Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saturday Stops Practice

RollerColt

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont agree with this idea the Colts players have quit. They dont quit. They were absolutely trying to win Sunday.

They might not be as focused as they should be at practice, this week. That loss on Sunday might have taken the air out of their sails a bit. But I dont think they will quit on Jeff. 

Just seeing 1 maybe 2 making mental mistakes regarding execution is plenty reason for a demanding HC to call the "Team" out.

You want your Captains to be part of that but it starts at the TOP.

This is no time for wishy washy.

Jeff was given this assignment to Coach them hard, to a high standard.

We are seeing upsets each week. Everyone loves winning!!! 

Each game is an Application for these guys rather it be for the Colts' or another team. Just like Jeff stated If this is what they wanna put out on tape then so be it but he is going to try and help put their best on the tape.  

Its about getting down to the details. It starts with the little things. If past coaches over looked that then thats why we seen what we seen on the field.  My opinion is that EVERY NFL player is OVERPAID. 

Marvin was right when he said what he did about practice. The game is like RECESS and where the FUN happens.

What i don't understand is how many fans KNOW what the players thinking or the reason they are doing things. Fans like to ASSUME a lot of things and we all know the saying that goes with that which is VERY TRUE. Why do we as humans want to know EVERYTHING? 

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just seeing 1 maybe 2 making mental mistakes regarding execution is plenty reason for a demanding HC to call the "Team" out.

Great post because those 1 or 2 mental mistakes are the difference between WINNING and LOOSING in the NFL. Especially when they happen at the worst time. 

8 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

It will be difficult for some players to maintain focus and effort when the season is already done but that's why I don't really see this as an issue. A player that quits is not a player you want on your football team so let them identify themselves during the coming weeks. That way, we know who we need to move on from and who deserves to stick around.

That is the reason Saturday was hired. Irsay trusts him more than Ballard at this point. A total rebuild is coming.

26 minutes ago, Crush22 said:

Yes, they will. They know Jeff is here to evaluate and report to Irsay.

You don't want to be on the naughty list.

Yep, otherwise you will get a 1 year membership to the "Jelly Of The Month" club without Christmas bonuses. :) 

hallelujah-holy-shit.gif

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, otherwise you will get a 1 year membership to the "Jelly Of The Month" club without Christmas bonuses. :) 

hallelujah-holy-shit.gif

"Worse?! How can it get any worse?! Take a look around you, Helen! We're in the threshold of hell!" 

I use that phrase every year as a middle school teacher lol...

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Ah, my apologies Doug. I've been... off lately honestly. Sorry to get so defensive. 

I like Frank. I thought he was a decent HC. In a weird way, I feel like him being relieved from the Colts mid-season will work out in his favor. Was that Irsay being merciful by taking him out of this mess of a roster? I don't know... But he's essentially got a head start for next year's openings, and he can focus on his family for a bit. The sad reality is if Ballard is to either step down or get fired, Frank would've been removed as well by the next regime. I'm fairly certain we'll see him coaching again next year somewhere... Possibly the Jags as their offensive coordinator, wouldn't that be fun to deal with twice a year! 

Frank was an okay coach.  I think the had some tunnel vision about some things, and wish he would have made more out of his norm decisions, but in the end, none of those issues were the cause of any real performance problems, IMO. 

I think it will show that overall he elevated the team's performance and didn't hinder it.

But an apples to apples comparison will never be attainable.  Next year, the new HC will have new players to work with, and our young players will have another year's experience, but it won't stop some from trying to cherry pick comparison's to try to make a point.

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

It’s been a nightmare of a season, beginning with expectations of a Division championship and a missed field goal in the Texans game. Just a nightmare……

Any truth to the Harbaugh rumors? I’m wondering about Irsay’s mindset: he is my age and at this age, you start wondering how many seasons he has left to win a championship.

All of them till he dies.. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

It's pretty crazy considering the importance placed on "leadership" and how much they value team captains in the draft.

That whole schtick is long gone.  That being a major criteria for our selections has led to ......the current situation.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Frank was an okay coach.  I think the had some tunnel vision about some things, and wish he would have made more out of his norm decisions, but in the end, none of those issues were the cause of any real performance problems, IMO. 

I think it will show that overall he elevated the team's performance and didn't hinder it.

But an apples to apples comparison will never be attainable.  Next year, the new HC will have new players to work with, and our young players will have another year's experience, but it won't stop some from trying to cherry pick comparison's to try to make a point.

True. No two teams are alike, even under stable circumstances. 

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Lots of fans don't understand that these guys are professionals who are earning a living.  They are going to do what is best for themselves and their money earning potential for the most part.  The overwhelming preponderance of vets on a good contract are not going to be as willing to sell out in a lost season such as this one.

Some of these guys probably don't even like football that much, but they play it because they are good at it.  Its like the military does certain motivational things to help instill the "God and Country" passion into its members, when many just can't help but not give a * about that stuff.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Some of these guys probably don't even like football that much, but they play it because they are good at it.  Its like the military does certain motivational things to help instill the "God and Country" passion into its members, when many just can't help but not give a * about that stuff.

I highly doubt that many fall into that category.  These guys have trained most of their lives to get into the NFL.  That's why most of them stay too long. 

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I swear hand to the cosmos.  I hung out and had drinks with a prominent Colts' defensive player in 01-02  few times who was living in the Condo Complex a girl I was seeing lived in. 

and that's what he said.  He didn't even like football.  He just said I'm good at it, and earn a lot of money by it.   

I'm not against Rah rah stuff in total, but grown men on a 4 win FB team should not be responding to the ole Rockne speeches.  It's about earning a living in toto at that point.  I still think most guys are motivated by winning a championship because I think men are evolved to "win" but at some point you throw in the towel and do your job but you don't go all pelotas profundas. 

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt that many fall into that category.  These guys have trained most of their lives to get into the NFL.  That's why most of them stay too long. 

If its professional satisfaction they seek, then there has to be a basic belief that their hard efforts are going to result in success.  Having little hope of success tends to kill passion.  There isn't a thing an NFL HC can do about it.  JMO.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If its professional satisfaction they seek, then there has to be a basic belief that their hard efforts are going to result in success.  Having little hope of success tends to kill passion.  There isn't a thing an NFL HC can do about it.  JMO.

So do we think Irsay getting vocal was the passion killer before the Raiders game last year? Perhaps that was the beginning of his meddling streak? I mean after Christmas Reich and the team were flying pretty high after beating the Patriots and Cardinals... Those last two weeks, man... Just... Sigh... 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think there is a doom and gloom atmosphere around the Colts like there is in this forum for a few. 

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

So do we think Irsay getting vocal was the passion killer before the Raiders game last year? Perhaps that was the beginning of his meddling streak? I mean after Christmas Reich and the team were flying pretty high after beating the Patriots and Cardinals... Those last two weeks, man... Just... Sigh... 

Did Irsay say something before LVR last year?  I don't remember.  I was thinking that before the season he implied taking sides on the vax issue and equated it to leadership, so that when the whole team finally got covid two thoughts happened:  If you were vaxed you naturally would point at others for letting the team down..or if you were not vaxed, you may have felt guilty about letting the team down.  Both of those thoughts are passion killers...or stress elevators at least...and they came directly from Irsay equating getting vaxed with good leadership and team spirit/unity.     

I'm not sure he said anything specific before LVR, but I don't remember.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah we played OK v. the Raiders though.  They were a playoff team so it wasn't like that was a shocking loss or anything.   Wentz missed that one throw to TY. 

The Jags game was just a dismantling, but we had look bad v. JAX the 2nd half a couple weeks before. 

I  think we overachieved last year through week 15 and are now seeing what we really are as a team.  I think our performance in games 1-5 and since game 16  of last season until now is more indicative of the talent on this roster than the weeks 6-16.  I think the run heavy offense we employed in the middle of last season took a little time to adjust to, and the league adjusted and we don't have the ability to adjust back because of lack of talent in key positions. 

If you are running team and can't run then you are kinda screwed.  

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think there is a doom and gloom atmosphere around the Colts like there is in this forum for a few. 

Who said that?  It seems there is a lack of passion and concentration at the moment.  Its what the thread tweet implied.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Did Irsay say something before LVR last year?  I don't remember.  I was thinking that before the season he implied taking sides on the vax issue and equated it to leadership, so that when the whole team got covid two thoughts happened:  If you were vaxed you naturally would point at others for letting the team down..or if you were not vaxed, you may have felt guilty about letting the team down.  Both of those thoughts are passion killers...or stress elevators at least...and they came directly from Irsay equating getting vaxed with good leadership and team spirit/unity.     

I'm not sure he said anything specific before LVR, but I don't remember.

My mind is very fuzzy these days. Felt like he made a comment about all the Covid stuff leading up to the Raiders game because we had quite a few sick at the point. 

In fact, I think we've got quite a few sick again these past couple of weeks, though I don't know if it's Covid-related or something else... 

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I agree. Ive thought for a while this team has been a rudderless ship. Leadership from the players can only go so far. The leaders among the players have to answer to someone. And somebody has to be the unequivocal leader. That should be the coach in a perfect world. I think a truly great QB like Brady or Manning can fill that void sometimes. But we dont have that rn.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He's stopped practice several times per reports. Even the 1st week when he wasn't happy.

Good for him! 

If you can't practice right, do it over... and if you still can't do it right, sit..

I get it, he's trying to send a message. That being said. We r 12 games into the season and nothing has really changed with the overall performance of this team. Turnovers, wr's not producing, defence crumbling  on late drives, Oline can't protect and/or open up running lanes. Did I miss something? This was my point about a motivational coach. U can try and motivate all u want but the talent needs to be there and your coach needs to have an excellent grasp of the X and O's.

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I saw a report Kenny Moore won't be playing. 

Not shocking 

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2022/11/30/colts-injury-report-update-kenny-moore/

no playoffs, no pro bowl type season, so lets just quit.

My bet right now: Kenny Moore II will not be a Colt next season 

Moore has a contract to earn.  So if he's dogging it what would be strange.   I think he can be cut without much penalty IIRC.

42 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

To be fair, the bad play started with the Patriots game. Both games against the Patriots and Cardinals were UGLY and then we just imploded against the Raiders and Jags. 

As hard as it was to watch those last 4 games I think it’s more disturbing the team didn’t recover from it during the off season. We just continued the suckage. 

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Moore has a contract to earn.  So if he's dogging it what would be strange.   I think he can be cut without much penalty IIRC.

He hasn't done anything to warrant a pay raise. 

But am I surprised that now that the season is over he might be done this year? 

NOPE 

am i also surprised its from just simply running into someone and its his shin? 

NOPE

been calling it all year, dude checked out. 

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

To be fair, the bad play started with the Patriots game. Both games against the Patriots and Cardinals were UGLY and then we just imploded against the Raiders and Jags. 

As hard as it was to watch those last 4 games I think it’s more disturbing the team didn’t recover from it during the off season. We just continued the suckage. 

I went back to watch some of the condensed versions during my lunch break. Yeah... I had blue colored glasses on I guess, because we had some really bad moments in those games. The key difference I noticed was we had the homerun big play moments to offset the offense woes. We don't have that this year... 

Kind of similar to the Chiefs win this year, those two games the other team essentially beat themselves and we screwed up just less enough to win. 

Now beating the 49ers and Bills last year? I guess we just shocked them as underdogs and playing in nasty weather conditions. 

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

He hasn't done anything to warrant a pay raise. 

But am I surprised that now that the season is over he might be done this year? 

NOPE 

am i also surprised its from just simply running into someone and its his shin? 

NOPE

been calling it all year, dude checked out. 

That's what I'm saying.  He's playing for a contract. If he's putting less than max effort he's either delusional thinking his value is high regardless of this season's performance (For some guys at certain positions this can be true) or he's thinking about retirement or something or (least plausible) he doesn't really care about money. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That's what I'm saying.  He's playing for a contract. If he's putting less than max effort he's either delusional thinking his value is high regardless of this season's performance (For some guys at certain positions this can be true) or he's thinking about retirement or something or (least plausible) he doesn't really care about money. 

I think part of it is he is clearly avoiding injury. He was avoiding contact, avoiding comitting his body to the play.

And trust me dude, im not happy about it. KM and Hines were two of my favorite players on the entire team. Absolutely loved how the smaller guys just threw their bodies and endless effort at the play to make it work.

We don't get that from KM anymore, we just get a burst of it here and there when he's in prime position. If he's beat on the play, he typically doesnt give that extra 10% he's just been letting the play finish and going next.

Really disheartening man. The core that we've known for a while is gonna change this offseason. 

At this point, there is 0 motivation for the players to care. We aren't making the playoffs, and that is the ultimate goal, to win the SB. If I were playing pokemon still, and they said I had to withdraw every time I made the playoffs, I would have no motivation to play. I couldn't win prizes as much (which would be equivalent to getting paid in the NFL), and I couldn't win championships, so there would be no reason to do my best. These players are losing money on offense because of the QB and O-Line situation. The defense is trying, but that's not enough on its own. 

So why risk injury? The only reason is to compete and win a SB or to get paid. We aren't winning a SB, and some of these guys are already paid, and a lot of them aren't good enough to get paid. You do see effort from the ones who are good enough (like Taylor and Pittman).

Just now, RollerColt said:

I went back to watch some of the condensed versions during my lunch break. Yeah... I had blue colored glasses on I guess, because we had some really bad moments in those games. The key difference I noticed was we had the homerun big play moments to offset the offense woes. We don't have that this year... 

Kind of similar to the Chiefs win this year, those two games the other team essentially beat themselves and screwed up just less enough to win. 

Now beating the 49ers and Bills last year? I guess we just shocked them as underdogs and playing in nasty weather conditions. 

49ers was in a monsoon.  There is really nothing positive or negative that can be taken about that game with the weather conditions. 

We ran past the Bills.  One of those games that everything went right.  We started really well and then they turned it over twice in a row and the route was on.  It was raining at half too, which didn't increase Bills chance for a comeback. Great performance, great win, but probably anomalous rather than trend indicative. 

It was a shock to me after the 2nd half v. Jags.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Saturday said ir best. Emotion lasts maybe  a quarter then it comes down to execution.

11 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think part of it is he is clearly avoiding injury. He was avoiding contact, avoiding comitting his body to the play.

And trust me dude, im not happy about it. KM and Hines were two of my favorite players on the entire team. Absolutely loved how the smaller guys just threw their bodies and endless effort at the play to make it work.

We don't get that from KM anymore, we just get a burst of it here and there when he's in prime position. If he's beat on the play, he typically doesnt give that extra 10% he's just been letting the play finish and going next.

Really disheartening man. The core that we've known for a while is gonna change this offseason. 

I hear what you are saying brother.  If KM is preserving his body for a contract, I think he's overvalueing himself. 

But I wouldn't blame any of these guys for pulling up a little in this lost season.  They have a very short window to make as much money as they can and most contracts don't have a ton of guaranteed money.  Most of these guys will never have another opportunity to make this kind of money for the rest of their lives as they do here in their 20s. I Don't blame these guys at all for trying to get the cash for what they put their bodies and brains through.

I hear where you are coming from I really do.  I used to think that way.  Just now as an older guy raising a family, it's really all about the ducats in the end, opportunities to provide for yourself and yours. 

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Just now as an older guy raising a family, it's really all about the ducats in the end, opportunities to provide for yourself and yours. 

It is all relative man. A guy can retire with $1 mil. in his bank and social security, and someone can make it work with $100K in his bank and social security (maybe outside the US :)), while someone wants $10 mil. in his bank. Your lifestyle conforms to your wallet and thus your expectations down the road from your place of work and everything else. 

With the NFL players, there will be a vacuum of typically 25-35 years without an income they have to plan for. Bad takes, hot takes, whatever they get paid for, they will do once their playing career is done. :)  We can't really live in their shoes unless you are a professional player yourself.

Archived