Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

41 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Someone here, I think it was Supe, said if Peyton, Elway, or if we had any other QB that day vs Jax we still would have lost. It was a total team collapse. So that makes it more on Reich than Wentz, but Wentz was the scapegoat.

If we would've had Peyton or Luck with a chance to clinch a playoff berth at Jacks we would've took care of business lmao . As bad as the D played, those 2 would've found a way to win with those stakes on the line. Peyton was beating very good teams with basically a noodle arm in the 2015 playoffs, it is what is upstairs and Wentz doesn't have it. My early prediction already is Washington doesn't make the playoffs. Dallas will win that division.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the Colts don't go for Baker. One, he sucks, two,I think he's rather uncoachable, three, he has a bad attitude. These are just my observations over the past 3 years. Also, wasn't 2 years ago he got into some sort of twitter argument with then Texas qb Sam Ellingher? Why would a professional qb even care about a guy still in college? That shows a huge amount of immaturity and irresponsibleness . So, we really need to stay away from Baker

2 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I hope the Colts don't go for Baker. One, he sucks, two,I think he's rather uncoachable, three, he has a bad attitude. These are just my observations over the past 3 years. Also, wasn't 2 years ago he got into some sort of twitter argument with then Texas qb Sam Ellingher? Why would a professional qb even care about a guy still in college? That shows a huge amount of immaturity and irresponsibleness . So, we really need to stay away from Baker

I was listening to some discussion on possible colt QB. I can’t remember who the guy was. If he was a media person or not on the locked on colts podcast. He actually said the opposite. He said he thinks Baker is very coachable. He will do anything to win because he is such a great competitor.

ir would be nice to have such a fierce competitor at QB.

Just now, Two_pound said:

I heard last night on CBS radio, when Sam's brother passed away that Baker reached out to him and talked to him to give him his condolences. Texas and Oklahoma were big rivals in college so I can see the beef there. Shows Baker isn't soft when it comes to competing.

17 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is a interesting tie bit about how the Wentz trade went down? Did they fall in love with a QB at the combine or were they trying to drive up the price.

If true that’s a negotiation tactic.  Make it seem like you don’t want to part with him to make the price go up.

30 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Texans said they didn’t want him.

Did the Texans really say this?  Or did Baker privately indicate he didnt want to play for them?  Because to me when you come right out and say you want to play for the Colts then to me what I just said makes some sense.  He probably told them he didn't want to play for them. 

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Also maybe after the combine when talking to other GM they found out Ryan might become available or another QB like Baker. So they felt confident getting rid of him.

I don’t know if that’s the case Baker and maybe Ryan only seemed to become available after Winston entered the chat and that as only after he was cleared.  

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If a team that doesn’t have a franchise QB on their roster doesn’t want him, I don’t see why we would.

How do we know that Baker wanted to be there? If Watson didnt want to be in Houston why would Baker?

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I doubt the Texans said they didn't want Baker as he would be better than rookie. Baker made it clear he wanted to play for us.

I could easily see them saying no thanks, just gimme the picks. They’re clearly rebuilding and they have a chance to draft a franchise guy.

10 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Suddenly occurred to me --

We have three Heisman Trophy winners among our QB choices before us:

Jameis Winston - 2013 Heisman winner

Marcus Mariota - 2014 Heisman winner

Baker Mayfield - 2017 Heisman winner

And they are all meh 

30 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Wasn’t it just last January when Baker went to Pittsburgh and won a wild card game behind a great running game? 260 yards and 3 TDs. Zero picks

Hmm.. I wonder if there’s a team with a great running game that could use his services?

Funny you say this because Browns style of play is a lot like the Colts. They like to play physical and run first

I really like Marcus Mariota.  I believe with our running game and his ability as an RPO style QB, his ability to remain calm, history of being in QB battles and appearance of being a “team guy” would fit well here.  He’s been around and been the starter as well as the backup and this would give him a chance to compete and prove to the NFL why the college world awarded him the Heisman.  

If he doesn’t work out this year, it was worth the shot.  Just my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, joecolts said:

I really like Marcus Mariota.  I believe with our running game and his ability as an RPO style QB, his ability to remain calm, history of being in QB battles and appearance of being a “team guy” would fit well here.  He’s been around and been the starter as well as the backup and this would give him a chance to compete and prove to the NFL why the college world awarded him the Heisman.  

My question is how do you get the locker room to by into that your trying to win with a move at QB like that?

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

My question is how do you get the locker room to by into that your trying to win with a move at QB like that?

Maybe Mariota would be great for the locker room? Especially if the team is winning.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Maybe Mariota would be great for the locker room? Especially if the team is winning.

I know that he is known  to be a great leader. So I guess he could earn that trust. He also would help the running game with the way he can run with the ball. RPO would be really good. Also if they do draft someone next month that would tell players there is a successor and a long term plan at QB.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You don't, this whole Mariota love fest blows my mind lmao 

Give me Baker. I think he will be a beast as long as we give him more then a year. Guy just wants to win. Wouldn't suprise me if he takes us to the playoffs with the help of Taylor. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would take Baker over Mariota without hesitation. 

It depends on what you want

Baker Mayfield 

Obviously the better QB but will cost a draft pick and might need to be extended if he plays well which I'm assuming would be 30+

Marcus Mariota 

He would just be a stop gap and wouldn't cost any picks. This option is essentially if the Colts plan on drafting rookie this year.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would take Baker over Mariota without hesitation. 

If Frank can get the most out of Carson, I would love to see what he could do with Baker. 

Its going to be a fun tonsee what becomes of all this. 

I was on the Mitch wagon because I thought Frank could bring out the best in him. 

I am not a big fan of Franks play calling but there is something undeniable about him turning a QB's career around and getting the best out of them. This is why I dont want to move on from him as HC.

33 minutes ago, joecolts said:

The case for Mariota is that he gives you the most play for the least cost.

The Browns are gonna want something for Baker.  They may not want him anymore, but they'll want compensation.  Let's say -- this year's 2nd and next year's conditional 1st, if the Colts make the playoffs.  Something like that.  It's gonna cost something.  He was their starter.  And was a #1 overall pick.  And they may be reluctant to deal Baker to a team in their conference.

Garappolo will not fetch as high a price.  Probably this year's 3rd and next year's 3rd.  It's still gonna cost draft picks, though.

Mariota is a flat-out free agent that won't cost us draft picks at all.  He'll be roughly similar to either of the other two, with some some differences in flavor.  In truth, none of them are superbowl caliber.  But he'll cost the least for so-so play.

That's the advantage of choosing Mariota, and it's also how Ballard can sell it to the team and to the fans.  He wanted to spend his draft choices on more/better players, not as part of a package for a so-so quarterback.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

It depends on you want

Baker Mayfield 

Obviously the better QB but will cost a draft pick and might need to be extended if he plays well which I'm assuming would be 30+

Marcus Mariota 

He would just be a stop gap and wouldn't cost any picks. This option is essentially if the Colts plan on drafting rookie this year.

I think if you get Baker you have to commit to him 100% and get him some weapons via draft. If we pass then go get a QB in draft. 

Either way really dont matter to me we just need to solidify our QB situation. 

Definitely is going to be entertaining. 

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

The Browns are gonna want something for Baker.  They may not want him anymore, but they'll want compensation.  Let's say -- this year's 2nd and next year's conditional 1st, if the Colts make the playoffs.  Something like that.  It's gonna cost something.  He was their starter.  And was a #1 overall pick.  And they may be reluctant to deal Baker to a team in their conference.

Garappolo will not fetch as high a price.  Probably this year's 3rd and next year's 3rd.  It's still gonna cost draft picks, though.

Mariota is a flat-out free agent that won't cost us draft picks at all.  He'll be roughly similar to either of the other two, with some some differences in flavor.  In truth, none of them are superbowl caliber.  But he'll cost the least for so-so play.

That's the advantage of choosing Mariota, and it's also how Ballard can sell it to the team and to the fans.  He wanted to spend his draft choices on more/better players, not as part of a package for a so-so quarterback.

Fans won’t buy it.  They already think the Colts are cheap in FA.  Impossible sell with Baker and maybe Ryan out there.  

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Browns won’t get that for him. Mainly because he is on his last year of his contract. What I have seen is maybe a 2nd round pick but most likely a third round pick. Browns want a day two pick. 

Archived