Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wide Receivers You can See Being Available When Colts Come In the Draft?

40 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

I don’t even watch college football that much tbh but I liked the kid from Alabama that did the flying Lotus thing but I don’t know if he will be healed up or even available

I think he will go in the late 1st. Buffalo would be a great landing spot for him

I’d like to see Skyy Moore or Calvin Austin, since I’m a little more worried about finding a slot option.  Both should be there at 42, and possibly there for our 3rd round picks.  I’m not sure that WR will end up being a Day 2 priority for us, though.  If not, I think Jerreth Sterns is a great, underrated late option for us…

• Like 1

Christian Watson had a very good post season and he probably doesn't get past GB in the late first round.  

I think Alec Pierce will be there at 42.  Fast down field threat with great hands.  Jordy Nelson type. 6'3"

Jalen Tolbert will be there, but maybe even at pick 73.  Another fast outside guy.  6' 1"

Skye Moore had a good post season.  But he's a shorter slot.  I'm for rolling with PC and signing TY for the slot roll.  Can't fill every hole this offseason, IMO.  I want the other outside speed guy to match with Pittman right now.  Strachan and Patmon are backups, IMO.

I think Pickens is the guy with the most upside that could be there.  Other guys with size that can be more of a solid #2 outside would be Tolbert, Pierce, Ross. 
smaller guys like Metchie, Moore, Shakir could be more slot guys with outside abilities.  
then small quick mismatch guys like Austin and Robinson. 

I’d really like to get a big guy and a small guy if the draft allows for it. Or a big guy for outside and Kyle Philips for the slot. 

On 3/22/2022 at 8:57 AM, DougDew said:

Christian Watson had a very good post season and he probably doesn't get past GB in the late first round.  

I think Alec Pierce will be there at 42.  Fast down field threat with great hands.  Jordy Nelson type. 6'3"

Jalen Tolbert will be there, but maybe even at pick 73.  Another fast outside guy.  6' 1"

Skye Moore had a good post season.  But he's a shorter slot.  I'm for rolling with PC and signing TY for the slot roll.  Can't fill every hole this offseason, IMO.  I want the other outside speed guy to match with Pittman right now.  Strachan and Patmon are backups, IMO.

I agree about Watson. With GB and KC now needing WR’s I think Watson is gone by 42.  

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:50 AM, DaColts85 said:

There will be plenty of options at 42. Tolbert, Sky Moore, Metchie, Pickens, Shakir, Dotson, Watson, and David Bell. All solid options. 

David Bell was a stud for Purdue, not the fastest receiver but has a knack for getting open and catching anything thrown his way. Great route running receiver.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HOZER said:

David Bell was a stud for Purdue, not the fastest receiver but has a knack for getting open and catching anything thrown his way. Great route running receiver.

Sounds like another former Colts WR who is now the WR coach….  I want Bell bad in the draft.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sounds like another former Colts WR who is now the WR coach….  I want Bell bad in the draft.

I need to see a slightly better 40 from Bell at his pro day but I do see the potential. Not every slow receiver is Cooper Kupp/Jarvis Landry. He doesn’t need to hit the 4.4’s but I’d like to see him at least get into the 4.5 range.

If not I’d rather have Jalen Tolbert who is the same player but faster and probably a better route runner. 

53 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I need to see a slightly better 40 from Bell at his pro day but I do see the potential. Not every slow receiver is Cooper Kupp/Jarvis Landry. He doesn’t need to hit the 4.4’s but I’d like to see him at least get into the 4.5 range.

If not I’d rather have Jalen Tolbert who is the same player but faster and probably a better route runner. 

His speed doesn’t bother me at all. He runs a great route tree and that’s how good WR’s get open in the pros. A straight burner can still easily get shutdown. Plus Bell has very good hands. I’ll take that any day of the week. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

His speed doesn’t bother me at all. He runs a great route tree and that’s how good WR’s get open in the pros. A straight burner can still easily get shutdown. Plus Bell has very good hands. I’ll take that any day of the week. 

For sure. Like I said I’d just like to see him show he can run slightly faster. He’s not a blazer, but I’d like to see what hi versatility is. Maybe you can sell me on him before the draft, but right now I feel like Tolbert is the better player.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

For sure. Like I said I’d just like to see him show he can run slightly faster. He’s not a blazer, but I’d like to see what hi versatility is. Maybe you can sell me on him before the draft, but right now I feel like Tolbert is the better player.

I haven’t seen enough of Tolbert to know his routes. Again just a fast 40 doesn’t do it for me. Heyward-Bey was fast too. 

12 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I haven’t seen enough of Tolbert to know his routes. Again just a fast 40 doesn’t do it for me. Heyward-Bey was fast too. 

Well Tolbert didn’t run that fast. It was a 4.49 which is fast enough. He’s not a burner at all, but he’s really smooth and polished. He ate up the Tennessee corners when he played them and one of those guys (Alontae Taylor) will likely be a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Tolbert's 3-cone drill is a good number for a tall guy, IMO. Will have to do more research on his game film but he would probably fit outside just fine.

YAC potential, given the history of SMU wideouts in the NFL, I would take a look at Danny Gray. Of course there is this forum favorite Skyy Moore but he lacks separation skills. Danny Gray could be like a young Emmanuel Sanders (SMU comparison) and will separate and has great YAC potential. Gray should be there at the end of Round 3 for us, and probably be able to play inside and outside.

• Like 1

I was just watching Wan'Dale Robinson and I think I fell in love... with his QB - Will Levis. Early favorite for next year's draft :D 

On the WRs that might be available... 

Very very small chance, but not likely: Chris Olave, Treylon Burks

50-50 chance: Skyy Moore, Jahan Dotson

Likely will be there: George Pickens, Jalen Tolbert, Christian Watson, Justyn Ross, Alec Pierce, John Metchie, Calvin Austin, Wan'Dale Robinson

My personal favorites - Olave, Burks, Skyy Moore, Pickens, Tolbert, Metchie, Austin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I was just watching Wan'Dale Robinson and I think I fell in love... with his QB - Will Levis. Early favorite for next year's draft :D 

Let me know what you think of Danny Gray, he is growing on me. I see the number of ways he was used (slot, outside, reverses, crossers), I think he should be our guy. He has got some good juke in his shoes.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Let me know what you think of Danny Gray, he is growing on me. I see the number of ways he was used (slot, outside, reverses, crossers), I think he should be our guy. He has got some good juke in his shoes.

Have not watched him. 

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

I’m going to watch him now. The speed intrigues me.

• Like 1

Quick thoughts on Gray:

-Very thin

-Tested well and the speed shows up on tape

-Didn’t see much in regards to route running ability

-I swear 95% of the plays where he went for big yards we’re drag routes and go routes.

-Ability to catch in traffic and win 50/50 balls are incredible given his build. Very strong at the point of attack

High upside but very raw IMO. Ran 3 routes in college. Definitely a day 3 pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Quick thoughts on Gray:

-Very thin

-I swear 95% of the plays where he went for big yards we’re drag routes and go routes.

-Ability to catch in traffic and win 50/50 balls are incredible given his build. Very strong at the point of attack

Most folks have him pegged as a Round 4 pick, sounds about right but I would be fine if he was snagged at the end of Round 3. 

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Kevin Austin of Notre Dame could be this draft crop's Chase Claypool, IMO. We will see if it is just a case of him testing well. 

Jahan Dotson and Jalen Tolbert are the experienced route runners and catchers I would like, if I had to choose. When T Y Hilton came out, other than the speed TY had, he was a 4 year starter that gave him a leg up on experience to hit the ground running, IMO, there are not many 4 year starters amongst WRs declaring for the draft nowadays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Quick thoughts on Gray:

-Very thin

Gray had a bad season of drops in 2021 which is why he is off my draft board and have Skyy higher at this point.  Velus Jones is another player had grouped together with Gray and Skyy and have Jones above Gray.  Jones is a Tennessee kid and would love for the Titans to draft him.  

What do you guys think of George Pickens? I’ve been ignoring him simply because I feel he’s an X receiver and that’s where Pittman plays, But I wonder if you can’t put Pickens in the slot. He’s got some solid route running ability.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

What do you guys think of George Pickens? I’ve been ignoring him simply because I feel he’s an X receiver and that’s where Pittman plays, But I wonder if you can’t put Pickens in the slot. He’s got some solid route running ability.

Pickens did test well and has played against better SEC competition, Alec Pierce is another similar X that tested well. Matt Ryan is a hit-in-rhythm type of guy who does not throw too many jump balls, so I would invest in a route runner that separates as opposed to a contested catch guy who would probably be more ideal if we had Wentz with him throwing high or inaccurate enough times. Even lot of Luck's throws that sailed high had to be high pointed by Wayne for his catches, IMO.

When Peyton was here, that is the reason our WRs in Wayne and Harrison were just close to 6'0" that could run great routes as opposed to those tall WRs we used to / still get enamored with. Rivers would throw it up to Gates, Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, MAC types because he was a different type of QB but Peyton rarely threw jump balls and if a throw looked like a jump ball throw, it was more likely a helmet level, on the outside shoulder, away from the defender throw in the end zone. Matt Ryan is more a Peyton like QB. If I am drafting for him, I go after Dotson or Tolbert first before anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW I thought this was a good site with a lot of analysis and stats on players for the draft (that said, sometimes they contradict themselves in the Pros/Cons sections)...here's the WR link: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/WR/1/2022

Offhand IMO of the guys I expect to be around when we draft the top ones look like: 

Moore

Mitchie (maybe)

Austin

Watson

Bell

Of those I like Moore and Mitchie the most. Austin's shrimpy size worries me at the next level, Watson has a history of unreliable hands, and Bell is both slow and a head case loser, the last thing we need. Pickens is also a head case.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 8:27 PM, HOZER said:

You wonder where he ends up

If he would have ran a 4.4, he would be early 2nd at 4.65, he MIGHT end up being in the 3rd

His tape is very good

Has he run his Pro Day yet?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

so I would invest in a route runner that separates as opposed to a contested catch guy 

I agree with this 1000%

Separation guys gets the safetys to play back a bit deeper

This helps the run game and play action

On 3/24/2022 at 8:56 AM, stitches said:

On the WRs that might be available... 

Very very small chance, but not likely: Chris Olave, Treylon Burks

50-50 chance: Skyy Moore, Jahan Dotson

Likely will be there: George Pickens, Jalen Tolbert, Christian Watson, Justyn Ross, Alec Pierce, John Metchie, Calvin Austin, Wan'Dale Robinson

My personal favorites - Olave, Burks, Skyy Moore, Pickens, Tolbert, Metchie, Austin

Olave would be my favorite

Great Jets...... ready to contribute at a very high level play, day 1

The Colts moved up to get J Taylor

If Olave is still on the board in the mid 20s

He is one of the players that I would trade up to get

Also.... I watched a bit on Levis, based on your comment

He looks good. Good size apparent strong arm, quick release.  He needs a great senior season, but his current tape puts him in the middle of the QBs taken this year IMHO

If he has a great final season, he will be part of the top QBs for next year......  It should be an amazing class of QBs ....  I hope that we take a dip in next years QB class, and get our QB of the future...... even if we have Matt R.

12 hours ago, jonjon said:

FWIW I thought this was a good site with a lot of analysis and stats on players for the draft (that said, sometimes they contradict themselves in the Pros/Cons sections)...here's the WR link: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/WR/1/2022

Offhand IMO of the guys I expect to be around when we draft the top ones look like: 

Moore

Mitchie (maybe)

Austin

Watson

Bell

Of those I like Moore and Mitchie the most. Austin's shrimpy size worries me at the next level, Watson has a history of unreliable hands, and Bell is both slow and a head case loser, the last thing we need. Pickens is also a head case.

I like how they show you the difference in rankings from a lot of the major draft sites