Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sanchez has not had a touchback in almost 60 punts

CR91

Yes we have been blessed having Boomstick and then Rigo. 

While Pat is missed because he was more than a punter. He was a football player with a fun personality. 

Pat had character for sure and still does on his show. 

Rigo no doubt eases any worries about the talent level being less. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes we have been blessed having Boomstick and then Rigo. 

While Pat is missed because he was more than a punter. He was a football player with a fun personality. 

Pat had character for sure and still does on his show. 

Rigo no doubt eases any worries about the talent level being less. 

imagine pat on this team. what a locker room. its sad Grigs had to suck the life of football out of everyone. 

21 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Some of my favorites (besides Pat)were Rohn Stark, David Lee, Hunter Smith, and Chris Gardocki. Especially Stark and Lee.... both were Colts for 12 years i believe.

Wasnt it Hunter “the punter” Smith that ran downDeion Sanders?

Yeah that play happened right after Sanders said if makes eye contact with the punter he would be scoring a TD. 

I'm not sure about the eye contact but Hunter did drag him down. 

Sanders was seen afterwards barfing on the sideline. 

24 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

imagine pat on this team. what a locker room. its sad Grigs had to suck the life of football out of everyone. 

Yeah Pat disliked Grigson but he would have retired regardless of Grigson.

I think he has had 4 surgeries on his knees. I know he had three in four years while he was a Colt. 

He said there were times he couldn't even walk without heavy meds. (that also played a part) 

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah Pat disliked Grigson but he would have retired regardless of Grigson.

I think he has had 4 surgeries on his knees. I know he had three in four years while he was a Colt. 

He said there were times he couldn't even walk without heavy meds. (that also played a part) 

yeah, some people can play through pain. But imagine being in pain, plus hating your boss. Makes the decision a little easier. If Pat punted for a couple more years he would have been considered as one of the goats imo. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah, some people can play through pain. But imagine being in pain, plus hating your boss. Makes the decision a little easier. If Pat punted for a couple more years he would have been considered as one of the goats imo. 

Well IMO I think most Colt fans and those who follow his show have a very high opinion of him being one of the greats.

He is listed in the top ten in every site I looked at. IMO his talent was not overlooked when you share company with guys like Ray Guy, Yale Lary, Shane Lechler and Sammy Baugh. 

Honestly had he played a couple of more years I'm not too sure he would have been considered above those guys. 

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yep, interesting story too. Deion had bragged the day before the game that, during a runback, once he saw the punter, it was gonna be a TD. And Hunter was a rookie that year. Here's a write-up about it:

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-com-flashback-hunter-smith-7589735

A snippet from the article:

Despite being told by former Colts coach Jim Mora to punt the ball out of bounds and away from Cowboys return man Deion Sanders, Smith 'mis-hit' the punt.  The ball went to Sanders, who eluded 10 members of the coverage unit.  It was up to Smith to make the touchdown-saving tackle on "Primetime."

"The interesting thing was before the game Deion had spoken to me on TV.  He said, 'I know who you are.  I know your whole family is going to be at the game.'  It was funny.  He was in Dallas.  My whole family's from Dallas.  I don't know if somehow he had looked me up or something, but he knew who I was.  He told me, 'If I can see the whites in your eyes, you'd better just close up shop.'  I saw him say it on TV in an interview because he was real hot that year with returning punts.  I was maybe a little bit intimidated," Smith said.

"I don't think he thought he could possibly be caught.  When I tackled him, we hit the ground…I remember this, it is an interesting little tidbit and I don't take too much credit for it, but I do think it's worth mentioning…we hit the ground really, really hard.  If you watch the YouTube video of that, I grabbed him and I landed on him and I slammed him pretty hard.  I was a young guy, and I was quite a bit bigger than him.  I've not taken credit for this but I will say this, the rest of that game Terrence Wilkins and Marvin Harrison took him to the cleaners.  I'm not saying anything, but it very well could have been the tackle that won the game for us (laughing)."

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Some of my favorites (besides Pat)were Rohn Stark, David Lee, Hunter Smith, and Chris Gardocki. Especially Stark and Lee.... both were Colts for 12 years i believe.

When I was in 2nd grade, I sent letters to every Colt player asking for autographs... Gardocki, Cary Blanchard, Q. Coryatt and Jim Harbaugh were the only 4 who replied.. Gardocki was awesome.

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

Yep, interesting story too. Deion had bragged the day before the game that, during a runback, once he saw the punter, it was gonna be a TD. And Hunter was a rookie that year. Here's a write-up about it:

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-com-flashback-hunter-smith-7589735

A snippet from the article:

Despite being told by former Colts coach Jim Mora to punt the ball out of bounds and away from Cowboys return man Deion Sanders, Smith 'mis-hit' the punt.  The ball went to Sanders, who eluded 10 members of the coverage unit.  It was up to Smith to make the touchdown-saving tackle on "Primetime."

"The interesting thing was before the game Deion had spoken to me on TV.  He said, 'I know who you are.  I know your whole family is going to be at the game.'  It was funny.  He was in Dallas.  My whole family's from Dallas.  I don't know if somehow he had looked me up or something, but he knew who I was.  He told me, 'If I can see the whites in your eyes, you'd better just close up shop.'  I saw him say it on TV in an interview because he was real hot that year with returning punts.  I was maybe a little bit intimidated," Smith said.

"I don't think he thought he could possibly be caught.  When I tackled him, we hit the ground…I remember this, it is an interesting little tidbit and I don't take too much credit for it, but I do think it's worth mentioning…we hit the ground really, really hard.  If you watch the YouTube video of that, I grabbed him and I landed on him and I slammed him pretty hard.  I was a young guy, and I was quite a bit bigger than him.  I've not taken credit for this but I will say this, the rest of that game Terrence Wilkins and Marvin Harrison took him to the cleaners.  I'm not saying anything, but it very well could have been the tackle that won the game for us (laughing)."

deion remembers this play just as well as hunter, people bring up it to him all the time 

pretty funny lol 

8 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Pat was annoying when he was a Colt and even more annoying now.  Great player but for some reason he rubbed me the wrong way. I get why people like him so he obviously built a good name for himself

One can be annoying as long as they are great and Pat was great. If he stunk that would be a different story.

Rigo is a stud and now we have the defense that can take advantage of the good field positions he gives us.  We haven't faced a high-powered offense yet to give our defense an actual test.  But at least it's not like usual where we make bad offenses look like the Cheifs (The Jags game was a fluke lol)

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One can be annoying as long as they are great and Pat was great. If he stunk that would be a different story.

Even if he stunk he could still act like it and I would understand. I get that a lot of people liked his personality and it seems to have helped create a career after football for him. I’m not sure why I find him annoying bc I usually like that stuff. Probably bc he was kicker lol. 

22 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

When I was in 2nd grade, I sent letters to every Colt player asking for autographs... Gardocki, Cary Blanchard, Q. Coryatt and Jim Harbaugh were the only 4 who replied.. Gardocki was awesome.

I remember gardocki’s wife having a great personality too.  A fan fave at the time. 

2 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Rigo is a stud and now we have the defense that can take advantage of the good field positions he gives us.  We haven't faced a high-powered offense yet to give our defense an actual test.  But at least it's not like usual where we make bad offenses look like the Cheifs (The Jags game was a fluke lol)

I still think we were way too overconfident for that game.

33 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I still think we were way too overconfident for that game.

If this seasons finishes out, that game is going to hurt us.  Titans have their own problems right now with COVID, but they were 3-0 and looked like they were picking up where they had left off last year.

7 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

they were 3-0 and looked like they were picking up where they had left off last year.

I disagree. They're undefeated so far, true, but their first 3 opponents are a combined 2-8 and the Titans have won those 3 games by a total of 6 points. That's not particularly impressive. 

On 10/4/2020 at 1:01 PM, Dogg63 said:

I disagree. They're undefeated so far, true, but their first 3 opponents are a combined 2-8 and the Titans have won those 3 games by a total of 6 points. That's not particularly impressive. 

Welp, look like they have bigger problems now. lol

Archived