Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free safety!

TimetobringDfence!

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Blackmon has all the tools to be our FS.  He is only in his 2nd year and has had  some injuries.  He already is a big hitter.  He just needs more playing time to keep improving and learning.  I’m not worried about FS.  

Maybe by year 3 he'll come together as our FS.  That seems to be what happens for most of our picks.

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We got 53 players and a FS aint 1!

Is it just me or are KW JB AS all strong safety type players. They excell in boxing up and stopping the run. What happened to having an outfielder like player...

I think we should consider Isaiah Rodgers as the centerfield FS. he is super fast and could cover a lot of ground at that position.

what are yall thoughts on that?

55 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Maybe by year 3 he'll come together as our FS.  That seems to be what happens for most of our picks.

And if not, maybe by year 4. Or year 5?

The point I'm trying to make, not just to you but to everyone, is we shouldn't avoid looking at the position just because we have someone on the roster that we, the fans, like. I am a major supporter of Blackmon, but we can't ignore a free agent or draft prospect in the offseason just for that reason. Due diligence needs to happen, no position (Aside from left guard and maybe RB) should be completely off the radar for upgrades.

15 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

And if not, maybe by year 4. Or year 5?

The point I'm trying to make, not just to you but to everyone, is we shouldn't avoid looking at the position just because we have someone on the roster that we, the fans, like. I am a major supporter of Blackmon, but we can't ignore a free agent or draft prospect in the offseason just for that reason. Due diligence needs to happen, no position (Aside from left guard and maybe RB) should be completely off the radar for upgrades.

Oh, I'm not saying we shouldn't keep looking.  I even started a FS thread elsewhere on the forums, for the next upcoming draft.  FA would be a good place to look as well.

1 hour ago, ruf said:

I think we should consider Isaiah Rodgers as the centerfield FS. he is super fast and could cover a lot of ground at that position.

Wouldn't mind if they tried him at wr with his 4.2 speed it be a nightmare to cover

33 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Willis played pretty good last week? I know he plays SS but I feel like people are writting him off just because he got beat in cover 2 a few times. 

He said today he was playing injured early on. If everyone remembers that Steelers game it was when Willis went out they carved us up with the pass.

8 hours ago, ruf said:

Rodgers is interesting, but he's had ups and downs in both coverage and tackling. 

4 missed tackles in his limited snaps is troublesome. And one of his whiffs was total lack of effort. Basically tried to push the guy instead of tackling. 

In coverage, he's got a decent passer rating allowed (now, but was really bad a week or so ago), but he's given up the 4th most yards in his limited snaps, and really got abused a few times. 

He did make a really athletic INT vs Mills though. That was very impressive. I wouldn't mind seeing how he does at FS, but his height (lack of) is a concern, and so is his physicality. He might be better though sideline to sideline in C3 than Blackmon though. I don't think he'd bite up and be undisciplined like Blackmon though.

8 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Wish everyone would stop delaying my gratification... 

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Wouldn't mind if they tried him at wr with his 4.2 speed it be a nightmare to cover

Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him in packages. That INT he had vs Mills showed that he has good hands and can stretch out. 

37 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Willis played pretty good last week? I know he plays SS but I feel like people are writting him off just because he got beat in cover 2 a few times. 

He's just never been that good outside the box, or against good QBs that take him vertical. 

I don't think it's writing him off, but I think he should be limited to box reps. 

33 minutes ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Honestly I feel like Rock ya-sin may actually be a better FS than corner

Me too, but he's arguably our best CB right now too lol.. 

1 hour ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Honestly I feel like Rock ya-sin may actually be a better FS than corner

I’ve often thought that.  He’s a little too slow to be a great corner but seams like a great candidate to convert to FS.  Wrestler mentality coming up to tackle and corner experience dropping in coverage.

I thought the goal of having the "F" safety was for him to take away the deep ball on both sides of the field (when in C1 or C3).  So speed is very much needed.

But, when we play C2, coming up to tackle is an issue.

It would seem that if we intend to play each C1, C2, and C3 (Dungy only played 1), then we need safeties who have the speed to cover sideline to sideline, instincts to read the patterns and QB to know what direction to take his first step (aka the fear Hooker put into opposing QBs so they never even attempted a long pass, LOL), but then have the play recognition and tackling ability (and willingness) to succeed there..

Sounds like a guy with so much talent and skill that he won't be around after round 1.

But wait, we also need a zone corner who can tackle, but can run with the WR on the deep routes when we play man coverage.

And LBers who can cover the middle but can blitz (because how dare we run a vanilla defense), but also have to be big enough to not get trucked by the RB.

And we need a LT, .......and we need a deep threat WR, and......

Either we have to pick a defense and an offense and stick with it, with all of its warts in situations, or draft the do-it-all's we need at every position with the first round picks that it would take. 

If we build through the draft, the first guy we drafted would be retiring by the time we were able to get the last guy we needed, LOL.

Nah, Blackmon is fine at FS.  A smart coach would play him there and limit the things we try to do as a defense. (unless he has a career threatening injury of course).  If he can't learn to cover deep, then choose between him and Willis and let the other find a new team.  JMO.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:36 AM, TimetobringDfence! said:

We got 53 players and a FS aint 1!

Is it just me or are KW JB AS all strong safety type players. They excell in boxing up and stopping the run. What happened to having an outfielder like player...

This notion that Blackmon, I know he's hurt, is a box style SS is a weird one.  He was never known as that in college, he was a rangy, hard hitting, ball hawk.... Then he had a ton of big play picks early his rookie year.... And now he's a SS?  Just because the Colts D is a complete joke of a H.S. level scheme, and they limit both safeties to having the same responsibilites, doesn't make him a SS.  Give Flus prime Ed Reed, and he'd play him solely in the box....it doesn't matter who we put at FS

7 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

This notion that Blackmon, I know he's hurt, is a box style SS is a weird one.  He was never known as that in college, he was a rangy, hard hitting, ball hawk.... Then he had a ton of big play picks early his rookie year.... And now he's a SS?  Just because the Colts D is a complete joke of a H.S. level scheme, and they limit both safeties to having the same responsibilites, doesn't make him a SS.  Give Flus prime Ed Reed, and he'd play him solely in the box....it doesn't matter who we put at FS

Not sure many are saying he should be limited to "box" SS. 

To me he'd be a prototypical SS, not limited to box.

I see Ss in couple different buckets.

• FS lurkers - centerfielders that are side to side and excel in coverage, but not guys that will excel going forward. Hooker for example, that would excel in C1 and be decent in C3. 
  • FS (general, well rounded) - great in coverage, decent coming forward when they need to. Can play C1/2/3 but likely best C2.
  • SS (general, well rounded) - great coming forward, decent in coverage, and good in the box when he needs to be. Can play most coverages. I think Blackmon could be a Pro Bowl type here.
  • Box S - great coming forward or blitzing, but a liability vertically in coverage like C2. Like Willis for example. 

Archived