Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Insanity

Smoke317

We were supposed to give Taylor 25-30 carries today (especially after building a 14-0 lead).  Then we could’ve limited his touches & went more by committee vs the Jets on Thursday night.  Today was supposed to be JT’s showcase and Carson could’ve carved up the Jets on Thursday.  Then we’re looking like a team that can win & be explosive while doing so via the run or pass.  What were we thinking not giving it to Taylor on 3rd or 4th and 3 in plus territory???  That insanity sounds familiar…

Oh, I remember. We did the same thing vs the Seahawks in week 1.  We were supposed to be leading that game going into halftime when Carson kept the RPO instead of giving it to Taylor on 3rd and short (sound familiar?) and got the ineligible man downfield penalty instead. And then he missed Pascal on 4th down.  Seattle would take the ball after the turnover on downs and Wilson would connect on the bomb before the end of the half and all of sudden we were in a dogfight instead of having a lead.  Should’ve been an even bigger lead today.

Instead we keep doing the same things over and over expecting different results.  3rd & short.  Don’t give it to Taylor.  Go for it on 4th.  Don’t execute properly (still no Taylor) and turn the ball over on downs.  Other team takes the ball and scores before half and we’re in a dogfight the rest of the way that we still refuse to use Taylor very much in the rest of the way and we lose.  Insanity.

Heck maybe we fans and Irsay and Ballard are all insane if we keep watching Frank’s in game decisions cost us games, division titles, and playoff wins and think it’s ok and that he’s gonna take us to the Super Bowl making these same kinda mistakes every year.  He’s a good man and the team loves him and plays hard for him.  But maybe it’s time for Frank to relinquish play calling and become more of an overseer before we ultimately have to fire him.  Kinda of a last ditch effort to mix things up.  

Maybe play calling, as the head coach, is the white whale Frank is chasing because that’s what Pederson did and got all the glory/credit for in Philly?  But Frank is wasting a talented team in in trying to do the same thing here because we’re not beating the better AFC teams with his poor decisions.  And it’s not simply a matter of them being more talented than us.  We’re often getting out executed and beating ourselves.  Let Frank have his input in all facets but let someone else call the plays.  Time to mix things up and stop the insanity. 

30 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I got it let’s just cut everyone and fire everyone then there is no one to blame!

Not yet.  Let’s take the playcalling from Frank and let him just be the head coach.  If that doesn’t work, then I’m all for getting a new head coach and a new QB.  In the meantime, they’ve got to get on the same page though. Today, Wentz regressed back to the same mistakes he was making earlier in the season.  Frank failed to recognize that and take the onus off of Wentz & lean on the running game.  Instead he allowed him to put it up 51 times in a game where we lead or were tied for majority of it.  I said we need to mix it up.  I didn’t call for Frank to be fired or Wentz to be cut. Ironically though, Eason was benched and ultimately cut for throwing a less egregious interception than the two Wentz just threw when it mattered most against the Titans.

48 minutes ago, J@son said:

there weren't enough threads about Reich's poor playcalling and game management?

Didn’t read them. I haven’t been piling on Frank this season.  A lot of our poor execution early in the season was on Carson imo.  Today though, I couldn’t absolve Frank.  If I’m seeing us making the same mistakes in similar crucial situations against the better teams in different games, then how can’t Frank, Ballard,  and all of our analytics staff?  Go check our record under Frank when we have a pass ratio of 63% or higher vs good teams?  We never win.  Today it was 71% to 29% run.  And guess what?  We lost.  Again.  So how is our heavy, analytics leaning head coach not know that?  Yet, somehow he continues to abandon the running game vs other good teams and expecting a different result?

Just now, J@son said:

You should have. Everything you've said is already being discussed here

https://forums.colts.com/topic/71713-reich-does-it-again/

I actually posted towards the end of that one. Lol.  I just really wanted to post about the insanity that I’m seeing in the Colts organization.  Can’t believe we’re actually making the exact same mistakes as earlier in the season.  The exact same mistakes as years prior.  I don’t think one team since Frank has been our head coach has reached max potential and maximized their level of success.  Unacceptable we have no division titles under Frank and only 1 playoff win when we have had a team that’s had some of the most all pros.  Unacceptable we can’t beat other AFC playoff teams (outside of occasionally splitting with division rivals) under Frank.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result. 

No it's not. That is a phrase often attributed to Einstein (who was not a mental health expert) though many sources indicate he never even said it. 

9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Didn’t read them. I haven’t been piling on Frank this season.  A lot of our poor execution early in the season was on Carson imo.  Today though, I couldn’t absolve Frank.  If I’m seeing us making the same mistakes in similar crucial situations against the better teams in different games, then how can’t Frank, Ballard,  and all of our analytics staff?  Go check our record under Frank when we have a pass ratio of 63% or higher vs good teams?  We never win.  Today it was 71% to 29% run.  And guess what?  We lost.  Again.  So how is our heavy, analytics leaning head coach not know that?  Yet, somehow he continues to abandon the running game vs other good teams and expecting a different result?

Couple plays stood out to me about Frank's awareness. We threw an out to Pitt where he was staring straight in the sun and he dropped it. Think he even made a gesture at his eyes. ThenFrank did it again on fourth down? High throw but still no chance cause he couldnt see. 

It’s insane to me.  We never win vs good teams when our pass vs run ratio gets above 65%.  Never.  So why keep doing it?

The last time we won against a real good team, we beat the Chiefs with Brissett / Reich committing to the run to keep Mahomes on the sidelines. Go figure.

14 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

We were supposed to give Taylor 25-30 carries today (especially after building a 14-0 lead).  Then we could’ve limited his touches & went more by committee vs the Jets on Thursday night.  Today was supposed to be JT’s showcase and Carson could’ve carved up the Jets on Thursday.  Then we’re looking like a team that can win & be explosive while doing so via the run or pass.  What were we thinking not giving it to Taylor on 3rd or 4th and 3 in plus territory???  That insanity sounds familiar…

Oh, I remember. We did the same thing vs the Seahawks in week 1.  We were supposed to be leading that game going into halftime when Carson kept the RPO instead of giving it to Taylor on 3rd and short (sound familiar?) and got the ineligible man downfield penalty instead. And then he missed Pascal on 4th down.  Seattle would take the ball after the turnover on downs and Wilson would connect on the bomb before the end of the half and all of sudden we were in a dogfight instead of having a lead.  Should’ve been an even bigger lead today.

Instead we keep doing the same things over and over expecting different results.  3rd & short.  Don’t give it to Taylor.  Go for it on 4th.  Don’t execute properly (still no Taylor) and turn the ball over on downs.  Other team takes the ball and scores before half and we’re in a dogfight the rest of the way that we still refuse to use Taylor very much in the rest of the way and we lose.  Insanity.

Heck maybe we fans and Irsay and Ballard are all insane if we keep watching Frank’s in game decisions cost us games, division titles, and playoff wins and think it’s ok and that he’s gonna take us to the Super Bowl making these same kinda mistakes every year.  He’s a good man and the team loves him and plays hard for him.  But maybe it’s time for Frank to relinquish play calling and become more of an overseer before we ultimately have to fire him.  Kinda of a last ditch effort to mix things up.  

Maybe play calling, as the head coach, is the white whale Frank is chasing because that’s what Pederson did and got all the glory/credit for in Philly?  But Frank is wasting a talented team in in trying to do the same thing here because we’re not beating the better AFC teams with his poor decisions.  And it’s not simply a matter of them being more talented than us.  We’re often getting out executed and beating ourselves.  Let Frank have his input in all facets but let someone else call the plays.  Time to mix things up and stop the insanity. 

I actually posted towards the end of that one. Lol.  I just really wanted to post about the insanity that I’m seeing in the Colts organization.  Can’t believe we’re actually making the exact same mistakes as earlier in the season.  The exact same mistakes as years prior.  I don’t think one team since Frank has been our head coach has reached max potential and maximized their level of success.  Unacceptable we have no division titles under Frank and only 1 playoff win when we have had a team that’s had some of the most all pros.  Unacceptable we can’t beat other AFC playoff teams (outside of occasionally splitting with division rivals) under Frank.

Yes , most of us here predicted SB or bust with Jacoby and also thought PLAYOFFS once Rivers came here.   LMAO

And of course most franchises see at least one or two seasons of MAX Potential results in a typical 5 year period.

It's hard to win in the NFL, but i am seeing improvent in some areas, and in some young players. It is what i hoped and expected for this LEARNING SEASON.

Lots of very young players learning how to play at this level and learning how to win.

If Lewis hadn't blown out his knee, had not fumbled, we would have won by 10. And TY playing 20 more snaps would have been very helpful.

TOUGH RUCK!

15 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

We could do a poll.   If you had 2 downs to get 3 yards, what would you do.    Running Taylor would be the overwhelming winner.

17 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It is maddening that so many of you are blind to the gross mistakes Reich makes every game. A person puts up a lucid and truthful post and you laugh at him telling him to calm down.  Really?

I see all of one post telling the OP to calm down.

3 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Couple plays stood out to me about Frank's awareness. We threw an out to Pitt where he was staring straight in the sun and he dropped it. Think he even made a gesture at his eyes. ThenFrank did it again on fourth down? High throw but still no chance cause he couldnt see. 

But to be fair, Carson deserves blame on those plays too.  After the first one, you can’t go back to that throw again.  Granson was open on the crosser right in front of him.  But if Frank insisted on Wentz throwing to Pittman than sure you can’t send him “back” into the blinding sun.  But Wentz has to be smart enough not to even waste a second even thinking about throwing to that area of the field.  Pittman should’ve been the decoy and Wentz should’ve come off that read earlier.  Just work elsewhere from the get go.  

The exact same thing happened on the interception in OT.  Same side of the field.  Locked in on Pittman (blinding sun or triple coverage didn’t matter), missed the wide open underneath throws, and then forced bad balls to Pittman for game changing results that were not in our favor.  Notice that Wentz keep making the same crucial mistakes on key downs vs the good teams?  For every poor decision vs Tennessee, I can find other games this season where he made the exact same mistakes in similar down, distance, and game flow situations.  

Notice the trend.  Same mistakes being made over and over by our head coach and QB…. That makes it so hard to win games vs the good teams when the margin of victory is already so small in the NFL.  We give away 3-4 games a year.  Be it coaches decisions on going for it, coach or QB’s abandoning the run, defense playing soft zones and getting carved up for NFL records.  That’s what I mean by not maximizing our potential.  We haven’t even come close with Frank as the coach.  

And last years 11-5 or Luck’s 10-6 and early playoff exits don’t make up for it.  Because both of those teams gave away games too.  We were supposed to be top 2 seeds both of those seasons.  Last season we had as many All Pros (not pro bowl) as any team in the league.  With that kind of talent, anything less than top 2 seed & AFC title game was an underachievement.  This season I can already point out 4 games where we flat out beat ourselves with poor execution and dumb mistakes that killed our momentum and sparked the other team.  Just no sense of complimentary football at all.  

Guess I’m just frustrated to see such talented rosters get wasted by not being put into better positions to be more successful.  Give us Dungy from the Manning era as HC with Frank as his OC (Tony could temper Frank’s analytical insanity) and we’d have at least a couple division titles and a couple AFC title game appearances by now with the very same rosters.  We’d be working on a 3rd of each this season and not be 3-5 right now.

18 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Frank makes weak excuses...we seen the pass game struggling and sleep on JT with 7mins left in OT...now we will run the ball 40 times on the Jets and and abandon the run again the following week. If Frank can't get JT the rushing title with our Oline he should be canned...

Archived