Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC Playoff Picture Record/Schedule/Discussion *Updated* (Merge)

w87r

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Still strange we would lose out on this tie breaker somehow?

Maybe, I don't even know at this point.

We would - Pittsburgh is already in, even if they lose the rest of their games. Baltimore has us in a head-to-head tiebreaker, and Miami would surpass our conference record: believe it or not, we kinda screwed ourselves by going 4-0 against the NFC North - if you flip just 2 of those wins into losses but wins against AFC teams, not only are we likely already in but if those wins were against the Jags & Titans, we probably would've already won the AFC South or would be within 1 victory of any sort of clinching it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Still strange we would lose out on this tie breaker somehow?

Maybe, I don't even know at this point.

Just put it through the simulator and we would in fact be out of playoffs if Pit, Mia, Balt, Ind finish 11-5.

NFL tiebreaker has major flaws if this happens.

We beat Pit h2h

Pit beat Baltimore h2h 2 times

Balti.ore beat us H2H

Miami has conference record over us

We miss out......?:dunno:

2 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

We would - Pittsburgh is already in, even if they lose the rest of their games. Baltimore has us in a head-to-head tiebreaker, and Miami would surpass our conference record: believe it or not, we kinda screwed ourselves by going 4-0 against the NFC North - if you flip just 2 of those wins into losses but wins against AFC teams, not only are we likely already in but if those wins were against the Jags & Titans, we probably would've already won the AFC South or would be within 1 victory of any sort of clinching it.

What if Pitt loses the rest of their games and finishes 11-5, we beat Pitt but lose to Jacks. Indy and Pitt both would be 11-5 but the 1st tiebreaker is head to head and we would have that right?

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Yeah, I know it just makes no sense.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if Pitt loses the rest of their games and finishes 11-5, we beat Pitt but lose to Jacks. Indy and Pitt both would be 11-5 but the 1st tiebreaker is head to head and we would have that right?

Nope

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pittsburgh is already in the postseason by virtue of our victory over Las Vegas - in an 11-5 scenario, we lose the tiebreakers to every other team we're tied with either by head-to-head, or conference record.

Just now, Lancer1 said:

Pittsburgh is already in the postseason by virtue of our victory over Las Vegas - in an 11-5 scenario, we lose the tiebreakers to every other team we're tied with either by head-to-head, or conference reccord.

Wow, I always thought it was head to head no matter what. I learn something new every year lmao 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is strange because we would have the head to head over Pitt.

Yeah it exposes a flawed process.

Ind > Pit

Pit > Bal

Bal > Ind

But somehow Miami would be in over us.

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

Pittsburgh is already in the postseason by virtue of our victory over Las Vegas - in an 11-5 scenario, we lose the tiebreakers to every other team we're tied with either by head-to-head, or conference record.

Las Vegas shouldn't have anything to do with the tie breaker though 

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah it exposes a flawed process.

Ind > Pit

Pit > Bal

Bal > Ind

But somehow Miami would be in over us.

Miami would beat us by conference record.

Bottom line, the best way to guarantee a postseason berth is by winning our final 2 games!

Just now, Lancer1 said:

Miami would beat us by conference record.

Bottom line, the best way to guarantee a postseason berth is by winning our final 2 games!

I know Miami has a better conference record than us, what doesnt make sense it how it supersedes our H2H over Pittsburgh.

Its a flawed process. 

I know we just need to win out and not worry about it. Been going over this for weeks.

All this talk is probably for not, but h2h over Pitt should have us in over them, if they are in over Baltimore and Baltimore is in over us. Miami should be on the outside looking in regardless of conference record because H2H is 1st the breaker

5 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

So if Pitt was to lose out the rest of the way (including tonight) and we were to win out, could we actually get the 5 seed? Assuming we don’t take over the South?

If we win out and Pit goes 1-2 we would have 5 seed over them. Our h2h would matter then. Assuming we dont take division.

Edit- actually this is wrong, because that would have them beating the Browns which would clinch division.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I know Miami has a better conference record than us, what doesnt make sense it how it supersedes our H2H over Pittsburgh.

Its a flawed process. 

I know we just need to win out and not worry about it. Been going over this for weeks.

All this talk is probably for not, but h2h over Pitt should have us in over them, if they are in over Baltimore and Baltimore is in over us. Miami should be on the outside looking in regardless of conference record because H2H is 1st the breaker

I agree, head to head no matter what should be 1st for all tiebreakers.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Its a flawed process. 

Right now Miami is 9-5, while we're 10-4. We both possess a similar 6-4 record within the AFC. We both have 2 remaining games both against AFC opponents. For us to end the season tied at 11-5, they'd have to win both their games and we'd have to drop 1, meaning they would have an 8-4 record in the AFC while we would be 7-5, and on the outside looking in.

To get in at 11-5, we would need Miami to lose at least 1 of their remaining 2 games, and then the best they could do is 10-6.

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

Right now Miami is 9-5, while we're 10-4. We both possess a similar 6-4 record within the AFC. We both have 2 remaining games both against AFC opponents. For us to end the season tied at 11-5, they'd have to win both their games and we'd have to drop 1, meaning they would have an 8-4 record in the AFC while we would be 7-5, and on the outside looking in.

To get in at 11-5, we would need Miami to lose at least 1 of their remaining 2 games, and then the best they could do is 10-6.

What do you not understand about, that I understand the conference tie breaker?

The question is why that supersedes the h2h over Pittsburgh.

Just now, Lancer1 said:

I can't believe Pittsburgh is about to lose their 3rd in a row, this does not bode well for us because they'll be desperate this weekend, and it's hard to imagine them dropping 4 consecutive games, although stranger things have happened.

IMO they are ripe for the picking. 

Archived