Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saturday Stops Practice

RollerColt

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is all relative man. A guy can retire with $1 mil. in his bank and social security, and someone can make it work with $100K in his bank and social security (maybe outside the US :)), while someone wants $10 mil. in his bank. Your lifestyle conforms to your wallet and thus your expectations down the road from your place of work and everything else. 

With the NFL players, there will be a vacuum of typically 25-35 years without an income they have to plan for. Bad takes, hot takes, whatever they get paid for, they will do once their playing career is done. :) 

I hear you man.  But I don't know what you do for a living, but earning millions of dollars isn't even the remotest possibility for me, and I ain't running full speed into freakishly large, fast, and strong super humans.

All I'm saying is it's fine with me if a guy is a mercenary, and I personally frankly don't care if a guy pulls up a little in a lost, meaningless season like this.  Now if a guy pulls up in position to have his teammate take the damage, that's a different story to me.

But I have no problem with these Soldiers of Fortune doing what they need to do to get them ends. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

"Worse?! How can it get any worse?! Take a look around you, Helen! We're in the threshold of hell!" 

I use that phrase every year as a middle school teacher lol...

HS teacher myself.  Hanging in there waiting for retirement.   Only have 10 or 15 years to go lol.   It was fun for a while but conditions, attitudes, etc. have me uhhh not going full speed on every play lol.  

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

HS teacher myself.  Hanging in there waiting for retirement.   Only have 10 or 15 years to go lol.   It was fun for a while but conditions, attitudes, etc. have me uhhh not going full speed on every play lol.  

What we do is not for the faint of heart that's for sure. I'm 5 years in so... yeah I've got a long way to go if I decide to keep going. 

38 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, there is 0 motivation for the players to care. We aren't making the playoffs, and that is the ultimate goal, to win the SB. If I were playing pokemon still, and they said I had to withdraw every time I made the playoffs, I would have no motivation to play. I couldn't win prizes as much (which would be equivalent to getting paid in the NFL), and I couldn't win championships, so there would be no reason to do my best. These players are losing money on offense because of the QB and O-Line situation. The defense is trying, but that's not enough on its own. 

So why risk injury? The only reason is to compete and win a SB or to get paid. We aren't winning a SB, and some of these guys are already paid, and a lot of them aren't good enough to get paid. You do see effort from the ones who are good enough (like Taylor and Pittman).

Apparently, you don't care enough about playing pokemon, or don't care enough about the 'prizes' to try and get better.

Yep, some of these guys have already been paid, but they'll still be evaluated.

Other's either play to get better, or don't care. Either way, they'll be evaluated.

So, if they're motivated to compete, good for them.

If they're not, it's good to learn that now.

NOW, this is all fun talk, and can be justified by how the team has played since the Raider game last season, but it IS prompted by one tweet. I'd like to hear more, but we won't, and will be left to make further assumptions when the team takes actions this offseason.

Edit: Additionally, it's O.K. for them to be down for a little while. They're human. But they're also supposed to be professionals and need to suck it up, for their careers, soon.

31 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I hear what you are saying brother.  If KM is preserving his body for a contract, I think he's overvalueing himself. 

But I wouldn't blame any of these guys for pulling up a little in this lost season.  They have a very short window to make as much money as they can and most contracts don't have a ton of guaranteed money.  Most of these guys will never have another opportunity to make this kind of money for the rest of their lives as they do here in their 20s. I Don't blame these guys at all for trying to get the cash for what they put their bodies and brains through.

I hear where you are coming from I really do.  I used to think that way.  Just now as an older guy raising a family, it's really all about the ducats in the end, opportunities to provide for yourself and yours. 

I agree with you, but at the end of the day they get the ducats to give 100 percent effort. It's also dishonest to their teammates when they don't.

Yesterday on the PMS, Arod was on there and he spoke about it (playing in a season where playoff contention is all but removed) the way he worded it was this. If you are a competitive professional, you play. If you aren't hurting the team by being out there, you play. He then went on to start talking about how players he has played with before either lost or gained respect from their peers based on the effort those guys did or didn't give when the games were coming down to the last. We both agree here, and family and future is always more important to the individual, but at this pojnt I think KM is done as a colt. 

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

What we do is not for the faint of heart that's for sure. I'm 5 years in so... yeah I've got a long way to go if I decide to keep going. 

Do you work in a good district with support from your principal and the community?  If so, it's a good job.  If not, it really sucks.  My building has really slid these last 6 or so years since a really good superintendent retired.  

I'm in year 30 lol. 

8 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I agree with you, but at the end of the day they get the ducats to give 100 percent effort. It's also dishonest to their teammates when they don't.

Yesterday on the PMS, Arod was on there and he spoke about it (playing in a season where playoff contention is all but removed) the way he worded it was this. If you are a competitive professional, you play. If you aren't hurting the team by being out there, you play. He then went on to start talking about how players he has played with before either lost or gained respect from their peers based on the effort those guys did or didn't give when the games were coming down to the last. We both agree here, and family and future is always more important to the individual, but at this pojnt I think KM is done as a colt. 

Man what these guys say in public is a lot different than what goes on behind the scenes.  I have a retired MLB friend who was a 5'9'' powerless MI who worked his butt off and made the league at 29 and played for 10 years.

He was talking about training camp.  He was always a hustler like most of us were coached and expected to be in my community. He kept doing that in camp and a few of the vets jumped him for it.  They were like quit running so hard etc, you make us all look bad.  He said, I'm fighting for my job.  I can't slow down.  I'm not going to name anyone but the funny thing was when he told us that story that the main guy jumping his adz was known as a hustling type of player. 

My point is, AROD wasn't known for being a hustling type AFAIK.  And there isn't 1 in a hundred major leaguers who run everything out.    SO what I am saying is, maybe part of what AROD is saying is true for some, but most major leaguers aren't worried about a guy jogging to first on a GB in the hole when they are 65 and 90, or a guy pulling up short of a pop up near the Wrigley Field bricks in the bottom of the 8th while trailing by 6 runs.  

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Man what these guys say in public is a lot different than what goes on behind the scenes.  I have a retired MLB friend who was a 5'9'' powerless MI who worked his butt off and made the league at 29 and played for 10 years.

He was talking about training camp.  He was always a hustler like most of us were coached and expected to be in my community. He kept doing that in camp and a few of the vets jumped him for it.  They were like quit running so hard etc, you make us all look bad.  He said, I'm fighting for my job.  I can't slow down.  I'm not going to name anyone but the funny thing was when he told us that story that the main guy jumping his adz was known as a hustling type of player. 

My point is, AROD wasn't known for being a hustling type AFAIK.  And there isn't 1 in a hundred major leaguers who run everything out.    SO what I am saying is, maybe part of what AROD is saying is true for some, but most major leaguers aren't worried about a guy jogging to first on a GB in the hole when they are 65 and 90, or a guy pulling up short of a pop up near the Wrigley Field bricks in the bottom of the 8th while trailing by 6 runs.  

sorry I was talking about Aaron Rodgers.

not a big baseball fan and im originally from WI and Arod is frequently used when talking about Aaron Rodgers for short, but I understand the confusion there lol. 

just listened to Saturday's mid-week presser and I thought he said something that relates to what we are talking about here @Nickster

You probably already watched it, but this is the quote

"From a player perspective, them understanding the business of our game. Is that it's not only for the Colts now, but audition for 31 other teams is a very real thing in the NFL. And what you put on tape, is what people believe about you. So, if you want to be a legacy player, or a guy that people recognize, it doesn't matter what the record is. It's on you, those numbers-- you can't hide them on game film, so make sure you're representing your name and your number well". 

9 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

just listened to Saturday's mid-week presser and I thought he said something that relates to what we are talking about here @Nickster

"From a player perspective, them understanding the business of our game. Is that it's not only for the Colts now, but audition for 31 other teams is a very real thing in the NFL. And what you put on tape, is what people believe about you. So, if you want to be a legacy player, or a guy that people recognize, it doesn't matter what the record is. It's on you, those numbers-- you can't hide them on game film, so make sure you're representing your name and your number well". 

Totally for most guys it's a constant audition.  

There are some guys where it doesn't really matter though.  Elite types.  For instance lets say Jefferson from MINN were up for a contract and MINN was bad and weren't making the playoffs.  He could sit out the last month of the season and someone is going to pay him top dollar.

That was my original point about MOORE.  If he thinks his talent is that level to take plays off he's out of touch.

Neon Deion wasn't a hustler and sometimes flat out wouldn't attempt to tackle but that didn't stop him from earning crazy amounts of money.   Top of the top of the top of the scale. 

Moore if he is dogging it things he's Sanders lol. 

Just now, Nickster said:

Totally for most guys it's a constant audition.  

There are some guys where it doesn't really matter though.  Elite types.  For instance lets say Jefferson from MINN were up for a contract and MINN was bad and weren't making the playoffs.  He could sit out the last month of the season and someone is going to pay him top dollar.

That was my original point about MOORE.  If he thinks his talent is that level to take plays off he's out of touch.

Neon Deion wasn't a hustler and sometimes flat out wouldn't attempt to tackle but that didn't stop him from earning crazy amounts of money.   Top of the top of the top of the scale. 

Moore if he is dogging it things he's Sanders lol. 

I agree. We agree on everything here pretty much. I was just venting about it tbh. I really don't want to see players quit on the team, especailly not the guys who are supposed to be the image of the team. Guys Like Buck, Grove, Nelson, Kenny. When those guys start to quit it just makes colts football feel bad overall.

obviously I lost respect for Kenny a while ago as a colts football player. as a man, and a regular guy, kenny is an awesome human being. but to see people give less effort and stuff like that is just sad. 

23 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Do you work in a good district with support from your principal and the community?  If so, it's a good job.  If not, it really sucks.  My building has really slid these last 6 or so years since a really good superintendent retired.  

I'm in year 30 lol. 

Nope! My principal is amazing and a really good guy, but the school board isn't a fan of him so he's already planning to leave. My district has seen 8 different superintendents in a decade, at least 4-5 new principals... We've lost 25 teachers in two years... And our school board does not support us at all. 

Since I started teaching I've dealt with: a principal quitting the day before school started, our superintendent doing bad things and resigning, the replacement principal becoming the next superintendent, the Covid shutdown of Spring of 2020, trying to return to teach during a pandemic and then nearly dying in the hospital, my best friend leaving my school for a better situation, our latest super quitting abruptly over the past summer, to our current principal trying to be both super and principal and burning himself out... 

It's... been too much this year... That's why I'm not on as much anymore on top of all the mess of this organization. 

8 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

That quote is just common sense imo.  If a professional football player needs that reminder to motivate them they are in the wrong line of work.

8 hours ago, HOZER said:

Yes. That’s what they’re paid to do. Most professions if you fail you better work harder to improve or you’re shown the door. Maybe that’s what some of them want? If so,

well-bye-later.gif

It's hard to make players care when the organization seems to be in disarray 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, there is 0 motivation for the players to care. We aren't making the playoffs, and that is the ultimate goal, to win the SB. If I were playing pokemon still, and they said I had to withdraw every time I made the playoffs, I would have no motivation to play. I couldn't win prizes as much (which would be equivalent to getting paid in the NFL), and I couldn't win championships, so there would be no reason to do my best. These players are losing money on offense because of the QB and O-Line situation. The defense is trying, but that's not enough on its own. 

So why risk injury? The only reason is to compete and win a SB or to get paid. We aren't winning a SB, and some of these guys are already paid, and a lot of them aren't good enough to get paid. You do see effort from the ones who are good enough (like Taylor and Pittman).

There is this thing called pride. Some people actually have some. Nobody likes getting their butt whipped every week. And some guys arent gonna sit around and just go "ok I guess we suck, no big deal."

No that isnt the only reason these guys play. Thats far too black and white to be true. Some of these guys actually love the game. They play to win. 

You are talking like they have no problem going out there and getting embarrassed on national TV and having their opponents talk trash the entire time. I assure you they do have a problem with that.

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Nope! My principal is amazing and a really good guy, but the school board isn't a fan of him so he's already planning to leave. My district has seen 8 different superintendents in a decade, at least 4-5 new principals... We've lost 25 teachers in two years... And our school board does not support us at all. 

Since I started teaching I've dealt with: a principal quitting the day before school started, our superintendent doing bad things and resigning, the replacement principal becoming the next superintendent, the Covid shutdown of Spring of 2020, trying to return to teach during a pandemic and then nearly dying in the hospital, my best friend leaving my school for a better situation, our latest super quitting abruptly over the past summer, to our current principal trying to be both super and principal and burning himself out... 

It's... been too much this year... That's why I'm not on as much anymore on top of all the mess of this organization. 

Yeah my first 8-10 years where I'm at were good working conditions, now the morale is worse than that in the Colts OLINE coaching office. 

16 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Absolutely. But we’re talking about walkthroughs, not even true practice… starting to feel like we’re finding some roots to the issues of this organization: the players.

ballards high character good locker room guys, just not good on the field

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

Apparently, you don't care enough about playing pokemon, or don't care enough about the 'prizes' to try and get better.

Yep, some of these guys have already been paid, but they'll still be evaluated.

Other's either play to get better, or don't care. Either way, they'll be evaluated.

So, if they're motivated to compete, good for them.

If they're not, it's good to learn that now.

NOW, this is all fun talk, and can be justified by how the team has played since the Raider game last season, but it IS prompted by one tweet. I'd like to hear more, but we won't, and will be left to make further assumptions when the team takes actions this offseason.

Edit: Additionally, it's O.K. for them to be down for a little while. They're human. But they're also supposed to be professionals and need to suck it up, for their careers, soon.

I've won city and state championships in pokemon, got top three in regionals, and played in nationals and worlds (made the playoffs at nationals) and won over 200 local tourneys. I just stopped playing because the game got luck-based, and my friends stopped playing. 

I agree with what you say after that though.

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

There is this thing called pride. Some people actually have some. Nobody likes getting their butt whipped every week. And some guys arent gonna sit around and just go "ok I guess we suck, no big deal."

No that isnt the only reason these guys play. Thats far too black and white to be true. Some of these guys actually love the game. They play to win. 

You are talking like they have no problem going out there and getting embarrassed on national TV and having their opponents talk trash the entire time. I assure you they do have a problem with that.

I guess I don't see the pride. If it was Reich, then Saturday isn't much better. If it's a talent issue, then that's on Ballard for picking the wrong players, and they are just doing their best. If it's an effort issue, then that's on the players, and they have no pride and don't care.

In any case, the offensive line and the QB suck at the very least, and that's dragging the team down. People like me have said we need a young, franchise QB as the rest of the conference is ahead of us now. Ballard has made excuses and kept using the band-aid QBs. Until now, the O-Line bailed us out, and now we don't even have that as a strength anymore.

So they may have a problem with losing, but this offense isn't talented enough to do anything about it. I thought originally it was the coaching, now I know it's the QB and O-Line. No coach can do anything about it. We are the Broncos, except not under as bad of a contract QB-wise.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I guess I don't see the pride. If it was Reich, then Saturday isn't much better. If it's a talent issue, then that's on Ballard for picking the wrong players, and they are just doing their best. If it's an effort issue, then that's on the players, and they have no pride and don't care.

In any case, the offensive line and the QB suck at the very least, and that's dragging the team down. People like me have said we need a young, franchise QB as the rest of the conference is ahead of us now. Ballard has made excuses and kept using the band-aid QBs. Until now, the O-Line bailed us out, and now we don't even have that as a strength anymore.

So they may have a problem with losing, but this offense isn't talented enough to do anything about it. I thought originally it was the coaching, now I know it's the QB and O-Line. No coach can do anything about it. We are the Broncos, except not under as bad of a contract QB-wise.

broncos colts makes sense. both are horses. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

How many times are you gonna make the same exactbpost Jared?

None of that has anything to do with what I said about your previous post and the claims you made in it.

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

I remember Marvin Harrison saying "they pay me to practice, that is where the hard work happens and then the game, that is when you have fun..." :) 

Yup. Sounds like Jeff is injecting focus, accountability, passion, effort, etc... 

Still not sold on Jeff, but sounds our culture/atmosphere with Frank was totally lacking. Sleep walking... 

Oooookay, this time my idea should be done…”players meeting, only!”

No coaches, no higher up muckedy mucks, no media.

The more frustration there is, the more excuses from coaches to cover up what is really going on that we don’t know about.

There could be a lot of yelling, finger pointing, punches thrown…kinda like family.

Maybe there are players that are “leaders” ready to come out.

Maybe there are players that need to complain about us fans!

Maybe there are players that have issues at home.

Maybe there are players that are having health issues but keep playing so they don’t lose their job.

This “team members, only” session can clear the air with our players.

So, the True Leaders of our team can then address issues to management , if any…or keep it to themselves.

If this is done, issues can be resolved or not…

We all do it on The Forum, express our issues…so why not our players with each other?

It’s worth a try.

You all have it made. You can go to the main headquarters and talk to the team. 
Someday, I will.

How can YOU help the team, now?

The only people that can say that this season is over are the players.

FINISH STRONG!

Mighty Blue

112DC5AC-7E31-4B66-AB5A-9EC9CADE5564.jpeg

7 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Then why does it continue to happen??

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

I honestly dont know what youre talking about.

The Colts are a competitive team. They rarely get embarrassed. 

The last three games, I'd agree with you. We've fought well. But after Christmas last year, until Saturday, we rolled over in several games. 

And to your point on pride... Not everyone has a high sense of pride (in your craft, FB or whatever) and determination. And it's less and less over the 30 years too. 

18 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

but, but Ballard only brings in high character guys.

I think it’s clear that Ballard is not as good at player evaluation as he thought. His idea was if you bring in high character guys you end up with a strong lockeroom, but the minute you bring in a high priced FA who didn’t “earn it” with the team, it can have a disastrous effect on the locker room.

In reality just paying every guy you draft and not bringing in real competition can have more of a disastrous effect on a locker room. Especially when you’re not winning.

Everything that Ballard has tried to avoid by implementing his team building philosophies, has come to fruition anyways. 

There’s more to a solid locker room than just drafting guys who were team captains and are straight laced.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it’s clear that Ballard is not as good at player evaluation as he thought. His idea was if you bring in high character guys you end up with a strong lockeroom, but the minute you bring in a high priced FA who didn’t “earn it” with the team, it can have a disastrous effect on the locker room.

In reality just paying every guy you draft and not bringing in real competition can have more of a disastrous effect on a locker room. Especially when you’re not winning.

Everything that Ballard has tried to avoid by implementing his team building philosophies, has come to fruition anyways. 

There’s more to a solid locker room than just drafting guys who were team captains and are straight laced.

I think Ballard had the right idea when he came in. He wanted to fix the line and get Andrew a running game. Mack was good. He did both but Andrew retiring screwed everything up. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The last three games, I'd agree with you. We've fought well. But after Christmas last year, until Saturday, we rolled over in several games. 

And to your point on pride... Not everyone has a high sense of pride (in your craft, FB or whatever) and determination. And it's less and less over the 30 years too. 

But so have most teams. At least a couple of times. We embarrassed Buffalo last year. The Rams have been embarrassed multiple times this year. It happens in a 16 or 17 game schedule. 

The Colts are very competitive against top level competition and they have been over the last 3 seasons. They have been in almost every game until very late.  

These are alpha males. They compete, physically, against one another, for a living. You better have some personal pride.

They just arent very good in some key areas. Thats all.

20 hours ago, CR91 said:

It's hard to make players care when the organization seems to be in disarray 

Absolutely.  I'm sure there is...if you want look close enough to find it,....a bump in the attitudes of players since Frank left.   Change alone will do that.  Fear of losing a contract will do that, out of fear of not being in the good Graces of the new guy.

Stability invites a certain amount of complacency,  Churning things can create renewed energy.  I don't see anything to suggest Saturday is creating some wave of change amongst players. 

We've always been competitive in games, for the most part.  The issue has been about being able to close out games either by getting a FD or another score when needed or getting a stop on D.  Hopefully, that's the thing that will change.

Their core attitude is still going to be driven by the unsettled nature of the big leadership issues at all levels.  We have instability at the top 4 levels of the football team.  Is the owner going to meddle again, will Ballard be our GM, will our current HC still be here, will Ryan be our QB?   All of those things weigh heavily on energy, albeit its possible to get little sparks here and there.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Ballard had the right idea when he came in. He wanted to fix the line and get Andrew a running game. Mack was good. He did both but Andrew retiring screwed everything up. 

The mindset was good in theory, but a few years in and it was apparent that his philosophy was flawed in practice. It’s not a philosophy that equates to winning.

And your strategy as a GM should not hinge on one guy. And I thinks that’s one of the biggest knocks against Ballard. He was only going as far as Luck would take him. He had no contingency plan after he retired. It almost makes you think that Ballard isn’t the guy to have as GM if your team needs a young franchise QB.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:10 AM, Smonroe said:

I hope no one thinks Saturday is the first coach to stop a practice and yell at his players?

(I speak from experience - not the yelling...more like the yelled at)

He's probably the first interim, off the set of ESPN to stop a practice and yell at his players though.  

Archived