Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

46 minutes ago, Shive said:

Yea, I can't imagine we haven't at least put feelers out to them.

really hope that isn't us. I would take Mariota any day over Jimmy G, especially for that compensation.

I hate Mariota, but agree..

it’s like trading JT and Pittman for him 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Matt Ryan the locker room would be elated beyond belief. That guy is good, legit f'ing good.

Last 3 season for Matt Ryan:

TD's - 72

INT's - 37

Record - 18-30

Sacked - 129

I don't think it is an improvement over Wentz.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Matt Ryan the locker room would be elated beyond belief. That guy is good, legit f'ing good.

If the compensation is right, I'd take Matt Ryan any day. I'd think what we got for Wentz would be ideal. 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd next year.

My QB order:

1. Ryan

2. Mayfield

3. Mariota

4. Winston

5. Sam

6. Jimmy G (especially since apparently they want more than two 2nd round picks)

Just now, Shive said:

If the compensation is right, I'd take Matt Ryan any day. I'd think what we got for Wentz would be ideal. 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd next year.

My QB order:

1. Ryan

2. Mayfield

3. Mariota

4. Winston

5. Sam

6. Jimmy G (especially since apparently they want more than two 2nd round picks)

I like your order but I would put Jimmy 2nd, Mayfield 3rd. Matt is #1 though so I will give you a LIKE.

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

Last 3 season for Matt Ryan:

TD's - 72

INT's - 37

Record - 18-30

Sacked - 129

Matt is great at getting yardage.  hes had 4400 plus in 3 of the last 4 seasons.  

Carson has hit 4k just once years ago, baker hasnt even come close.  

This was all with a weak cast around him 

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

Matt is great at getting yardage.  hes had 4400 plus in 3 of the last 4 seasons.  

Matt Ryan has the same problem that Matt Stafford had, bad team around him for years. Difference is, Ryan actually won a MVP and got the Falcons to a SB where they had it won lol. 

5 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I wouldn't use a QB's yardage as a measuring stick for how good of a QB they are. Matt Shaub used to lead or be top 5 in yardage year after year when he was on a miserable Texans team. Typically a ton of passing yards is because the rest of your team is bad and you're constantly playing from behind.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He doesn't have a team around him that is good. If he came here we would win the division. He is better than Tannehill or Wentz. 

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.  

1 minute ago, Shive said:

I wouldn't use a QB's yardage as a measuring stick for how good of a QB they are. Matt Shaub used to lead or be top 5 in yardage year after year when he was on a miserable Texans team. Typically a ton of passing yards is because the rest of your team is bad and you're constantly playing from behind.

pff rated him higher than both baker and carson too, so did most of the qb sites

4000 is a down year for Matt, guys like Carson, Baker and Jimmy are lucky to hit it once in their careers.  CW is the only one of them who has hit it once, barely 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You can't be serious, I know you as a poster, you actually think Wentz or Tannhill is better than Matt Ryan homer simpson lol GIF

I think they are currently on the same level.   I don't think any of them stand out at this time in their careers.   I look at Ryan as a Rivers type of band aid.  May make the playoffs but won't go further.   Not with Reich as the play caller.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think they are currently on the same level.   I don't think any of them stand out at this time in their careers.   I look at Ryan as a Rivers type of band aid.  May make the playoffs but won't go further.   Not with Reich as the play caller.

Matt Ryan is so much better than both of those clowns. You are kidding me right?

44 minutes ago, krunk said:

Last time he was in the playoffs?

Last time he had a good team around him?  The answer would be the same, I think.  I know he is getting older, but if we can get 2 good years out of him while also drafting a QB, i think that would be our best "plan" moving forward.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ryan isn’t the statue that rivers was. But we need some weapons for him.

If we get Matt Ryan we will win the division, Frame this post, book it, I know we will. I have watched this game for 45 years. He is better than Tannehill and we have the roster around him to get it done. We do need a LT and a better TE.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan is so much better than both of those clowns. You are kidding me right?

He was, but not at this time.  Unlike Brady, Ryan has aged and seen his abilities deflate like most 37 year old QB's do.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

He was, but not at this time.  Unlike Brady, Ryan has aged and seen his abilities deflate like most 37 year old QB's do.  

Was it Ryan or the team around him? His defense is awful. He had no weapons outside of pitts. And still threw for 4K yards. But have to find his successor to sit and learn.

Hey all. Jason La Canfora just posted this article about QB's a couple hours ago. He is pretty plugged in. Good read. Sounds like Baker or Jimmy in his opinion for us. Also, really good read on what he Watson deal has done to the QB market. Has made getting a good QB even more expensive.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-how-qb-landscape-changed-forever-as-carousel-goes-off-rails-plus-biggest-winner-next-move/

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Matt Ryan was on the Pats the last 5 years he would have a ring easily. If he was on the Rams last year they win it all. He is as good as Matt Stafford is.

I like Ryan. But stop. He may have been as good as Stafford but not now. Age plays a factor.

43 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

pff rated him higher than both baker and carson too, so did most of the qb sites

4000 is a down year for Matt, guys like Carson, Baker and Jimmy are lucky to hit it once in their careers.  CW is the only one of them who has hit it once, barely 

I should have mentioned that I also believe he's better than Baker and Wentz at this point as well. I like the upside Baker still has, but Ryan is the better QB out of the 3 at this point in time.

38 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Alright, I have no substance to add to this thread.. but it's killing me every time I get a Colts notification on my phone telling me.. "Best QB options of Colts" or "Colts interested in such and such" This is really dragging.. get on with it already lol

Every time my phone buzzes, my blood pressure shoots up thinking it could finally be that update.

QB-Ranking by Passing grades last 5 seasons when you account for a minimum 20% snap count:

2017-2021:

Stafford: 10/16/8/13/7

Ryan: 4/10/16/10/13

Mayfield: -/11/19/8/27

Garoppolo: 3/-/15/-/19

Mariota: 18/22/28/-/

Wentz (for context): 5/14/14/34/21*

Rivers (for context): 8/5/17/15*/-

Luck (for context): -/3*/-/-/-

Brissett (for context): 32/-/33*/-/15

Out of X qualifying QBs: 41/39/39/

*shows Colts starter that season

Stafford and Ryan are actually pretty similar in terms of grading by PFF - which is IMO the most objective criteria out there. Some conclusions:

- I want Ryan over any of the other options. He allows us to be competitive this year and next while allowing us to find his successor in the draft, personally, I like Ridder this year, which is why I wouldn't give up our 2nd this year to get Ryan, but Ballard can choose, we have to build around a younger QB however, cap hits are increasing with us having to pay 2018 and 20 draft classes.

- I want no part of Marcus Mariota even if he takes veteran minimum to be our backup - well maybe then, but I do not want him to start for us - ever

- Jimmy Garoppolo hasn't been the same since his injury, he's a solid QB, but I don't think you can compete for a title with him at the helm

- Our QB-play has been very bad since Luck left - duh, we all knew that

- if you ignore last season, I would be willing to get on board with trading for Baker. He played through injury, so focusing on the 2018-2020 grades, there is reason for optimism - character-wise, I obviously prefer Ryan, but I think Baker might work out - if he does, he could be a long-term solution. Worst case is another one-year rental however, which might put both Ballard and Reich in danger of losing their jobs IMO

Archived