Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No more Statues

Mr.Debonair

The NFL has been changing and the statue, sit in the pocket QB days are fading. You don’t need a Lamar Jackson or a Mike Vick. However, you do need a QB that can extend plays with their legs or pick up first downs when guys aren’t getting open. We need to get on the trend. Mahomes, Allen, Tua, Hurts, Fields, Burrow etc.

Brady and Stafford (last year) are the last of those kind for the most part. 

Yes ultimately the QB needs to deliver from the pocket. That goes without saying but I just had to reiterate. 

Last night there were multiple plays where even if we had a Brissett-type back there, we can pick up first downs or yards but the QB running.

Ballard or whoever gets the QB for the future has to make sure the player has that trait. You’re handicapping yourself if you don’t.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Thats basically hoping for the #1 pick.  Too risky to not make any moves for a qb this year 

You can still make a move at QB this year. The value in this class is in its depth. A guy like Tanner McKee or Cam Ward later in the draft for example. But acquiring extra 2024 1sts from poor teams gives you a much better shot at getting a guy like Williams. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

The NFL has been changing and the statue, sit in the pocket QB days are fading. You don’t need a Lamar Jackson or a Mike Vick. However, you do need a QB that can extend plays with their legs or pick up first downs when guys aren’t getting open. We need to get on the trend. Mahomes, Allen, Tua, Hurts, Fields, Burrow etc.

Yes ultimately the QB needs to deliver from the pocket. That goes without saying but I just had to reiterate. 

Last night there were multiple plays where even if we had a Brissett-type back there, we can pick up first downs or yards but the QB running.

Ballard or whoever gets the QB for the future has to make sure the player has that trait. You’re handicapping yourself if you don’t.

Agreed..Ryan was given his nickname, "Matty Ice" after being overtaken and engulfed by a glacier.

3 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I like Max Duggan but then again I have no idea what I am talking about. 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It limits the playbook so much when you don’t have a mobile QB.

It does but it doesn't. Tom and Peyton could not out run a turtle and they are arguably the best to ever do it. They have played recently and Tom is still playing and just won a SB 2 years ago so don't give me the game has changed. Peyton in his prime would still go 12-4 today and carve every one up. Rivers went 11-5 in 2020 and I could out run him chuckling homer simpson GIF

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It does but it doesn't. Tom and Peyton could not out run a turtle and they are arguably the best to ever do it. They have played recently and Tom is still playing and just won a SB 2 years ago so don't give me the game has changed. Peyton in his prime would still go 12-4 today and carve every one up. Rivers went 11-5 in 2020 and I could out run him chuckling homer simpson GIF

When you don’t have a mobile QB everything has to be perfect. Manning isn’t walking through the door. Statues are no more on this league.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When you don’t have a mobile QB everything has to be perfect. Manning isn’t walking through the door. Statues are no more on this league.

It is nice to have a duel QB, I would prefer it but teams can still win with statues like Peyton and Tom and Rivers and even Matt if they have good O.Line's and make smart reads.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is nice to have a duel QB, I would prefer it but teams can still win with statues like Peyton and Tom and Rivers and even Matt if they have good O.Line's and make smart reads.

Doesn’t have to be a duel QB. They have to be mobile enough to run bootlegs and take off a few times a game. Pickett was a good example of that. When we day mobile we aren’t talking Lamar Jackson or Justin fields.  Matt isn’t that smart. He doesn’t make the right reads either.

Tarkington, Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, Young.  Scramblers have always been in the NFL. 

They also have to succeed via proper decision making and passing accuracy, just like any other QB.

Give me a statue with those two skills over a mobile QB without them.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Tarkington, Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, Young.  Scramblers have always been in the NFL. 

They also have to succeed via proper decision making and passing accuracy, just like any other QB.

Give me a statue with those two skills over a mobile QB without them.  Thanks.

I loved Steve Young, he had it all. 

I think it's less about the QB and more about the oline. There seems to be a real dearth for quality pass blocking olinemen. I blame the college game since most college's are going with dual threat QB's and spread offenses. I guess it's a chicken or egg scenario but to me pass blocking has become a lost art. I suppose without a good oline then a runner who can throw sometimes is the best AKA Hurts.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2 years ago, Rivers proved you could win with your mind and not even be mobile or have a strong arm. 11-5 and we had Buffalo beat in the playoffs if not for a couple of bad breaks. Rivers had the brain to read defenses and a fast release.

Rivers mind is rare. Your not going to find that again. 

5 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

I think it's less about the QB and more about the oline. There seems to be a real dearth for quality pass blocking olinemen. I blame the college game since most college's are going with dual threat QB's and spread offenses. I guess it's a chicken or egg scenario but to me pass blocking has become a lost art. I suppose without a good oline then a runner who can throw sometimes is the best AKA Hurts.

Ryan had  plenty of time to throw. He had no velocity and zip and receivers are covered by the time the ball gets there. He holds on to the ball way to long. Won’t throw it downfield. Has slow internal clock.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt would spoil it and win 2 games. With Sam I feel comfy we lose out.

It is possible to trade up in the draft, ya know. Maybe folks have forgotten after five years of Ballard.

Just now, masterlock said:

Yep...2 games and that's all we need to see. Case closed.

About the norm for a backup QB.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He had no velocity and zip and receivers are covered by the time the ball gets there.

Most receivers are covered throughout the game, especially if they’re go to targets. This is a really dumb argument. Very few QBs make blind throws like Mahomes.

Just now, lilolemoi said:

Most receivers are covered throughout the game, especially if they’re go to targets. This is a really dumb argument. Very few QBs make blind throws like Mahomes.

It’s not. He throws ducks and his passes are easy to breakup because of no zip. I never mentioned blind throws so don’t know where that is coming from.

Archived