Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams Sign Colt Tackle Off Practice Squad

dw49

9 minutes ago, gspdx said:

So they are desperate enough to take a guy off of our practice squad when we are struggling to field 2 decent tackles?

Each team evaluates tackles for their systems differently. What matters to them may not matter to us highly. For example, O-lines during Peyton era were a little lighter so that they could run stretch plays and screens, and there was more zone blocking with them. We seem like more of a power blocking unit where the OL are not athletic to go out on screens and stretch plays?? I am just basing it on the history of our play calling where those aren't called with our offensive scheme or rarely called. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Each team evaluates tackles for their systems differently. What matters to them may not matter to us highly. For example, O-lines during Peyton era were a little lighter so that they could run stretch plays and screens, and there was more zone blocking with them. We seem like more of a power blocking unit where the OL are not athletic to go out on screens and stretch plays?? I am just basing it on the history of our play calling where those aren't called with our offensive scheme or rarely called. 

I hear you.  I just think this speaks to the trouble the Rams find themselves in right now.  According to the article he is 36 and has bounced around the league.  Even been at the Rams before.  I wish him well.

The last sentence says he was active for 12 games with the Cowboys last year but I thought you couldn't be put on the practice squad if you dressed in at least 9 games. Clearly, I'm wrong because it just happened but is this a new rule or did I just imagine the 9-game thing counting as a vested season?

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

The last sentence says he was active for 12 games with the Cowboys last year but I thought you couldn't be put on the practice squad if you dressed in at least 9 games. Clearly, I'm wrong because it just happened but is this a new rule or did I just imagine the 9-game thing counting as a vested season?

That rule used to be in place few years ago. 

After that, there were demands from teams in owner meeting during off-season to increase roster size, active/inactive players on game day, including veterans in PS, cutting down roster from 90 to 53(or whatever number it is now) in certain intervals, etc., 

Right now, teams have exceptions to include veteran players in practice squad with certain limits. There are more inclusion in place now with wider ruleset on how many times such a player could be placed and elevated for game day, number of veteran players that can be in a practice squad, etc., 

So, like roster cap management, now roster, injury reserve, and practice squad can be managed in a number of creative ways. 

You might have to check the relevant rules for more detailed look. 

Joe Reitz told a funny story the other day on Bowen's radio show. 

It was in training camp, 2012 and he was worried about just making the team.  They brought in this big guy, Ty Nsekhe and he and Costanzo were watching him.

They were going to do drills, one on one against a DE, which he said was unfair because the DE's had the obvious advantages.

Nsekhe draws Freeney for his one on one, and Reitz and Costanzo are thinking he's going to get schooled now.

Turns out Nsekhe stuffs Dwight.  Reitz is thinking Oh Oh, there goes my spot on the roster.  So they make him go against Dwight again, and he stuffs him again.  

Then Costanzo said he was worried about his spot on the roster.

I guess the guy must have had a good day, but he didn't make the team.

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

I hear you.  I just think this speaks to the trouble the Rams find themselves in right now.  According to the article he is 36 and has bounced around the league.  Even been at the Rams before.  I wish him well.

He's probably one of those veterans who would've worked out in all 32 organizations' facilities at some point of his career. 

He was with Vikings for a very short time a couple of years ago during off-season, before signing with another team. I guess such details aren't seen in the team list he's been, as provided by many websites. 

But... The fact that he's still around and not forgotten by the league to be forced into retirement at this age tells us that teams still may need his services if the right opportunities arise at the right time for them. He still retains value to be a low-profile starter for a less than top-51 salary in case of injuries in a team. 

8 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Practice squad rules changed a bit with Covid times. A certain number of vested vets are allowed on the PS.

Archived