Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Pryor?

Dark Superman

Question. A lot of Colts fans seem to think highly of Matt Pryor and want the Colts to bring him back. I thought he looked decent when he filled in for Braden Smith at RT. I thought he looked terrible when he filled in for Fisher at LT. I just want to know what you all think about him because I have seen some people who think he should be the starting LT, which is ludacris imo.

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Question. A lot of Colts fans seem to think highly of Matt Pryor and want the Colts to bring him back. I thought he looked decent when he filled in for Braden Smith at RT. I thought he looked terrible when he filled in for Fisher at LT. I just want to know what you all think about him because I have seen some people who think he should be the starting LT, which is ludacris imo.

Thoughts?

He looked real good at RT like you said. He didn’t play particularly well against AZ at RG.  Against Jax, he got beat early on a stunt. After that he played well.  Better than Fisher at least. 

39 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Thoughts?

Clearly we preferred having Fisher back over starting Pryor.   We know this because we were trying to bring Fisher back, but couldn’t reach a deal.   

Now, where Pryor is in the remaining pecking order is unknown?   Do we want some other starter at LT?   Ok, who?   Do we have a lot of other options?

I still wonder if we still want Fisher back and are simply waiting for him to see what his market is?   Maybe not, but what other options are there?   I don’t see many…

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Clearly we preferred having Fisher back over starting Pryor.   We know this because we were trying to bring Fisher back, but couldn’t reach a deal.   

Now, where Pryor is in the remaining pecking order is unknown?   Do we want some other starter at LT?   Ok, who?   Do we have a lot of other options?

I still wonder if we still want Fisher back and are simply waiting for him to see what his market is?   Maybe not, but what other options are there?   I don’t see many…

I don't think Fisher will be back with the Colts. Pryor is a free agent right now. He's okay to have as a depth, but no way in hell he's starting material at any position. He looked decent at RT. Terrible at LT. I would love to see the Colts try Danny Pinter at Tackle during training camp if they bring back Glowinski or Reed to play RG. I think Pinter could very well be in play for the RG starting spot. He looked great at Center which is reassuring knowing Ryan Kelly was banged up last season.

1 hour ago, Dark Superman said:

I don't think Fisher will be back with the Colts. Pryor is a free agent right now. He's okay to have as a depth, but no way in hell he's starting material at any position. He looked decent at RT. Terrible at LT. I would love to see the Colts try Danny Pinter at Tackle during training camp if they bring back Glowinski or Reed to play RG. I think Pinter could very well be in play for the RG starting spot. He looked great at Center which is reassuring knowing Ryan Kelly was banged up last season.

I don’t think Fisher will be brought back either.  I expect Pryor to be given a competitive offer to be the swing tackle.  Depending on if we sign a starting LT in FA or draft someone he may be competing for a starting spot. I think he is best as a backup but sufficient as a starter.  I don’t think he played terrible but he isn’t the long term answer. 3yrs at 10mil with some incentives for starting would be a good contract for a very versatile lineman in case someone goes down. 

26 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t think Fisher will be brought back either.  I expect Pryor to be given a competitive offer to be the swing tackle.  Depending on if we sign a starting LT in FA or draft someone he may be competing for a starting spot. I think he is best as a backup but sufficient as a starter.  I don’t think he played terrible but he isn’t the long term answer. 3yrs at 10mil with some incentives for starting would be a good contract for a very versatile lineman in case someone goes down. 

It's already been leaked that Fisher won't be returning.

Fisher clearly prefers his chances in FA, Ballard thought he be able to get him in the cheap for singing him injured.

Its not a deal breaker! we’ll see what happens.

The rosta is going to look very different come week 1.

Go Colts.

8 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

It's already been leaked that Fisher won't be returning.

Yes...NewColtsFan floated the idea he may be testing the market bc Ballard is known for letting players do that. I think he was presented a lower 1yr prove it offer and rejected it and now will move onto another team. Colts basically paid him to rehab on our dime and I’m sure that played a part in the offer.  I hoped he was going to be a serviceable LT for the next couple years but it didn’t work out. 

Pryor is a good candidate to be a bridge starter for a rookie to develop. I would really like to resign him. He is a top tier backup and most likely an average starter. He is the type of player most teams need so could be in high demand. 

3 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Thoughts?

Pay no attention to Matt Pryor. He’s the latest Denzelle Good. Every so often, users on this board get obsessed with a random player who showed “flashes” and thinks they deserve a shot to be the long term starter. Happens a lot with Offemsive lineman. Remember AQ Shipley, Jonotthan Harrison? Or who was the backup OT we had forever that had the super long arms that people loved? Went to Texas Tech I think and was on the roster in 2020. Can’t think of his name for the life of me.

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Pay no attention to Matt Pryor. He’s the latest Denzelle Good. Every so often, users on this board get obsessed with a random player who showed “flashes” and thinks they deserve a shot to be the long term starter. Happens a lot with Offemsive lineman. Remember AQ Shipley, Jonotthan Harrison? Or who was the backup OT we had forever that had the super long arms that people loved? Went to Texas Tech I think and was on the roster in 2020. Can’t think of his name for the life of me.

I don't want him back and really hope the Colts move on from him. Hm. Denzelle Good, Tony Ugoh, Le'Raven Clark? Michael Toudouze? Any of those guys?

Clearly the Colts don't want Fisher back.  We know that in this stage of the FA process...which hasn't even started yet...that when a player isn't even being asked to "test the market", and is expected to go elsewhere, the Colts were never serious about bringing him back.  

Obviously Pryor is in the discussion.  But like trading away Wentz with no viable QB on the roster, the desire to let Fisher walk outweighed the issues it created in finding a replacement.  You wouldn't normally tell the market at this juncture of FA that you are desperate for a LT, but would rather make it appear that Fisher is still on your mind. 

So the desire of Ballard to break away from Fisher so early, must be because he needs to help thwart the idea that he brought in Fisher over Leno because of nepotism in the first place.  And he has to protect his media persona that he's better than Ryan Grigson, so thwarting the notion that he operates on nepotism is a bigger deal to him than making a sound business decision by keeping Fisher in the loop for a while.

I think he looks for an upgrade over Pryor once the legal tampering period starts.  No need to make any big decisions before then, unless you want to maintain your media image.

BTW, what is the hate on Danzelle Good?  He was a 7th rounder that was never seriously in anybody's plans.  Turned out to be a pretty good starting G for Oak/LVR after Ballard released him.

7 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Thoughts?

Move witch, get out the way.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

So the desire of Ballard to break away from Fisher so early, must be because he needs to help thwart the idea that he brought in Fisher over Leno because of nepotism in the first place.  And he has to protect his media persona that he's better than Ryan Grigson, so thwarting the notion that he operates on nepotism is a bigger deal to him than making a sound business decision by keeping Fisher in the loop for a while.

Lol. Sometimes you go full tin hat. 

30 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I like Pryor in the Joe Haeg role.  If he is our slated starter in 2022 I will seriously begin to question Ballard. 

We traded for Pryor and he played well when called upon.  I think that’s going to result in him being resigned as a player filling the Haeg role as you suggested.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s given the chance to compete for the LT spot.  Depends on how strong of a FA we bring in for LT.

9 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Thoughts?

Well Ballard said he could be an option at LT.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

We traded for Pryor and he played well when called upon.  I think that’s going to result in him being resigned as a player filling the Haeg role as you suggested.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s given the chance to compete for the LT spot.  Depends on how strong of a FA we bring in for LT.

If he is competing for the LT spot with someone of similar skill as his own, I will be disapointed in how we approached LT.  If he beats out a highly drafted rookie that's acceptable.  However, I'd still be quite concerned. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

If he is competing for the LT spot with someone of similar skill as his own, I will be disapointed in how we approached LT.  If he beats out a highly drafted rookie that's acceptable.  However, I'd still be quite concerned. 

Exactly.  If either of those scenarios came about then Ballard must have spent a ton on a few other positions.  And one of them better have been a TE who can also block.  

Too much cap to not address LT in some manner.

6 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I don't want him back and really hope the Colts move on from him. Hm. Denzelle Good, Tony Ugoh, Le'Raven Clark? Michael Toudouze? Any of those guys?

Le’Raven Clark!!!! That’s it. Couldn’t remember his name for the life of me lol. I have no idea how he managed to stick with us for as long as he did. I remember when people were shocked he didn’t get the starting RT spot over Braden Smith.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Clearly the Colts don't want Fisher back.  We know that in this stage of the FA process...which hasn't even started yet...that when a player isn't even being asked to "test the market", and is expected to go elsewhere, the Colts were never serious about bringing him back.  

Obviously Pryor is in the discussion.  But like trading away Wentz with no viable QB on the roster, the desire to let Fisher walk outweighed the issues it created in finding a replacement.  You wouldn't normally tell the market at this juncture of FA that you are desperate for a LT, but would rather make it appear that Fisher is still on your mind. 

I think he looks for an upgrade over Pryor once the legal tampering period starts.  No need to make any big decisions before then, unless you want to maintain your media image.

BTW, what is the hate on Danzelle Good?  He was a 7th rounder that was never seriously in anybody's plans.  Turned out to be a pretty good starting G for Oak/LVR after Ballard released him.

“Clearly the colts don’t want Fisher back”.

This after it was reported we were in contract talks to bring him back but couldn’t come to terms.   

You're one of a kind, Doug.   Media persona?   Nepotism?    Goodness gracious. 

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Oh, Dear God….    It’s that time of year again.   All the craziness that trapped behind a closet door suddenly comes tumbling out.   

Pryor may or may not be a starer, but at the worst, he’s a good solid backup at several positions.   Considering we’ve often struggled for quality depth,  why don’t you understand this?    

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The fact you still think Ballard is a competent GM is laughable. Acting like Fisher or Pryor starting at LT is acceptable? Fan boying at its finest. What’s the highest level you’ve ever been involved with football at?

7 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

The fact you still think Ballard is a competent GM is laughable. Acting like Fisher or Pryor starting at LT is acceptable? Fan boying at its finest. What’s the highest level you’ve ever been involved with football at?

Huh?    What the ****?

I think Ballard is far more than a competent GM.   I think he’s one of the best in the NFL.   And do you know who else thinks so?   The rest of the NFL and the media who covers them. 

Fan Boying?   I suspect you’re another poster here who values opinion over facts.   You think the job is easy.   It’s not.   You get to second guess with the benefit of hind sight.   GMs don’t get that luxury.  

Im 65 years old.  I’ve likely followed the game longer than you’ve been alive.  I covered the NFL as a member of the media for 30 years.   I’ve interviewed owners, GMs, head coaches, coordinators, and hundreds of players.   I live in LA, and I covered the Rams and Raiders. 

If you don’t think Ballard is at least good at his job that’s your view.   Ironic since he followed Ryan Grigson.   My view is the opposite.   If you don’t like me or my views feel free to put me on ignore.  Otherwise, I can’t help you. 

26 minutes ago, cbear said:

What's crazy in this thread is folks comparing Pryor to Clark! Good grief. Pryor rated higher than Smith in the games he started. Go watch them again. He swallows pass rushers. 

He’s so good he’s going to get a near minimum salary contract. Smartest guy in the room right here! PFF is trash and largely just a compass for the football illiterate.

34 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

He’s so good he’s going to get a near minimum salary contract. Smartest guy in the room right here! PFF is trash and largely just a compass for the football illiterate.

Go watch the games and just watch Pryor play and tell me what you think. 

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh, Dear God….    It’s that time of year again.   All the craziness that trapped behind a closet door suddenly comes tumbling out.   

Pryor may or may not be a starer, but at the worst, he’s a good solid backup at several positions.   Considering we’ve often struggled for quality depth,  why don’t you understand this?    

And that’s what I mean. Pryor is fine if you want him as a backup. But starter? I don’t think so.

2 hours ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I have. He’s a fine swing tackle, he’s not a starting LT.

I never said he was. But he is certainly not La'raven Clark as some suggested, which was my point. That's crazy. 

Archived