Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke

BProland85

1 hour ago, Aaron86 said:

It's not gonna happen. But I would love to see Kelly get a shot to go out and sling it. I know this is gonna get alot of heat. But JB and I have tried to get behind is boring to watch and is not the answer. 

Football is meant for entertainment, it's not just the wins but the spectacular show they put on. So I wouldn't say you get heat for saying that. It's something I've noticed aswell, and all the podcasts I listen to involving analysts, writers, and scouts have the same thing to say about watching the colts: it will bore you to death. IE: Pick Six and Around the NFL.

So it's easier for us to watch because we are fans and just want them to win in anyway they can, others switch to more enticing games. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

there's two guys wide open beyond the 30. 

holy cow that's just bad.

Something was really confusing him Thursday night. He might not be playing super great but this game there was something really off more then other games.  Maybe some of it was just the lack of preparation and practice. I guess we will see what happens against the titans. Jacoby his going to be smacking himself when he sees some of this film. I don’t think these are issues that can’t be corrected.  It was him just having a bad game.  We will find out how much of quick learner he is.  They always say veteran QB will kill you with a zone. This is defiantly a learning experience. I wonder if he has ever faced a zone like that this season.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Something was really confusing him Thursday night. He might not be playing super great but this game there was something really off more then other games.  Maybe some of it was just the lack of preparation and practice. I guess we will see what happens against the titans. Jacoby his going to be smacking himself when he sees some of this film. I don’t think these are issues that can’t be corrected.  It was him just having a bad game. 

IDK. Clear trend of not seeing open guys all year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

My biggest back on Jackson is the injury potential. Mahomes actually hit that wall this year. It's only time before it happens to Jackson as well if he keep up the running. Mahomes though can rely on passing. Jackson has shown great improvement there as well, but really needs to run to as effective. 

Lol. It sounds like you're saying QBs who run get injured more than those who don't. Do you have statistically significant evidence of that? It seems to be more of a narrative and whenever one of them misses time, many attribute it to the fact that those QBs run. Russell Wilson, a QB who runs, is never injured. You mentioned Mahomes. Lol. He  got hurt on a QB sneak, not by running and taking a hit. Don't pocket QBs sneak too? Pocket QBs like Stafford, Brees, Roethlisberger, and  Flacco have all missed time this year due to injury. Have they "hit a wall"? Is everyone suddenly worried that "it's only time" that all pocket quarterbacks will get hurt too?

Fear of injury is just a reason given not to draft QBs that run. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I'm just still in shock because when you run the ball well in game passing success should be pretty easy .

Especially when Jacoby is actually very good at selling the play action. One of the big problems although we ran well we didn’t mix it up. When you have 2nd and short those are times to take deep shots once in awhile. It’s also ok to run it on 3rd and 7 or 8. We have become way to predictable.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:13 PM, ColtsFan_98 said:

Does anyone even think the Texans game would be close or that we would even have half the losses we have if Andrew Luck was our quarterback?

we beat the Texans, Dolphins, and maybe the Steelers with Luck in, and maybe we lose some other game because Luck throws 3 picks so we'd be at 8 wins right now.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

raw

Houston played man coverage the first game and he burnt them. That’s why they switched. I would have to go back and look and see what Atlanta did.  I am just curious if the games he struggled the most in were zone. I can actually see why a inexperienced QB might struggle with zone.

There was a stat I saw on Watson and how he struggles with cover two. He doesn’t have the patience or maturity to take what is given. That’s why some of the man coverage we played against them was baffling.

4 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

we beat the Texans, Dolphins, and maybe the Steelers with Luck in, and maybe we lose some other game because Luck throws 3 picks so we'd be at 8 wins right now.

We beat the Steelers and dolphins if Jacoby hadn’t got hurt. So yes even with Jacoby we would be at 8 wins.

6 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

I think with Luck we would be 9-2 = great, with a healthy Brissett all year 7-4 which is good. The Colts would've beat Miami with Brissett IMO. So we are talking a 2 game difference. Key though is I think with Luck we sweep Houston and have control of the division. All opinions here but that is my 2 cents.

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. It sounds like you're saying QBs who run get injured more than those who don't. Do you have statistically significant evidence of that? It seems to be more of a narrative and whenever one of them misses time, many attribute it to the fact that those QBs run. Russell Wilson, a QB who runs, is never injured. You mentioned Mahomes. Lol. He  got hurt on a QB sneak, not by running and taking a hit. Don't pocket QBs sneak too? Pocket QBs like Stafford, Brees, Roethlisberger, and  Flacco have all missed time this year due to injury. Have they "hit a wall"? Is everyone suddenly worried that "it's only time" that all pocket quarterbacks will get hurt too?

Fear of injury is just a reason given not to draft QBs that run. 

Wilson has less than half the rushes as Jackson. And simply my opinion, Russel is not near as violent as runner as Jackson in terms of initiating contact.

While I agree that the whole running QBs are doomed to get hurt is often over stated, RBs have a higher % of injury than QBs overall....., so if your QB acts like a RB, logic would tell you he's upping his chances of injury.

Another issue, is that when a "mobile" QB gets hurt or is gimpy, his effectiveness is reduced more than a typical pocket passer. So it's a mixed bag. 

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Especially when Jacoby is actually very good at selling the play action. One of the big problems although we ran well we didn’t mix it up. When you have 2nd and short those are times to take deep shots once in awhile. It’s also ok to run it on 3rd and 7 or 8. We have become way to predictable.

Chloe, you have more excuses than anyone I have seen. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Houston played man coverage the first game and he burnt them. That’s why they switched. I would have to go back and look and see what Atlanta did.  I am just curious if the games he struggled the most in were zone. I can actually see why a inexperienced QB might struggle with zone.

But he's not an inexperienced QB, and whether it be zone or man, if you just don't see your guys open for whatever reason you've got an issue. 

There was a stat I saw on Watson and how he struggles with cover two. He doesn’t have the patience or maturity to take what is given. That’s why some of the man coverage we played against them was baffling.

Just out of interest, what sort of defense do you think "cover 2" is?

We beat the Steelers and dolphins if Jacoby hadn’t got hurt. So yes even with Jacoby we would be at 8 wins.

You have zero way of knowing that this is true.

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

Chloe, you have more excuses than anyone I have seen. 

The  fact we haven’t mixed it up is totally separate from the QB play. They can both be true. The fact is we are to predictable at times. Maybe that’s because  we don’t have the personnel at WR or other areas. We actually did it very well in the Steelers game with Campbell before he got hurt.  

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

w

But he's not an inexperienced QB, and whether it be zone or man, if you just don't see your guys open for whatever reason you've got an issue. 

Just out of interest, what sort of defense do you think "cover 2" is?

You have zero way of knowing that this is true.

Maybe not but I think it’s a pretty safe bet Jacoby doesn’t have three INT against the dolphins. The Steelers game he probably doesn’t throw that pick. Both those games all we needed was a game manager because both teams are horrid on offense.

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wilson has less than half the rushes as Jackson. And simply my opinion, Russel is not near as violent as runner as Jackson in terms of initiating contact.

In the previous post that I quoted, you mentioned Mahomes' injury to bolster your argument that Jackson is likely to get hurt. Mahomes is not a "violent runner". He and Wilson are similar. In fact, I'm pretty sure Wilson relied on running more than Mahomes did. Despite all his runs, Wilson has never been injured.

28 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

IIRC, Carolina and TB both play a bunch of zone. If that's his issue (which I don't believe), then we're going to struggle lol... 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IIRC, Carolina and TB both play a bunch of zone. If that's his issue (which I don't believe), then we're going to struggle lol... 

Maybe he's blue/green colour blind? :dunno:

But if playing "zone" is an issue, I'd suggest you'll have an issue starting in the NFL full stop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We will see. If he is smart and a quick learner maybe he learns from it. Or maybe it was just one of those games. It won’t be a short week either with no practice. The fact he killed the Texans with man Reich might of been able to get him more prepared for the opposite if it had been a normal week. Thinking maybe they would switch it up. 

Having Campbell  back is going to help with zone also. It allows us to have more variety and quick hitting plays. Funchess should help too.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We will see. If he is smart and a quick learner maybe he learns from it. Or maybe it was just one of those games. It won’t be a short week either with no practice. The fact he killed the Texans with man Reich might of been able to get him more prepared for the opposite if it had been a normal week. Thinking maybe they would switch it up. 

Having Campbell  back is going to help with zone also. It allows us to have more variety and quick hitting plays. Funchess should help too.

Why do you think quick hitters specifically help with beating zone? 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

In the previous post that I quoted, you mentioned Mahomes' injury to bolster your argument that Jackson is likely to get hurt. Mahomes is not a "violent runner". He and Wilson are similar. In fact, I'm pretty sure Wilson relied on running more than Mahomes did. Despite all his runs, Wilson has never been injured.

I agree Mahomes is not a violent runner. He does dance/scramble a bit too much. I read an article that Reid wanted him to work on getting his time to throw down and scrambling less.

Wilson has been injured before. Wasn't horrible, but lingered most of the year (2016). His rushing yards were cut in half that year, and had his worst QBR ever.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe I shouldn’t of put that part. I should of just left the Campbell stuff in. Which is true he gives you a bit more variety in play calling. 

The problem with Campbell for me, a lot of what he's shown to do well, is stuff that can be replicated with Hines in some respect. Stuff that we don't do well, or even try to do it seems. See @Superman's posts about the playcalling and lack of screens etc. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

I agree Mahomes is not a violent runner. He does dance/scramble a bit too much. I read an article that Reid wanted him to work on getting his time to throw down and scrambling less.

Wilson has been injured before. Wasn't horrible, but lingered most of the year (2016). His rushing yards were cut in half that year, and had his worst QBR ever.

I'd have put Wilson down as more of an elusive scrambler than "running QB". Ditto Mahomes.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

The problem with Campbell for me, a lot of what he's shown to do well, is stuff that can be replicated with Hines in some respect. Stuff that we don't do well, or even try to do it seems. See @Superman's posts about the playcalling and lack of screens etc. 

I would agree with that. Which is why I have been confused as to why Reich hasn’t used Hines in the same way. I do think Hines actually ran the ball  well Thursday and would of had a big play if not for that drop.

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I'd have put Wilson down as more of an elusive scrambler than "running QB". Ditto Mahomes.  

Agree. I still think Mahomes puts himself in riskier situations than Wilson though. Wilson seems more controlled or deliberate, while Mahomes seems wild and unhinged at times. 

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he is not prepared for zone by now God help us. I would be shocked if that was the first time he has faced zone in his career. EASTSTREET would know.

So the thing with secondary coverages... they're all beatable, why it's very hard to have a good D without some form of QB pressure. 

We had a spot during Pagano where we could play pretty decent man which helped "manufacture" some form of rush, especially combined with blitzing, but it puts an awful lot of pressure on your DBs to win their 1 on 1s. 

Zone coverage without pressure = QB Delight. 

31 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Had Doyle wide open for a 20 yard gain.

I have been a big Brissett supporter.

But I almost can't believe my eyes.

Doyle could not be more wide open. Brissett is not pressured, and appears to be looking right at Doyle, but he doesn't throw the ball? 

I am shocked. This is inexcusable.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

OK Chloe, you're daily twitter excuse limit is over maxed lol... 

Just kidding, keep'em coming

This guy does a weekly thread after games after  breaking down the all 22. I find them really good. He goes beyond just saying he missed guys open. He goes into the defensive coverages. I like that because it takes a look at both sides.