Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nyheim Hines has been criminally under-utilized this year (merge)

zibby43

Good "film room" article from Stampede Blue on the topic:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/12/21/21032312/film-room-nyheim-hines-needs-more-touches-in-2020

In 2018, Hines played 499 snaps (44% of the offensive snaps) while logging 148 touches for 739 yards and 4 touchdowns.

In 2019, he has played only 298 snaps (31% of available offensive snaps) while getting just 84 touches for 457 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Love the explosiveness he possesses. 

giphy.gif

Shifty near the goal line, too.

giphy.gif

He came very close to setting rookie records last year, and then....  Regression....

I think part of it is he ran a good amount of seam routes last year, which JB simply is not very good at seeing/hitting.  I think the other challenge may be JB's high time to throw, and the need to use a larger back to stay in and block. What I hated most is that they ran him between the tackles too much. He's ok when they are man blocking, but he's much better IMO on the edge.

Whatever the reason, he's capable of a lot more. Reich has several head scratchers this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He came very close to setting rookie records last year, and then....  Regression....

I think part of it is he ran a good amount of seam routes last year, which JB simply is not very good at seeing/hitting.  I think the other challenge may be JB's high time to throw, and the need to use a larger back to stay in and block. What I hated most is that they ran him between the tackles too much. He's ok when they are man blocking, but he's much better IMO on the edge.

Whatever the reason, he's capable of a lot more. Reich has several head scratchers this year.

Quoted for truth.

Agreed on the between the tackles running.  However, I think his success there depends on the specific play call/blocking scheme being utilized. 

For example, I think he's great in quick-hitting power schemes, where he doesn't have to rely on his mediocre vision.  Just let the OL get a hat-on-a-hat and let Hines explode to the second level.  Strangely, the Colts haven't used as much power as I'd like them to this year . . .

The only knock on Hines is that his ball security can be a little white-knuckle at times; but it's not like he's a fumble machine.  Only 2 in his NFL career (1 this year). 

He's regressed a bit, bit he's largely another victim of having to live with a QB that can only run a portion of the playbook well.  Reich can't possibly call the same games he did with Luck under center.  They simply dont succeed enough of the time.  I'm sure these dudes love JB.... But were starting to see that diminish with guys who's contract prospects he's murdering....  We'll hopefully get to see nyheim in a more open offense again next year, he was fun.

Reich has changed a lot of the playbook to try and assist JB it seems. This has caused MOST players on the offense to regress in my opinion. It also doesn’t help that JB can’t hit the open guys anyway.

Hines is a good player. They just need to get him in open space. Screen plays would be great but for some reason the Colts struggle terribly with screen plays.

• Like 2

The Colts have struggled with screen plays this year because there are 11 guys up on the line of scrimmage waiting for it. Not one team in the nfl fears Brissett. Brissett took a team that averaged 27 points per game last year and turned it into one that averages 21.5, which isn't bad until you realize they are only averaging 15 a game over the last 7. So how do you proclaim him the starter for next season? You can't, there has to be open competition at the qb position. Iknow the players vote on the captains every year and I think 3 of the 4 captains this season will not be on the team next year(Brissett, Geathers, and Vinnie)

Screen plays and check downs  with him are not working as well because Jacoby takes to long to make a decision. I don’t think it’s regression on Hines part. They aren’t using him in open space. It’s kind of weird to with those two playing a year of college together. Although I don’t know how much Hines played as a rookie in college.

Hines is not elusive enough and does not stay on his feet well enough (balance) to be the guy for that role.  And, he doesn't seem to be as fast as advertised.  Its criminal that he is even on the roster.

Mack is both more elusive and harder to tackle and should be in the role of Hines, which should be to get the ball in space, and more plays should be called for that role.  A more powerful RB who can also occasionally catch should take over Mack's current role.

All JMO.

BTW, Hines doesn't stink because of JB.  He's always stunk.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t get why they are running with him so much.  It’s known that’s not his strength and you have other backs on the roster who are better at it.  Sometimes I think this coaching staff just likes the challenge of trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Its about deception.  If they cant use hines for carries then hes one dimensional and teams know whenever he comes in exactly what he is there to do.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hines is not elusive enough and does not stay on his feet well enough (balance) to be the guy for that role.  And, he doesn't seem to be as fast as advertised.  Its criminal that he is even on the roster.

Mack is both more elusive and harder to tackle and should be in the role of Hines, which should be to get the ball in space, and more plays should be called for that role.  A more powerful RB who can also occasionally catch should take over Mack's current role.

All JMO.

How do you explain the great season he had  as a rookie with Luck then. The kid had a fantastic year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

How do you explain the great season he had  as a rookie with Luck then. The kid had a fantastic year. 

I didn't think it was that great.  Maybe I think it could have been greater if he avoided more tackles, didn't get brought down by an arm, or didn't got caught from behind.

Did he catch the ball with wide open space in front of him for 7 yards?  That's kind of what I remember, and that's easy for any RB on an NFL roster.

Either way, Mack would be much better in space than Hines.  And Mack runs good between the OTs because we have a stout line.  Ahmad Bradshaw would be better....or Devante Freeman, as examples.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

All JMO.

Agree re: Hines. He’s just not that good...at least compared to other similar players. He doesn’t consistently rip off chunk plays and doesn’t have big playmaking ability...which sort of defeats the point of having a player like Hines. 

I wish Mack was a good pass catcher...but multiple coaching staffs have just mostly refused to utilize him this way. 

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t get why they are running with him so much.  It’s known that’s not his strength and you have other backs on the roster who are better at it.  Sometimes I think this coaching staff just likes the challenge of trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

They have to run with him to keep the defense honest...which is another downside to Hines...because he’s just not a good RB. 

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It wasn’t a fantastic rookie year though...his yards/carry and yards/catch weren’t great. His yardage totals were volume-based.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

He catches the ball just fine in the few opportunities he gets. They need to find a way to get both Hines and Mack on the field at the same time to create uncertainty.

his drop rate says other wise, at least it did last year.

he had two tipped passes that should have been caught  go for 6 the other way too

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

mack isnt good at catching.  used to be a common theme for running backs

I thought he was pretty good. 

If not, that is a big problem, IMO, because he's not really a Gore type runner either.  He does well between the tackles because of our Line, but he hesitates and is more finesse and elusive.

A Joseph Addai who can't catch is very replaceable/upgradable, IMO.

And limits what Reich can call.

I have never bought into any of our RBs being great. You dont need great RBs to have a good run game with this oline. But you noticed the line regressed (that might happen when teams stack the box every down) and the running game took a major hit so far. You can see how good JB is based off of what other teams do. They don't respect the pass because hes just not good enough. 

If they dont draft a QB at all this next draft they better draft an all around elite RB if there even Is one, and then double down on the oline, WR, and TE. Let Mack be the second RB and hines can drop to 3rd where his skill set is more suited. 

9 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Quoted for truth.

Agreed on the between the tackles running.  However, I think his success there depends on the specific play call/blocking scheme being utilized. 

For example, I think he's great in quick-hitting power schemes, where he doesn't have to rely on his mediocre vision.  Just let the OL get a hat-on-a-hat and let Hines explode to the second level.  Strangely, the Colts haven't used as much power as I'd like them to this year . . .

The only knock on Hines is that his ball security can be a little white-knuckle at times; but it's not like he's a fumble machine.  Only 2 in his NFL career (1 this year). 

Yes, I don't mind when we're rushing in a man (power) scheme at all. He can hit the hole pretty well. What I've seen more times than not though (or it seems), is that he's running between the tackles on zone blocking plays.

If we were better throwing to the screen and seam, I think Hines would have got a lot more targets. And we're not very good at throwing into the blitz at all either. 

On another note, somewhat related, saw a graphic that 53% of our passing yards are YAC related (pretty sure that's what it said). That's very good for our pass catchers, but a little negative towards JB given his already low numbers. The reason I mention it, is that Hines was very productive as a check down last year, but didn't think he had a lot of YAC (IIRC). Perhaps that's why they are not using him as much.

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The reason I mention it, is that Hines was very productive as a check down last year, but didn't think he had a lot of YAC (IIRC). Perhaps that's why they are not using him as much.

That's what I recall too.  I think Hines leaves yards on the field because he's simply not quite elusive enough, balanced enough, or strong enough to consistently make a defender miss.  He's apparently got straight line speed but he needs to have more than that to truly do the things Reich wants to do with him, IMO.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's what I recall too.  I think Hines leaves yards on the field because he's simply not quite elusive enough, balanced enough, or strong enough to consistently make a defender miss.  He's apparently got straight line speed but he needs to have more than that to truly do the things Reich wants to do with him, IMO.

IMO, he was hit a lot shallow seam last year. You aren't going to get a lot of YAC sitting in the seam. JB simply doesn't throw to the seam anyway, so it's probably a mix. I think Hines has more shake than you think. Go back and look at his college tape.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, he was hit a lot shallow seam last year. You aren't going to get a lot of YAC sitting in the seam. JB simply doesn't throw to the seam anyway, so it's probably a mix. I think Hines has more shake than you think. Go back and look at his college tape.

Whenever I've seen him shake a tackle, it seems its by the spin move.  I think Mack has a better ability to cut quickly and keep his balance for making the next move. 

But Hines has replaced Rogers in the kicking game recently, and has done well.  I had forgotten about that.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Whenever I've seen him shake a tackle, it seems its by the spin move.  I think Mack has a better ability to cut quickly and keep his balance for making the next move. 

But Hines has replaced Rogers in the kicking game recently, and has done well.  I had forgotten about that.

I didn't see any spin moves on those punt returns

13 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Hines showed a bit of patience at the beginning of those punt returns and found lanes to sneak through. He’s a great player, just have to use him in the right situations. 

It's mind-boggling that he never got more kick/punt return opportunities this year.

Rogers was basically a fair catch machine.

Teams kill to have guys like Hines that can take the ball to the house on any given play.  He's a good pass catcher and takes care of the ball.  The staff has to find a way to get Hines involved more.

Just like they found more carries for Wilkins today.

Just now, DougDew said:

Not coming out of the back field for the past two seasons, which is the point of the thread.

No, the point of the thread was that Hines has been under-utilized in all phases of the game.

And he demonstrated both his speed and elusiveness with the ball in his hand.