Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Regarding Tackles, would you rather....

compuls1v3

have a Tackle that is constantly getting beat that leads to sacks, or is constantly holding?  Does anyone think Davenport has the tools to turn the corner, and just needs more experience?  It's great that Fisher is getting back into the line up and all, but we still need a long term solution for LT.  Thoughts?

30 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

have a Tackle that is constantly getting beat that leads to sacks, or is constantly holding?  Does anyone think Davenport has the tools to turn the corner, and just needs more experience?  It's great that Fisher is getting back into the line up and all, but we still need a long term solution for LT.  Thoughts?

As Pete Carroll would say... they won't flag you on every play. I'll take the hold over every QB getting destroyed. 

I would rather have a JAG/marginal tackle (such as we currently use) not be left on an island so often and get more chips on his man from TEs or help from running backs or have his job made easier by quick-developing plays like the Colts did on opening series

But in absence of that, and to answer OP, hold like Life along said!

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

None of those options but if we had to choose, rather have one that holds.

and NOOO. Davenport isn’t a rookie, he’s been in the league 5 or 6 years and has been a starter for atleast 2 of them. And then cut by both. He does not have the tools to “turn the corner”. He is terrible.

Way too soon to contemplate Fisher's short term and long term.

Davenport is bad, and will likely always be bad. He's not turning any corners soon.

Pryor might be a better stop gap on the right side while Smith is out.

Obviously the Colts are still kicking the tires on Ts, which is a good thing, even when Smith gets back.

My hope is that Fisher gets back to his pro bowl level and decides to play for us a couple more yrs. But, I understand that's wishful thinking. As far as Davenport, he is a serviceable backup but will probably never be a starter in this league. I'm curious to see what Pryor can do on that right side. I hope he gets a look Sunday.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Way too soon to contemplate Fisher's short term and long term.

Davenport is bad, and will likely always be bad. He's not turning any corners soon.

Pryor might be a better stop gap on the right side while Smith is out.

Obviously the Colts are still kicking the tires on Ts, which is a good thing, even when Smith gets back.

Don’t understand why Davenport was signed in the first place. There’s enough tape and game experience to evaluate him over the years. He wasn’t good then so just because he played in the league doesn’t make him a hot commodity. Just a total waste of time and resources signing this guy in the first place. 

5 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

My hope is that Fisher gets back to his pro bowl level and decides to play for us a couple more yrs. But, I understand that's wishful thinking. As far as Davenport, he is a serviceable backup but will probably never be a starter in this league. I'm curious to see what Pryor can do on that right side. I hope he gets a look Sunday.

Just now, Blueblood23 said:

Don’t understand why Davenport was signed in the first place. There’s enough tape and game experience to evaluate him over the years. He wasn’t good then so just because he played in the league doesn’t make him a hot commodity. Just a total waste of time and resources signing this guy in the first place. 

Davenport is bad, Tevi was worse and there was plenty of tape on him as well, that signing everyone but our brass knew was a disaster waiting to happen. Holden wasnt the answer at all either, we got extremely fortunate Fisher made it back so quickly and ahead of schedule. I think he could be here long term depending how high bidding for his services get. 

9 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Davenport and Tevi. Just can't find good reasons for either lol

21 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

I'd say it's more "likely" than it is "wishful thinking"

I think one of the biggest positives from this week was that we pretty much only gave up one sack. I think they got another one late, but now when it really mattered. Fisher has been decent. 

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Davenport and Tevi. Just can't find good reasons for either lol

Especially when Leno Jr was avail from CHI

13 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think one of the biggest positives from this week was that we pretty much only gave up one sack. I think they got another one late, but now when it really mattered. Fisher has been decent. 

Especially when Leno Jr was avail from CHI

There were sooooo many options and we just made the wrong calls. 

We didn't give up sacks, but I think that's because we went more dink/dunk. He still have hit a ton and was under pressure the whole time. Fisher does make a big difference though.

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We didn't give up sacks, but I think that's because we went more dink/dunk. He still have hit a ton and was under pressure the whole time. Fisher does make a big difference though.

Fisher does make a huge difference.  So glad we have him.

38 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Im with you East. I never agreed with signing Davenpport or Tevi. 

Also, who remembers Haeg? What about Clark? Or Goode? or Austin Blythe? 

Lots of recency bias and blue shades in here. 

10 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Im with you East. I never agreed with signing Davenpport or Tevi. 

Also, who remembers Haeg? What about Clark? Or Goode? or Austin Blythe? 

Lots of recency bias and blue shades in here. 

I could understand if we didn't have other choices, but we did. Just had the smell of going cheap all over it. And really we wouldn't have spent much more. 

And there's still a couple guys still out there we could have grabbed before week 1 or after.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I could understand if we didn't have other choices, but we did. Just had the smell of going cheap all over it. And really we wouldn't have spent much more. 

And there's still a couple guys still out there we could have grabbed before week 1 or after.

I think we have also gone cheap on WR. I think pittman has a Mike Evans ceiling.. I just think it could take a little while. Once he gets the ball in his hands he really looks solid. 

I don't think Hilton would save this offense. 

6 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think we have also gone cheap on WR. I think pittman has a Mike Evans ceiling.. I just think it could take a little while. Once he gets the ball in his hands he really looks solid. 

I don't think Hilton would save this offense. 

I think different play calling would make our WRs look a heck of a lot better. 

Pittman to me is a #2 WR kind of guy. I'm not a huge fan of Xs being a number 1 type. 

And I think you and I have discussed before, I think Pittman is best at bully slot. 

But right now, just can't blame it on WR. Too much other noise in the channel.... 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I think different play calling would make our WRs look a heck of a lot better. 

Pittman to me is a #2 WR kind of guy. I'm not a huge fan of Xs being a number 1 type. 

And I think you and I have discussed before, I think Pittman is best at bully slot. 

But right now, just can't blame it on WR. Too much other noise in the channel.... 

I'm not blaming WR.

I'm saying we have gone cheap there. And we have.

Pascal? Cheap (I like him a lot)
Campbell - bust? starting to look like Dorsett 2.0 but injured way more.

Hilton - 1 year 10 mil? not that expensive for your highest paid WR

Dulin - ? Lol

I mean cmon where are the dishes?

Ballard loved talking about Grigson's empty cupboard didn't he. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I'm not blaming WR.

I'm saying we have gone cheap there. And we have.

Pascal? Cheap (I like him a lot)
Campbell - bust? starting to look like Dorsett 2.0 but injured way more.

Hilton - 1 year 10 mil? not that expensive for your highest paid WR

Dulin - ? Lol

I mean cmon where are the dishes?

Ballard loved talking about Grigson's empty cupboard didn't he. 

Here's my take on the fix....

Assumes starters play 70% of snaps... 

First and foremost... Need more route and play call diversity. Need more verts so DB coverage can't go compact. You have to have decent OL play to do that. We didn't do it a lot last year when our OL was good. The excuse we heard last year was River's arm. The year before that, it was JB couldn't throw the long ball. 

Pittman - 40% at slot, 30% as X2... needs slants both short and deep. needs calls/balls that get him in space, even screens would be nice. At X, give him go-routes instead of all back shoulder and flat stuff.

Campbell - 50% Z, 20% slot. Motion deep slants like Hill. Verts and skinny posts.

Pascal - 30% slot, 20% X. Let him be the flat guy and shallow crosser.

TY - just mix him in at Z and slot when available with same routes as Campbell. Let him go vert instead of all the back shoulder and comeback junk. He's too little for that. He needs separation routes, not last-cut routes.

Strachan - 50% X. He can do all the possession stuff and has the speed to go vert. If he can run the route well, he was the traits to do it all. Move him around to pick on small DBs.

Patmon - no possession routes. has speed so can play from anywhere, just needs routes that gives him balls in front of him in stride.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's my take on the fix....

Assumes starters play 70% of snaps... 

First and foremost... Need more route and play call diversity. Need more verts so DB coverage can't go compact. You have to have decent OL play to do that. We didn't do it a lot last year when our OL was good. The excuse we heard last year was River's arm. The year before that, it was JB couldn't throw the long ball. 

Pittman - 40% at slot, 30% as X2... needs slants both short and deep. needs calls/balls that get him in space, even screens would be nice. At X, give him go-routes instead of all back shoulder and flat stuff.

Campbell - 50% Z, 20% slot. Motion deep slants like Hill. Verts and skinny posts.

Pascal - 30% slot, 20% X. Let him be the flat guy and shallow crosser.

TY - just mix him in at Z and slot when available with same routes as Campbell. Let him go vert instead of all the back shoulder and comeback junk. He's too little for that. He needs separation routes, not last-cut routes.

Strachan - 50% X. He can do all the possession stuff and has the speed to go vert. If he can run the route well, he was the traits to do it all. Move him around to pick on small DBs.

Patmon - no possession routes. has speed so can play from anywhere, just needs routes that gives him balls in front of him in stride.

I like a lot of the WR we have. Ballard said over and over he likes the players too. 

However,, at some point someone is gonna have to produce. It's looking bad. 

30 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I like a lot of the WR we have. Ballard said over and over he likes the players too. 

However,, at some point someone is gonna have to produce. It's looking bad. 

At some point, the better move IMO is to let someone else call plays. 

I just don't see us ever being dynamic regardless of who we get unless the scheme and game planning changes.

Archived