Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agents The Colts Should Target

Andy

There are still a bunch of quality free agents out there and the Colts still have a good amount of needs. These are the players the Colts should target:

Charle Batch -- Quarterback

Andrew Luck (Assuming he gets picked) is a rookie QB and the Colts essentially have no backups. Charle Batch did a great job backing up Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh. He's started 3 games in 2010 and went 2-1 in those games while having 3 touchdowns to 3 interceptions. A big reason why he would fit well is because Bruce Arians is the offensive coordinator and Arians was the offensive coordinator with Batch for the last several years. He has a good relationship with him and knows his system well. He could also be a role model for Andrew Luck and make Luck's transition into the NFL much easier. He's old, but he still has some play in him, and could come for a good price. Worth signing to a one or two year deal.

Chilo Rachal -- Guard

The Colts need a new RG. Ryan Diem is a free agent and probably not coming back, and with the tackles spot settled, the Colts have really nobody at guard, besides a bunch of backups. Mike Pollak is a FA agent too and if brought back would be a better fit at center since he played there his whole college career. Bobbie Williams was a solid guard in San Franciscoi, in both run blocking and pass blocking, but was better in running situations. He could come in and become a starter at RG for several years. He could come for a decent price, probably around 2-4.5M a year average. He would be a great addition and make the guard spot a small need.

Ladarius Webb -- Cornerback

This seems like another perfect fit. The Colts need a good cornerback, as the only good one on the team is Jerraud Powers. They need a good outside cornerback that could play #1 CB or #2 CB. The biggest reason to bring him is that he has performed well as a #1 CB in Baltimore, with Chuck Pagano, who's the new head coach of the Colts. He is a good coverage cornerback who is getting better in the tackling department. This last season he had 60+ tackles, a sack and most importantly 5 interceptions. He could be a long time starter in Indy, and he would make the CB spot less of a need. He would probably ask for a pretty big contract, but if proportioned properly, they could easily afford him. This means that they have to give the more cap-heavy years in future years, not this year.

Early Doucet -- Wide Receiver

The Colts have Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie, two very good receivers, but that's about it. Blair White is the only other wide receiver who has played on this team before and will probably make the team. That makes 3 wide receivers, and even if the Colts draft a wide receiver(s), they could still use a good slot receiver. Early Doucet is a good slot receiver. He looked good this year as an outside guy, but looked more comfortable as a slot receiver with Breaston and Fitzgerald being the outside guys. Him and Collie are both good slot receivers, so they must determine who's the better wide receiver, and make that guy the wideout. Doucet would be a nice addition to the team, and would give Andrew Luck a nice target and make his transition easier.

None of these players will be very expensive and they could have immediate impacts on and off the field. The offensive players could help out Andrew Luck, and his transition into the NFL, and the defensive player could help out the Colts' biggest need. The Colts have tons of cap space in future years, so set up the contracts so that the cap-heavy years happen later in the contract. These would all be great signings.

Webb is an RFA with a 1st round tender, so scratch him off the list.

So we would have to give the Ravens about 2 million dollars...hmmm. If the contract is right, I still think signing Webb is worth it. It may not be worth it if the Ravens ask for Webb's original draft round that he was drafted in, which is the 3rd round. Let's see how it plays out, so I'm not taking him off right away.

So we would have to give the Ravens about 2 million dollars...hmmm. If the contract is right, I still think signing Webb is worth it. It may not be worth it if the Ravens ask for Webb's original draft round that he was drafted in, which is the 3rd round. Let's see how it plays out, so I'm not taking him off right away.

I dont think that is correct.... I believe we give them our 1st round pick this year if we get him

Huh....you give them Andrew Luck?????

No, Andy, we would have to give the Ravens our #1 pick for Webb.

I dont think that is correct.... I believe we give them our 1st round pick this year if we get him

Correct. What he said.

No, Andy, we would have to give the Ravens our #1 pick for Webb.

Correct. What he said.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that a first round tender is worth 2.72M. So isn't it we pay the Ravens 2.72M if we sign Webb and I think that he must get permission from the Ravens to talk to them. That's what I think it is, and if it's not, then could you send me a link of how it really works.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that a first round tender is worth 2.72M. So isn't it we pay the Ravens 2.72M if we sign Webb and I think that he must get permission from the Ravens to talk to them. That's what I think it is, and if it's not, then could you send me a link of how it really works.

you would have to give up your first round draft pick...thats why teams with no first rounder cant try to sign Wallace from the Steelers

you would have to give up your first round draft pick...thats why teams with no first rounder cant try to sign Wallace from the Steelers

I've got it now...I just re-read and I misunderstood it. You're right, you must give up your first round pick for the player and give him a 1 year contract worth 2.72M. My bad on that one, so I'll take him off.

I went through my free agency roll-a-dex and keep coming back to a name,

Yeah It's Peyton Manning. Why don't the colts go after Peyton Manning? That would...what? Be a good decision?

Anything other than signing peyton is the dumbest move in colts history.

He's gone. Get over it, please.

I changed Ladarius Webb to another player who I would really like. This guy is the guy I would like if Webb were not available which seems to be the case:

Greg Toler -- Cornerback

Greg Toler is a very underrated player who has spent several years in Arizona playing as a #2 and #3 cornerback either behind Patrick Peterson or Dominique Rodgers Cromartie. He isn't the flashiest player, but he gets the job done. This last season, he didn't play a snap due to a knee injury. In his 2nd year in the NFL (2010), he logged 2 interceptions and 90 tackles. That's a pretty impressive feat for a cornerback. Now, the Colts have essentially nobody at the CB spot besides Jerraud Powers. The rest are backups or nickelbacks. He could come in and give them size and he could give them many years of good consistent play. He's an underrated CB who could come for a very good price. He's played in a similar system to Pagano's in Arizona, so the transition shouldn't be hard.

that's the point of being a sports fan. Not getting over things. Thats why we suck as fans, we have short memories. Almost as if we don't even watch our team play football.

So you'd rather we all sat in a dark room and cried because Peyton has gone?

No, you accept was happened and move on, keep backing the team.

that's the point of being a sports fan. Not getting over things. Thats why we suck as fans, we have short memories. Almost as if we don't even watch our team play football.

If you can't move on, you'll never make progress. Fans aren't suppose to live in the past, fans live in the moment. They go to the games, they watch it on TV, they spend the 200$ to buy that jersey, and they care about that team day in and day out. Remember the good, but move on.

I like the Charlie Batch idea the most out of all the possibilities Andy suggested. That would be a very good move in my opinion and alleviate any back-up QB concerns going forward. Webb would have been very nice as well but as pointed out by others & later acknowledged by Andy...not at the price of our first rounder this year. Don't know much about Toler but we need to get a solid corner opposite Powers from somewhere. Need some good cover guys in the secondary since it seems we may be sacrificing some coverage skills of our linebackers as we transition into the new defensive system.

I originally would rather have PM starting and Luck learning from him but that isn't an option so I like bringing back Orvlosky to back up and bringing in another young qb. Batch is certainly a known quantity but I would rather take chances on running across something special. We don't need someone to step in and keep us in contention we will not be in contention. Luck will likely never come out but if he goes down I would rather give a shot at a young rookie/young qb that if he can show flashes of promise or we can develop along side like Luck like Flynn/Kobb did that we can possibly trade away that guy for future draft picks. I would like to have an opportunity to have a rising star sitting behind and developing along side Luck. Why is it some teams can train two qbs but our team is too lazy to develop another qb. Just because PM got all the reps why couldn't we get a young qb that works hard on his own or with staff to develop along the way....why did we have Painter just happy to coast along? I would rather have some young players that won't to be starters with a future in front of them and working hard to get better to prove they can be the man then a 38 year old career back up that doesn't have starter skills that will manage a game and hand the ball off. Give me someone with some up side. Maybe they will get inspired to be great and beat Luck out...or learn and if we can move latter on for something. I just don't think we can only count on Luck to be our future. I pray and hope and have pretty strong faith in the guy but developing another young guy in the wings certainly couldn't hurt. Charlie Batch seems like the safest bet but I don't think he makes our team better. I don't think he has the skills necessary to teach or show Luck much. He can't teach him how to be a starter...how to prepare...he can teach him how to hold a clipboard though. If you want a veteren qb to back up than get one that has been a long time starter then.

CB are pretty expensive in FA. Even mediocre ones demand millions. I would prefer to go through the draft but if a solid corner falls at the right price no problem.

I like what we have done with the line. Not sure we need to do much more here except drafting. I think we have enough pieces. I know they all don't naturally fit but all have qualities to plug in and see if we can gel. On offense other than TE and back up qb I think we are pretty done here. We will probably bring in a veteren running back cheap and I assume we will sign some very very small name wr to practice team type salaries but basically TE is our big need now on that side of the ball. I believe the defensive side isn't done and we will see a ton of special teamers brought in that show potential. Kind of like what we did at Saftey. Guys that COULD start but haven't had the opportunities.

I originally would rather have PM starting and Luck learning from him but that isn't an option so I like bringing back Orvlosky to back up and bringing in another young qb. Batch is certainly a known quantity but I would rather take chances on running across something special. We don't need someone to step in and keep us in contention we will not be in contention. Luck will likely never come out but if he goes down I would rather give a shot at a young rookie/young qb that if he can show flashes of promise or we can develop along side like Luck like Flynn/Kobb did that we can possibly trade away that guy for future draft picks. I would like to have an opportunity to have a rising star sitting behind and developing along side Luck. Why is it some teams can train two qbs but our team is too lazy to develop another qb. Just because PM got all the reps why couldn't we get a young qb that works hard on his own or with staff to develop along the way....why did we have Painter just happy to coast along? I would rather have some young players that won't to be starters with a future in front of them and working hard to get better to prove they can be the man then a 38 year old career back up that doesn't have starter skills that will manage a game and hand the ball off. Give me someone with some up side. Maybe they will get inspired to be great and beat Luck out...or learn and if we can move latter on for something. I just don't think we can only count on Luck to be our future. I pray and hope and have pretty strong faith in the guy but developing another young guy in the wings certainly couldn't hurt. Charlie Batch seems like the safest bet but I don't think he makes our team better. I don't think he has the skills necessary to teach or show Luck much. He can't teach him how to be a starter...how to prepare...he can teach him how to hold a clipboard though. If you want a veteren qb to back up than get one that has been a long time starter then.

CB are pretty expensive in FA. Even mediocre ones demand millions. I would prefer to go through the draft but if a solid corner falls at the right price no problem.

I like what we have done with the line. Not sure we need to do much more here except drafting. I think we have enough pieces. I know they all don't naturally fit but all have qualities to plug in and see if we can gel. On offense other than TE and back up qb I think we are pretty done here. We will probably bring in a veteren running back cheap and I assume we will sign some very very small name wr to practice team type salaries but basically TE is our big need now on that side of the ball. I believe the defensive side isn't done and we will see a ton of special teamers brought in that show potential. Kind of like what we did at Saftey. Guys that COULD start but haven't had the opportunities.

I think I read that Orvlosky has already signed somewhere. I'm sure someone knows for sure.

Thanks Andy I'm trying to keep up with everyone but it gets kind of hard between the yard work and everything else. Having 80 temps makes the grass grow but better than shoveling snow any day. haha

Very true :)