Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Speculation Is 5/ 95 Mill On Manning

jemack

From my understanding all of the teams that he had discussions with were given the same parameters. I'd take Manning at 18-19 a year before I would Alex Smith or Matt Flynn at 8 a year.

I feel bad for Alex Smith, dont you...?

He' s got to crawl back to SF and settle for a measly $8 mil..

From my understanding all of the teams that he had discussions with were given the same parameters. I'd take Manning at 18-19 a year before I would Alex Smith or Matt Flynn at 8 a year.

This is relavent. If you have the cap space of 40+ mill, go ahead. But it doesn't make it a reflection in the market value. I will say this, PM just did smith a favor because this deal will raise the market's curve.

This is relavent. If you have the cap space of 40+ mill, go ahead. But it doesn't make it a reflection in the market value. I will say this, PM just did smith a favor because this deal will raise the market's curve.

Of course you have to have the room to accommodate it, but you have a few factors to look at when comparing market value. His previous contract 5/90. Brady's contract 18 per year. Drew Brees is rumored to exceed 20 a year. Most every other QB will have a higher hit in 2012, than the did in 2011.

Condon is Brees, & Eli's agent among others and can pull the details of other deals. The only way it is overpaying is if he's not on par to what he was in 2010.

Yeah Smith is smiling at this point.

And how do we determine market value?. Please explain.

Brady and Peyton are "the" standard for QBs in the league, and they were both making $18 per year in their last contracts. Peyton was offered more last year - in a situation where only one team could sign him - but turned it down. Now he has a dozen teams competing for his services. If a team thinks that he is still himself, $19 per year makes perfect sense. If anything it is on the low side, and reflects (once again) Peyton wanting to leave a little money in the pot to attract other pieces. The interesting part will be how much is guaranteed, or what provisions are put in place to protect the Broncos in the event he is injured.

Brady and Peyton are "the" standard for QBs in the league, and they were both making $18 per year in their last contracts. Peyton was offered more last year - in a situation where only one team could sign him - but turned it down. Now he has a dozen teams competing for his services. If a team thinks that he is still himself, $19 per year makes perfect sense. If anything it is on the low side, and reflects (once again) Peyton wanting to leave a little money in the pot to attract other pieces. The interesting part will be how much is guaranteed, or what provisions are put in place to protect the Broncos in the event he is injured.

I have read in a place or two that Manning turned down 5/100 with 100% guaranteed. With the injury factoring in, they ended up at 5/90 with the protection of the option bonus.

From my understanding is that the contract will be protected from another injury to the neck.

A blown ACL, then he will still be paid.

Id take an average quarterback at 8 million a year to be honest, and build around him and make sure hes got a solid defense, Im not payin a 36 year old a potential 95 million over a max of 4 years, ya wanna be in cap heck go for it, hes the greatest colt qb of all time but Id roll with Orlovsky or Luck and a much better defense then we had last year before I went with a 36 quarterback who I dont even know cant take a few hits in a game, people wanna say hes healthy lets see him get hit by a Ray Lewis or a Mario Williams then Ill tell ya if hes healthy, deals like that is why were in cap heck to begin with

I have read in a place or two that Manning turned down 5/100 with 100% guaranteed. With the injury factoring in, they ended up at 5/90 with the protection of the option bonus.

From my understanding is that the contract will be protected from another injury to the neck.

A blown ACL, then he will still be paid.

Interesting, and makes a lot of sense. I hope that the people who are making the "he's just holding out for the most money" comments can grasp this.

well thats heresay at this point about the whole injury protection thing I never heard that from NFL Network maybe its true but I havent heard anything, as for him holding out for money all players do that Manning included hes no different, do I think that was the sole factor? No but deciding factor? well that could very well be a HUGE part of it I just hope it doesnt break the bank for the Broncos like it was a HUGE part in breaking ours, Id love to see Manning succeed over their but they need a couple more pieces to add to the team, another wide receiver couldnt hurt a veteran lineman would help, if mannings 100 percent he can make up for the line but better draft someone that will catch the ball outside of Decker which I am sure Elway is going to

well thats heresay at this point about the whole injury protection thing I never heard that from NFL Network maybe its true but I havent heard anything, as for him holding out for money all players do that Manning included hes no different, do I think that was the sole factor? No but deciding factor? well that could very well be a HUGE part of it I just hope it doesnt break the bank for the Broncos like it was a HUGE part in breaking ours, Id love to see Manning succeed over their but they need a couple more pieces to add to the team, another wide receiver couldnt hurt a veteran lineman would help, if mannings 100 percent he can make up for the line but better draft someone that will catch the ball outside of Decker which I am sure Elway is going to

It wasn't a competitive bidding process. All three teams were provided with the same general parameters, then Peyton picked the one that he wanted to play for today. The Broncos haven't even commented on the situation because the contract is being discussed as we speak - exclusively with the Broncos. If money was the tipping point, then he could have made his mind up in the middle of last week. And I suspect that the Titans wacky owner would have been the winner.

Id take an average quarterback at 8 million a year to be honest, and build around him and make sure hes got a solid defense,

Then you wouldn't be seeing your team win the Super Bowl.

Look at the last 10 years of Super Bowl winners. Just about all of them had top-tier QBs.

In today's NFL, if you don't have the top-tier QB, your odds of winning are FAR lower.

Its a QB driven league, like it or not.

A middle of the road QB just can't elevate a team in the playoffs.

Heck, as good as Peyton's been, even his production has been less than stellar in the playoffs.

You need "the guy" to be successful.

Defense just doesn't seem to "win championships" anymore.

NE and their lousy defense last year is a great example. Plus, all those teams with the "top" defenses fell by the wayside last year.

You have to score points.

If he really does get somewhere near a 5/95 deal I am going to be really upset. That means he IS ready to play and IS healthy!! Why didn't the Colts at least bring him back for 2 years? Why are the Colts trying to run an organization based on what happens 5 years from now? What about NEXT year? I get to watch a lot more lossing? Yepeeeeee!!!

If he really does get somewhere near a 5/95 deal I am going to be really upset. That means he IS ready to play and IS healthy!! Why didn't the Colts at least bring him back for 2 years? Why are the Colts trying to run an organization based on what happens 5 years from now? What about NEXT year? I get to watch a lot more lossing? Yepeeeeee!!!

This organization suffered almost for three decades straight. Irsay was thinking "ehhh what's another five years."

It's this sort of Edit that makes me cringe. The guy is a ruthless competitor and business man. You are getting duped by his SNL acting.

Edited by Coltssouth
Personal Attack

It's this sort of Edit that makes me cringe. The guy is a ruthless competitor and business man. You are getting duped by his SNL acting.

I'm not "getting duped" by anything. Ruthless competitors want to win, yes? Is your theory that he would take a $115 million dollar contract with the rest of the roster filled out by minimum wagers? That's nonsense. Did he not decline a contract last year and accept less money because he wanted certain players resigned. And wasn't Addaii resigned about 10 minutes later, followed quickly by more defensive free agents than we've seen in years? We were all pretty happy about it at the time. Why do you have to portray me as a mindless toady because I'm making a reasonable conjecture based on established fact.

I'm biting my tongue in choosing my words here - that's a pretty freaking rude comment.

Edited by Coltssouth
quoting above post

I'm not "getting duped" by anything. Ruthless competitors want to win, yes? Is your theory that he would take a $115 million dollar contract with the rest of the roster filled out by minimum wagers? That's nonsense. Did he not decline a contract last year and accept less money because he wanted certain players resigned. And wasn't Addaii resigned about 10 minutes later, followed quickly by more defensive free agents than we've seen in years? We were all pretty happy about it at the time. Why do you have to portray me as a mindless toady because I'm making a reasonable conjecture based on established fact.

I'm biting my tongue in choosing my words here - that's a pretty freaking rude comment.

For every post I've written in the past month, there would be 5 more that I've typed out and deleted. Typing it out helps with the frustration of dealing some of the ignorance that is running rapid.. Just don't click post.

Hey Colts fans, guess 'ole Indeee ( me ) was wrong about Peyton being all about the money huh.. Ha!!

Just because they are paying him that doesnt mean it was about the money. Peyton said up until the last week he was a colt, he felt he would remain in indy until he retired. Broncs wanna pay it, who are we to judge?