Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wide Receivers You can See Being Available When Colts Come In the Draft?

3 hours ago, Dr. T said:

I guess my question for pick #42 is this: do we want the #6-7 WR or possibly the #1-2 TE on the board? I would rather the latter. WRs that fit our needs can be had in later rounds.

If the Top 5 WRs are gone, I would go for the best defensive back or OT available at #42. We could have a Top 3 safety sitting there that fits Bradley's system, could become our Earl Thomas, you never know. Or a CB whose value for our system far exceeds his draft projection?? Heck, Braden Smith was rated a Round 3 prospect that could become an average starter, we know how it turned out. We have to keep our minds and options open, IMO.

That is just me. :) 

On 3/28/2022 at 8:32 AM, Dr. T said:

I guess my question for pick #42 is this: do we want the #6-7 WR or possibly the #1-2 TE on the board? I would rather the latter. WRs that fit our needs can be had in later rounds.

I’m even looking at the safety, corner, and OT in that spot. There’s a drop off in WR talent after the first 6 guys, where I don’t know if there’s really value there at pick 42. Also I’m not sure if I like any TE at 42 tbh. 

On 3/26/2022 at 8:41 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Has he run his Pro Day yet?

It was today, unfortunately did not improve his speed, but his route running was crisp.

David Bell:  40-yard Dash - 4.68 (Did not participate in Vertical Jump, Broad Jump, 3-Cone, Bench Press, or Shuttle)

7 hours ago, HOZER said:

It was today, unfortunately did not improve his speed, but his route running was crisp.

David Bell:  40-yard Dash - 4.68 (Did not participate in Vertical Jump, Broad Jump, 3-Cone, Bench Press, or Shuttle)

The guy has some great tape, but sheeze...... 4.68 40.....  

He might be the slowest WR in the NFL

Unless there is some injury, that has caused this, he may slide quite a bit

On 3/22/2022 at 7:44 PM, Defjamz26 said:

At 42 I think Jalen Tolbert Will be there. I really like him. He’s got some Route running ability. You give him a year or two with Wayne as his receiver coach? That could be magic.

I really like him on film and so does Lance Zierlein. Zierlein had way more good to say about him than bad.

Would be a solid pickup in my opinion.

On 3/24/2022 at 3:57 PM, chad72 said:

Let me know what you think of Danny Gray, he is growing on me. I see the number of ways he was used (slot, outside, reverses, crossers), I think he should be our guy. He has got some good juke in his shoes.

The first game I watched was vs Houston and I wasn't overly impressed. He looks to have have speed, but his route running is on very rudimentary level. Even with his speed he didn't create much separation on technical routes. He did have a few good contested catches, though. Then in other games I saw some of the things that make him intriguing - he actually has a lot of speed both on deep routes and in after the catch situations. There are some problems with his hands. I'm not sure he attacks the ball the way I like a WR to. He's seemed a bit lackadaisical with his blocking. He might be a good shot to take in the 4th-5th round or thereabout? I personally like other receivers better on day 2. :dunno:

I really think that we have two holes at WR

- Slot

- Outside

I want to think (HOPE) that Patmon, Dulles,  or Strahan can start this year and contribute greatly at the OTHER outside WR spot

My gut says otherwise

I want to think (HOPE) that we will get one more year out of Hilton, or that Campbell will finally shake the injury bug

My guts says otherwise

We need a TE, and TWO WRs

Just watched Khalil Shakir. Why are people not talking more about him? He might be the best slot receiver in this draft? I don't know how high one wants to draft a slot WR, but... holy hell, he's so good. He catches everything, he has competitive toughness and he's very deliberate after the catch... seems to be reading the defenders after the catch and making good decisions about where to go with the ball based on that. I wouldn't call him explosive but he does have speed to separate and shiftiness in short area to evade tackles. 

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just watched Khalil Shakir. Why are people not talking more about him? He might be the best slot receiver in this draft? I don't know how high one wants to draft a slot WR, but... holy hell, he's so good. He catches everything, he has competitive toughness and he's very deliberate after the catch... seems to be reading the defenders after the catch and making good decisions about where to go with the ball based on that. I wouldn't call him explosive but he does have speed to separate and shiftiness in short area to evade tackles. 

Probably because people become enamored with physical traits like height, weight, and speed. Shakir doesn't excel in any of those, but he's absolutely a stud Slot WR.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

Probably because people become enamored with physical traits like height, weight, and speed. Shakir doesn't excel in any of those, but he's absolutely a stud Slot WR.

Yup. Khalil will be the guy who after the next season, people will be scratching their head as to how he was picked so late.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

I’ll have to watch more tape. When I initially watched I didn’t see anything special. He reminded me of Tylan Wallace when I watched , who I may have been way too high on last year in the draft. 

6 hours ago, Shive said:

Shakir is 6’0 about 190, he’s sub-4.5 plus he’s got Ballard level character.   He is said to run good routes and has very good hands. 

The only negatives I’ve found are short arms and small hands.    But they have not impacted him so far.   He’s a guy who could get picked in R3,  he’s going to have some flaws.  

10 hours ago, krunk said:

I really like him on film and so does Lance Zierlein. Zierlein had way more good to say about him than bad.

Would be a solid pickup in my opinion.

Credit to poster @DougDew   He has been banging the table for Tolbert longer and louder than anyone else.   I love Tolbert.  I think he’s a target for us in R2, perhaps even if we trade back toward pick 50. 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Actually quite a few of us on here are on his bandwagon, more then most media types it seems. We shall see where he lands.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Credit to poster @DougDew   He has been banging the table for Tolbert longer and louder than anyone else.   I love Tolbert.  I think he’s a target for us in R2, perhaps even if we trade back toward pick 50. 

Tolbert is good. I like him a lot too. This is another draft class where you have tons and tons of great day 2 wide outs prospects. And if you are lucky some of them might even drop to you in the 4th...

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I like both of the Ohio State guys Olave and Wilson.  Im assuming neither will be in play for us though.

Maybe Wilson.

For what it’s worth….

Ive never seen a mock, anyone’s mock, that  didn’t have Wilson in the first.   

And most have Wilson higher than Olave. 

Two WRs that we should be talking about for us are Bo Melton and Velus Jones Jr. Melton has a 9.21 RAS and was a team captain and senior bowl guy.

Jones is 25 years old already but he was a Senior Bowl guy and had a 9.06 RAS. Not a captain, but he has his masters degree already and is noted for being a good leader.

These are both guys with 4.3 speed who could be available on day 3.

After digging in more, I am jumping on the Skyy Moore hype train. Excellent route runner, does really well working across the middle of the field, good contact balance, great hands, quick acceleration, and high-end speed. I also love that he was a QB & CB in high school, so he has a unique perspective as a WR that has really helped him. 

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

After digging in more, I am jumping on the Skyy Moore hype train. Excellent route runner, does really well working across the middle of the field, good contact balance, great hands, quick acceleration, and high-end speed. I also love that he was a QB & CB in high school, so he has a unique perspective as a WR that has really helped him. 

If we pick a WR in the second, Moore would be my choice.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 10:25 PM, Boss7894 said:

I don’t even watch college football that much tbh but I liked the kid from Alabama that did the flying Lotus thing but I don’t know if he will be healed up or even available

I am a huge college football fan, Alabama Alumni and raised a GA Bulldog.

Stay away from Pickens, there are huge red flags with him both on and off the field. It's really too bad too, he has great talent but is a head case and has been ejected from a game for throwing punches when his team with up by 40.

Regarding John Metchie at Alabama., he is as solid as they come! He would be a great #2 receiver on any team, he is 6' about 200lbs and fast. No character issues at all, never got in any trouble while at Bama, played hard every down. I am posting his highlights and remember he is playing against SEC defenses, playing against the GA defense that just had 5 defensive players selected in the 1st round. He got injured in that game, but like Jameson Williams, he will bounce back quickly.

I made this call last night, Alec Pierce. He’s big and fast. You can look at the NFL page and see things on him, but I like Walter football because they have been the most accurate over the past several years. 
Pierce is going to grow into a Julio Jones type (don’t take that wrong-I don’t think he will be as good as Julio-but play his role). He can win the jump ball with his size and aggressive play.  Good speed for his size.

He’ll be a role player this season, but can grow into a bigger role for sure. 

Archived