Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lombardi's Assessment of Rivers

Moosejawcolt

I really enjoy listening to Lombardi's podcast, GM Shuffle. I find him to be very insightful and brutally honest. If u r interested, you can listen to his assessment of the Colt's qb situation at 28.40 mins  of the podcast. In short, he said Rivers is a statue and little arm strength. He is for Brissett and  says Reich has blinders on and has to be honest about Rivers. It is a very good listen and the Colts have little chance of beating top tier teams.

Reich wasnt honest about vinny last year and the language is the same.  "Hes a pro" "the least of my worries" etc. Personally I think he knows. 

Brissett is the same guy in a different package tho.  With a poorer understanding of the system.  Weve seen his peak.

Either ride or die with rivers (our best chance to win) or see what's what with Eason (our best chance for a higher draft pick).   Brissett is somewhere inbetween so unfortunately his contribution isnt in our best interest either way.  We definitely have the worst starting qb situation (assuming rivers cant get it together) in the division. 

Rivers bashing aside, I'm starting to feel a narrative brewing on the forum that Reich is the real problem.  Every season, the forum piles on somebody.  Looks like it might be Reich's year.

But the $25M price was always a head scratcher to me.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I said too early to tell. The way people react after a loss is comical. We won at Chicago, they are a good team at 4-1. Bucs/Brady even lost to them.

It's not about this one loss, i was one of the few that were against getting rivers in the off-season. Even in our victories rivers was just bad, he is looking old and tired. He is playing worse than I thought he would, and I didn't even want him in Indy, nice guy, but right now,just not the QB we need leading the colts. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Rivers bashing aside, I'm starting to feel a narrative brewing on the forum that Reich is the real problem.  Every season, the forum piles on somebody.  Looks like it might be Reich's year.

It is just a 1 year deal so signing Rivers to 25 mill doesn't even hurt us. If he truly ends up stinking then we move on. I won't pile on Reich unless we miss the playoffs this year because we have a playoff roster.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

What bothers me most about Reich (bothered me about Pagano too)  is the soft language in pressers.  "Credit the other team", "outplayed in all three phases", "outcoached", "they get paid too", and the absolutely maddening (not john) "it's hard to win in the nfl".  These are the touchstones of a soft organization imo.  When losing is excused it becomes acceptable and accountibility drops........

Just once say we're all thinking....."distgusted", "absolutely cannot happen in that situation" "da#nit donald", anything!

Whew, rant over sorry folks.....I think reich is a good to great coach and the whole organization was set back 5 to 10 years when andrew called it quits.  Gotta play with what u got tho.

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yup. I understand Reich protecting his players, but he is bordering on stubbornness and stupidity by some of his comments.  P.S that being said, I like Reich

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is just a 1 year deal so signing Rivers to 25 mill doesn't even hurt us. If he truly ends up stinking then we move on. I won't pile on Reich unless we miss the playoffs this year because we have a playoff roster.

We wont make the playoffs. Have u seen our schedule.  How do u think Rivers is going to fair against some of these fronts he is going to see? A sitting duck.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

We wont make the playoffs. Have u seen our schedule.  How do u think Rivers is going to fair against some of these fronts he is going to see? A sitting duck.

The Texans aren't near as good as most people thought they would be (we could sweep them) and I honestly think we win our next 2 games vs Cincy and Detroit. If we get to 5-2 we will make it in IMO. Remember even 7 teams get in this year. Jags aren't sweeping us either, we will beat them too. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Texans aren't near as good as most people thought they would be (we could sweep them) and I honestly think we win our next 2 games vs Cincy and Detroit. If we get to 5-2 we will make it in IMO. Remember even 7 teams get in this year. Jags aren't sweeping us either, we will beat them too. 

This team is not good enough to make any noise. One and done with Rivers and back to finding a qb next year.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we still have a reasonable chance at the playoffs, but we really need to win the division.

AFC wild card is gonna be a tight race, even with 3 spots.  AFC North has PIT, BAL, and CLE all looking like playoff teams.  Then there's LV and NE to worry about as wild cards as well.

We have to find away to beat out TEN for the division.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This team is not good enough to make any noise. One and done with Rivers and back to finding a qb next year.

We really only have two issues on offense. Fix the red zone and the run game.  If we fix the red zone issue a mistake here or there won’t cost us a game. Not saying we will fix it but it seems those should be easiest to fix.

3 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

I think we still have a reasonable chance at the playoffs, but we really need to win the division.

AFC wild card is gonna be a tight race, even with 3 spots.  AFC North has PIT, BAL, and CLE all looking like playoff teams.  Then there's LV and NE to worry about as wild cards as well.

We have to find away to beat out TEN for the division.

The AFC is going to be tough to win a playoff spot this year.  Almost seems like we don’t have a chance already when looking at all those teams.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We really only have two issues on offense. Fix the red zone and the run game.  If we fix the red zone issue a mistake here or there won’t cost us a game. Not saying we will fix it but it seems those should be easiest to fix.

Hard to fix if the qb is the reason for the problem

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hard to fix if the qb is the reason for the problem

I would be more concerned if we weren’t even moving the ball. We have barely punted this year so we are moving the ball pretty good. We seem to be getting stuck and settling for FG. To me we are lacking creativity and the play calling has been bad. Not saying I am not worried but not as worried as I would be if we weren’t moving the ball.

9 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Still think WR is the biggest weakness right now, which we knew going into the season, even before the injuries.

QB play needs to improve, and I think it will.

Campbell and Pittman are hurt. It's not like we didn't try to address WR

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would be more concerned if we weren’t even moving the ball. We have barely punted this year so we are moving the ball pretty good. We seem to be getting stuck and settling for FG. To me we are lacking creativity and the play calling has been bad. Not saying I am not worried but not as worried as I would be if we weren’t moving the ball.

The red zone is what is killing us. We need 7's instead of 3's.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The AFC is going to be tough to win a playoff spot this year.  Almost seems like we don’t have a chance already when looking at all those teams.

Will be interesting  to see if we lose to Baltimore  abd the Steelers 

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we get to 5-2 we will make it in IMO. Remember even 7 teams get in this year. Jags aren't sweeping us either, we will beat them too. 

I agree with the above

Sunday's game was disappointing to say the least and I think its pretty clear, barring some unforeseen rebirth that Rivers is not going to push this team to the upper echelon in the league as his 25 mil contract may have hoped for.  Best case scenario for the squad IMO this year is winning a Wild Card round playoff game.  

That being said, it is important to keep some perspective here. I still think overall the team (especially defensively) is better than they were a year ago.  

Also, many may not agree with this, but this narrative coming down the past few days that Rivers is completely inept is a bit overstated.  The guy has lost some fastball, but has enough experience and acumen to still be more effective and get more out of the passing game than we did with Brissett.  For Lombardi to suggest Brissett is a better option makes me wonder what game film he was watching on Jacoby last year and from 2017. 

While throwing INTs is not ideal, the QB that throws them is not completely useless.  Things like moving through progressions too slow, coming late with a throw into an open window, inaccurate throws to open receivers, eating sacks and bailing on the pocket too early may look less jarring on the stat sheet or highlight package, but can be more restricting to an offense being effective. 

I may be wrong about this, but I haven't seen too many examples of Rivers doing the latter things.  His biggest problem has been the INTs which have occurred IMO due to a combination of decreased arm strength, forcing throws when pressured and trying to make a play when playing from behind.  Not saying the guy is perfect, but these are his limitations.  I think when we play from the lead, have some defensive control exerted in the game and have a more effective running game, they can be covered up better  

52 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Reich wasnt honest about vinny last year and the language is the same.  "Hes a pro" "the least of my worries" etc. Personally I think he knows. 

Brissett is the same guy in a different package tho.  With a poorer understanding of the system.  Weve seen his peak.

Either ride or die with rivers (our best chance to win) or see what's what with Eason (our best chance for a higher draft pick).   Brissett is somewhere inbetween so unfortunately his contribution isnt in our best interest either way.  We definitely have the worst starting qb situation (assuming rivers cant get it together) in the division. 

I think at some point, we need to accept the fact, we may have the worst QB situation in the league. 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

That stretch after the lions game is going to be hard. Let’s hope they have figured this run game and red zone out by then. People always forget Reich and Nick got fired when coaching Rivers.

We basically need to win the games we are supposed to at this point like Cincy, Detroit, and the Jags 2nd time around for example. Sweep the Texans and get 1 signature win like vs the Ravens or Steelers to definitely get in. I don't see the Titans sweeping us, so that will probably even be 1-1.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So what.  Teams and the way they now play defence allow u to get to the redzone. That is where u make your money and the Colts have been horrible.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I said too early to tell. The way people react after a loss is comical. We won at Chicago, they are a good team at 4-1. Bucs/Brady even lost to them.

I don’t disagree that many sports fans have hysterical overreactions to losses.  Fire the coach! Fire the GM! Bench this guy or that guy!  And, yes, it is comical.

But Lombardi is still probably right about Rivers being too immobile and having too little arm strength left to be a good, let alone great, NFL quarterback.

The fact that we’ve won 3 games, including 2 against quality opponents, doesn’t necessarily negate that, ya know.  Football is the ultimate team sport and Rivers has yet to have had what I’d call a really good game.

We’d have won the game Sunday with average QB play.  But not with below average QB play, which is what we got.

Michael Lombardi should always be taken with a dump trunk of salt.....

Keep in mind - 

1) In 2017 he said Pederson was the least qualified coach he'd ever seen. Pederson won the SB later that year.

2) Lombardi himself was fired after only one year as GM of the lowly Browns...... He's far from a genius himself. 

I find it funny he named his podcast GM shuffle. He and his co host have a total of one whole year of GMing between them... Virk was fired from ESPN for being a leaker lol.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in mind - 

1) In 2017 he said Pederson was the least qualified coach he'd ever seen. Pederson won the SB later that year.

2) Lombardi himself was fired after only one year as GM of the lowly Browns...... He's far from a genius himself. 

I find it funny he named his podcast GM shuffle. He and his co host have a total of one whole year of GMing between them... Virk was fired from ESPN for being a leaker lol.

Everyone has good and bad. What I like about him as thay he is honest and freely admits it when he is wrong. When u listen to his podcasts, you do come away thinking he is intelligent. The one thing I totally agree with him on is this. Whether it be a gm or coach, the most difficult thing they have a hard time with is admitting when they have made a mistake and and failure to move on.

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in mind - 

Difference is we can all see what he is seeing. 

15 minutes ago, AlanNC said:

Rivers has had two bad games in a row.  The podcast is correct about his arm strength and we all see he is slow and can’t escape a pass rusher.  He never took some good San Diego to the promise land so how could he start now?  

Well, I was pretty happy when we signed him. Because I was (and still am) pretty convinced that Brissett isn’t the answer we’re looking for.  He was acquired to fill in for Luck temporarily, which he did pretty well.

And the fact is: we’ve got a pretty solid team most other places.

I wasn’t worried about Rivers never getting the Chargers to the SB.  And it’s not as if I expected that adding him would necessarily get us there.

But I was encouraged by Reich and Ballard having positive impressions from his workouts.  Five games into his first season here, I’m left wondering just what it is they saw that made them pull the trigger.

Archived