Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alshon Jefferey Impresses At Pro Day With Weight And Speed

There were concerns that he was fat and slow. 

He was rumored to have weighed over 250 lb during the season and that he wasn't motivated enough to slim down. 

Well he weighed in at 213 lb and ran between a 4.4 and a 4.5 sec 40 yard dash. 

He had some mediocre QBs throwing to him last season but he still was able to show his potential devastating talent. 

If he's still there at the top of the second round, I wouldn't be mad if the Colts called his name. 

“With Alshon, when it’s time, he comes to work,” Wilson said. “The kid can will himself to do what he wants to do. All those people that said he was slow, I mean what are you saying now? The kid is 213, you said he was 249. I’m so proud of him; I just don’t know what to say.

“My thing is this. When you turn on the film, you see the kid play. Some people try to find reasons why not. I don’t think they can find a reason.”

It was not all positive news about Jeffery from “Pro Timing Day.” Mike Mayock of the NFL Network, who was in attendance, said while Jeffery had “as good a day as he possibly could have,” his dramatic weight loss may have created even more concerns in the minds of teams mulling over whether to select him in the first round.

“He played at about 235 at South Carolina,” he said. “He weighed in today at 213. So, there’s a 22-pound drop. Now, I had him at 4.50 in the 40 which is really good for him. A lot of people thought he would run a 4.65 or 4.70 off the game tape. So he ran an excellent 40. But the question is with the 22-pound differential in weight, which kid are you getting? Are you getting the 213-pounder or you getting the 235-pounder or is it somewhere in between and that’s what NFL teams have to figure out. Is how strongly do you feel that this kid can keep his weight in a reasonable place so that you’re getting the kid that runs faster.”

For those reasons as well as pre-combine film, Mayock still has Jeffery on the outside of the first round.

“What we saw on the tape tells us he’s a second-round pick,” he said. “Has great heads. He’ll be a Red Zone threat. A threat outside the numbers on one-on-one passes. But you’re not going to trust a first-round pick to a kid that you’re not sure what he’s going to weigh.”

(A full interview with Mayock can be seen at thetandd.com/sports).

At this point, Jeffery appears unfazed by the criticism and is content with any position an NFL team chooses him in April.

“It doesn’t matter,” he said. “I just want to get there. Let the chips fall where they may. Whatever team drafts me, I’m going to be a great asset to the team and make them better.”

NOTES: The New York Jets’ Rex Ryan was the only head coach among the 12 teams in attendance at Wednesday’s “Pro Timing Day.” Also in Columbia were scouts from Carolina, Minnesota, Cincinnati, San Diego, Atlanta, Baltimore, the New York Giants, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Houston and Indianapolis. Among the local dignitaries watching the combines were University of South Carolina head coaches Steve Spurrier and Dawn Staley and athletics director Eric Hyman.

Read more: http://m.thetandd.com/sports/family-fans-cheer-alshon-jeffery-as-he-performs-for-nfl/article_da903a04-7959-11e1-bb19-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1qVoou1IR

The top of the second is to pick a playmaker and Luck needs targets, preferably someone tall. In my mind, that would include Fleener (who probably won't be there), a Z receiver like Jeffery or X type receivers like Randle or Quick.

Jeffery is still a slow player, no mater how fast he runs his 40's. The reason I'm so adamant about this is because I've seen dominant players in College on my Favorite team, Mike Williams, Dwayne Jerret, who all play the same as Jeffrey (but more successful) and do very little in the NFL because of their difficulty separating.

You'll see, I'll bet money on it, they are the same every-time. Doesn't translate to the NFL well.

Jeffery is still a slow player, no mater how fast he runs his 40's. The reason I'm so adamant about this is because I've seen dominant players in College on my Favorite team, Mike Williams, Dwayne Jerret, who all play the same as Jeffrey (but more successful) and do very little in the NFL because of their difficulty separating.

You'll see, I'll bet money on it, they are the same every-time. Doesn't translate to the NFL well.

Same as Jeffery?

Go watch his sophomore season. He was incredible. He is not a slow player, he made a lot of yards after the catch that year.

Always liked Jeffery(and Stephon Gilmore) since the start of the season because I wanted to see SC deal with all the hype. I even did a mock where we took both in the first and second rounds pre Manning surgery

Are we the only ones that like Gilmore? I keep saying his game play is fast he closes in quick on receivers but needs work on press , but like i said not many like him i think he could be great with a little coaching.

Are we the only ones that like Gilmore? I keep saying his game play is fast he closes in quick on receivers but needs work on press , but like i said not many like him i think he could be great with a little coaching.

Same here. I think he would be a great addition to our secondary. He is a good tackling corner which is rare these days and his man to man is pretty good as well.

Same here. I think he would be a great addition to our secondary. He is a good tackling corner which is rare these days and his man to man is pretty good as well.

I won't say Gilmore is a bad corner, because he is not. But I see him giving cushions on his play, which i am frankly tired of seeing. I'd rather a J. Jenkins, Flemming or Heyward who have experience in that field of play be on our team.

Same as Jeffery?

Go watch his sophomore season. He was incredible. He is not a slow player, he made a lot of yards after the catch that year.

My biggest concern would be that, after he gets drafted and starts collecting his checks, he gets unmotivated, fat and lazy, and turns out to not be worth an early round pick. I'd rather go after someone who has a demonstrated fire in the belly.

My biggest concern would be that, after he gets drafted and starts collecting his checks, he gets unmotivated, fat and lazy, and turns out to not be worth an early round pick. I'd rather go after someone who has a demonstrated fire in the belly.

His coaches said he worked his tail of and was a model player. Perhaps there was another reason for the weight gain other than just being lazy. I think if he was a slacker, his coaches wouldn't be so quick to praise his work effort

His coaches said he worked his tail of and was a model player. Perhaps there was another reason for the weight gain other than just being lazy. I think if he was a slacker, his coaches wouldn't be so quick to praise his work effort

Meh. We'll see.

If his motivation is to be in the best condition possible to succeed as a receiver in the NFL, I would want him.

On the other hand, if the motivation is to get taken sooner in the draft, and to get paid, I'm not a fan.

I know very little about his coaches or even him, so you may well be right... I'm just hearing alarm bells in my head.

Meh. We'll see.

If his motivation is to be in the best condition possible to succeed as a receiver in the NFL, I would want him.

On the other hand, if the motivation is to get taken sooner in the draft, and to get paid, I'm not a fan.

I know very little about his coaches or even him, so you may well be right... I'm just hearing alarm bells in my head.

I agree completely with your assessment. The problem issue it's just hard to distinquish if players are out to really better themselves as a player or just in it for the money.

His good pro day doesn't hide the fact that his work ethic and attitude is disgusting and terrible. Jamarcus Russell had the greatest pro day ever, but terrible work ethic, so he bombed. I'd like to see how his interviews go. I still wouldn't want to pick Jeffrey.

His good pro day doesn't hide the fact that his work ethic and attitude is disgusting and terrible. Jamarcus Russell had the greatest pro day ever, but terrible work ethic, so he bombed. I'd like to see how his interviews go. I still wouldn't want to pick Jeffrey.

The problem is his coaches say just the opposite about his work ethic and attitude...I'm going to have to go with their word, especially when he's been showing it to be true in the NFL combine and his pro day. He seems to be taking this seriously and his stock has been going back up. It's fair to say he has worked his way back up into the 1st round if not the very beginning of the 2nd round. He's shown he can keep the weight off and actually took off even more weight after the combine.

The problem is his coaches say just the opposite about his work ethic and attitude...I'm going to have to go with their word, especially when he's been showing it to be true in the NFL combine and his pro day. He seems to be taking this seriously and his stock has been going back up. It's fair to say he has worked his way back up into the 1st round if not the very beginning of the 2nd round. He's shown he can keep the weight off and actually took off even more weight after the combine.

I would want to review his game tape. From the limited games I have seen on video, I do not see him separating from CBs. What I see is his very good leaping ability to catch the ball over defenders. What I want to see is more separation in the routes he runs.

I would want to review his game tape. From the limited games I have seen on video, I do not see him separating from CBs. What I see is his very good leaping ability to catch the ball over defenders. What I want to see is more separation in the routes he runs.

Some decent footage of him against ECU. Most of his 2011 season is on youtube from what I've seen so far.

Some decent footage of him against ECU. Most of his 2011 season is on youtube from what I've seen so far.

Thanks for the vid with ECU (middle of the pack CUSA). The first few misses demonstrate my point. Jeffery was well covered. Most of the other completions were of him sitting in between zone coverage, or in the middle of traffic. He did have one pretty out route and managed to keep one foot in bounds for the completion.

Alshon can catch, I give him that....but he runs sloopy routes and runs em slow.

In college when you over 6'2 you dont need to be fast to be a star. There is more space in College than the NFL. I mean, Jeffries could be successful, but given the history of players his type, i doubt it. Will see I guess, I for one, hope they don't draft him.

Alshon can catch, I give him that....but he runs sloopy routes and runs em slow.

In college when you over 6'2 you dont need to be fast to be a star. There is more space in College than the NFL. I mean, Jeffries could be successful, but given the history of players his type, i doubt it. Will see I guess, I for one, hope they don't draft him.

Mike Williams says Hello. :-)

Oh, he lost weight and ran a faster 40? Sign me up. This clearly means that getting overweight and playing slow are past him. I'm sure the price difference between late 1st and early to mid 3rd had nothing to do with it. I've never seen an Albert Haynesworth.... err... player work hard when there is money on the line and the schlep their way through the rest of it.

Sorry, did not realize you responded to me.

Alshon Jeffrey has all the stuff the fans want to see. Leaping ability, hands, height, but he doesn't have strength, routes are sloppy, and his speed is average at best. Throw in a questionable attitude and his overwhelming ego, and you got yourself one heck of a risky pick. He doesn't impress me, never did. He's also pretty overweight, although he is trying to work on it, but then again, so did Jamarcus Russell. Overall, he still has a lot of work and room to go, and I just don't think he's a good piece of the puzzle, and it's not worth spending a 2nd round pick on him.

In that video, he didn't impress me at all. That catch along the sideline at 2:00 would not have been a catch in the NFL. If I'm Alshon, I'm not happy with this tape, and if I'm an NFL scout, I don't like this tape either. These are mediocre CBs with Emanuel Davis (a 6-7th rounder) being their best CB. He and the other CBs were all over him throughout the game, and he was always covered. He used his great leaping ability to get the ball. That won't always work in the NFL, especially against guys like Cromartie who are just as big and faster than him.

I actually don't like Gilmore's tackling. Leads with his shoulder too much and doesn't really wrap enough for me. He's nice on the corner blitz though.

Way too much risk to take him with our 2nd. Seen way too many prospects slim down for combine/pro day only to put it back on months later when they play. His only real motivation right now is to paid.

Yep, NFL Network said he was 20 lbs "under" his playing weight during the season for his pro day. And was impressive.

But I agree, if dude doesn't have the self discipline to be at his best during his last season in college what will happen after he signs his first big "fat" contract?

I hope the Colts pass and let someone else take the risk.

Sorry, did not realize you responded to me.

Alshon Jeffrey has all the stuff the fans want to see. Leaping ability, hands, height, but he doesn't have strength, routes are sloppy, and his speed is average at best. Throw in a questionable attitude and his overwhelming ego, and you got yourself one heck of a risky pick. He doesn't impress me, never did. He's also pretty overweight, although he is trying to work on it, but then again, so did Jamarcus Russell. Overall, he still has a lot of work and room to go, and I just don't think he's a good piece of the puzzle, and it's not worth spending a 2nd round pick on him.

In that video, he didn't impress me at all. That catch along the sideline at 2:00 would not have been a catch in the NFL. If I'm Alshon, I'm not happy with this tape, and if I'm an NFL scout, I don't like this tape either. These are mediocre CBs with Emanuel Davis (a 6-7th rounder) being their best CB. He and the other CBs were all over him throughout the game, and he was always covered. He used his great leaping ability to get the ball. That won't always work in the NFL, especially against guys like Cromartie who are just as big and faster than him.

Cromartie is a couple inches shorter than Alshon Jeffery, and I'd say that Jeffery is a little underweight right now at 213 lbs. During his amazing 2010 season, he was listed at 6'4" 233 or 229 lbs. That's not overweight if he plays like he did because he was probably one of the best receiver in the nation that season and he didn't look slow to me. Calvin Johnson isn't overweight and he's 6' 5" 239 lbs.

Cromartie is a couple inches shorter than Alshon Jeffery, and I'd say that Jeffery is a little underweight right now at 213 lbs. During his amazing 2010 season, he was listed at 6'4" 233 or 229 lbs. That's not overweight if he plays like he did because he was probably one of the best receiver in the nation that season and he didn't look slow to me. Calvin Johnson isn't overweight and he's 6' 5" 239 lbs.

First off, Megatron is listed as 236, and Jefferey played at 230. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but 3 pounds is a difference. Jeffrey does not or ever did look fast on the field. His 40 time is slow, but some players look faster on the field. He isn't one of those guys. As a former receiver at a pretty high level, I can tell you that his route running (one of the most important traits of a WR) is sloppy and inconsistent. He'll be good on one or two routes, but look terrible on all the other ones. However, you can get better at that, but that requires devotion and time, something I don't think he has in him. Don't be comparing Megatron to Alshon Jeffrey. Megatron is super-athletic and is strong and powerful. Jeffrey is definitely not strong. Megatron beats press corners, Jeffrey does not. Megatron has better leaping ability and better hands. Megatron has also 4.4 speed. Jeffery may have ran a 4.47 at the pro day, but that was with a stopwatch so he essentially got early 4.5s. He's an athletic freak who is very strong, and muscle weighs more than fat. Jeffrey has more fat on his body than Megatron does.

I'll throw out this scenario. I'm a 290 pound couch potato and I'm standing next to Vince Wilfork. Who's the more athletic one? He is, even though he is bigger. He's another one. Dontari Poe vs Ta'amu. Poe has 15-18 pounds on Ta'amu, but he is much more athletic. You shouldn't just throw out the term overweight like that. Maybe you can say it on the 300+ pound guys, but not on Megatron or even Jeffrey for that matter.

First off, Megatron is listed as 236, and Jefferey played at 230. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but 3 pounds is a difference. Jeffrey does not or ever did look fast on the field. His 40 time is slow, but some players look faster on the field. He isn't one of those guys. As a former receiver at a pretty high level, I can tell you that his route running (one of the most important traits of a WR) is sloppy and inconsistent. He'll be good on one or two routes, but look terrible on all the other ones. However, you can get better at that, but that requires devotion and time, something I don't think he has in him. Don't be comparing Megatron to Alshon Jeffrey. Megatron is super-athletic and is strong and powerful. Jeffrey is definitely not strong. Megatron beats press corners, Jeffrey does not. Megatron has better leaping ability and better hands. Megatron has also 4.4 speed. Jeffery may have ran a 4.47 at the pro day, but that was with a stopwatch so he essentially got early 4.5s. He's an athletic freak who is very strong, and muscle weighs more than fat. Jeffrey has more fat on his body than Megatron does.

I'll throw out this scenario. I'm a 290 pound couch potato and I'm standing next to Vince Wilfork. Who's the more athletic one? He is, even though he is bigger. He's another one. Dontari Poe vs Ta'amu. Poe has 15-18 pounds on Ta'amu, but he is much more athletic. You shouldn't just throw out the term overweight like that. Maybe you can say it on the 300+ pound guys, but not on Megatron or even Jeffrey for that matter.

Alshon Jeffery shredded most of the SEC's and cornerbacks in 2010. He was an All-American over A.J. Green and Julio Jones. I don't know why you want to deny his dominant 2010 season. You act like all his 88 receptions, 1517 yards, and 9 touchdowns came on jump balls...

Alshon Jeffery shredded most of the SEC's and cornerbacks in 2010. He was an All-American over A.J. Green and Julio Jones. I don't know why you want to deny his dominant 2010 season. You act like all his 88 receptions, 1517 yards, and 9 touchdowns came on jump balls...

It was a good year, but it helps to have Stephen Garcia, who had a very good year, as your QB. Once Shaw took over, it was downhill from there. In 2010, Jones had a pretty good year from McElroy. McElroy was very good, but they didn't pass much (26 times a game), but Jones was still clearly superior to Jeffrey. Green had a good year considering he was SUSPENDED FOR 4 GAMES! He had a great year, but this last year wasn't that impressive.

This guy is a risky pick in our spot at the 2nd round

The rapid weight change should be a concern....... And DOEs show a personal discipline issue

(if the guy cant have it off for the combine, whats he going to do AFTER he gets a contract???)

"Yes Sir......... SUPERSIZE that Mcdouble meat, and extra FRIEs!"

There are many, better, and less risky selections ahead of him

I say......... Pass

If he is there at the start of round 5........... Maybe..........

It was a good year, but it helps to have Stephen Garcia, who had a very good year, as your QB. Once Shaw took over, it was downhill from there. In 2010, Jones had a pretty good year from McElroy. McElroy was very good, but they didn't pass much (26 times a game), but Jones was still clearly superior to Jeffrey. Green had a good year considering he was SUSPENDED FOR 4 GAMES! He had a great year, but this last year wasn't that impressive.

Alshon Jeffery was clearly the top receiver in the SEC in 2010. Julio Jones? Come on... he was not as dominant as Jeffery. Stephen Garcia vs. Greg McElroy? They are pretty even and McElroy is in the NFL right now. 26 passes a game is quite a bit as well.

If you want to compare teams, don't just use quarterbacks, considering that they are about the same anyways. What about offensive lines? Alabama usually has a very good O-line which gives quarterbacks more time to throw and receivers more time to run routes and get open.