Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Twfish's mock offseason 1

In this offseason I am keeping a lot of our own players and signing a few free agents who I believe could impact us in a positive fashion. I am using Ballards strategy in drafting which would be drafting high ceiling players who may need some development.

Retain:

Josh Andrews

Anthony Castonzo

Le'reven Clark (Not a huge fan of his play but worthy of being a decent back up subject to cut depending on competition)

Joe Haeg

Devin Funchess/Dontrelle Inman (I'm only keeping one but it would be who the coaching staff likes more)

Jabaal Sheard

Daurice Fountain

Sign:

Hunter Henry

Javon Hargrave

Karl Joseph (since we aren't bringing back Geathers sign him to back/play alongside willis)

Draft:

The colts trade Quincy Wilson and our 3rd rounder for Derek Carr keeping us in contention right now. They may want our first but I'm banking on the fact that Mike Mayock really liked Wilson in the draft and is possibly a better scheme fit for them then us.

1st pick

Jordan Love QB Utah State

I am doubling down on QB here #1 Carr has had health issues  #2 I want Love to sit and develop for a year or 2 and I want us to continue to compete. Love has a higher ceiling then Carr does easily but if he sits and becomes a student of the game like Mahomes did then i think he could be incredible for us. Plus worst case scenario we have stayed competitive and have an above average QB for years to come.

1st 2nd rounder

Tee Higgins WR Clemson

With a class as stacked as it is at WR he will likely fall out of the first round, in a typical year i think he would be a top 15 draft pick.

2nd 2nd rounder

Matt Peart T Uconn

With AC already contemplating retirement I don't think we can rely on him heading into 2021, so draft his replacement who could realistically start this coming year. Add muscle and technique for a year and he can step right in without being a project. 

4th rounder

Jordan Elliot DT Missouri

This one maybe a bit of a stretch and he may climb after the combine. However he has prototypical size for the position but could develop into quite the player. Taking Hargrave is what will allow us to wait on DT in the draft.

We trade Jacoby Brissett for a 4th. At the end of the day he is still a top back up QB in the league and has shown he can win games in a pinch and worth a 4th IMO.

2nd 4th rounder

Collin Johnson WR/TE Texas

I think he could play bully slot for us while training and working towards being a TE, Essentially what Ebron was for us.

5th rounder

Dane Jackson CB Pitt

6th rounder

Patrick Taylor JR RB Memphis

A big powerback whos injury history may let him slide

7th rounder

James Pierre CB Florida Atlantic

Bring on the hate!!

• Like 3

Don’t hate it. But a few tweaks:

1. I love trading for Derek Carr and do believe that if we were to do that JB can’t be here. To much of a leader in the locker room. Could case fractures in the locker room to bring in someone and send him to the bench. 

2. If we draft Carr, there is no way we draft a QB high. 

3. At WR I prefer Jalen Reagor, Chase Claypool or Gamdy- Golden. Just personal preference. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, twfish said:

In this offseason I am keeping a lot of our own players and signing a few free agents who I believe could impact us in a positive fashion. I am using Ballards strategy in drafting which would be drafting high ceiling players who may need some development.

Retain:

Josh Andrews

Anthony Castonzo

Le'reven Clark (Not a huge fan of his play but worthy of being a decent back up subject to cut depending on competition)

Joe Haeg

Devin Funchess/Dontrelle Inman (I'm only keeping one but it would be who the coaching staff likes more)

Jabaal Sheard

Daurice Fountain

Sign:

Hunter Henry

Javon Hargrave

Karl Joseph (since we aren't bringing back Geathers sign him to back/play alongside willis)

Draft:

The colts trade Quincy Wilson and our 3rd rounder for Derek Carr keeping us in contention right now. They may want our first but I'm banking on the fact that Mike Mayock really liked Wilson in the draft and is possibly a better scheme fit for them then us.

1st pick

Jordan Love QB Utah State

I am doubling down on QB here #1 Carr has had health issues  #2 I want Love to sit and develop for a year or 2 and I want us to continue to compete. Love has a higher ceiling then Carr does easily but if he sits and becomes a student of the game like Mahomes did then i think he could be incredible for us. Plus worst case scenario we have stayed competitive and have an above average QB for years to come.

1st 2nd rounder

Tee Higgins WR Clemson

With a class as stacked as it is at WR he will likely fall out of the first round, in a typical year i think he would be a top 15 draft pick.

2nd 2nd rounder

Matt Peart T Uconn

With AC already contemplating retirement I don't think we can rely on him heading into 2021, so draft his replacement who could realistically start this coming year. Add muscle and technique for a year and he can step right in without being a project. 

4th rounder

Jordan Elliot DT Missouri

This one maybe a bit of a stretch and he may climb after the combine. However he has prototypical size for the position but could develop into quite the player. Taking Hargrave is what will allow us to wait on DT in the draft.

We trade Jacoby Brissett for a 4th. At the end of the day he is still a top back up QB in the league and has shown he can win games in a pinch and worth a 4th IMO.

2nd 4th rounder

Collin Johnson WR/TE Texas

I think he could play bully slot for us while training and working towards being a TE, Essentially what Ebron was for us.

5th rounder

Dane Jackson CB Pitt

6th rounder

Patrick Taylor JR RB Memphis

A big powerback whos injury history may let him slide

7th rounder

James Pierre CB Florida Atlantic

Bring on the hate!!

How can Love have a higher cieling than Carr when he has never played in the NFL? And I am not a Carr fan

Aren’t too many scenarios that could have the Raiders trading Carr and not drafting a QB...and that QB is probably the same guy we want...so we’ll need that 3rd to jump ahead of them.

Seems remote that rumors of Brady to the Raiders actually grow any legs

20 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Aren’t too many scenarios that could have the Raiders trading Carr and not drafting a QB...and that QB is probably the same guy we want...so we’ll need that 3rd to jump ahead of them.

I dont think Gruden will be drafting a QB. He despises rookie QB's and will want a guy like Brady or rivers

20 minutes ago, twfish said:

I dont think Gruden will be drafting a QB. He despises rookie QB's and will want a guy like Brady or rivers

Rivers certainly makes more sense...and I hope you’re right.  I like the Carr idea more than most...and really like Love...but in reality any move for Carr is a signal that Ballard isn’t ready to shoot his shot at QB in this class.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How can Love have a higher cieling than Carr when he has never played in the NFL? And I am not a Carr fan

A "ceiling" is a future projection of one's talent... If folks "think" he'll be better than Carr, than his ceiling is higher at this point.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

If Brady does go anywhere (I don't think he does), IMO it would be LA or LV. Interesting though that they were shopping for schools in Nashville. Can you imagine Brady a Titan lol... 

If they (LV) did get Brady, I'd be it was for 2-3 years, and IMO they'd wait a year to draft. I don't see Gruden going for Rivers though. I think he's run out of gas while I think Brady can live on brains even if he does start to run out of gas.  

I usually wouldn't think getting Carr would ever be accompanied with drafting a QB high because I feel like if you are trading for him it will need a significant asset and you don't pay significant assets for bridge QB, but if this is the price to get him(kind of doubt it, but let's say it happens for the sake of the exercise) and we can trade Jacoby for 4th too, then this would feel like more than just bridge acquisition(can help us raise the level of QB play) and at the same time cheap enough to not tie you up to Carr long term, which would make the drafting of a QB high a very understandable move. 

Other than that I like most of your acquisition and draft picks. I haven't watched much of Peart, but feels kind of high based on what I saw at the Senior bowl, I guess you can flip him and Elliot who I too suspect will rise up boards.

Overall good job. And nice to see a scenario I didn't think of possible.

Mayock may place some higher value on Quincy than most, good catch there, but it would still take more than pick 75 to get Carr.  And has been mentioned, Love may be the guy the Raiders trade Carr to pick, even if they do get a 43 year old Brady.

Good job explaining the JB situation after we get a QB, so receiving a 4th round pick in a trade seems reasonable, IMO.

Given our needs and the depth at WR this draft has.  I'd swap the talent level of the DTs and WRs you're showing, if you follow.  Secure the high-level DT at 34, then get the WRs with both 4ths.

10 hours ago, stitches said:

I usually wouldn't think getting Carr would ever be accompanied with drafting a QB high because I feel like if you are trading for him it will need a significant asset and you don't pay significant assets for bridge QB, but if this is the price to get him(kind of doubt it, but let's say it happens for the sake of the exercise) and we can trade Jacoby for 4th too, then this would feel like more than just bridge acquisition(can help us raise the level of QB play) and at the same time cheap enough to not tie you up to Carr long term, which would make the drafting of a QB high a very understandable move. 

Other than that I like most of your acquisition and draft picks. I haven't watched much of Peart, but feels kind of high based on what I saw at the Senior bowl, I guess you can flip him and Elliot who I too suspect will rise up boards.

Overall good job. And nice to see a scenario I didn't think of possible.

The price may be a little low for Carr. However IMHO you could swap Carr out for Dalton and end up with about the same result and likely without trading Wilson. I just hate to roll with Jacoby this year and essentially waste the team we have

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

The price may be a little low for Carr. However IMHO you could swap Carr out for Dalton and end up with about the same result and likely without trading Wilson. I just hate to roll with Jacoby this year and essentially waste the team we have

How do you feel about Rivers? I think I'm warming up more and more to the idea, especially if we can trade Jacoby for something like you did in this mock. I just posted an article by PFF about the possibility of the Colts acquiring Rivers. You can check it out if you want. 

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

How do you feel about Rivers? I think I'm warming up more and more to the idea, especially if we can trade Jacoby for something like you did in this mock. I just posted an article by PFF about the possibility of the Colts acquiring Rivers. You can check it out if you want. 

As long as we are drafting our future franchise QB this year I dont care between alot of possible choices this year. I would prefer Dalton over Rivers however because I think Rivers age is catching up with him, same with Brady. They were both surrounded with better offensive talent then ours so to say either one would be better than they were last year with us I find hard to beleive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twfish said:

As long as we are drafting our future franchise QB this year I dont care between alot of possible choices this year. I would prefer Dalton over Rivers however because I think Rivers age is catching up with him, same with Brady. They were both surrounded with better offensive talent then ours so to say either one would be better than they were last year with us I find hard to beleive.

I think it's catching up on him but I also think it's catching up on him in the precise ways that were magnified by the horrific OLine the Chargers fielded this season. I think Rivers actually would benefit more from the OLine we have than be hurt by our lesser weapons. BTW we still might get better weapons in FA and the draft too... and TY and Doyle if healthy are actually good players. 

21 hours ago, twfish said:

Sign:

Hunter Henry

Javon Hargrave

I think Hunter Henry is gonna be to pricey. What does everyone think about Tyler Efiert. Somewhat young and has definitely not reached his potential. Needs to stay healthy and could be had on the cheap. 

Not a fan of trading for Derek Carr at all. I know this goes against popular sentiment, but I think most people on this forum are being too hard on Jacoby. Especially if you believe Derek Carr is an alternative that would help us win.

Jacoby is not our QB of the future, but the only problem I had with him was his inaccuracy the second half of the season, but nobody is going to tell me that his MCL injury didn't have an impact on that. A QB's accuracy doesn't just change that drastically without cause.

Also many on here are all over Jacoby about his tendency to stare down receivers and not being able to move through progressions and find open receivers. This is a problem with half the quarterbacks in the league, and nobody is worse at this than Derek Carr. It is why most Raiders fans want him to be cut or traded.

I'm still doing draft evaluations and trying to figure out which QB is best for us. I don't think Jacoby is our franchise guy, but I think he is a better option than anybody we can get in free agency this year as long as his accuracy issues were a product of his injury.

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

Not a fan of trading for Derek Carr at all. I know this goes against popular sentiment, but I think most people on this forum are being too hard on Jacoby. Especially if you believe Derek Carr is an alternative that would help us win.

Jacoby is not our QB of the future, but the only problem I had with him was his inaccuracy the second half of the season, but nobody is going to tell me that his MCL injury didn't have an impact on that. A QB's accuracy doesn't just change that drastically without cause.

Also many on here are all over Jacoby about his tendency to stare down receivers and not being able to move through progressions and find open receivers. This is a problem with half the quarterbacks in the league, and nobody is worse at this than Derek Carr. It is why most Raiders fans want him to be cut or traded.

I'm still doing draft evaluations and trying to figure out which QB is best for us. I don't think Jacoby is our franchise guy, but I think he is a better option than anybody we can get in free agency this year as long as his accuracy issues were a product of his injury.

I think i changed my stance a tad and switched to Andy Dalton instead. How would you feel about him instead?

On 2/5/2020 at 9:20 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Same way Trevor Lawrence, or Fields,nor Borrows has a higher ceiling.....  It's potential that may or may not be fulfilled.  Carr is what he is, Love may never get to Carr's level ... But if he reaches his potential, there's a good chance he exceeds Carr by quite a bit.  The question is, Carr has a high floor.... So what's Loves floor?

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I think i changed my stance a tad and switched to Andy Dalton instead. How would you feel about him instead?

I'd like Dalton more than Carr. At least Dalton has the excuse of a horrible offensive line and losing his favorite target as a reason why he was so bad this year. We'd still have to pay him a high salary and I don't think he's going to take the team any further than Jacoby did this year.

I honestly think keeping Jacoby, spending our cap space on other positions, and drafting a quarterback high is the best option. 

6 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Same way Trevor Lawrence, or Fields,nor Borrows has a higher ceiling.....  It's potential that may or may not be fulfilled.  Carr is what he is, Love may never get to Carr's level ... But if he reaches his potential, there's a good chance he exceeds Carr by quite a bit.  The question is, Carr has a high floor.... So what's Loves floor?

U say if Love reaches his potential.  What exactly is his potential?  A guy with a cannon arm, mobility and who turns the ball over.  One thing we have learned bout college qbs.  If they turn the ball over in colege, it only increases in the pros. Much like a guy who is inaccurate in college. It doesnt get better in the pros where the talent is better. I dont get into the whole ceiling thing.