Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Pats at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

34 minutes ago, coltsva said:

True, but what we really need is an upgrade at TE. Most likely not going to find the next Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, but something a notch below these guys and a notch above Doyle would be extremely helpful to this offense. 

It sure would be nice if Granson became a stud. It could happen too. Tight Ends usually take some time.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

It sure would be nice if Granson became a stud. It could happen too. Tight Ends usually take some time.

Granson has shown enough flashes I am excited for what he will do in the future. He is even blocking very well. Maybe we let MO walk so he gets more playing time next season. I agree with some on MO. I just don’t think he is capable of much more. A good blocker and a flash play here or there. Maybe let him walk and move Granson up a notch. Then find someone else as that 3rd TE.

11 hours ago, Les Poulains said:

I'm not saying Wentz is bad, necessarily. He hasn't had a terrible season. He's just not good. There should be not an iota of confidence that he can take us anywhere. If he wins us a playoff game or two, it should be treated as a total surprise. Because what he's shown is essentially we can't trust him not to throw games away. So chances are we will have to manage him. 

That is the caveat; the Pats have a very good defense, I don't think anyone was expecting Wentz to shred them anyway, and the Pittman ejection was a kick to the nuts and a screwjob by the officials. He was truly horrendous tonight, though. 

You don't get the stats he has if you're a bad QB.  I agree he didn't have a great game however he's better (much better) then you are giving him credit for.  There are many gametime factors that the average fan watching on tv or in person don't see or know whats going on. that explain certaiin things.  It wasn't Carson's fault the defense earlier in the season folded with huge leads and the team lost.  You sound like a Philly fan.

2 hours ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

I said it before, I'll say it again.  This is Darius Leonard's best season by far and he's been hurt for majority of it

Prove me wrong

I shouldn't say this but @Moosejawcoltwill come up with something trust me haha . Leonard played his game of the season last night with 10 tackles, 1 huge INT that prevented the Pats from scoring before the half, and he forced a fumble but the Pats recovered it.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I shouldn't say this but @Moosejawcoltwill come up with something trust me haha . Leonard played his game of the season last night with 10 tackles, 1 huge INT that prevented the Pats from scoring before the half, and he forced a fumble but the Pats recovered it.

Leonard was great last night.   

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Belichick's post game press conference was different, he really looked disturbed and pee'd off. Unlike him. Glad we were the team to frustrate him haha 

I think the “fight” really got to him.  That’s very unlike a BB team to lose their cool like that.  Normally they are the ones that have other teams do something like that.  They showed on the broadcast he brought the whole defense together after that and talked to them.  He’s the kind of coach that even one play like that will upset him.

Also the Colts out physicaled New England last night.  That never happens to them.  They are always the bullies.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think the “fight” really got to him.  That’s very unlike a BB team to lose their cool like that.  Normally they are the ones that have other teams do something like that.  They showed on the broadcast he brought the whole defense together after that and talked to them.  He’s the kind of coach that even one play like that will upset him.

They knew we had the better team and got frustrated. I really think we are better. We bullied the bully, they are not used to that.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I posted on Thursday I think it was, that I thought the only team in the AFC that was better than us is KC. That is because they have Mahomes. I am talking AFC. NFC is top heavy with the Bucs, Pack, and Rams.

Don’t get me wrong I respect KC and think they will be a hard out for any team, especially at their place, but I think the Colts defense is built to do exactly what frustrates KC.  Don’t give up big plays and make teams work the ball down the field.  Mahomes has shown at times he will get frustrated with that and try to force it deep.  If he does you have to take advantage and get turnovers.  If the Colts could do that they would have a punchers chance.

The Colts won over the Pats, but their play was far from perfect (which they don't need to be to win in the NFL). The Colts have more talent than they show (or are aware of). When they realize that football is "not logical, but psychological", I think they can be excellent.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Don’t get me wrong I respect KC and think they will be a hard out for any team, especially at their place, but I think the Colts defense is built to do exactly what frustrates KC.  Don’t give up big plays and make teams work the ball down the field.  Mahomes has shown at times he will get frustrated with that and try to force it deep.  If he does you have to take advantage and get turnovers.  If the Colts could do that they would have a punchers chance.

Oh I think we have a chance to beat anyone, look at how we played Tom. I am just saying that we have to prove we can beat an elite QB now. Last night we proved we can beat an Elite coach at his own game, who had a great D, and a good QB but KC has been in there in bigtime situations. We could shock the world though and make a great run??

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

The Colts won over the Pats, but their play was far from perfect (which they don't need to be to win in the NFL). The Colts have more talent than they show (or are aware of). When they realize that football is "not logical, but psychological", I think they can be excellent.

With Wentz it is still a little mental but just getting the win last night over that opponent will do wonders. Less pressure on us/him now. There was huge pressure on him last night because of the games we have blown.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Wentz it is still a little mental but just getting the win last night over that opponent will do wonders. Less pressure on us/him now. There was huge pressure on him last night because of the games we have blown.

I agree. Wentz is still healing from his experience in Philly. He's been traumatized. If and when he learns the right state of mind, he'll be fine. I worry that any false praise he gets to boost his confidence won't work. He needs to find the true state, and probably that is by himself.

I agree. Wentz is still healing from his experience in Philly. He's been traumatized. If and when he learns the right state of mind, he'll be fine. I worry that any false praise he gets to boost his confidence won't work. He needs to find the true state, and probably that is by himself.

I wouldn't doubt if Wentz came out next week and threw for 250 and 2 TD's and no Picks. We even play the Cards.

What a great win just watched the replay I had to work.

Ill keep it short and sweet.

My biggest takeaway is that Frank actually for the first time in a long time ran out the clock by running the ball, thank god because we were about to blow another double digit lead. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't doubt if Wentz came out next week and threw for 250 and 2 TD's and no Picks. We even play the Cards.

I think the Colts can beat any team in the NFL. They (including the coaching staff) don't seem to believe that yet. But it's not merely belief, it's understanding the (very good) reasons for that belief.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Cards are almost as good as pats with pass defense. I expect a similiar game. We may throw a little more.

Wentz will never play that bad again. That was a fluke but good in a way because teams and the media still probably think he can't win a game without major help. He can, he led us on a game winning drive at Baltimore but our kicker missed. That game was the game where I started liking him. 

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Cards are almost as good as pats with pass defense. I expect a similiar game. We may throw a little more.

I think the choices of when we pass, and why is important. It seems we want to live or die with either the passing game or the running game,  without seeing the advantages in the mix.

Loved the effort and intensity from all 3 phases of the game. Imposed themselves on the Patriots like can't even remember when last time a Colts team did in that fasion. Only big critique was that 3 and out drive with about 5 minutes to go..the formations were so obvious and a wasted opportunity to put them away, was frustrating to watch. Did cause them to burn up timeouts but still. 

I think the choices of when we pass, and why is important. It seems we want to live or die with either the passing game or the running game,  without seeing the advantages in the mix.

I have noticed that Frank is a momentum type of coach. If something is working he will run it 10 times in a row. I will say this about Wentz he got 3 crucial 4th down plays by sneaking it which nobody in here has brought up. Those were gigantic.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have noticed that Frank is a momentum type of coach. If something is working he will run it 10 times in a row. I will say this about Wentz he got 3 crucial 4th down plays by sneaking it which nobody in here has brought up. Those were gigantic.

Yesterday on Twitter before  the game I go Reich don’t be like Staley. Lol. Glad we converted. Ours were easier conversions then Chargers though.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Did you notice each of those successful QB sneaks was behind or over Nelson? That was a confidence builder.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is short term momentum, and long term momentum. Running the same kind of play until it doesn't work is short term thinking. I'd hope we were smarter than that.

I would have been ok with passing some more. I don’t want a numbers balance. I want a feel balance. So the defense lines up truly uneasy as to whether or not they’re in the right call. 

I wasn’t in love with the pass plays we called, however. They wanted to hit some deeper crosses and it just wasn’t connecting for the most part. By the 3rd and 4th I was ready to see them try something short or intermediate and safe just to get the ball moving in the air. Outs to TE’s, comebacks to WRs, wheel routes to backs, just something for a different look. The passing game was definitely nothing to behold last night and I think that was mainly because those deep crosses weren’t working and we didn’t really try anything else. 

The pass to Mo was high, but those are his specialty and it hit hit right in the hands. We just landed on the wrong half of the 50/50 play there.

The theory that Taylor can’t run against a stacked box died on the vine last night. For good. Makes that Tampa game once again look silly. He’s our best player and there’s no reason in the world to just stop getting him the ball. None. 

Hats off to the coaches and the team for the big statement win. We took a seat at the table in front of the world last night. We just needed this win, and they got it. They finally finished one off, and I think a lot of teams are uneasy about the prospect of seeing us in January now. 

Let’s keep it up. 

28 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Frank, Brady, and their sky coaches plan for, know, see everthing, and are prepared for any mix necessary to win. That YOU PEOPLE think otherwise speaks volumes, and shows a lack of common sense.

And Clearly, you give the opponent NO credit. 

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The Patriots got called for multiple false starts last night, but they got away with at least 3 that just weren’t called along the right side alone. They were definitely on edge. 

The crowd noise clearly bothered them.  The Colts had a true 12th man advantage last night.  Let’s also not forget the delay of game because Jones couldn’t get them lined up fast enough because of the noise.

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

I think the Colts can beat any team in the NFL. They (including the coaching staff) don't seem to believe that yet. But it's not merely belief, it's understanding the (very good) reasons for that belief.

They absolutely believe they can do that.     Do you not hear them when they speak?

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

You don't get the stats he has if you're a bad QB.  I agree he didn't have a great game however he's better (much better) then you are giving him credit for.  There are many gametime factors that the average fan watching on tv or in person don't see or know whats going on. that explain certaiin things.  It wasn't Carson's fault the defense earlier in the season folded with huge leads and the team lost.  You sound like a Philly fan.

I'm not a Philly fan, I assure you. I think we know who Carson Wentz is at this point; someone who has talent but who can be a complete disaster. 

The problem is that there's no nuance around him. Most people think he's absolutely terrible. He's not. He's also not someone you can trust, until he proves otherwise.

That's all I want. He needs to prove we can win big and important wins, in the playoffs or otherwise, without him being bad. He's not really done that yet. He can get on the road to doing that by playing well against Arizona, getting us to playoffs and playing well there. I won't hold my breath, though.

Archived