Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Raiders week is a good week for Cover 2 and our long armed LBs

chad72

Just like last week was important for Pierre Desir to be active, this week it would be important for Darius Leonard and all our LBs to be active. If there was a week to increase the depth of our ILBs to cover TEs, this is the week to do so to get in the passing lanes. Derek Carr likes to hit the seams with Seth Roberts and Darren Waller and does most of his damage there. He did the same last year with Jared Cook too.

This would be a good game to play Cover 2 concepts. Forcing him to throw Cover 2 beaters to his WRs on the outside is going to be key, something I do not see him complete often. However, not having Malik Hooker requires us to have good safety and LB play in this game to cover their TEs and RBs.

Of course, everything is predicated on our run D being stout enough and our offense controlling tempo with a lead.

Thoughts???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

They didn't last year and that didn't stop them from lighting our secondary up.  I think we will win but we don't want to overlook the raiders .

Getting on the wrong side of the TO game could make things very uncomfortable. Maintaining ball security and executing sound tackling (the Colts have been great at penalties), should put the team on solid footing to get a W. 

Jacoby seems undaunted, regardless of the situation, Ebron is finding his groove with him, and Jack is back to being....well, Jack Freaking Doyle. Mack and the line speak for themselves. 

8 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Jacoby seems undaunted, regardless of the situation, Ebron is finding his groove with him, and Jack is back to being....well, Jack Freaking Doyle. Mack and the line speak for themselves. 

Seems you fortuitously left out a specific mention of Big Q, the game wrecker...

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Just like last week was important for Pierre Desir to be active, this week it would be important for Darius Leonard and all our LBs to be active. If there was a week to increase the depth of our ILBs to cover TEs, this is the week to do so to get in the passing lanes. Derek Carr likes to hit the seams with Seth Roberts and Darren Waller and does most of his damage there. He did the same last year with Jared Cook too.

This would be a good game to play Cover 2 concepts. Forcing him to throw Cover 2 beaters to his WRs on the outside is going to be key, something I do not see him complete often. However, not having Malik Hooker requires us to have good safety and LB play in this game to cover their TEs and RBs.

Of course, everything is predicated on our run D being stout enough and our offense controlling tempo with a lead.

Thoughts???

While, I agree the Lbers need to be active, I do not think this is a good game for a cover 2 type D.

one of the main premises of the Cover 2 is that it forces the offense to play mistake free football on long sustained drives(10+ plays) and not many teams are capable of doing that for 4 quarters.  With Oakland though, it kind of plays into their offenses hands.  Carr is completing a high percentage of short throws.  The receivers are doing an excellent job of catching (2 drops only so far this season) and they have a running back who is cable of picking up tough yards and keeping the chains moving.

IMO the key for the Colts D is this game is going to be taking away half the field.  If I were developing the game plan for this I would institute more a zone/blitz type scheme.  Disguise they blitzes and force Carr to scramble right or left and then do an unbalanced zone on the side of the field you are trying to make him scramble.  if he doesn't scramble then at least get there quick enough that he can't go through his progressions.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Getting on the wrong side of the TO game could make things very uncomfortable. Maintaining ball security and executing sound tackling (the Colts have been great at penalties), should put the team on solid footing to get a W. 

Did we have a lot of turnovers that game?

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

While, I agree the Lbers need to be active, I do not think this is a good game for a cover 2 type D.

one of the main premises of the Cover 2 is that it forces the offense to play mistake free football on long sustained drives(10+ plays) and not many teams are capable of doing that for 4 quarters.  With Oakland though, it kind of plays into their offenses hands.  Carr is completing a high percentage of short throws.  The receivers are doing an excellent job of catching (2 drops only so far this season) and they have a running back who is cable of picking up tough yards and keeping the chains moving.

IMO the key for the Colts D is this game is going to be taking away half the field.  If I were developing the game plan for this I would institute more a zone/blitz type scheme.  Disguise they blitzes and force Carr to scramble right or left and then do an unbalanced zone on the side of the field you are trying to make him scramble.  if he doesn't scramble then at least get there quick enough that he can't go through his progressions.

Derek Carr does throw more incompletions than INTs, that is for sure. We still have to press their outside wide outs and hope our pass rush gets there this time. If we can do that without blitzing, it would be ideal to clog the middle. 

• Like 1

Man, I wish we had Hooker.

Gruden is the type that likes to take 4-5 deep shots a game.  He'll run the deep post.

He'll also run Ace Smash Z Kill - 4 WR set with 2 corner routes on either side of the formation and a "lazy" post crossing one of the corner routes.  If you, as a defense, don't get pressure against this call, it's game over.  It's the Cover 2 killer.  It's a legit 5-7 step drop though, so it needs some time to develop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Man, I wish we had Hooker.

Gruden is the type that likes to take 4-5 deep shots a game.  He'll run the deep post.

He'll also run Ace Smash Z Kill - 4 WR set with 2 corner routes on either side of the formation and a "lazy" post crossing one of the corner routes.  If you, as a defense, don't get pressure against this call, it's game over.  It's the Cover 2 killer.  It's a legit 5-7 step drop though, so it needs some time to develop. 

Kemoko Turay and the other pass rushers need to show up so that we will be able to apply pressure without blitzing much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Kemoko Turay and the other pass rushers need to show up so that we will be able to apply pressure without blitzing much.

Agreed, they do, but they need some help from the scheme.

That pass rush can get there if Eberflus would play some press man in 3rd and long situations.  Against the Falcons, Eberflus was giving all of Atlanta's WRs, including Julio Jones, free access to the secondary.  I just don't understand it.  The pass rush had absolutely no chance in those situations, and neither did the Colts.

That defensive strategy on 3rd down was basically "let's hope Ryan throws a bad ball or a WR drops a pass."  That's not how you beat elite QBs and the Colts will get worked by the Chiefs if they continue to play that way. 

On a side note - has Margus Hunt played this year?  Dude has been invisible.  He used to be disruptive in the interior.  Now he's a complete non-factor that deserves to have snaps taken away. 

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Thoughts???

You’re a good poster so I appreciate your input.   One of the few on here  

So with that said don’t forget we don’t have Hooker.    He is the most under rated player on the Colts D.     QBs do everything to look away from him

9 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

You’re a good poster so I appreciate your input.   One of the few on here  

So with that said don’t forget we don’t have Hooker.    He is the most under rated player on the Colts D.     QBs do everything to look away from him

Yeah, that does change a lot of our defensive scheming, Hooker is underrated.