Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Cutdown - Sept 5

EastStreet

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

They won't trade Walker or Mack. It takes several years of good drafting to make a position a strength on your roster. Once you get to that point, you don't trade away your most proven players at those positions, you use them to help your team win games. 

I don't think they will either...it doesn't make sense. But I also don't get those trades make sense from the other team's side...at least in term of what they are giving up. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

They won't trade Walker or Mack. It takes several years of good drafting to make a position a strength on your roster. Once you get to that point, you don't trade away your most proven players at those positions, you use them to help your team win games. 

Hey Supe...do me a favor and see if you can edit my quote part to get rid of that image. I have no idea why that pasted on there.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Eason isn't going anywhere unprotected.....well, football wise.  Even if the Colts don't remotely need three QBs on the roster, Eason will be the third QB on the roster.

I think you're correct.  That's why I said in a past post that it's not really going to be a fair competition between him and Kelly.  Meaning, that with no preseason games to see what Eason can do in a real situation, they have to evaluate him on practice and his college tape.

Kelly has been released previously and put back on the PS and the team.  It's probably a pretty safe bet that they could do it again.  Not sure about Eason.  If he gets released, someone is going to snap him up.

IMO, from what I saw in the college tape, Kelly was the better QB.  Of course, that doesn't always translate to the pros.

59 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I believe we had 6 total for the start of the season last year correct? So realistically we're looking at two spots being up for grabs. 

If 6 is the number then I think Fountain and Johnson have the inside track.  

I also think Nix stays.  He's a lead blocker, and both Mack and Taylor tend to run between the tackles, and I would think would benefit from a true lead blocker rather than a part timer who also plays TE..  I think Nix provides something that Wilkins or Hines doesn't, both of whom are somewhat redundant behind mack and Taylor when running the ball, so Hines takes a WR spot and Wilkins stays only if Nix stinks it up.  JMO. 

10 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Technically, it would be 5.  

But I disagree.  Nix takes a TE spot so we carry 3, Hines takes a WR spot so we carry 5, and with Mack probably gone next season, why wouldn’t we keep the all time Colts leader in YPC?  

Just MHO!

They're not listing nix as a TE and hines is not a WR I only see 3 runningbacks being on the roster plus the fullback

7 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Is Burton even practicing? I have yet to hear anything about him in camp...unless I just missed it. I would say there's a chance he doesn't even make the team if he's not healthy and showing out. They rolled the dice on him because of the familiarity...but let's not forget that CHI had released him even though they didn't really save any money...and then went on to spend more money (and draft capital) to bring in a dozen other TEs...including a broken down Jimmy Graham.

Suffice to say...I will be pleasantly surprised at whatever they get out of Burton this year...I think there's a decent chance he's toast...but I hope that's not the case.

I'm not sure either about him, but I have heard a few things about him being out there. Walker (Colt's MB) mentioned he was out there practicing. I know he took a maintenance day earlier in the week.

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. The market for RBs just isn't what it used to be. And I don't think we'd trade Mack for what we'd get for him. And not sure we'd get anything for Wilkins to be honest. With FAs like Freeman and Hyde still available (unless they got picked up recently), I just don't see a return. 

I'm also not sure we'd keep both Burton and Nix. Burton is a TE, but he's a short TE with a FB profile. I just can't see us easily keeping both. I do think Wilkins is expendable with both Mack and Taylor, but I also think Mack will be gone next year, and Wilkins would make a good #2 for Taylor. 

IDK. 

Burton is short.... But he's hardly filling the role of H back or fullback.  Burton will be playing what Ebron did last few years....NOT what Doyle or M.A.C. do....

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

They're not listing nix as a TE and hines is not a WR I only see 3 runningbacks being on the roster plus the fullback

No, you’re not following.  If they keep Nix (FB), they don’t need 4 TEs.  They normally would use a TE as a blocking back.  Not needed with Nix.

Hines is mainly a 3rd down back who’s forte is receiving.  So they only need to carry 5 WRs.  

As I said, I think they keep Wilkins because he’s a great backup that we’ll need next year when Mack leaves. 

So, technically they’ll have 5 RBs on the roster but won’t sacrifice or weaken any other positions.

Again, just my opinion.   

4 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Burton is short.... But he's hardly filling the role of H back or fullback.  Burton will be playing what Ebron did last few years....NOT what Doyle or M.A.C. do....

Burton played H back and TE in college (UF). He even played a little QB and WR. He is absolutely a guy that can be used for things outside of the TE spectrum. He even carried the ball as a FB some his first year with the Eagles. He didn't change his number from an H-back number until year 3 in the NFL.

He's more bully slot than TE with his size. I don't view him as a well rounded H-back, but I don't see him as a well rounded TE either. He's a hybrid. He's not a great runner but probably delivers more of a blow than a typical RB. He's got decent hands, but his size is smaller than a typical TE yet slower than WRs his height.

I wouldn't compare him to Ebron at all. Ebron was more athletic, taller, jumps better, and has much longer arms and bigger hands. Burton may be a productive receiver, but he doesn't bring the same profile and bag of tricks that Ebron did.

Regardless, not all that excited about him. He had one decent year with a sub par QB who lacked good WRs. I'm sure Rivers can use him, but not sure he really checks the prototypical TE boxes.

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No, you’re not following.  If they keep Nix (FB), they don’t need 4 TEs.  They normally would use a TE as a blocking back.  Not needed with Nix.

Hines is mainly a 3rd down back who’s forte is receiving.  So they only need to carry 5 WRs.  

As I said, I think they keep Wilkins because he’s a great backup that we’ll need next year when Mack leaves. 

So, technically they’ll have 5 RBs on the roster but won’t sacrifice or weaken any other positions.

Again, just my opinion.   

I understand what you saying but I don't see that happening with that many runningbacks especially with our d-line beefing up more

This year will be pretty easy because of the limited off-season, barring an injury here is your 53 and your PS:

Offense - 25

Rivers, Brissett, 

Mack, Taylor*, Hines, Wilkins

Nix

T.Y, Pittman*, Campbell, Pascal, Dulin, Fountain

Doyle, Cox, Burton

Castonzo, Clark

Nelson

Kelly, Eldrenkamp

Glowinski, Pinter*

Smith, O'Donnell*

Special Teams - 3

Rhodes

Sanchez

Blankenship*

Defense - 25

Hooker, Odum

Willis, Wilson

Rhodes, Rodgers*

Ya Sin, Carrie

Moore, Tramon Smith

Leonard, Speed

Walker, Okereke

Adams, Glasgow*

Houston, Turay

Buckner, Lewis

Stewart, Stallworth

Autry, Muhammad, Banogu

PuP

Day

Blackmon*

Practice Squad

Eason* - QB

Kelly - QB

Patmon* - WR

Green* - TE

Windsor* - DT

Patterson - C/G

Coleman* - DE

Green - DE

Porter - CB

Rutledge* - SS

The other 6 will come via other teams

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

This year will be pretty easy because of the limited off-season, barring an injury here is your 53 and your PS:

Offense - 25

Rivers, Brissett, 

Nix

Doyle, Cox, Burton

Castonzo, Clark

Nelson

Kelly, Eldrenkamp

Glowinski, Pinter*

Smith, O'Donnell*

Special Teams - 3

Rhodes

Sanchez

Blankenship*

Defense - 25

Hooker, Odum

Willis, Wilson

Rhodes, Rodgers*

Ya Sin, Carrie

Moore, Tramon Smith

Leonard, Speed

Walker, Okereke

Adams, Glasgow*

Houston, Turay

Buckner, Lewis

Stewart, Stallworth

Autry, Muhammad, Banogu

PuP

Day

Blackmon*

Practice Squad

Eason* - QB

Kelly - QB

Patmon* - WR

Green* - TE

Windsor* - DT

Patterson - C/G

Coleman* - DE

Green - DE

Porter - CB

Rutledge* - SS

Eason will get claimed immediately off the practice squad. Ballard wouldn't put him on there.

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm basing that off of the protected status, unless I misread that piece about being able to protect 6 of your 16 guys every week?

I heard it's only partial protection and they can still claim those guys on Monday or Tuesday. Also think you can't protect the same guys every week on the practice squad and they will eventually be exposed. Just what I heard and don't have a link to it at this time though.

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I heard it's only partial protection and they can still claim those guys on Monday or Tuesday. Also think you can't protect the same guys every week on the practice squad and they will eventually be exposed. Just what I heard and don't have a link to it at this time though.

I've seen several articles talking about it, but here's one that's fairly straight forward.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/8/4/21353889/among-changes-to-practice-squad-rules-nfl-extends-weekly-deadline-for-teams-to-elevate-players

Along with the changes, four players can be protected at 4 PM Eastern on Tuesday through the end of your game that weekend. That keeps 57 players at minimum for you to work with between your 53-man roster and four-man protected practice squad. Once the game is over, those four protected players are unprotected until Tuesday.

12 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I understand what you saying but I don't see that happening with that many runningbacks especially with our d-line beefing up more

Well, my point was that even with carrying 5 RBs, we're really not taking away from any other positions.  But I guess I'm not being clear.  Whatever...

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Offense - 25

Rivers, Brissett, 

Nix

Doyle, Cox, Burton

Castonzo, Clark

Nelson

Kelly, Eldrenkamp

Glowinski, Pinter*

Smith, O'Donnell*

Special Teams - 3

Rhodes

Sanchez

Blankenship*

Defense - 25

Hooker, Odum

Willis, Wilson

Rhodes, Rodgers*

Ya Sin, Carrie

Moore, Tramon Smith

Leonard, Speed

Walker, Okereke

Adams, Glasgow*

Houston, Turay

Buckner, Lewis

Stewart, Stallworth

Autry, Muhammad, Banogu

PuP

Day

Blackmon*

Practice Squad

Eason* - QB

Kelly - QB

Patmon* - WR

Green* - TE

Windsor* - DT

Patterson - C/G

Coleman* - DE

Green - DE

Porter - CB

Rutledge* - SS

This is a good effort. But no way they cut Eason. Flip him onto the offensive group and drop Rodgers from the defensive group and you have a  realistic 53. I’m also in the camp where they cut Nix and add a fourth TE. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

This is a good effort. But no way they cut Eason. Flip him onto the offensive group and drop Rodgers from the defensive group and you have a  realistic 53. I’m also in the camp where they cut Nix and add a fourth TE. 

IDK.  They deliberately signed a lead blocking FB and very good one.  They did it to further improve the run game.  I don't see him getting cut.  We don't have long to wait to find out. 

45 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

IDK.  They deliberately signed a lead blocking FB and very good one.  They did it to further improve the run game.  I don't see him getting cut.  We don't have long to wait to find out. 

Nix is also heralded as a fantastic special teamer, which imo makes it even more likely we keep him around.

47 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I do get that. But from what I've read, Nix is a one trick pony. Not a ball carrier; not a pass catcher. With him in the game, its almost a dead giveaway that they are running the ball and giving it to the RB.  A TE at least gets you some versatility; put him in motion, and you don't know if he stays in to block or runs a pattern. If they can find a 4th TE who can block like a beast, you would hope he would beat out the great blocking, one dimensional FB. 

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Offense - 25

Rivers, Brissett, 

Nix

Doyle, Cox, Burton

Castonzo, Clark

Nelson

Kelly, Eldrenkamp

Glowinski, Pinter*

Smith, O'Donnell*

Special Teams - 3

Rhodes

Sanchez

Blankenship*

Defense - 25

Hooker, Odum

Willis, Wilson

Rhodes, Rodgers*

Ya Sin, Carrie

Moore, Tramon Smith

Leonard, Speed

Walker, Okereke

Adams, Glasgow*

Houston, Turay

Buckner, Lewis

Stewart, Stallworth

Autry, Muhammad, Banogu

PuP

Day

Blackmon*

Practice Squad

Eason* - QB

Kelly - QB

Patmon* - WR

Green* - TE

Windsor* - DT

Patterson - C/G

Coleman* - DE

Green - DE

Porter - CB

Rutledge* - SS

Coleman was cut days ago when signed one of new DBs and it was later reported he was working out for the Lions.

21 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Offense - 25

Rivers, Brissett, 

Nix

Doyle, Cox, Burton

Castonzo, Clark

Nelson

Kelly, Eldrenkamp

Glowinski, Pinter*

Smith, O'Donnell*

Special Teams - 3

Rhodes

Sanchez

Blankenship*

Defense - 25

Hooker, Odum

Willis, Wilson

Rhodes, Rodgers*

Ya Sin, Carrie

Moore, Tramon Smith

Leonard, Speed

Walker, Okereke

Adams, Glasgow*

Houston, Turay

Buckner, Lewis

Stewart, Stallworth

Autry, Muhammad, Banogu

PuP

Day

Blackmon*

Practice Squad

Eason* - QB

Kelly - QB

Patmon* - WR

Green* - TE

Windsor* - DT

Patterson - C/G

Coleman* - DE

Green - DE

Porter - CB

Rutledge* - SS

I confess I found a big head scratcher in your prediction....

Okereke as 2nd string behind Walker instead of 1st strong at the SOLB.

Then you have Adams as 1st string SOLB with Glasgow behind him.   I believe both of those players will be second string and stars on ST. 

Or did I misunderstand your meaning here?   Because otherwise I think you did a great job!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Then you have Adams as 1st string SOLB with Glasgow behind him.   I believe both of those players will be second string and stars on ST. 

Or did I misunderstand your meaning here?   Because otherwise I think you did a great job!

Purely my opinion

Will - Leonard/Speed

Mike - Walker/Oke (passing downs)

SAM - Oke/Franklin/ Adams OR Glasgow

I think with the improved pass rush, and Flus's hints about wanting to play more man, we could very likely see more 3 LB sets. Last year, we only used SAM around 15-20ish% of the time IIRC. I could see that change. If so, Oke would play less passing down Mike. I don't see us keeping Franklin + Adams + Glasgow. IMO, we only carry 6 LBs.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He plays passing downs as the Mike and SAM in base.....I was just trying to even up the rows for aesthetic purposes......lol

Archived