanford) - on a bad team, and very meh stats. No clue why he's getting a 1st round grade. Good game vs WA, but vey meh outside of that. Not mobile at all. 
  • #28 Richardson (FL) - decent team, decent stats, but inconsistent. True a dual threat guy. 

I'll likely watch film on these guys, and others like Hooker, once we get close to the draft. 

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Young has more speed than Stroud does but that is about it. Between Young, Stroud, Levis, Hooker, Duggan it is a crapshoot IMO. It sucks Hooker got injured. Any of them could bust or 1 or 2 of them could be great?? 

Stroud is the only one that I would roll the dice on (with our 1st).

Richardson or Hooker perhaps in 2nd. I'd take either in the 3rd definitely. 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

• #1 Young (Bama) - good performance, but surrounded with 5 star guys. And only 6 foot. Not saying he's a bust candidate, but just can't overlook the height. And whenever a QB is surrounded by 5 star kids, it's just to predict. 
  • #3 Levis (KY) - didn't take a big leap that some thought. On a meh team, and OK stats, but inconsistent. Really bad game vs TN
  • #11 Stroud (OSU) - good performance, but surrounded with 5 star guys. His last two years are incredible stat wise. I'd prefer him to either Young or Levis. 
  • #18 McKee (Stanford) - on a bad team, and very meh stats. No clue why he's getting a 1st round grade. Good game vs WA, but vey meh outside of that. Not mobile at all. 
  • #28 Richardson (FL) - decent team, decent stats, but inconsistent. True a dual threat guy. 

I'll likely watch film on these guys, and others like Hooker, once we get close to the draft. 

Man I make almost no prognostications about college QB talent.  I found my ideas of who would be good or not in the league were very inaccurate lol. 

If you were GM right now and given the #1 choice for a Qb who would you go with ?

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Oops see you've already said Stroud. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Man I make almost no prognostications about college QB talent.  I found my ideas of who would be good or not in the league were very inaccurate lol. 

If you were GM right now and given the #1 choice for a Qb who would you go with ?

If Stroud is there when we pick, I'd roll the dice and pick him. 

I wouldn't mortgage the future to move up for him. 

He's probably the only one I'd take in the 1st round.

I wish Young was 2-3 inches taller... lol 

Just now, EastStreet said:

If Stroud is there when we pick, I'd roll the dice and pick him. 

I wouldn't mortgage the future to move up for him. 

He's probably the only one I'd take in the 1st round.

I wish Young was 2-3 inches taller... lol 

The QB position is definitely evolving, but I still feel ugly about drafting shorter dudes. 

Just now, Nickster said:

The QB position is definitely evolving, but I still feel ugly about drafting shorter dudes. 

He's listed 6-0, but I'd bet he's more like 5-10 or 5-11. 

Murray is 5-10, and Wilson is 5-11. So it can work (kinda)... lol

But yup, just can't overlook height if he's 6ft or under. If he was a true 6-1, sign me up lol... 

I assume that the difference between Young and Sam E is arm talent.  Young's superior speed is offset by his size which leads to durability questions for the NFL.

Since Stetson Bennett basically performs just as well as Young, why does one win the Heisman and spoken like a first round talent and the other isn't even in the picture as being draftable.  Hmmm.

Levis seems like he's got Wentz' head.  Got the tools though.

Max Duggan is getting some press.  I assume the difference between him and Sam E is, again, arm talent.  I like him, just not sure why he would be much of an upgrade over Sam.

The only two that I think could bring something materially different to the NFL Colts table is Stroud and McKee.

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Oops see you've already said Stroud. 

I would take Bryce Young. He is lightening fast and very accurate. His HT does concern me a bit only being 6'0 tall but Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are only 6'0 and have had great career's and neither have the speed Young has. Young has been coached by Saban so he has been coached by the best.

Young and Stroud will probably be gone by the time we pick unless we get lucky somehow. Levis may be there when we pick but then again, he could go #1? I am almost sure Hooker because of his injury and Duggan will be there. Just pick your poison. Richardson is also another option like East brought up. Tanner from Stanford could be good too.

Thanks for clarifying that Colts were number 9 in waiver order and Rams were number 3.

I think the question now is would Ballard have put a waiver claim in for Mayfield at 9 if he were available ?

Or are Ballard and Saturday planning to have Ryan return in 2023 ?

Sad Tears GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I assume that the difference between Young and Sam E is arm talent.  Young's superior speed is offset by his size which leads to durability questions for the NFL.

Since Stetson Bennett basically performs just as well as Young, why does one win the Heisman and spoken like a first round talent and the other isn't even in the picture as being draftable.  Hmmm.

Levis seems like he's got Wentz' head.  Got the tools though.

Max Duggan is getting some press.  I assume the difference between him and Sam E is, again, arm talent.  I like him, just not sure why he would be much of an upgrade over Sam.

The only two that I think could bring something materially different to the NFL Colts table is Stroud and McKee.

Bennett is a 6th year 25 year old. Young is true Junior, and 21. 

Bennett is a good player, but if you watched both, there is big difference. 

And Bennett is even shorter than Young. 

25 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Thanks for clarifying that Colts were number 9 in waiver order and Rams were number 3.

I think the question now is would Ballard have put a waiver claim in for Mayfield at 9 if he were available ?

Or are Ballard and Saturday planning to have Ryan return in 2023 ?

Sad Tears GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Rams were only team to put a waiver claim in.

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Young and Stroud will probably be gone by the time we pick unless we get lucky somehow. Levis may be there when we pick but then again, he could go #1? I am almost sure Hooker because of his injury and Duggan will be there. Just pick your poison. Richardson is also another option like East brought up. Tanner from Stanford could be good too.

We have to see where we finish. If Chicago stays at two and wouldn’t trade down more then a spot or two it’s still possible to get top two. We probably have some defensive players they would like to sweeten the pot.

11 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Could have solved our QB problem for years to come, but our GM was to slow on the draw.  Mayfield is better than any QB on our roster and probably better than anything we could draft for several years.  The smartest man in the room failed us  again, thanks' Chris.

Wait wait wait, you’re are telling me the dude that was just picked up on waivers is the future QB…ha this is gold.

Could have solved our QB problem for years to come, but our GM was to slow on the draw.  Mayfield is better than any QB on our roster and probably better than anything we could draft for several years.  The smartest man in the room failed us  again, thanks' Chris.

thats nuts GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would take Bryce Young. He is lightening fast and very accurate. His HT does concern me a bit only being 6'0 tall but Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are only 6'0 and have had great career's and neither have the speed Young has. Young has been coached by Saban so he has been coached by the best.

What does Bama QB history under saban show though? Not sure many if any have gone on to long nfl careers

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

As I’ve said, none of them have that wow factor to them. Maybe 1 will turn out to be a franchise QB after 3-5 years. But we need a turnkey QB and I don’t think we’re gonna find it

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Bennett is a 6th year 25 year old. Young is true Junior, and 21. 

Bennett is a good player, but if you watched both, there is big difference. 

And Bennett is even shorter than Young. 

Huge disparity in projection seems unjustified given the similarities.  They both need to move more towards the middle, IMO.

Where did the assumption that any team including the Bears will trade their high draft pick? They are also bad teams that want to pick the best players to improve their team. Not all GMs have the habit of trading down like Ballard has done in the past. I also don't think that padding the wanted pick with talented players works for the team that trades their talented players. Examples could be the Broncos. At the time there were Colt fans that wished we could have made that deal for Wilson. We see how that turned out. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

As I’ve said, none of them have that wow factor to them. Maybe 1 will turn out to be a franchise QB after 3-5 years. But we need a turnkey QB and I don’t think we’re gonna find it

IMO, all are capable of developing into a starter, in the correct schemes.... Just none are day one studs. 

I think the most "ready now" QB is probably Stroud, regardless of scheme. 

Some are limited due to lack of mobility. 

Mayfield is better than any QB on our roster and probably better than anything we could draft for several years

Hes been bad this year and graded lower than Matt Ryan.  Matt is actually quite a bit higher on pff.  He was released from a team that needs a qb too, he couldnt even win the backup job

Plus he was picked up on the wire by a team in front of us lol

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Where did the assumption that any team including the Bears will trade their high draft pick? They are also bad teams that want to pick the best players to improve their team. Not all GMs have the habit of trading down like Ballard has done in the past. I also don't think that padding the wanted pick with talented players works for the team that trades their talented players. Examples could be the Broncos. At the time there were Colt fans that wished we could have made that deal for Wilson. We see how that turned out. 

We don't know what we don't know. Insiders in Seattle reported some folks amongst the Seahawks staff felt RW had lost his touch and his skills were eroding, so they couldn't pass up the deal they got. Plus you add a newbie HC and it was a recipe for disaster trying to adapt the skills for an established QB with habits that can't be undone. It is not like Peyton or Brady or Brees or Rodgers going to a new system, they literally can bring their offense with them wherever they go by being OC and design the playbook around the plays they want to run and go from there. 

That is why you do the groundwork. Why are the Falcons willing to eat the dead cap and move on so easily from a QB that gave them their only SB appearance, for just a 3rd round pick? We all knew Ryan's arm was no better than Rivers' arm to thread the needle before the good safeties close in (I was clamoring for Stafford because of that once Rivers wasn't coming back for that reason). One thing we could not have anticipated is the inability of Ryan to adapt to working from the shotgun and ability to adjust protections well against pressure, or read Ds as well as Rivers did. 

This season however has been a season of several star name QBs underperforming from the drastically obvious RW and Ryan to a less obvious Rodgers and Brady. 

As far as trading with the Bears, unless we give up a future 1st, it is not going to happen to move from No.8 or 9 to No.2, IMO. In that case, the two may tango. :) 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did not realize Richardson has a 4.4 40 time, he is also 6'4 which I knew but he is faster than I thought. Interesting.

Reminds me of Matt Jones, who played at Arkansas. He was drafted by JAC as a WR. Was a decent player too, before he got arrested with cocaine.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We don't know what we don't know. Insiders in Seattle reported some folks amongst the Seahawks staff felt RW had lost his touch and his skills were eroding, so they couldn't pass up the deal they got. Plus you add a newbie HC and it was a recipe for disaster trying to adapt the skills for an established QB with habits that can't be undone. It is not like Peyton or Brady or Brees or Rodgers going to a new system, they literally can bring their offense with them wherever they go by being OC and design the playbook around the plays they want to run and go from there. 

That is why you do the groundwork. Why are the Falcons willing to eat the dead cap and move on so easily from a QB that gave them their only SB appearance, for just a 3rd round pick? We all knew Ryan's arm was no better than Rivers' arm to thread the needle before the good safeties close in (I was clamoring for Stafford because of that once Rivers wasn't coming back for that reason). One thing we could not have anticipated is the inability of Ryan to adapt to working from the shotgun and ability to adjust protections well against pressure, or read Ds as well as Rivers did. 

This season however has been a season of several star name QBs underperforming from the drastically obvious RW and Ryan to a less obvious Rodgers and Brady. 

As far as trading with the Bears, unless we give up a future 1st, it is not going to happen to move from No.8 or 9 to No.2, IMO.

I think CHI will look to move down. But I could see it more like what SF did to them when CHI traded up to take Trubisky.

I will say this...if Ballard is still here, I do like his chances of making something happen with CHI via trade. He was in the KC org with Poles, probably helped Flus get the HC gig...and spent half of his career in the CHI org. Obviously, it has to make sense for CHI though.

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think CHI will look to move down. But I could see it more like what SF did to them when CHI traded up to take Trubisky.

I will say this...if Ballard is still here, I do like his chances of making something happen with CHI via trade. He was in the KC org with Poles, probably helped Flus get the HC gig...and spent half of his career in the CHI org. Obviously, it has to make sense for CHI though.

There is a lot of familiarity with bears and colts organization like you said. But how far will they want to trade down. Depends where colts pick is at. I am sure there is a DE Chicago would want.

Archived