Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

He is just not Haacking it!

BlueShoe

First off, the Titans won today and deserved the win. So this is not an excuse thread. 

That said…

I’ve been watching the NFL for almost 40 years, been involved at various levels of football, and I have never seen a worse NFL punter than Matt Haack. Without question, there were a few fans in the stands who could have done a better job than Haack today. 

This defense played lights out football today. Only gave up 4 field goals to the Titans offense. To watch the Titans punter bomb punts down the field and then see Haack butcher perfect opportunities to pin the Titans deep, was the most painful part of the day for me. Our defense kept winning field position, only to have Haack give it right back to them. 

It’s not just today either. However, today should all but seal the decision for the coaching staff and front office. Haack has to go. Sign any of the top 5 to 10 punters sitting at home today, and the Colts improve tremendously overnight.

2 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

35 yd avg.  Pathetic.  

Also Rogers choices in KOR were bad too.  Our start position was bad all day. 

Agreed! Losing Rigo has really hurt this team. We had one of the better special teams units last year. This year, not so much. Chase has played well, though. 

Special Teams is certainly costing us field position this year. 

17 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

He’s been pretty decent all year except yesterday. We knew when we signed him that he wasn’t the most consistent punter out there. I don’t think we should cut him loose after 1 bad game.

I disagree. Haack has been bad all year. 

He ranks 31st in punting average (42.2), but it has been worse than that. 

52 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Nice writeup on Nolan...

Saints rookie Nolan Cooney overcame cancer, then learned to punt with help from YouTube

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31446428/saints-rookie-nolan-cooney-overcame-cancer-learned-punt-help-youtube

Our current punter is getting Haack'd from this team... 

On 10/23/2022 at 5:52 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Haack was awful today.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the Colts worked out punters this week.  

I like the kid we are bringing in. Very interesting backstory. 3 sport athlete. Played soccer instead of football in high school. Gets cancer. Beats cancer. Learns to punt a football watching YouTube videos. Walks on at Syracuse. Becomes one of the top punters in the country. With a backstory like that, it’s kind of surprising Ballard didn’t draft him. Just joking of course; Rigo is our guy when he is healthy. :) 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He was much better yesterday. His performance last week was very strange, he's never been a great punter but being that awful kick after kick came out of nowhere. And then he had a great day yesterday, including that last directional punt. 

I kind of think this is what separates the great kickers from the replaceable ones - consistency and predictability. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I kind of think this is what separates the great kickers from the replaceable ones - consistency and predictability. 

True, but one bad punt I understand. He was bad on every punt last week. Weather/wind weren't a factor, he just missed every kick. I was expecting him to be on the injury report last week, because there was no obvious reason for him to be that bad, all day long. And it's not like had been inconsistent in previous weeks, and it all finally came crashing down. That game came out of nowhere.

Then he had an excellent game yesterday. And he wasn't just kicking the ball as far as he could, these were well placed punts. 

Just a weird turnaround, and makes me wonder if something else was going on. 

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

True, but one bad punt I understand. He was bad on every punt last week. Weather/wind weren't a factor, he just missed every kick. I was expecting him to be on the injury report last week, because there was no obvious reason for him to be that bad, all day long. And it's not like had been inconsistent in previous weeks, and it all finally came crashing down. That game came out of nowhere.

Then he had an excellent game yesterday. And he wasn't just kicking the ball as far as he could, these were well placed punts. 

Just a weird turnaround, and makes me wonder if something else was going on. 

Sometimes if you make one mistake you just can’t recover and it snowballs.  It’s possible he had the first bad kick and just started thinking too much about not making another one and he just kept making them.  Then this week he hit the first one and confidence took over.

3 hours ago, Indy87 said:

Really makes you appreciate Sanchez. Dude came in and fill pats shoes nicely. Colts kicking situation is rough this year. 

Not really, Haack has placed many inside the 20 (6th in NFL) so his avg will be down because placing the kicks and Chase has exceeded all expectations and had a career year. We have many issues but kicking isnt one of them.

5 hours ago, Indy87 said:

Really makes you appreciate Sanchez. Dude came in and fill pats shoes nicely. Colts kicking situation is rough this year. 

For whatever it’s worth…..

PFF has our special teams ranked 9th overall.     Granted that's including more than our punts and FGs.   

Just saying….

7 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Not really, Haack has placed many inside the 20 (6th in NFL) so his avg will be down because placing the kicks and Chase has exceeded all expectations and had a career year. We have many issues but kicking isnt one of them.

100% agree here.

I'm not worried about ST, Haak had 1 bad game and 5 good ones.

Chase simply can make long field goals, which is way better than what we had.

Overall, since FG is more important, our kicking unit is better now than the start of the season.

Fix the ofense, leave those guys alone.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it’s worth…..

PFF has our special teams ranked 9th overall.     Granted that's including more than our punts and FGs.   

Just saying….

the STs is always pretty good. When I say the kicking is rough I just mean unproven. 

Archived