Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kendall Wright body fat at 16%

Kendall Wright is now rumored to drop to round 2. I heard Todd McShay talk about him on Mike and Mike this morning. Kendall Wright was supposedly gassed at the combine after a few routes. Also, his combine 40 was around 4.6, not good for a 5'10" WR that was supposed to be a burner candidate. His body fat was 16%, which is extremely high for a smaller WR that was supposed to be in top shape.

One, having played in a spread offense, there are question marks about him mastering a bigger route tree. Also, he does not have experience in the return game to have versatility points in his favor.

Everything suggests that the Colts may be better off staying away from him, given these facts, at No.34, even if he is there.

16%is near obese which i believe is 25%Sounds off

Yeah, somewhere in the 27-30 range, I think you are close there on the "obese" category. But an athlete has to be in single digits, IMO, at the professional level, unless you are a D-lineman or O-lineman.

I'm hearing some teams now have 3rd round grade on him now. Can't really think that even at the college level a 5-10 WR could be that productive with that much extra weight. Thinking that a lot of teams are putting out some misinformation to get prospects to fall.

I dont think he was out of shape as much in college. He showed up out of shape for the combine. He did rectify it a bit like Alshon Jeffery at his Pro Day. I dont understand guys like him, Alshon Jeffery and Mike Adams. This is that job interview you have been waiting for all your life. Why on earth would you be out of shape for the biggest interview in your life?

In Mike Adams case, he knew the test was coming and still tested positive for marijuana. That means - either he has a problem he cannot control, or he is stupid or he does not care, all of which are not good at the next level. The combine positive test counts as 1 strike against you if you make it to the NFL. Two strikes is a four game suspension. Three strikes is a one year suspension.

Doesnt mean anything considering you cant put on muscle without the fat that comes with it. Which means all athletes are around that area at this time of year, then come training camp/summer is when an athlete goes to more conditioning instead of bulking up which cuts the fat. He can easily take that 16% and turn it into 12-8% by week 1, which is where you want to be.

Kendall Wright is now rumored to drop to round 2. I heard Todd McShay talk about him on Mike and Mike this morning. Kendall Wright was supposedly gassed at the combine after a few routes. Also, his combine 40 was around 4.6, not good for a 5'10" WR that was supposed to be a burner candidate. His body fat was 16%, which is extremely high for a smaller WR that was supposed to be in top shape.

One, having played in a spread offense, there are question marks about him mastering a bigger route tree. Also, he does not have experience in the return game to have versatility points in his favor.

Everything suggests that the Colts may be better off staying away from him, given these facts, at No.34, even if he is there.

didnt he run 4.4 at baylors pro day?

15% is healthy, sure... but we shouldn't be applying ordinary human standards to a professional athlete playing a position predicated on speed and agility. He should be closer to half that.

Not going to lie, though, I hope he drops like a rock in the draft and the Skins have a chance to grab him in the 3rd.

16% is not really that much. Back when I used to bodybuild, I noticed you can still be pretty ripped and have six pack abs at 15%.

problem is..he doesn't looked ripped at all. plus,if i remember correctly he benched 225 exactly 2 times.

The Colts should leave him alone regardless of his body weight or speed. I have a gut feeling someone nice will fall into the Colts' lap @ 34...

if by some miracle he's still there at the top of the 3rd round, though... we gotta grab him up and hire Richard Simmons to make him sweat it :dancing: out

Doesn't mean as much since he wasn't out of shape at his pro day. While it still does raise questions, this is not a killer "don't draft him" situation. That's just overreaction. He ran in the 4.4 range at his pro day, looked to be in very good shape that day and also did a good job overall his pro day. It's something to keep an eye on if you take him, but I'm not going to dock him a full around or ignore him completely because of one bad day. If you think he should looked ripped or look like a freak you must not really understand an athlete that well. Not every is going to be Calvin Johnson freakish or Lebron James freakish when it comes to body type. If you look at Kevin Thomas the dude is flat out a twig and looks like he would blow over or away if it got a little bit windy, but the guy can play and is an athlete. Jerry Rice coming out of college didn't looked ripped and didn't look like a guy who was a world class athlete as well and people thought he was "slow". Looks are deceiving at times and this is likely one of those situations.

As I remember, Kevin Thomas did 19 bench reps, but he looks so small. Also like another poster said, if we were gonna draft a fat out of shape receiver, id go with Alshon Jeffrey. I also saw someone say they heard Edgerrin James had 2% body fat. No. Thats like olympic or Mr. Universe builders type stuff. I say Edge had like 8-10 body fat percentage..

As I remember, Kevin Thomas did 19 bench reps, but he looks so small. Also like another poster said, if we were gonna draft a fat out of shape receiver, id go with Alshon Jeffrey. I also saw someone say they heard Edgerrin James had 2% body fat. No. Thats like olympic or Mr. Universe builders type stuff. I say Edge had like 8-10 body fat percentage..

It was actually 3% body fat (I missed by 1%) as stated by Bill Polian. Midway down in the article....

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1999-10-08/sports/9910080005_1_edgerrin-james-cooking-colts-practice-facility

It was actually 3% body fat (I missed by 1%) as stated by Bill Polian. Midway down in the article....

http://articles.sun-...actice-facility

3% bodyfat is terrible for you, even moreso if you're an athlete. That's actually liable to get you killed if you maintain it for any appreciable amount of time. It's far more likely that Polian misremembered or that he was given an inaccurate reading (it can be hard to accurately gauge bodyfat).

5% is generally the lowest you want to get to but you have to manage your food intake extremely closely to stay there and be able to perform there. I'd hazard to guess that 8-12% is probably ideal for most NFL skill position players as you're not toeing the line so closely and that extra little bit of fat actually cushions your body somewhat against blows.

I also saw someone say they heard Edgerrin James had 2% body fat. No. Thats like olympic or Mr. Universe builders type stuff. I say Edge had like 8-10 body fat percentage..

Even high level bodybuilders don't get that low. Some of them will claim to be below 4% but that's unlikely, not to mention that it's a state that is virtually impossible to maintain for more than a few hours as it generally requires no small measure of dehydration to achieve. Once you get under 5% you're dangerously close to being below the essential fat threshold that prevents you from keeling over outright.

3% bodyfat is terrible for you, even moreso if you're an athlete. That's actually liable to get you killed if you maintain it for any appreciable amount of time. It's far more likely that Polian misremembered or that he was given an inaccurate reading (it can be hard to accurately gauge bodyfat).

5% is generally the lowest you want to get to but you have to manage your food intake extremely closely to stay there and be able to perform there. I'd hazard to guess that 8-12% is probably ideal for most NFL skill position players as you're not toeing the line so closely and that extra little bit of fat actually cushions your body somewhat against blows.

Even high level bodybuilders don't get that low. Some of them will claim to be below 4% but that's unlikely, not to mention that it's a state that is virtually impossible to maintain for more than a few hours as it generally requires no small measure of dehydration to achieve. Once you get under 5% you're dangerously close to being below the essential fat threshold that prevents you from keeling over outright.

You're just mad that you are #2

If he's running 4.6 and at 16% body fat, I'm not drafting him period.

His combine 40 time was alot slower then his proday because his arm moved beofre he started running, any movement starts the 40 clock. Nfl netword was showing it in March.