Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

They thought Ryan was better than Sam.  Now after seeing Ryan, they think Sam will be better than Ryan.  

I don't think its more complicated than that.    It may be just about this season and not anything long term at this point, or about job security.

It's probably exactly that simple. They thought Ryan had at least 1 more year left in him to play. They thought, after seeing the Colts go last year and get signature wins beating the Bills, Patriots, and Cardinals that the team was still talented enough with who they had on the roster to compete. So when they lost back to back and missed the playoffs, they saw the answer as the QB position. They figured that position would be enough to get this team over the hump. 

Now, we're seeing that mentality again. We're 3-3-1, and the brain trust sees the QB as the missing piece. The defense is playing well, they feel the WRs are good, that Taylor will be fine, and that Sam will be the spark. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Whats frustrating is the entire team played like crap, Taylor included.

There should have been other people benched as well.

That was wrong to put the blame on Ryan entirely

confused GIF by Call of Duty World League

Pryor still somehow not benched/cut lol.

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard is so arrogant he probably thinks he did nothing wrong.

Here you go again….         :facepalm:

The same GM who has publicly berated himself for his other mistakes will own this mess 100 percent.  He always has.   There’s no way he can’t.   Everything traces back to him.    His finger-prints are all over this season. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Interesting comment about Sams arm strength and how its gotten better.  Frank says its fine.  

"In the NFL most QBs are in a pile when it comes to arm, there are Mahomes, Allen, that are over here (separated), but most QBs are in the same pile.  Sam is in that pile." 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

No Apologies.  I understood what you were saying.  Sorry if my response sounded confrontational, it wasn't meant to be.  Like I said, I'm a bit emotional at the moment if that is actually true.

Not saying that Desmond Ridder, Malik Willis, Sam Howell, or Bailey Zappe are the answers, but you can see how Ryan basically showed what a non functioning QB looks like. 

Honestly I’m in a different camp than most here.   I think our number one problem has been the offensive line, not quarterback.   Not to say Ryan doesn’t deserve blame.   But if we had put a good O-line in front of Ryan, one that could pass block AND run block,  I think Ryan would have been much better — certainly good enough.   I think this has been one of the worst offensive line groups I’ve ever seen in more than 55 years of watching the NFL.  

There are other issues as well….  But I’ll try to save the rest for later in the year.  

I know mine likely won’t be a popular view, but I’m ok with that. 

59 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Here is more from Ryan Kelly. Not as bad when you see the entire quote.

im so over kelly he needs to go next year his attitude is terrible .   this guy makes comments like this all the time even when wentz was traded .  his play has gone down hill and he fights to have less practice as a rep for the players .    he is not a team player he is a me player . 

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Interesting comment about Sams arm strength and how its gotten better.  Frank says its fine.  

"In the NFL most QBs are in a pile when it comes to arm, there are Mahomes, Allen, that are over here (separated), but most QBs are in the same pile.  Sam is in that pile." 

ballard told him last offseason to work on arm strength .  sam put on weight and worked on his throwing motion to get more power all offseason .   you can see a big difference looking at him this preseason vs last . 

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

It's probably exactly that simple. They thought Ryan had at least 1 more year left in him to play. They thought, after seeing the Colts go last year and get signature wins beating the Bills, Patriots, and Cardinals that the team was still talented enough with who they had on the roster to compete. So when they lost back to back and missed the playoffs, they saw the answer as the QB position. They figured that position would be enough to get this team over the hump. 

Now, we're seeing that mentality again. We're 3-3-1, and the brain trust sees the QB as the missing piece. The defense is playing well, they feel the WRs are good, that Taylor will be fine, and that Sam will be the spark. 

Very well stated, but I thought it was telling that the team went to the extent they did by committing to Sam for the remainder of the season. They could have just let it play out without that announcement. 

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly I’m in a different camp than most here.   I think our number one problem has been the offensive line, not quarterback.   Not to say Ryan doesn’t deserve blame.   But if we had put a good O-line in front of Ryan, one that could pass block AND run block,  I think Ryan would have been much better — certainly good enough.   I think this has been one of the worst offensive line groups I’ve ever seen in more than 55 years of watching the NFL.  

There are other issues as well….  But I’ll try to save the rest for later in the year.  

I don't know which is worse, the oline or Ryan, 

As far as Ryan, his arm looked pretty weak before the shoulder issue.  Weaker than what I remember from last year.

Also, being a real statue ( he looks like he can run faster than Rivers but his feet aren't as shifty), I think any oline has a disadvantage in that the D can just rush to one spot with great intensity, not fearing they have to stop and change direction with a more shifty QB.  I'd take that into account when thinking about the oline.

I think the FO whiffed on Pryor.  But I think Pinter is probably better than what he showed.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im questioning how much was the oline and how much was Ryan failing to make reads quick enough and holding the ball too long.

17 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I hope y’all don’t expect a 6th round pick to play at pro bowl level. 

sam is not a normal 6th round pick he is polished played a lot in college .  his height and arm strength made him fall into the 6th round .   sam gained a lot of weight and his arm is stronger now .   you will see he is gonna play well

Back in February after the Colts traded Wentz I asked a steeler fan I worked with(he has since moved on to another job), who is going to quarterback the Colts this year? He looked at me a few moments and said, "Sam Ehlinger". I called him today to remind him of his answer and I said, what a guess! He said it wasn't a guess he just thought Elhinger was better than anyone else who would be available. Let's see how Sam does. I did put that conversation on here back in February but I can't find it, maybe someone who is more skilled at using the internet can.

4 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Back in February after the Colts traded Wentz I asked a steeler fan I worked with(he has since moved on to another job), who is going to quarterback the Colts this year? He looked at me a few moments and said, "Sam Ehlinger". I called him today to remind him of his answer and I said, what a guess! He said it wasn't a guess he just thought Elhinger was better than anyone else who would be available. Let's see how Sam does. I did put that conversation on here back in February but I can't find it, maybe someone who is more skilled at using the internet can.

your friend is a very smart man and will be proven right

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't know which is worse, the oline or Ryan, 

As far as Ryan, his arm looked pretty weak before the shoulder issue.  Weaker than what I remember from last year.

Also, being a real statue ( he looks like he can run faster than Rivers but his feet aren't as shifty), I think any oline has a disadvantage in that the D can just rush to one spot with great intensity, not fearing they have to stop and change direction with a more shifty QB.  I'd take that into account when thinking about the oline.

I think the FO whiffed on Pryor.  But I think Pinter is probably better than what he showed.

Ryans arm looked weak because he was under severe pressure.  No way to step up. 

I think the whiff in Pryor is as a starting LT. He played 3 different positions last year.  About 500 snaps, that’s about half a season.   And he graded about 75.   That’s a really good score.  He should be good….   Somewhere.   I think Pinter needs another 5-10 pounds of solid muscle.  He looked overwhelmed. 

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Im questioning how much was the oline and how much was Ryan failing to make reads quick enough and holding the ball too long.

Ryan has played 14 years before this year.  He has zero history if not making quick reads.   I think you answered your own question. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ryans arm looked weak because he was under severe pressure.  No way to step up. 

I think the whiff in Pryor is as a starting LT. He played 3 different positions last year.  About 500 snaps, that’s about half a season.   And he graded about 75.   That’s a really good score.  He should be good….   Somewhere.   I think Pinter needs another 5-10 pounds of solid muscle.  He looked overwhelmed. 

Pinter has promise.  I think Pryor is being exposed as a plodder no matter where he plays.  We should do better.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ryan has played 14 years before this year.  He has zero history if not making quick reads.   I think you answered your own question. 

Ive watched Ryan and he was not as quick as Rivers, manning, and brady at reading defense and getting ball out quick. Jags game is the one he did the best at but even then his release was slow. Another thing I noticed and Im surprised it wasnt brought up on this forum is that Ryan has played significantly worse on the road versus at home. Infact most of his turnovers happened in road games.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

I remember you posting this story earlier in the year. 

Archived