Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harry Hiestand OL coach

Mr.NotSoCreative

He was let go by the Bears. Turned guys like McGlinchey, Ronnie Stanley, and our own Big Q into beasts. I actually hope Notre Dame pulls all punches to get him back in South Bend, but would be thrilled if he wanted to stay in the NFL and ended up on the Colts staff. Our oline is really good, imo he would make them great and would build up our depth and "recruiting" FA studs in the future.

• Like 1

I don’t think our OL regressed much at all. Jacoby has a lot to do with more sacks (held onto the ball) and even our run game getting shut down at time (teams not worrying about Jacoby, stacking the box). If anything, Glow showed his true colors, that he’s just kind of average. But truth is, he wasn’t all that great last year.

I know Q talked really highly of Hiestand at his first Colts presser, and I’m sure he’d love to have him. His stint with Chicago probably isn’t too enticing to make a switch though.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don’t think our OL regressed much at all. Jacoby has a lot to do with more sacks (held onto the ball) and even our run game getting shut down at time (teams not worrying about Jacoby, stacking the box). If anything, Glow showed his true colors, that he’s just kind of average. But truth is, he wasn’t all that great last year.

I know Q talked really highly of Hiestand at his first Colts presser, and I’m sure he’d love to have him. His stint with Chicago probably isn’t too enticing to make a switch though.

Yup, the regression talk is horse dooky. JB made the OL's job doubly hard as you mention in both pass pro and run blocking. The OL was graded as holding the longest pocket in the league and still managed to support a 1000 yard RB season.

Glow is the definitely the weak link, but every single OL in the league has a weak leak. A lot of OLs would love to have Glow as the worst lineman on their team, because it would mean the rest are pretty darn good. Sure we can upgrade, but IMO we have far greater needs. I'd upgrade depth at OT (which we have almost none) before OG.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, the regression talk is horse dooky. JB made the OL's job doubly hard as you mention in both pass pro and run blocking. The OL was graded as holding the longest pocket in the league and still managed to support a 1000 yard RB season.

Glow is the definitely the weak link, but every single OL in the league has a weak leak. A lot of OLs would love to have Glow as the worst lineman on their team, because it would mean the rest are pretty darn good. Sure we can upgrade, but IMO we have far greater needs. I'd upgrade depth at OT (which we have almost none) before OG.

Good post.  Where did you get that fact about the Colts holding the pocket.  Never heard of that, but interesting. 

12 minutes ago, cbear said:

Good post.  Where did you get that fact about the Colts holding the pocket.  Never heard of that, but interesting. 

It was mentioned during one of the games, but I also posted a tweet a few weeks ago showing us #2 or #3 in a similar metric.

The fact we are top 10 lowest in sacks, yet JB has the 2nd highest time to throw is pretty remarkable in itself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It was mentioned during one of the games, but I also posted a tweet a few weeks ago showing us #2 or #3 in a similar metric.

The fact we are top 10 lowest in sacks, yet JB has the 2nd highest time to throw is pretty remarkable in itself.

Welcome back Eaststreet. missed you over the Holidays.

22 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Welcome back Eaststreet. missed you over the Holidays.

Been popping in and out. Travelling, and spending a lot of time working on my mom's house (she just went through her second holiday season of cancer treatments). Very blessed caught it early a second time in a row, and treatments went perfect again. That, watching CFB and eating way too much lol. Hope you had a great holidays.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I always find it interesting when we all see the same thing differently.

Seems like many thought the line was not as good in 19 as it was in 18.   Others think it was just as good. 

Same thing.   Different views.

I think when you consider context they where just as good or better.  

Luck was always masterful at manuvering in the pocket and was faster than JB to escape pressure.  He also got rid of the ball quicker.

We're still towards the bottom in sacks given up but the OL worked with a guy who's got less pocket awareness, is slower, and takes longer to throw the ball.  

Had quite a few really good rushing games too despite the fact that Brissett threw for under 200 yards in most of his games this year.  

22 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

It's a reason why he was fired....their o-line was trash at run blocking

Not necessarily. Bucky Brooks tweeted the other day that it’s important to hit on the right QB in the draft because they often get coordinators fired. The tweet was directly in reference to the 3 coaches Chicago let go because Trubisky sucks. Jay Cutler had the same effect. Also doesn’t help that there isn’t much talent on the Bears OL to begin with.

Hiestand should get another shot in the league.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 10:58 AM, EastStreet said:

Yea, let's just hope Castonzo doesn't retire.  If he does, we'll need to address OT early in the draft or with a high profile FA.  

I am still a little shocked we haven't seen more growth from Clark or Haeg (I think Haeg is a very solid back up, but really thought the only thing from holding him back from being a starter early on was his strength and needing to bulk up a little -- Clark I thought would be very good by year 3, but he still hasn't cracked the starting line up and seems to be a healthy scratch fairly often).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yea, let's just hope Castonzo doesn't retire.  If he does, we'll need to address OT early in the draft or with a high profile FA.  

I am still a little shocked we haven't seen more growth from Clark or Haeg (I think Haeg is a very solid back up, but really thought the only thing from holding him back from being a starter early on was his strength and needing to bulk up a little -- Clark I thought would be very good by year 3, but he still hasn't cracked the starting line up and seems to be a healthy scratch fairly often).

Yup, but even if AC stays, we still need to go OT early in the next couple years. Clark, from the little I've seen, was awful. I like Haeg, and think he's about as solid as a backup as you can have.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, but even if AC stays, we still need to go OT early in the next couple years. Clark, from the little I've seen, was awful. I like Haeg, and think he's about as solid as a backup as you can have.

Yea, from Clark's draft profile:  

SOURCES TELL US

"He's going to end up being big time in our league. He's got elite foot quickness, he's long and he's smart. He'll keep getting better once he gets to a pro offense and away from that stuff Texas Tech does and he'll become one of the top five tackles in our league." -- NFC personnel director

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/leraven-clark?id=2555202

He is a physical specimen and played in a weird college offense... but for some reason he hasn't taken his physical abilities and translated them into being a good NFL player.  Thought a little NFL coaching would have done the trick.  Every time I've seen him on the field though, he looks lost.

And yes, Haeg is about as solid a backup as you can have.  I think he'd be fine starting (not an ideal starter, but I don't think he's a significant drop off from Glow).  Probably the nicest thing about him is he can play all 5 OL positions and is fairly proficient at each.  Not a lot of back-ups in the NFL could do the same (if any).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not necessarily. Bucky Brooks tweeted the other day that it’s important to hit on the right QB in the draft because they often get coordinators fired. The tweet was directly in reference to the 3 coaches Chicago let go because Trubisky sucks. Jay Cutler had the same effect. Also doesn’t help that there isn’t much talent on the Bears OL to begin with.

Hiestand should get another shot in the league.

Naw their poor running game isn't trubisky's fault....their o-line was trash I watched a few bear games and the running lanes were not there....Montgomery averaged 3.7 yards a carry and 55.6 yards a game their o-line needs a big upgrade

8 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yea, from Clark's draft profile:  

SOURCES TELL US

"He's going to end up being big time in our league. He's got elite foot quickness, he's long and he's smart. He'll keep getting better once he gets to a pro offense and away from that stuff Texas Tech does and he'll become one of the top five tackles in our league." -- NFC personnel director

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/leraven-clark?id=2555202

He is a physical specimen and played in a weird college offense... but for some reason he hasn't taken his physical abilities and translated them into being a good NFL player.  Thought a little NFL coaching would have done the trick.  Every time I've seen him on the field though, he looks lost.

And yes, Haeg is about as solid a backup as you can have.  I think he'd be fine starting (not an ideal starter, but I don't think he's a significant drop off from Glow).  Probably the nicest thing about him is he can play all 5 OL positions and is fairly proficient at each.  Not a lot of back-ups in the NFL could do the same (if any).

I had some high hopes too. It was pretty evident to me once they started Braden at RT, that they were kinda giving up on Clark ever being a starter at OT.

On Haeg, a lot of folks were bashing him earlier last year. Most folks don't understand how flexible he is. We're lucky to have that type of OL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

On Haeg, a lot of folks were bashing him earlier last year. Most folks don't understand how flexible he is. We're lucky to have that type of OL.

Yep, and I thought he handled his business very well in 35 snaps played against the Panthers in Week 16 while Q was out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

Yep, and I thought he handled his business very well in 35 snaps played against the Panthers in Week 16 while Q was out.

Yup, most don't even know they subbed him for Nelson lol... They just know we won and all was good. I honestly thought they might give him starts in front of Glow earlier this year. We're very lucky to have our top 6 guys. Most teams are starting guys much further down the talent ladder.