Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preaching Competition and not backing it up!!! (merge)

TimetobringDfence!

39 minutes ago, Archer said:

He cost us nothing to get him.  No one else wanted him.  Yeah, I think the long game (if you call 2 years a long game) is 100% appropriate with this guy.  If he ever starts a game, he’s exceeded my expectations for him...

My point is, why play the long game with someone so risky, and pay him tops in the PS world, if they don't see something they really like. It would be much easier and cheaper with someone with no flags.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

My point is, why play the long game with someone so risky, and pay him tops in the PS world, if they don't see something they really like. It would be much easier and cheaper with someone with no flags.

It’s easy to find something to like with the guy.  He’s got a really nice arm, and he played well for us in pre-season.  The red flags are the only reason we got him for nothing.  Now that we have him, he has to build the trust that he’s been unworthy of in the past.  If we don’t make him work to earn his next shot, we still won’t know what kind of man we’ve got...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's simply more about limiting QB controversy.

100% Agreed!

They spoke highly of Brissett, while rewarding him with a raise. It would look bad, if they suddenly admit they’ve made a mistake before the season is even over. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MPStack said:

100% Agreed!

They spoke highly of Brissett, while rewarding him with a raise. It would look bad, if they suddenly admit they’ve made a mistake before the season is even over. 

Yes, except I think there is more sincere motivation.  Managing a team is not only about analyzing talent.  You have to stick by your commitments or else the next commitment is taken less seriously, and so on.

Besides, GMs and HCs know that there are reasons to keep backups and PS players, one of them being to have a ready source of emergency players that are capable of playing in the system.  They don't have time to constantly evaluate players for the purpose of trying to turn them into starters.

I assume if Reich and Ballard are looking for competition for JB, they will be looking at the pick 50 and higher pool of talent coming into the draft more so than their current third stringer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Archer said:

It’s easy to find something to like with the guy.  He’s got a really nice arm, and he played well for us in pre-season.  The red flags are the only reason we got him for nothing.  Now that we have him, he has to build the trust that he’s been unworthy of in the past.  If we don’t make him work to earn his next shot, we still won’t know what kind of man we’ve got...

As long as he's been a good boy so far, I'd like to see him get some time for evaluation purposes. He doesn't necessarily need to get crowned starter if he plays well. While I agree I want to see him stay good over the off season, I don't want the drama of next year if he can't look decent.

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

100% Agreed!

I think they had to give him a raise, so not sure I really blame them for that. They were smart enough to only extend one year. I think this is more about optics to not make JB look bad during the season.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:58 AM, CoachSmok3 said:

I just have a question- on this never ending topic... 

*And I know that the question could be spun- And Ill address that soon...

What If Kelly goes in and hes Curtis Painter 2.0?

*The reverse- He rocks out.... Great. The Swagpound was right, and the Colts are winning. Id eat that crow gladly...

But what if dude BOMBS!!!!!

Then where are the goalposts going to be moved to?

Oh well they set him up to fail by waiting so long

Oh well they set him up to fail by backing JB publicly over him

Oh well of course he failed wheres the talent around him

Oh well of course we lost both of those games, but did u see it? eye ball test said hes a HOFer

This is my biggest annoyance with this... We're losing- so people complain. I get it. Its human. But how does it end?

I am starting to think that most people know that with 12 retiring, Injuries aplenty, and a young team thats not quite there yet.... Grasping at straws... This (IMO) inst fandom... Its being a "Karen"

I had to look up what a “Karen” is...

On 12/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, shastamasta said:

I agree with this statement. Reich and Ballard stand to gain nothing by Kelly playing...let alone succeeding.

What the....  ?

Huh?

What does this even mean?

Ballard and Reich have nothing to gain?    Finding a good player at the most important position in the game?

Nothing to gain?  Even if Kelly succeeds?   

Would you like to try to explain?   I’m completely lost....  

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What the....  ?

Huh?

What does this even mean?

Ballard and Reich have nothing to gain?    Finding a good player at the most important position in the game?

Nothing to gain?  Even if Kelly succeeds?   

Would you like to try to explain?   I’m completely lost....  

Sure. But let me say...I am fully onboard with putting Kelly out there...I want to see what he looks like in actual NFL regular season action. But I am a fan...so I am trying to look at it through the lens of Ballard and Reich.

What it means on the on-field?

- Not a ton. It's a two game sample...at the end of a (somewhat) lost season...against two teams vying for top 10 picks. So even if he plays well...the sample size is incredibly low and and not incredibly meaningful (Josh Freeman won a game back in 20).

What it means off the field?

- It undermines and (possibly) embarasses JB...something I am sure they don't want to do. 

- It shows that their faith and confidence in JB might have been misguided...and they are basically admitting some level of failure for that...especially if Kelly plays well. 

- It potentially creates a QB controversy (and distraction) heading into the offseason.

Overall...it's a net negative. They will let JB ride it out...and try to end on a high note.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 9:41 AM, shastamasta said:

Sure. But let me say...I am fully onboard with putting Kelly out there...I want to see what he looks like in actual NFL regular season action. But I am a fan...so I am trying to look at it through the lens of Ballard and Reich.

- Not a ton. It's a two game sample...at the end of a (somewhat) lost season...against two teams vying for top 10 picks. So even if he plays well...the sample size is incredibly low and and not incredibly meaningful (Josh Freeman won a game back in 20).

- It undermines and (possibly) embarasses JB...something I am sure they don't want to do. 

- It shows that their faith and confidence in JB might have been misguided...and they are basically admitting some level of failure for that...especially if Kelly plays well. 

- It potentially creates a QB controversy (and distraction) heading into the offseason.

Overall...it's a net negative. They will let JB ride it out...and try to end on a high note.

I think this post AND the one I responded to are both the posts of a fan who is angry and disappointed and frustrated.   

Im sorry to see this from such a good poster.    I can think if at least 10 posters who THIS I would expect from.   You’re not one of them.   Those people don't know football.  You do. 

On 12/21/2019 at 12:41 PM, shastamasta said:

I haven’t followed this particular thread about JB all season...but if your point is that playing Chad Kelly the last 2 games could have only convoluted an already difficult situation for Reich/Ballard... then I agree.  Sample size is too small and the stove is too hot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think this post AND the one I responded to are both the posts of a fan who is angry and disappointed and frustrated.   

Im sorry to see this from such a good poster.    I can think if at least 10 posters who THIS I would expect from.   You’re not one of them.   Those people don't know football.  You do. 

I am not angry or frustrated. Put it this way...if Reich or Ballard believed they stand to gain anything from playing Kelly...why aren't they doing it? 

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I am not angry or frustrated. Put it this way...if Reich or Ballard believed they stand to gain anything from playing Kelly...why aren't they doing it? 

I am really frustrated or angry by it either.  I basically said what I would do if I was running the team.  Clearly I am not.  If anything I am happy the Colts won today.