Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Overall Need: Poll Round 1 (please read OP)

EastStreet

Colts Overall Need: Poll Round 1 (please read OP)  

70 members have voted

1. 1. #1 Overall Team Need

• Quarterback
    • Interior Defensive Line (iDL)
  2. 2. Bonus Question 1 - For iDL, do you want a 3T/DT or NT

3. 3. Bonus Question 2 - For QB, what is your preferred means of attaining one

• Draft (and move up)
    • Draft with 13
    • Draft with 34
    • Draft later than 34
    • Get one via FA

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2020 at 01:00 AM

Taking the results from the Offensive and Defensive Polls earlier (results below), and doing a few rounds to come up with an overall rank of team needs. I've taken the top vote getters from both polls and listed below. I listed raw votes, total, and total weighted points (3 for a first place vote, 2 for a second, one for a third).

I'll leave each round open for voting for 24 hours.

NOTE: For this exercise, assume that AC comes back.

Offense

*   1st    2nd    3rd   Total  Points

QB    54     14       4       72       194

WR   16     42       12     70       144

OT     2        9         22     33      46

TE     2         6         27     35      45

Defense

*   1st    2nd    3rd   Total  Points

iDL   81     17       10     108     287

DE     6       37       23     66       115

CB     0        31      39     70       101

FS     0         2        6       8          10

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Does getting a QB via FA also cover a trade? 

Yup

20 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Your choice in #3 should have "Develop from within", which is an avenue. But, it's your poll. 

It we develop from within, it's really not a personnel "need" since we already have it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I voted 34 for the QB pick, but I wouldn’t be opposed to making a deal to move up from that puck to get a QB if one falls a bit.

I'm all for trading the two 2nd round picks to get back into the top 20 for either iDL or QB. Both positions are by far my biggest wants, and I'd prefer the best we can get of both.

I chose DL, I want a big nasty NT . One with a mean streak and attitude of Big Q. 

as for question 3. It forced me into making a selection so I chose the FA route but this would only be if a guy like Brees came free, which I highly doubt as I think he’d retire before signing anywhere else. I’d consider Tannehill IF he somehow doesn’t get resigned. Other than that, I’d prefer we pass on a QB this year. Not because I fully believe in any QB currently on our roster but because I really don’t think we’re gonna find an instant upgrade at that position in this draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts00 said:

1)We need both.. QB & iDL.

2) The 3t is the more important spot in our D but I'm all for getting Benito Jones as a NT/DT in the mid rounds.

3) We should draft the QB but I still don't think the future starting QB of the Colts is in this draft

Benito Jones? Is that in addition to an early 3T, or in place of?

I voted QB at 13. But I don't mind waiting to get one next year if they don't believe "the guy" is there. I'd rather they trade back or something to set themselves up for a QB they really like next year if need be, or just staying put and getting a different position. 

9 hours ago, JFreeman said:

I voted QB at 13. But I don't mind waiting to get one next year if they don't believe "the guy" is there. I'd rather they trade back or something to set themselves up for a QB they really like next year if need be, or just staying put and getting a different position. 

I'm with you. "Team needs" vs "what is drafted" doesn't always match. This poll is really more about team needs. The bonus question is just an add on question assuming the "guy" is available.

To your point though, not sure they can stand pat for a year. I think they make a move either in FA or the draft. Standing pat could really impact ticket sales, and I just don't see Irsay allowing things to remain status quo.

Honestly we have draft capital to roll the dice and still be fine. I'd almost prefer we try in the draft to get a QB, and if we tank because of it, we're in a better position to draft next year. There's only really two QBs I like next year, and they'll both be gone by the time we draft if we have another JB-like year (somewhere in the 7-9 and 9-7 range). 

7 hours ago, chrisbeldridge said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them get a quarterback in free agency and drafting a quarterback, also.  If we could get Love, Eason or Gordon, they could use a year or two watching Rivers, Dalton or Winston before they take over.  

Nah I want the rookie  to start  so they can be first  rookie  qb to win superbowl 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrisbeldridge said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them get a quarterback in free agency and drafting a quarterback, also.  If we could get Love, Eason or Gordon, they could use a year or two watching Rivers, Dalton or Winston before they take over.  

I'd like draft+FA, but only in a few scenarios. If we for instance drafted a guy like Love, Eason, or Gordon, I'd rather have a guy like Rivers mentoring them than JB or Hoyer. Dalton might fit that bill too. No thanks on anyone young like Winston. If we do both, I want the senior QB to have a good resume but simply close to the end of his career. 

On 2/6/2020 at 8:20 PM, EastStreet said:

I'd like draft+FA, but only in a few scenarios. If we for instance drafted a guy like Love, Eason, or Gordon, I'd rather have a guy like Rivers mentoring them than JB or Hoyer. Dalton might fit that bill too. No thanks on anyone young like Winston. If we do both, I want the senior QB to have a good resume but simply close to the end of his career. 

Dalton would probably  be a better  mentor than rivers

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Rivers is better in just about every career stat.

Any particular reason you prefer Dalton?

I feel like rivers  might teach a new qb bad habits  like throwing  the ball up for grabs in triple coverage. Dalton  is more conservative