Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yikes on Some of These Early FA Deals

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

four-year, $72M deal with max value of $84M. Lol.........

FN1VeOmUcAQ8cJH?format=jpg&name=small

I wonder what the actual details are. FA WR action can be fool's gold. Every single offseason, some team(s) go in heavy, and not many come out smiling.

Remember last year? The Pats went all in on receiving options, inc snagging the top two TEs in the market. That was...well plain crazy.

Ballard dives in maybe in a couple days? lol (and he's right)

Same as all previous years. A lot of players will get ridiculous contracts and will be getting cut in a few years. Jags have spent a lot but haven’t got a lot better. Scherff has been their best move. I’m glad we haven’t gave stupid money out yet but a few guys have signed that I wanted. Happens every year though. 

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The fact that this post has 4 replies in it versus the Ballard doing the same old same old thread with a lot more is pathetic......a bunch of whiney, madden gm's who think the sky is falling if Ballard doesn't spend money just to spend money.....truly alarming to me.

Happens EVERY year since Ballard has been here.....he literally tells us what he will do and the chicken littles never listen. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The fact that this post has 4 replies in it versus the Ballard doing the same old same old thread with a lot more is pathetic......a bunch of whiney, madden gm's who think the sky is falling if Ballard doesn't spend money just to spend money.....truly alarming to me.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

28 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Happens EVERY year since Ballard has been here.....he literally tells us what he will do and the chicken littles never listen. 

Here's what he said about the 2022 Free Agency per Colts.com:

"If an opportunity presents itself that we think is good, when we think we're getting a player of value at the right price, we'll do it," Ballard said. "Even if you have to overpay a bit, I'm okay with that."

"It's just when you straddle yourself with three years of guaranteed money because that's where free agency is going for the high price guys, and then you miss on it and leave yourself no out, then that strangles you going forward and we're going to have some players here going forward that we're going to want to keep," Ballard said. "So you got to balance that out."

It's a little vague, but this is more than he's ever mentioned about the possibility of overpaying for a player in free agency. I think he knows that this is a pivotal season, especially given how last season ended and the urgency to improve the team by directive from the top.

He may be willing to dabble in FA more this year, given the amount of holes we have on the team and areas of weakness, (pass rush, D-Line, now O-line, receivers, etc.). 

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

But the BIGGEST "yikes" is that a team with over 70 million in cap space and needs at key positions, sign our 3ed string TE, and that's it..

So you'd rather we join the feeding frenzy in paying middling players huge premiums over their fair valuation?  Why...just because we have that $70M (well, it's less than that now after MAC signed)?

One of the absolute worst moves a GM can make is to overspend on a player -- especially one who isn't all that good.  This is why I never involve my wife in car shopping.  I love her to death.  But at the first mention of some other buyer (real or fake, probably fake) having interest in the car she wants, she'll gladly pay whatever the salesman says.  Because, for her, there's no leaving that lot without *that* car.

I want Ballard to allocate our cap resources the best way he can.  But sometimes holding back is the best way to do that -- instead of getting panicked by the fear that all the good FAs are getting snapped up for big dollars.

Anyone judging the Jags should look at all the signings, and the money spent. Sherff is being paid 84M for 4 years, and just look at his injury history. Today after all the signings yesterday, they added Zay Jones at 24-30M for 3 yrs and Evan Engram for 1 year but a  guaranteed 9M. Those receivers they paid a lot of money for are not exactly top line receivers for the money they paid. The only signing I truly liked was the OLB from the Falcons. The Jaguars do this every year.

One last note, letting Jack go who was your leading tackler, was still young, and by releasing him he had a 4.8M dead money cap hit. The Jags have 23M in dead cap money this year. Is this smart management when it comes to the cap. They only have 3 years left to hope Lawrence improves and improve, because then they are screwed. This cap management will come back to bite them.

And I am one who would like to see Ballard be more active, but there are limits. Tampa Bay & Los Angeles Rams are the only times I can actually remember FA working out.

Archived