Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Foles signing with Colts 5/23

CR91

56 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Definitely different. A cheap Foles deal is far more logical.

As much as some want to bash us for paying JB the money we payed him, it doesn't compare to some of the other GM's/teams have done. Houston paid Brock Osweiler 72 Mill for 4 years and guaranteed him 37 Mill. That is laughable! At the time Ballard paid JB it was only for 2 years and not near that of Brock and we were put on a spot with Andrew retiring.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

I've said it before. Why do Ballard and the Colts even draft qbs if they are not confident they can play. No on Nick Foles. Ehilinger as back up. If he doesn't play you never will know if he's the next Tom Brady. No i am not comparing him to Brady nust an example. 

Because there’s far more upside than there is downside.  If you hit on an Eason or Ehlinger, then you’ve filled a key spot — backup QB — for a small cost, both in picks and salary.   And if we’re wrong, the cost invested is minor.  Historically speaking only a small percentage of 6th round picks make it.  The Colts have a higher than average success rate with later round picks.   Even the 4 for Eason is not high if it works out.  

A veteran backup costs more in salary.  Perhaps far more.   The risk/reward ratio makes it worth it for the team. 

Again if this was a rebuilding roster and not expected to win playoff games you take a chance and let Sam be backup. With this team expected to make playoffs and win playoff games you don’t take a risk like this. 

I am so impressed with the depth that has been built. Usually Ballard fixes a area but weakens another. I don’t see any weak spots so far except one more WR.

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Again if this was a rebuilding roster and not expected to win playoff games you take a chance and let Sam be backup. With this team expected to make playoffs and win playoff games you don’t take a risk like this. 

I am so impressed with the depth that has been built. Usually Ballard fixes a area but weakens another. I don’t see any weak spots so far except one more WR.

Speaking of WR I read an interesting article advocating OBJ as a serious option for the Colts.  He openly came out in favor of and liking the trade for Ryan.  The Colts could take their time evaluating the position and move on OBJ if his injury recovery looks good.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Speaking of WR I read an interesting article advocating OBJ as a serious option for the Colts.  He openly came out in favor of and liking the trade for Ryan.  The Colts could take their time evaluating the position and move on OBJ if his injury recovery looks good.

That would be all well and good if he could start the season. Not sure where he is in rehab. Does no good if he can’t play until NOV.

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I wonder if it will be a one or two year deal. Maybe they will want him for the same length as we know Ryan is here. I guess though even if it’s a one year deal it probably wouldn’t be hard to sign him for another year.

I have not seen this on ESPN. Is it a done deal?

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ll believe it when the report is made on ESPN and NFL.com.   

Until then….   

He's pretty legit. He got Gilmore correct and Bobby Wagner to the Rams

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Or.....

He guessed Gilmore correct and Bobby Wagner to the Rams

Possible, but the guy even got invited to the draft as a media personal. I think he's on the up and up

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

He's pretty legit. He got Gilmore correct and Bobby Wagner to the Rams

This is like saying the sun is coming up tomorrow and then people are impressed when it does.    It appears this IS going to happen, the only question is when?

He’s reporting that the deal is done.  Ok, but If so, I’m expecting an announcement from the Colts no later than Monday.   And it might even leak out tomorrow from more authoritative media.   But if it isn’t official by sometime Monday, then I think he jumped the gun.  Because if it’s done as he claims, then the announcement should come quickly. 

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is like saying the sun is coming up tomorrow and then people are impressed when it does.    It appears this IS going to happen, the only question is when?

He’s reporting that the deal is done.  Ok, but If so, I’m expecting an announcement from the Colts no later than Monday.   And it might even leak out tomorrow from more authoritative media.   But if it isn’t official by sometime Monday, then I think he jumped the gun.  Because if it’s done as he claims, then the announcement should come quickly. 

Guess we'll find out soon.

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I don’t get it. A lot of people mad on Twitter too. 

There are the things to factor in here. 1. Foles hasn't been good or has been injured since 2019, 2. If Matt Ryan gets injured the season is probably over anyway, 3. If Sam is any good at all, why bring Foles in? Ballard and Frank both must think Sam stinks if we bring in Foles. I for one am ok with bringing Foles in but on the real cheap, but that doesn't say much for Sam at that point. 

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We needed a vet backup QB, but I can't say I'm thrilled about another Reich reclamation project.

I like FitzMagic better but he would probably cost more. I personally would just roll with Sam because If Matt misses more 2 or 3 games we are done anyway. I could see Fitz winning a couple of games though. Foles hasn't been good since 2018.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like FitzMagic better but he would probably cost more. I personally would just roll with Sam because If Matt misses more 2 or 3 games we are done anyway. I could see Fitz winning a couple of games though. Foles hasn't been good since 2018.

If Ryan losses 2-3 games and we can win just one of them the season isn't necessarily over and Foles probably gives us a better chance of that than Ehlinger. I'm just not thrilled about taking in another of Reich's guys this soon after Wentz...

Just now, Solid84 said:

If Ryan losses 2-3 games and we can win just one of them the season isn't necessarily over and Foles probably gives us a better chance of that than Ehlinger. I'm just not thrilled about taking in another of Reich's guys this soon after Wentz...

I am ok with Foles as long as it is cheap. I don't think Foles would be a locker room problem because he is close to Frank (some may though). Matt Ryan is just simply better, so I don't see that being a problem. What does it is say for Sam though is my issue if we are trying to find another backup for Matt? I would just stick with Matt and Sam. 

On 5/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As much as some want to bash us for paying JB the money we payed him, it doesn't compare to some of the other GM's/teams have done. Houston paid Brock Osweiler 72 Mill for 4 years and guaranteed him 37 Mill. That is laughable! At the time Ballard paid JB it was only for 2 years and not near that of Brock and we were put on a spot with Andrew retiring.

Not being as laughable as some move HOU did (one of the worst organizations in sports at the time) doesn’t really make it better.

But since we are talking about Foles in this thread…

JB’s $30M and $30M cap hit from 2019-20 is nearly identical to the $30.125M cash and cap hit that JAC gave Foles during that same time. 

Colts won 7 games in 2019…JAC won 6.

Then the Colts got an extra year as a backup from JB in 2020 at a $21M cap hit…and JAC had to eat $19M in dead cap when they traded Foles, but got back a 4th round pick.

Close cap hits in 2020, just different types of meh value in return. 

But despite this reality of how similar  those deals ended up, the perceptions of both deals are night and day.

But to the point of this thread, I think signing Foles cheap right now makes perfect sense. 

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fitzpatrick suffered a dislocated hip at age 39 and had surgery on it in December.  

Getting two years of backup QB play out of him probably seems too risky. Whereas Foles is only 33 and a sure thing (at least health wise).

My memory could definitely be cloudy, but I feel like I remember him looking not bad for Chicago. I remember myself saying “they can’t put Fields back in” (which is dumb because you can always play your QB of the future over a career backup that’s outplaying him). But yeah. He looked solid last I saw him I think. He sparked the Chicago offense. 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Not being as laughable as some move HOU did (one of the worst organizations in sports at the time) doesn’t really make it better.

But since we are talking about Foles in this thread…

JB’s $30M and $30M cap hit from 2019-20 is nearly identical to the $30.125M cash and cap hit that JAC gave Foles during that same time. 

Colts won 7 games in 2019…JAC won 6.

Then the Colts got an extra year as a backup from JB in 2020 at a $21M cap hit…and JAC had to eat $19M in dead cap when they traded Foles, but got back a 4th round pick.

Close cap hits in 2020, just different types of meh value in return. 

But despite this reality of how similar  those deals ended up, the perceptions of both deals are night and day.

But to the point of this thread, I think signing Foles cheap right now makes perfect sense. 

A lot of bad moves in reality by those teams. If Andrew wouldn't of retired, JB would've never got that deal 'to be a backup' and it was only for 2 years. He got that deal because Ballard believed he could be a quality starter. Even Ballard makes mistakes. I still think the Brock deal was much worse because Houston actually thought he could be their franchise QB and paid a lot more than what JB was making. Back to Foles, If we can get Foles for cheap then I would be ok with it. I guess at that point we don't think much of Sam though.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Fitzpatrick suffered a dislocated hip at age 39 and had surgery on it in December.  

Getting two years of backup QB play out of him probably seems too risky. Whereas Foles is only 33 and a sure thing (at least health wise).

I have been hearing Fitz should be healthy by the beginning of the season but hard telling.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Saying we are done if Ryan misses 2 or 3 games is total nonsense.  You want to roll with Sam and give up on the season because losing is inevitable if we lose Ryan. Total nonsense.  You better believe the players don't feel like you.   If they had confidence in Sam don't you think they would be sticking with Sam?  They obviously don't think he is the guy.  And I would bet the players know he is not the guy.  All of this love for a developmental 6th rd pick is remarkable.  Adding Foles is going to excite this team.  They know the team is adding a much better player player to be no 2 and giving them a much better chance to win games if Matt is out.  That's what they all want.  Foles will give them that opportunity.  And I don't care what we pay Foles.  If the team and player is happy with the contract so be it.  BTW It wouldn't surprise me at all if it's a two year contract. He's only 33.  They just might do it. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

Saying we are done if Ryan misses 2 or 3 games is total nonsense.  You want to roll with Sam and give up on the season because losing is inevitable if we lose Ryan. Total nonsense.  You better believe the players don't feel like you.   If they had confidence in Sam don't you think they would be sticking with Sam?  They obviously don't think he is the guy.  And I would bet the players know he is not the guy.  All of this love for a developmental 6th rd pick is remarkable.  Adding Foles is going to excite this team.  They know the team is adding a much better player player to be no 2 and giving them a much better chance to win games if Matt is out.  That's what they all want.  Foles will give them that opportunity.  And I don't care what we pay Foles.  If the team and player is happy with the contract so be it.  BTW It wouldn't surprise me at all if it's a two year contract. He's only 33.  They just might do it. 

Could be but Foles is not on Matt Ryan's level. Could he win us a few games, maybe? 

1 hour ago, 07dleigh said:

How can anyone be upset about signing a back up that’s come off the bench and won a super bowl lol. A QB room could be a lot worse than Matt Ryan/Nick Foles. Nice 

I don’t get it. I am sure the Wentz experiment added a certain stigma to Reich-connected QBs.

But Foles and Wentz are very different QBs. Foles is like JB in the locker room, but with actual success, and in the most important moments too. 

He’s 4-3 in the playoffs. And has never lost by more than 6 points.

If somebody is confident about a 37 year-old Matt Ryan bouncing back to being a high level starting QB…then how can you not get confident that a 33 year-old Foles can bounce back to being a high-level BACKUP. Makes no real sense. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The funniest thing of all-time would be if Foles came here and won a SB the year after Wentz leaves if Matt did go down.

I would generally worry about Wentz’s mental state at that point. That would just be too many kicks in the nuts.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

I don’t get it. I am sure the Wentz experiment added a certain stigma to Reich-connected QBs.

But Foles and Wentz are very different QBs. Foles is like JB in the locker room, but with actual success, and in the most important moments too. 

He’s 4-3 in the playoffs. And has never lost by more than 6 points.

If somebody is confident about a 37 year-old Matt Ryan bouncing back to being a high level starting QB…then how can you not get confident that a 33 year-old Foles can bounce back to being a high-level BACKUP. Makes no real sense. 

I am fine with Foles but to say he is anywhere near better than Matt Ryan is silly. Yeah he won a SB and Matt lost one (Matt actually was up 28-3 against that same team, their D lost that imo) but that aside, Matt by any measure is a top 25 QB of all-time and I have full faith in Matt Ryan playing like he did in 2016 with the roster we have. People thought Peyton was toast after he left here and he set records in Denver and won another SB on his last leg. 

Archived