Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster moves 9/22/20 / Hentges returns (MERGED)

Dogg63

Roster Moves:

S Ibraheim Campbell & CB Tremon Smith... Elevated To Active Roster;

WR Parris Campbell & S Malik Hooker... Placed On IR;

TE Hale Hentges & TE Ethan Wolf... Signed To Practice Squad

and released TE Charlie Taumoepeau from the practice squad.

https://www.colts.com/news/ibraheim-campbell-tremon-smith-parris-campbell-malik-hooker-roster-moves

Glad to see Hentges back in the fold. He was to be Doyle's replacement before they resigned Jack. Kid can really block and had surprisingly good hands. Proved that at the Redskins

With Paris lost for the season, DeMichael Harris should be considered to play the slot. DeMichael Harris has sprinter speed and his college highlights is filled with elusiveness. His field speed is amazing. 

I wouldn't necessarily call Hentges "Doyle's replacement". Kid was a UDFA from Alabama who looked decent in TC and preseason last year who we ended up cutting. I doubt they bring another WR to the active roster right now, they had 7 going into the last game and i believe the squad we have now is more then capable. If we are just trying to fill the slot role then i believe TY should take that role back or let Hines take over the gimmick stuff Campbell was to be doing.  

Some brief info on Ethan Wolf via a BR 2018 Draft article:

POSITIVES

—Good size and above-average athlete (6'6", 258 pounds).

—Four-year starter for Tennessee.

—Can high-point the football and scoop shoelace balls.

—Tracks the ball and makes body adjustments for a big tight end.

—Good strike and arm extension in blocking.

NEGATIVES

—Inconsistent play blocking and route running.

—Needs to use his size more to his advantage, as he plays smaller than he is.

—Defenders separate ball from him over the middle.

—Lacks burst out of breaks.

—Limited route tree at Tennessee. Worked the flats or hit the seam.

OVERALL

Wolf is a good prospect who hasn't established himself in the draft process. He was a four-year starter at Tennessee, but he never broke out or wowed scouts with what he could do on the field. While he has late-round potential, he'll need to play to his strengths in camp.

GRADE: 5.00 (Priority Free Agent)

PRO PLAYER COMPARISON: Troy Niklas, New England Patriots

• Shive changed the title to Roster moves 9/22/20 / Hentges returns (MERGED)
41 minutes ago, twfish said:

I wouldn't necessarily call Hentges "Doyle's replacement". Kid was a UDFA from Alabama who looked decent in TC and preseason last year who we ended up cutting. I doubt they bring another WR to the active roster right now, they had 7 going into the last game and i believe the squad we have now is more then capable. If we are just trying to fill the slot role then i believe TY should take that role back or let Hines take over the gimmick stuff Campbell was to be doing.  

Doyle was an UDFA by the Titans and waiver wire claim by the Colts before blossoming into the Doyle we know. There is no reason Hentges can't do the same.

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Doyle was an UDFA by the Titans and waiver wire claim by the Colts before blossoming into the Doyle we know. There is no reason Hentges can't do the same.

While I 100% agree, the op was making it sound like he was brought in for insurance if Doyle wasnt resigned which is simply not true. You don't take a shot at a complete unknown UDFA who hasn't played a snap to replace a Pro Bowler regardless of how he got to the point he is now.

29 minutes ago, twfish said:

While I 100% agree, the op was making it sound like he was brought in for insurance if Doyle wasnt resigned which is simply not true. You don't take a shot at a complete unknown UDFA who hasn't played a snap to replace a Pro Bowler regardless of how he got to the point he is now.

I understand your stance, however, he did catch 8 balls for 103 yards and a TD for the Redskins last season after making our opening day 53-man roster. He was usually pretty strongly compared to Doyle last year and still could be a viable in-line blocker with good hands and can run the underneath routes.

We shall see though.

I.R. is a 3 week thing this season dont forget so getting placed there doesnt mean much.  

7 TE's, Noah played a ton last week 51% of the snaps, mainly blocking and as a decoy. I'm thinking bringing more in may mean Burton isnt coming back as soon as we hoped and thought.  If Hentes can hold off Wolfe and pass F Green and than catch Noah possible #2 role down the line.  3 big IF'S but not impossible.

Archived