Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's a thought

Stay the course. 

I really hope the Colts do not take a QB at 13. IMO, staying the course the most sense on how to handle this offseason.

At 13 take either the DT or WR depending on how the team is going to handle FA. If their plan is to go after an interior DT in FA, then you go WR at 13 and vice versus regarding the WR. Robby Anderson is the only receiver I would take a run at in FA, unless they are prepared to throw more money at Cooper than Dallas could handle. Not sure the Colts will or not in the FA WR area.

There is no need to grab a QB in this draft until 4th round or later, if then at all. Jacoby is NOT the answer IMO unless something miraculous happens, however he is under contract another year. Hoyer is under contract for 2 more years I believe, however he should be released/cut. Kelly is under contract 2-3 more years I believe and should be considered the backup to Jacoby going in on paper. Mariota, as example, could be brought in on a prove it deal similar to Tannehill in Tennessee to compete. Jacoby, Marcus, and Chad is a solid start, and most importantly shouldn't be that expensive to maintain. 

My point here is that the Colts can tackle BIGGEST needs at WR and DT in the draft and FA, without having to sacrifice those efforts on a rookie QB. 

Personally I do want to see Kelly get a real shot at winning the job, as I believe our QB is already on the team, but I also feel the WR and DT positions are just far more important to this Colts team moving forward than to keep pushing it off and trying to fix it with later round selections and mid-tier FA's as each off-season comes and goes.

• Like 3

IMO the only way we don't draft a QB to either start, compete or develop is if we make a trade for Carr or sign Bridgewater. We definitely need DT, WR & OL (depending on Castanzo) so your point is well taken. However, the #1 priority on every team is QB and it cannot be ignored or passed over if a solid option is available. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure how the reactions I have gotten to the post is laughable or confusion. It seems like the consensus would have the Colts possibly entertaining the idea of taking Love as the QB if he is there, whether at 13 or early second, possibly moving back into the 1st round to obtain him.

Regardless of his potential upside, all I have heard is that this guy is raw and a boom or bust type of guy, need to develop. Actually all the QB's available to us when we select would be, so if everyone is willing to waste a pick on a QB that needs to develop, why not develop the QB the Colts already have who based on sports science metrics and analytics has major upside as well. To me this makes no sense and if that's laughable or confusion to some, then I'm the one that is confused here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not sure how the reactions I have gotten to the post is laughable or confusion. It seems like the consensus would have the Colts possibly entertaining the idea of taking Love as the QB if he is there, whether at 13 or early second, possibly moving back into the 1st round to obtain him.

Regardless of his potential upside, all I have heard is that this guy is raw and a boom or bust type of guy, need to develop. Actually all the QB's available to us when we select would be, so if everyone is willing to waste a pick on a QB that needs to develop, why not develop the QB the Colts already have who based on sports science metrics and analytics has major upside as well. To me this makes no sense and if that's laughable or confusion to some, then I'm the one that is confused here. 

To answer your 1st sentence, some people can't stand the thought of sticking with JB. So most feel like we should take a QB at #13.

im not a big fan of receivers that early, for one i think they would go to waste with our QB

you also dont see many highly drafted receivers winning super bowls, running backs have actually done better as far as skill players go

a DT would need to be really great for me to be excited about that one too, if we can get an average QB that would be good value though 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To answer your 1st sentence, some people can't stand the thought of sticking with JB. So most feel like we should take a QB at #13.

Ok, that's understandable. I do not feel like sticking with JB either. That doesn't mean that the Colts have to take a QB at 13 or at all, especially if we are going to have to go through  the same "growing pains" we went through this past year while we are developing a rookie QB. IDK, I just don't think wasting a pick on a QB that needs to be developed, when you could use that pick on another need and develop the QB already on the roster. Not saying that QB who needs to be developed is JB.

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Ok, that's understandable. I do not feel like sticking with JB either. That doesn't mean that the Colts have to take a QB at 13 or at all, especially if we are going to have to go through  the same "growing pains" we went through this past year while we are developing a rookie QB. IDK, I just don't think wasting a pick on a QB that needs to be developed, when you could use that pick on another need and develop the QB already on the roster. Not saying that QB who needs to be developed is JB.

well the later you take them the less likely they are to work out, Qbs that scouts think have a very good chance of starting  dont last in the draft 

obviously its worked out for a lot of later round qbs in the past but their hit rate is not as good 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Nobody really knows what Ballard is thinking. We could draft a QB at #34 or #44 that nobody is thinking of. He may go with WR and DT before anything. I am fine either way. Russell Wilson went later in the draft and look how he turned out. Ballard may fall in love with someone nobody is talking about.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, we have a tough schedule next year.  Regardless if its JB or a rookie, plan on having a losing record and challenging JAX for last place in the division.

No real urgency to find that QB THIS draft, IMO, when we need to fill expensive positions of DT (probably 2), #1 WR (can't rely on TY for ever), and LT.  No reason to not have some of those players on the roster before we plunge for the QB.

Obviously if the QB you like is available, no reason not to take him, but its not like we have to scramble to get the best QB available first, then wait to draft the rest of the team after that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Whenever we take a QB in the draft we will go thru some growing pains, the sooner the better.

I don't quite get your theory that all you have to do is develop a QB that is already on the roster. Sounds like you feel every QB can be developed regardless of talent but just coach them up. Not how it works. You have to have great talent and great intangibles to play one of the most difficult and important positions in all of sports. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The vibe I am getting from 90% of the forum is, take a QB at 13 or else otherwise this place will implode lmao . I see maybe 10-15% of people in here that are ok with taking a QB with our 34 and not being desperate. We need a DT and a difference maker at WR that is fact.

Thanks. That was my point. The DT that can get inside pressure to go with our rush guys will aid bigtime to our current secondary pieces also. 

• Like 1

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

Whenever we take a QB in the draft we will go thru some growing pains, the sooner the better.

i agree, i think some people will read this and assume we  mean just anyone will definitely be an upgrade

the way i see it, there are good qbs in the draft.  might as well take one now and start the process 

if we dont we will be in the same boat next year imo.  we probably wont be in the top 5 of the draft then either and will be looking at the same types of prospects 

• Like 1

If the guy you love is one of the top 4 or 5 that might go in the first round you take a QB and do everything to get him. We may never be in this position again to be this high up or have the extra pick to move up. The only way we don’t take one in the first is if they don’t believe in one of those 4 or 5 of they are gone and nobody wants to trade up. The longer the team puts it off a year older all the core players get and another year of waiting to find the right QB.

This draft is loaded at WR. There is no reason to take a WR in the first. The only way it’s smart is if you have no other holes. Kind of the same as a RB.

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I don't quite get your theory that all you have to do is develop a QB that is already on the roster. Sounds like you feel every QB can be developed regardless of talent but just coach them up. Not how it works. You have to have great talent and great intangibles to play one of the most difficult and important positions in all of sports. 

I agree, however what if Kelly has what you say is needed to play the position? Let Kelly develop and have the growing pains. Not sure why he is getting written off so soon here. Even though I wanted him to play last year, I do believe it had more to do with Jacoby getting a full season shot with no interference. What I have been hoping for was Reich to install and offensive scheme that was part K-Gun and part RPO system he brought from the Eagles and let Kelly run it. That would be fun, but that's just my opinion.

The BIGGEST NEED is NOT WR or DT. Our Biggest need is QB.

We have no good option at QB for the 2020 season. Franchise QBs don't hit the FA market and don't get traded usually. Rookie QBs are not great. Jacoby is Jacoby. If Ballard loves a QB in the draft he should go get him. The earlier we get him in the building the earlier we will start developing him and the earlier he will be ready to play and win us games. 

No position in football is anywhere close to as important as the QB position is. No amount of WRs will make Jacoby Brissett make the throws he doesn't see or hit the receivers he throws the ball through like he's throwing through a brick wall. What's the point of getting Jerry Jeudy and having him run free all game long when Jacoby won't see him on most of thos? No DTs will ever have the impact that a franchise QB could have, either. 

If there is a QB we like and think can be franchise QB with development by Reich and his staff, just go get him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

In regards to Chad Kelly...He MAY have the skills to play QB at a high level. But, is his head in the right place to be the leader of this team? Listening to Ballard, it sounded to me like the front office/ coaching staff do not fully trust him yet. They believe he's still got alot to prove and has to earn their trust. IMO we cannot roll into next season hoping Kelly has his head on straight and is ready to be the leader on & off the field. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

We have no good option at QB for the 2020 season. Franchise QBs don't hit the FA market and don't get traded usually. Rookie QBs are not great. Jacoby is Jacoby. If Ballard loves a QB in the draft he should go get him. The earlier we get him in the building the earlier we will start developing him and the earlier he will be ready to play and win us games. 

No position in football is anywhere close to as important as the QB position is. No amount of WRs will make Jacoby Brissett make the throws he doesn't see or hit the receivers he throws the ball through like he's throwing through a brick wall. No DTs will ever have the impact that a franchise QB could have, either. 

If there is a QB we like and think can be franchise QB with development by Reich and his staff, just go get him. 

Derek Carr isn't great or even very good but he is good/better than average. He would be good with our O.line and TY Hilton. I would rather trade for him than draft any QB in this draft (Burrow excluded). Carr is just entering his prime at 28 and is strong. He still can play 10 more years. He is a proven NFL QB as well. Carr is better than JB and a nice upgrade. I would have us going 10-6 with him and feel good about it with the Line we have and run game we have. We still need another difference making WR and a DT though no matter how anyone looks at it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I agree, however what if Kelly has what you say is needed to play the position? Let Kelly develop and have the growing pains. Not sure why he is getting written off so soon here. Even though I wanted him to play last year, I do believe it had more to do with Jacoby getting a full season shot with no interference. What I have been hoping for was Reich to install and offensive scheme that was part K-Gun and part RPO system he brought from the Eagles and let Kelly run it. That would be fun, but that's just my opinion.

Chad Kelly is a third string QB on a roster with Jacoby Brissett as the starter and Brian Hoyer as the backup. Pause for a moment and think about it for a minute or two. Jacoby Brissett and Brian Hoyer give us better chance to win than Chad Kelly according to our coaching staff. Brian Hoyer! Who's lost his last dozen games in the league. I honestly have no idea why people put ANY hopes whatsoever in the Chad Kelly basket. 

I agree that our biggest need is QB but I'm almost coming to peace with us not getting one.

I think the big 4 will all have gone by 13 and I think we're to conservative and passive to move up.

Outside of those guys there lower level QBs that I could make a case for but they all seem to have significant flaws which make me think they aren't the one for us. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Derek Carr isn't great or even very good but he is good/better than average. He would be good with our O.line and TY Hilton. I would rather trade for him than draft any QB in this draft (Burrow excluded). Carr is just entering his prime at 28 and is strong. He still can play 10 more years. He is a proven NFL QB as well. Carr is better than JB and a nice upgrade. I would have us going 10-6 with him and feel good about it with the Line we have and run game we have. We still need another difference making WR and a DT though no matter how anyone looks at it.

If he's as good as you think he is, Gruden won't trade him. IMO he's not better than average. He's strictly average-ish. He's probably the one that would give us the best chance to win next year, but IMO he will also be the one to lower our ceiling in the long-term because the moment you trade stuff for him is the moment you have to commit to paying him big money and believe me he will ask big money when he sees what Dak Prescott and Cousins and Garoppolo are getting. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

If he's as good as you think he is, Gruden won't trade him. IMO he's not better than average. He's strictly average-ish. He's probably the one that would give us the best chance to win next year, but IMO he will also be the one to lower our ceiling in the long-term because the moment you trade stuff for him is the moment you have to commit to paying him big money and believe me he will ask big money when he sees what Dak Prescott and Cousins and Garoppolo are getting. 

I was hearing rumors there for a while that Gruden may draft a QB and he and Carr had some disagreements this last season. If that is the case, who knows what Gruden is thinking. Lets see if they take a QB in round 1. I do like Carr out of some of the other names I have been hearing like Dalton or Rivers. I do realize we would have to trade for Carr though and not sure what Gruden would want?

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been on the Carr bandwagon ever since the rumors came out that Gruden might be open to trading him. I like Carr alot. He's not a top 5, 1st ballot hall of fame QB but he is solid. If we could get him with one of our 2nd round picks I would jump on it in a heat beat. That would set us up perfectly for the draft to go BPA.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was hearing rumors there for a while that Gruden may draft a QB and he and Carr had some disagreements this last season. If that is the case, who knows what Gruden is thinking. Lets see if they take a QB in round 1.

I guess we'll see in a several of months. 

I do like Carr out of some of the other names I have been hearing like Dalton or Rivers. I do realize we would have to trade for Carr though and not sure what Gruden would want?

When you think QBs, what's your goal? Those are WILDLY different scenarios. It's almost more about the direction than the quality of the QB unless you think our window is the next year or two, which I don't think it is. If you get Carr IMO you are getting him to be your long-term solution at QB. If you get Dalton or Rivers, it's for them to be your new bridge to whoever the next guy will be. I.e. you change nothing, just substitute Brissett with another short-term QB... you still need to be thinking about drafting a QB whether this year or next and again - I would prefer we draft him earlier. 

About Carr - I doubt they let him go for less than a second rounder. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I guess we'll see in a several of months. 

When you think QBs, what's your goal? Those are WILDLY different scenarios. It's almost more about the direction than the quality of the QB unless you think our window is the next year or two, which I don't think it is. If you get Carr IMO you are getting him to be your long-term solution at QB. If you get Dalton or Rivers, it's for them to be your new bridge to whoever the next guy will be. I.e. you change nothing, just substitute Brissett with another short-term QB... you still need to be thinking about drafting a QB whether this year or next and again - I would prefer we draft him earlier. 

About Carr - I doubt they let him go for less than a second rounder. 

With Carr we would have a long term direction IMO because he is only 28. Carr isn't Andrew Luck obviously but with a great O.line and run game we could do some damage with him IMO. Ballard would just need to focus on building a power house defense for the next 2 years. Dalton and especially Rivers = too old.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Carr we would have a long term direction IMO because he is only 28. Carr isn't Andrew Luck obviously but with a great O.line and run game we could do some damage with him IMO. Ballard would just need to focus on building a power house defense for the next 2 years. Dalton and especially Rivers = too old.

I've been making this case several times, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself - for me the problem with Carr is that he gives you no margin for error. He's not good enough to drag your team and he's paid about as much as the elite QBs in the league. The QB position having outsized impact provides you with a couple of opportunities for increasing the margin of error in building your team - paywise or playwise. Paywise is when you have a solid QB on rookie scale deal, thus you can spend the extra ~20M on other things to improve your roster, playwise is your QB being a franchise type and being able to cover for weaknesses elsewhere in your team. Carr cannot do either - he's paid a lot and he's not elite enough to cover holes in your roster, thus IMO you will have to have nearly perfect roster elsewhere. And this is without me even going into us losing value and assets by having to trade significant picks for him. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've been making this case several times, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself - for me the problem with Carr is that he gives you no margin for error. He's not good enough to drag your team and he's paid about as much as the elite QBs in the league. The QB position having outsized impact provides you with a couple of opportunities for increasing the margin of error in building your team - paywise or playwise. Paywise is when you have a solid QB on rookie scale deal, thus you can spend the extra ~20M on other things to improve your roster, playwise is your QB being a franchise type and being able to cover for weaknesses elsewhere in your team. Carr cannot do either - he's paid a lot and he's not elite enough to cover holes in your roster, thus IMO you will have to have nearly perfect roster elsewhere. And this is without me even going into us losing value and assets by having to trade significant picks for him. 

I probably would think twice about trying to trade for Carr but we have so much money under the Cap we can afford him. 

43 minutes ago, stitches said:

No position in football is anywhere close to as important as the QB position is. No amount of WRs will make Jacoby Brissett make the throws he doesn't see or hit the receivers he throws the ball through like he's throwing through a brick wall. What's the point of getting Jerry Jeudy and having him run free all game long when Jacoby won't see him on most of thos? No DTs will ever have the impact that a franchise QB could have, either. 

In 2013, the Buffalo Bills' biggest need was QB.  It was a weak draft, not only at QB, but across the board.  They took the best QB in the draft, E.J. Manuel, at pick 16.  And set their franchise back five years.

In 2011, the Tennessee Titans had a big need at QB.  Holding the 8th pick, they selected Jake Locker.  And set their franchise back four years.

In 2014, the Jacksonville Jaguars desperately needed a QB.  With the 3rd pick, they selected Blake Bortles, thinking that he would be the 2nd coming of Roethlisberger.  He wasn't.  And it set their team back years.

I'm not trying to mock you.  But pointing out something that most good GM's know.  You grade the players dispassionately.  Objectively.  You lay out your board.  You follow your board.  You may have a huge need at a position.  But if it's not there, don't force it.  CB said it himself.  Don't convince yourself to draft someone who isn't going to be what you need him to be, if he isn't capable of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I probably would think twice about trying to trade for Carr but we have so much money under the Cap we can afford him. 

We have money now for the next year or two. We won't always have it. We are lucky that we are getting all-pro type of production by multiple players on rookie deals. That's not the norm. You will have to pay Nelson and Kelly and Leonard and others of the youth soon. You will have to up TY, AC(if he doesn't retire)... That money will be gone sooner than you imagine. 

If I were the GM I would take Fromm in the 2nd if he is still available and bring in Mariota on an incentive laden deal. Let Fromm learn and grow without the pressure of starting. Have Jacoby and Mariota fight for QB1. Mariota was deadly accurate in college and has the athleticism to be a real threat on the ground. I think Reich could get the most out of him. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

As has been pointed out elsewhere, we have a tough schedule next year.  Regardless if its JB or a rookie, plan on having a losing record and challenging JAX for last place in the division.

No real urgency to find that QB THIS draft, IMO, when we need to fill expensive positions of DT (probably 2), #1 WR (can't rely on TY for ever), and LT.  No reason to not have some of those players on the roster before we plunge for the QB.

Obviously if the QB you like is available, no reason not to take him, but its not like we have to scramble to get the best QB available first, then wait to draft the rest of the team after that.

If Castanzo retires there is no way they trade up.  They have to many holes and cannot afford to give up picks.  I think next year mayb the year they would move up.  I think if they do pick a qb this year it will surprise people who they pick.  Everyone is suggesting Herbert,Tua and Love.  I don't think they  r the type of qb that they r looking for.

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

In 2013, the Buffalo Bills' biggest need was QB.  It was a weak draft, not only at QB, but across the board.  They took the best QB in the draft, E.J. Manuel, at pick 16.  And set their franchise back five years.

In 2011, the Tennessee Titans had a big need at QB.  Holding the 8th pick, they selected Jake Locker.  And set their franchise back four years.

In 2014, the Jacksonville Jaguars desperately needed a QB.  With the 3rd pick, they selected Blake Bortles, thinking that he would be the 2nd coming of Roethlisberger.  He wasn't.  And it set their team back years.

I'm not trying to mock you.  But pointing out something that most good GM's know.  You grade the players dispassionately.  Objectively.  You lay out your board.  You follow your board.  You may have a huge need at a position.  But if it's not there, don't force it.  CB said it himself.  Don't convince yourself to draft someone who isn't going to be what you need him to be, if he isn't capable of it.

you might as well add the jets to that list too. they desperately needed a QB and traded everything but the kitchen sink for Sam Darnold who i dont think will do much in this league because apparently he has a six sense and sees ghost people.:facepalm:

11 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

What's the point of this post? I'm not advocating for drafting a QB just to draft a QB. In pretty much all my posts I say - only draft a QB if you really like/love him and if you think he can be a franchise QB. 

Also the same goes for every position in football - for some reason people think that only QBs bust in the 1st round. This is NOT the case. With some minor exceptions, pretty much all positions have similar bust rates, including QB, including WR, including DT... 

Here's the chart:

paine-datalab-nfldraft1.png?w=575

Pretty much all positions hover around 45-55% success rate in the 1st round. In fact - defensive linemen and receivers actually have lower success rate than QBs. 

That's why I will say it again - if Ballard loves a QB and he thinks he can be our franchise QB of the future through development by Frank and the staff, go get him. If not... either go get BPA or trade back/out and start accumulating future assets in case next year has a QB you like.

• Like 2

This is a interesting snippet from a interview Mike Mayock gave.  If  kinlaw is still there at 12 I don’t think he is getting by the raiders. Also if Simmons is there. He mentioned LB too. Which might be good for the colts if they want a QB. They aren’t taking a QB at 12. They have a good QB so they don’t need to go that direction if Kinlaw is there. Colts have no QB.

We’ve got to get better at defensive tackle. We’ve got to get better on the back end. So we have a lot of holes to fill on defense.

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If Castanzo retires there is no way they trade up.  They have to many holes and cannot afford to give up picks.  I think next year mayb the year they would move up.  I think if they do pick a qb this year it will surprise people who they pick.  Everyone is suggesting Herbert,Tua and Love.  I don't think they  r the type of qb that they r looking for.

QB over left tackle this year even if he does retire. Try to find a LT in FA as a stop gap while we draft one in the second round this year or wait until next year. You don’t know what next years draft will hold. You don’t put QB off if there is one there you are in love with. Especially when we have extra pick this year and already are at 13.

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

Stay the course. 

I really hope the Colts do not take a QB at 13. IMO, staying the course the most sense on how to handle this offseason.

At 13 take either the DT or WR depending on how the team is going to handle FA. If their plan is to go after an interior DT in FA, then you go WR at 13 and vice versus regarding the WR. Robby Anderson is the only receiver I would take a run at in FA, unless they are prepared to throw more money at Cooper than Dallas could handle. Not sure the Colts will or not in the FA WR area.

There is no need to grab a QB in this draft until 4th round or later, if then at all. Jacoby is NOT the answer IMO unless something miraculous happens, however he is under contract another year. Hoyer is under contract for 2 more years I believe, however he should be released/cut. Kelly is under contract 2-3 more years I believe and should be considered the backup to Jacoby going in on paper. Mariota, as example, could be brought in on a prove it deal similar to Tannehill in Tennessee to compete. Jacoby, Marcus, and Chad is a solid start, and most importantly shouldn't be that expensive to maintain. 

My point here is that the Colts can tackle BIGGEST needs at WR and DT in the draft and FA, without having to sacrifice those efforts on a rookie QB. 

Personally I do want to see Kelly get a real shot at winning the job, as I believe our QB is already on the team, but I also feel the WR and DT positions are just far more important to this Colts team moving forward than to keep pushing it off and trying to fix it with later round selections and mid-tier FA's as each off-season comes and goes.

I hold a lot of these same thoughts. In fact, if you are picking a QB in the first with a boom or bust feeling, you’re going down the Cleveland Browns path. But if your taking one in the 4th and beyond, there are some serious flaws and that where you hope that they are overcoming flaws with time, but it’s 3+ years away I’d bet. 

my other belief has been shared here in several posts. I honestly feel like Chad Kelly was kept on this roster to challenge for the starting spot in 2020. He gives you every bit of prospect as you do with all the guys we have available to us with the exception of Burroughs (not available to us though). He has the arm, he can run, he has football IQ. His issues are off the field and maturity. I still say CB, once he seen that JB likely isn’t going to be the answer, kept him on the roster last year when he needed a roster space. He likely gave him the ultimatum of that last chance type stuff and said if you can keep your nose clean and work hard this offseason, prove to us through your rough growing pains that you can overcome adversity, we see you as a fit moving forward but we have to know you can stay clean and focused even when everything looks bleak. We have to know you will be here for this team through good and bad times. I believe CK will be the starter in 2020 coming out of PS. 

assuming CB follows my theory, we take a trenches guy first pick. If AC retires, it’s OT, if he stays, it’s DT. A team thrives on 4 things. 1. QB play 2. OT protection 3. DLine pressure and 4. Middle dline push. Without those pillars, teams fail. 

as for the back up QB, I’d certainly change Hoyer with anyone else, he isn’t good. If not like Marcus M either. Yuk! If Foles is cut, I can see him as a fit but he likely isn’t coming to be back up, he’d have to be given a honest chance to compete for the starters role, and I’d just rather pass. I’d be more than happy to try and reasonably acquire Carr though, he would be my only acceptable choice to move forward with a FA choice and place over Kelly at this point. 

going to be an interesting offseason to see where this team is heading. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

QB over left tackle this year even if he does retire. Try to find a LT in FA as a stop gap while we draft one in the second round this year or wait until next year. You don’t know what next years draft will hold. You don’t put QB off if there is one there you are in love with. Especially when we have extra pick this year and already are at 13.

The thing is this.  The Colts have a tough schedule next year.  They could be actually be picking higher in the draft next year.  The key thing is if the Colts love somebody in this draft.  For all we know, the Colts may not like any of the top qbs.