Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2021 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Contreras pretty much called out the whole team…..he’s not wrong, although he also hasn’t been stellar as of late.

giphy.gif

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-willson-contreras-david-ross-20210711-qgiixi3feffb5c3n5uuq24sddm-story.html%3foutputType=amp

If anyone has the right to call out the team it is MVP. He is really the only one that is having good season out of our best players. It isn't in his nature though, great player but too nice personality wise. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joe Buck is one of those guys that gives the media a bad name. He is an example of why some people think the media has motives and are annoying. It is like he wants the Cubs to be broke up. He never has anything positive to say about the Cubs. In reality it is none of his business how the Cubs approach the deadline but he constantly has this agenda that KB should be traded. He went on and on about this when we played the Cards. Listening to his nonsense made me mute the game. He is a sports broadcaster, his job is to do play by play for games. 

Yes, it just so bad. He needs to be fired. In reality fox needs to revamp all its announcers. But they did not bring the cubs up without talking about trading them. The Cards have the same record!

Also, some reporting today about that unless hoyer is blown away on kb trade offer, probably Mets, he may prefer to keep him and do qualifying offer instead same javy and rizzo. 

If that is case, likely be some bullpen guys and Davies and Joc/Marisnick will get traded while the others stuck.

9 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Yes, it just so bad. He needs to be fired. In reality fox needs to revamp all its announcers. But they did not bring the cubs up without talking about trading them. The Cards have the same record!

Also, some reporting today about that unless hoyer is blown away on kb trade offer, probably Mets, he may prefer to keep him and do qualifying offer instead same javy and rizzo. 

If that is case, likely be some bullpen guys and Davies and Joc/Marisnick will get traded while the others stuck.

Yep, I mentioned this the other day, Hoyer isn't trading KB unless he gets a lot in return. He isn't that stupid, sell or not, you don't trade away your best player for peanuts.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, I mentioned this the other day, Hoyer isn't trading KB unless he gets a lot in return. He isn't that stupid, sell or not, you don't trade away your best player for peanuts.

To add to this, the Cards have the same exact record as the Cubs and we even lost 11 in a row at 1 point. To your point why doesn't Joe Buck talk about the Cards selling or trading someone like Goldschmidt? The Cards pitching staff is pretty old as well, I think he just wants to see the Cubs broken up because since 2015 we have beat them more than they have beat us. He is clearly a Cards fan and anyone can see it. It was fun for Cards fans when we were their punching bag, not so fun over the last 7 years though lmao 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To add to this, the Cards have the same exact record as the Cubs and we even lost 11 in a row at 1 point. To your point why doesn't Joe Buck talk about the Cards selling or trading someone like Goldschmidt? The Cards pitching staff is pretty old as well, I think he just wants to see the Cubs broken up because since 2015 we have beat them more than they have beat us. He is clearly a Cards fan and anyone can see it. It was fun for Cards fans when we were their punching bag, not so fun over the last 7 years though lmao 

I honestly didn't expect him to be more fine with comp pick, but its also perception they said that if he leaves in FA, its better than getting rid of him 

Yep, but also the other announcers last weekend on Fox also made same stupid comments. Like same record but cards pitching staff is injured and multiple not likely to be back. Cubs still have players that can produce and are waiting on some guys to return. 

I saw one person talk about how cubs should sell (which i agree with) but cards buy cuz theyare contenders, like how dumb are people 

Also ill be at Giants/Cards this Saturday and Cubs/Cards next Thursday. Twins/cards on the 30th. Be my first games since like June 16th, longest I've gone this season without seeing a game live

7 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Yes, it just so bad.

You sound like a Vikings fan. Lol. We love it when we don't have to hear Joe Buck. Isn't Joe Buck the top broadcaster for the Cards? 

I like announcers that are objective and just call the game. Vin Scully was the best. The Mets announcers over the years have also been very good at being objective, criticizing Mets players and highlighting the skills of opposing players.  Gary Cohen has been a Mets broadcaster from the time I began following baseball. He has always been my favorite.

Do you know Kevin Burkhardt? He started with the Mets and always reminds me of Gary Cohen. He is now one of the top broadcasters for football. Is he doing baseball too? I think he is great. 

Joe Buck is getting more and more painful to listen to.  He's nothing like his Dad, Jack Buck.  Joe is not the Cardinals broadcaster, but if he has any affinity for the Cardinals, it's from growing up with his Dad as the radio voice of the Cardinals, which is understandable.

Joe is being over-used by Fox.  TV networks should use a main broadcaster for their primetime games in each sport.  Buck can do NFL, someone else for MLB, and so on.  I guess since Fox only does MLB and NFL, then they use him for both since the seasons don't overlap much.  Fox doesn't carry NBA or NHL to my knowledge.

Buck tends to make his broadcasts about him and not the action on the field...tries to be a comedian, etc.  I'll admit, doing TV is harder than radio, because viewers can see what's happening and the TV broadcaster is there for filler and background information.  On radio, he/she has to describe everything to help the listener visualize.

I did radio play by play and color commentary for over a dozen years, but had a couple of occasions to do TV and it's a whole different approach.

I will say no sport on TV needs more than 2 people in the booth...leads to too much talking and it's very distracting for me to hear 3 people talking over each other.

I will say, on another note, that I'm so glad Chris Berman is no longer doing the HR Derby...got so very tired of the "back, back, back" call on almost every HR.  C'mon, think of another way to describe a HR!

59 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Joe Buck is getting more and more painful to listen to.  He's nothing like his Dad, Jack Buck.  Joe is not the Cardinals broadcaster, but if he has any affinity for the Cardinals, it's from growing up with his Dad as the radio voice of the Cardinals, which is understandable.

Joe is being over-used by Fox.  TV networks should use a main broadcaster for their primetime games in each sport.  Buck can do NFL, someone else for MLB, and so on.  I guess since Fox only does MLB and NFL, then they use him for both since the seasons don't overlap much.  Fox doesn't carry NBA or NHL to my knowledge.

Buck tends to make his broadcasts about him and not the action on the field...tries to be a comedian, etc.  I'll admit, doing TV is harder than radio, because viewers can see what's happening and the TV broadcaster is there for filler and background information.  On radio, he/she has to describe everything to help the listener visualize.

I blame his poor performance on IU where he attended college.  

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You sound like a Vikings fan. Lol. We love it when we don't have to hear Joe Buck. Isn't Joe Buck the top broadcaster for the Cards? 

I like announcers that are objective and just call the game. Vin Scully was the best. The Mets announcers over the years have also been very good at being objective, criticizing Mets players and highlighting the skills of opposing players.  Gary Cohen has been a Mets broadcaster from the time I began following baseball. He has always been my favorite.

Do you know Kevin Burkhardt? He started with the Mets and always reminds me of Gary Cohen. He is now one of the top broadcasters for football. Is he doing baseball too? I think he is great. 

That is the best part for us Colts, we rarely get Buck for Football. And I never heard Scully, but I agree with the Mets. If I end up watching the Mets game vs non-Cubs I will watch their broadcast just because they sound good. Even with the 3 person booth they all work well with each other.

And as Barry said Buck is not with Cards, his dad was and he lived in STL up until a couple months ago he had a massive house here. 

And I know the name, Kevin Burkhardt, but not sticking in my mind his call and all.

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

I did radio play by play and color commentary for over a dozen years, but had a couple of occasions to do TV and it's a whole different approach.

I will say no sport on TV needs more than 2 people in the booth...leads to too much talking and it's very distracting for me to hear 3 people talking over each other.

I will say, on another note, that I'm so glad Chris Berman is no longer doing the HR Derby...got so very tired of the "back, back, back" call on almost every HR.  C'mon, think of another way to describe a HR!

I very much agree on Berman, I do not get why they think he is so good, his calls are annoying and he thinks he is more important than the game. I was so happy when he left the ESPN NFL shows, but I enjoyed Trey Wingo so was sad he left

The Cubs had the perfect team of TV announcers with Jim and Len. They were fun to listen too - funny jokes, etc., would get excited when the Cubs made a great play or won but they always gave the other team credit where their strengths were. We were spoiled for years listening to them. I have watched a ton of games and I can never remember once where either said anything bad about the Cards or negative and that is a huge rival.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Cubs had the perfect team of TV announcers with Jim and Len. They were fun to listen too - funny jokes, etc., would get excited when the Cubs made a great play or won but they always gave the other team credit where their strengths were. We were spoiled for years listening to them. I have watched a ton of games and I can never remember once where either said anything bad about the Cards or negative and that is a huge rival.

I miss len, I dont mind boog, but its just not same as len was the only announcer I knew for the cubs. Chris Myers can suck an egg, he is the worst I've heard. He is a Cubs announcer but only gets excited and sounds happy for other team. And is also unprepared and doesn't know basic info for cubs

6 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I miss len, I dont mind boog, but its just not same as len was the only announcer I knew for the cubs. Chris Myers can suck an egg, he is the worst I've heard. He is a Cubs announcer but only gets excited and sounds happy for other team. And is also unprepared and doesn't know basic info for cubs

I have never liked Chris Myers style. He is so bland, when he is on, it is hard to listen too. I rate Boog in the good category but Len was exceptional. That girl they have do games as well seems to get excited when the other team makes a huge play or takes the lead. At first I didn't think anything of it but I have noticed it 2 or 3 times now. She isn't bad but I don't like her style either.

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have never liked Chris Myers style. He is so bland, when he is on, it is hard to listen too. I rate Boog in the good category but Len was exceptional. That girl they have do games as well seems to get excited when the other team makes a huge play or takes the lead. At first I didn't think anything of it but I have noticed it 2 or 3 times now. She isn't bad but I don't like her style either.

Its not just bland, everything about him, I never thought I'd see someone worst the buck at calling cubs games

Which girl? There's the blonde, who's late dad, was Rockies president. Or the brunette who only does a few games but worked the weekend Myers was there

34 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Its not just bland, everything about him, I never thought I'd see someone worst the buck at calling cubs games

Which girl? There's the blonde, who's late dad, was Rockies president. Or the brunette who only does a few games but worked the weekend Myers was there

Beth Mowins, I apologize I forgot her name. 

7 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Oh a play by play, I thought you meant the sideline announcers they have. And I can get that, she is much more a national than a local. For college games I don't find her bad though

She is better than Chris Myers lmao but that isn't saying much. Yeah a lot of it is if you are not a truefan of the team than you tend to get too excited for other teams. Jim is a truefan of the team but still praises the other teams but not to a point where he gets excited if the other team takes the lead vs us in a game. If you are an hired announcer for a local team you should be a little bias, that is the point. I definitely don't want to listen to someone on the Cubs network that goes bonkers if Molina hits a HR for example.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

She is better than Chris Myers lmao but that isn't saying much. Yeah a lot of it is if you are not a truefan of the team than you tend to get too excited for other teams. Jim is a truefan of the team but still praises the other teams but not to a point where he gets excited if the other team takes the lead vs us in a game. If you are an hired announcer for a local team you should be a little bias, that is the point. I definitely don't want to listen to someone on the Cubs network that goes bonkers if Molina hits a HR for example.

So Chris Myers? To the last linehaha

And I agree, there should some as it is your team now. I dont care for Hughes on TV broadcast as he is so radio and that doesn't fit well for the TV broadcast. But do enjoy him and Ron on 670, and will use it whenever Myers is on Marquee

17 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

So Chris Myers? To the last linehaha

And I agree, there should some as it is your team now. I dont care for Hughes on TV broadcast as he is so radio and that doesn't fit well for the TV broadcast. But do enjoy him and Ron on 670, and will use it whenever Myers is on Marquee

I agree about Hughes, he is great on radio, TV he is at least average but he is built for radio. There has to be a balance between being bias toward the team you announce for and crediting the other team. When someone gets excited for the opposing team doing well though is when that isn't good IMO. I get it if maybe the opposing team is on the verge of pitching a no-hitter or an opposing batter has 3 HR's going 4, that is rare though. The opposing teams announcer should applaud that type of stuff.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Man, I am glad that I don't pay much attention to the announcers when watching sports.   I can't even name who I like or dislike.  

It is really hard not too unless you mute it lmao . I watch a lot of baseball too, a lot of people don't until like late August into September and then the playoffs.

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree about Hughes, he is great on radio, TV he is at least average but he is built for radio. There has to be a balance between being bias toward the team you announce for and crediting the other team. When someone gets excited for the opposing team doing well though is when that isn't good IMO. I get it if maybe the opposing team is on the verge of pitching a no-hitter or an opposing batter has 3 HR's going 4, that is rare though. The opposing teams announcer should applaud that type of stuff.

It is just hard to flip since he doesn't need to describe everything like radio, and no Village at Bedford Park announcements on the TV broadcast hahaI would say the Mariners broadcast is good about dealing with that. I saw both times they got no-hit this year and was listening to their broadcast and neither time did I think these people feel sorry for themselves type of thing. 

10 hours ago, Myles said:

Man, I am glad that I don't pay much attention to the announcers when watching sports.   I can't even name who I like or dislike.  

I can't, I have always focused on sounds when watching stuff. When Audio and video don't line up it really bothers me. But I do have list of broadcasters I cant stand

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

The first Cubs selling trade of the season, Joc off to Braves to help with Acuna injury

I did have a feeling this might happen but I would be shocked if KB gets traded. Joc was really never really part of the tradition in Chicago, good player but tradeable.  

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did have a feeling this might happen but I would be shocked if KB gets traded. Joc was really never really part of the tradition in Chicago, good player but tradeable.  

The next couple of weeks should be interesting. It is gonna be long 2 weeks from tomorrow.

Also for you Cardinal Fans, Ted Simmons number 23 is being retired by the team on July 31. Now you can join the cool people by having a number 23 jersey retired:lol:

On 7/13/2021 at 11:44 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joe Buck is one of those guys that gives the media a bad name. He is an example of why some people think the media has motives and are annoying. It is like he wants the Cubs to be broke up. He never has anything positive to say about the Cubs. In reality it is none of his business how the Cubs approach the deadline but he constantly has this agenda that KB should be traded. He went on and on about this when we played the Cards. Listening to his nonsense made me mute the game. He is a sports broadcaster, his job is to do play by play for games. 

I agree he's not even a pimple on his dads ___  :spit: you can fill in the blank

13 hours ago, HOZER said:

So it begins….farewell Joc, loved the kids energy.

Hearing rumors that Castellanos could come back next season for the right price…..who am I fooling we won’t offer the right price.

Who is Castellanos?

When I was following baseball 30+ years ago, all the stats I used to compare players were Wins, ERA, Hits Batting Average, On Base Percentage, RBIs, Runs,  steals, etc. Later I would see OPS.

Nowadays, the stats are so much more advanced and complicated.  FIP, wRC+, WAR, OPS+, DRS, wOBA, BABIP, xFIP, etc. Many Mets fans use WAR, wRC and wRC+. I cannot understand what they are saying. Lol.

Which stats do you use when evaluating/comparing players?

Who is Castellanos?

Reds RF, was on Cubs back in 2019 for couple months after trade from tigers 

When I was following baseball 30+ years ago, all the stats I used to compare players were Wins, ERA, Hits Batting Average, On Base Percentage, RBIs, Runs,  steals, etc. Later I would see OPS.

Nowadays, the stats are so much more advanced and complicated.  FIP, wRC+, WAR, OPS+, DRS, wOBA, BABIP, xFIP, etc. Many Mets fans use WAR, wRC and wRC+. I cannot understand what they are saying. Lol.

Which stats do you use when evaluating/comparing players?

WAR, WRC+, ERA and FIP together. Wins are such a pointless one, look at deGrom career. 

And the WRC+ and ERA+ 100 is an average. 101 is a guy who is 1% better hitter than average guy 102 2% etc. Same for ERA+. 99 would be 1% worse. 

WAR, 0 is a replacement level person negative would be worse player than a replacement (think random triple A dude). Barry bonds has the highest WAR in a career at 162.7. Pupils is just shy of 100 Mike trout is 75. A really great season is 8-9 WAR 

Kinda an eventful MLB night, we will start with Central.

Cubs were down to their last out down 2-1 vs D-Backs. Ortega ropes a double, Chirnos hits a single to tie, Willy ropes a HR to go up 4-2 to win it after Kimbrel locks it down. (It is hard to know how much this means since D-Backs are bad, but who knows if Cubs can get hot, and even after trading still make noise in Aug/Sept.)

Cardinals beat Giants, at least split the season series vs Giants and have taken 3 of 5 games so far. 

Brewers and Reds are tied at 3 in Top of 9th. Garrett Gave up another 2 runs tonight. @RollerColt you guys need to DFA him, he has been trash this year, and that is best way I can say it on here. His personality is bigger than him, and he isnt backing it up at all. He cost the game last night too.

And finally after a 24-8 Padres win last night over Nats (the highest they ever scored) the game was suspended tonight in DC due to a shooting outside the stadium after the Top of 6. Video shows players grabbing family from stands and rushing them into clubhouse. People in stands were told to stay in stadium before leaving through CF and RF gates as shooting was out of LF gate. In some videos you can here the gunshots 

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Kinda an eventful MLB night, we will start with Central.

Cubs were down to their last out down 2-1 vs D-Backs. Ortega ropes a double, Chirnos hits a single to tie, Willy ropes a HR to go up 4-2 to win it after Kimbrel locks it down. (It is hard to know how much this means since D-Backs are bad, but who knows if Cubs can get hot, and even after trading still make noise in Aug/Sept.)

Cardinals beat Giants, at least split the season series vs Giants and have taken 3 of 5 games so far. 

Brewers and Reds are tied at 3 in Top of 9th. Garrett Gave up another 2 runs tonight. @RollerColt you guys need to DFA him, he has been trash this year, and that is best way I can say it on here. His personality is bigger than him, and he isnt backing it up at all. He cost the game last night too.

And finally after a 24-8 Padres win last night over Nats (the highest they ever scored) the game was suspended tonight in DC due to a shooting outside the stadium after the Top of 6. Video shows players grabbing family from stands and rushing them into clubhouse. People in stands were told to stay in stadium before leaving through CF and RF gates as shooting was out of LF gate. In some videos you can here the gunshots 

Amir is easily my least favorite player on the team. He lets us down more often than not. We need a better bullpen but sadly so does everyone else…

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Amir is easily my least favorite player on the team. He lets us down more often than not. We need a better bullpen but sadly so does everyone else…

The Cubs have a pretty good one once the 7th inning starts. 

He has just been so bad,and causes so many issues for other people with his actions on the field

The Mets can't beat the Pirates. @buccolts must be pleased. :)

Now, I hear Jacob deGrom is going on the IL (used to be the DL when I followed baseball regularly). :( Sounds like a majority of Mets players have spent time on IL. There are so many players I don't recognize. haha

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Mets can't beat the Pirates. @buccolts must be pleased. :)

Now, I hear Jacob deGrom is going on the IL (used to be the DL when I followed baseball regularly). :( Sounds like a majority of Mets players have spent time on IL. There are so many players I don't recognize. haha

deGrom is a forearm strain from what I saw, that is not good, things like that can end up being Tommy John surgery reasons. And Lindor is on IL with side injury

27 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

deGrom is a forearm strain from what I saw, that is not good, things like that can end up being Tommy John surgery reasons. And Lindor is on IL with side injury

Yeah, not good at all. 

Where has Syndergaard been all year? I thought he was going to be back this year. 

14 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I thought second half, but Idk it seems like he is just missing now

Yeah. I am a big fan of his. I want him to come back.

Btw, I think I jinxed the Pirates. They were beating the Mets by a score of 5 - 1, I believe. I posted the comment that the Mets can't beat the Pirates and wanted to prove me wrong. The Mets came back and won 7-6. Lol. They still lost two-thirds of their games against the Pirates this year, I believe. 

Archived