Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OT: Would an NHL Team Work in Indianapolis?

Would you embrace the sport? Do you think tax payers would be open to helping fund a new stadium? How do you think they would rank in popularity compared to the Pacers & Colts?

I think it would be great to get a team in the city. Indy fans seem to really live and breathe with their teams.

31 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

Would you embrace the sport? Do you think tax payers would be open to helping fund a new stadium? How do you think they would rank in popularity compared to the Pacers & Colts?

I think it would be great to get a team in the city. Indy fans seem to really live and breathe with their teams.

No. We have had a semi-pro team for years and nobody even cares. Same with why we won’t have an MLB team, not enough interest and market size is tiny

We will never have a Pro hockey team or a baseball team. Market is too small. Most people are Cubs or Reds fans anyway that live here. Chicago and Cincy are close to here. I have been a Cubs fan since 1984 and that will never change. Regarding hockey I barely follow it and most people I know don't follow it all.

• Like 1

As a lifelong NHL fan dating back to the "Original Six".... IMO, the NHL has over-expanded as it is. I'd have liked to seen the league cap expansion at 24 teams and keep the talent level really concentrated.

As far as Indy ever having a team.... you guys are sandwiched in a region clustered with very entrenched franchises like the Blackhawks, Redwings, the Cup Champion Blues.... and with relative newbies Columbus and Nashville siphoning whatever fan interest there is in those markets. 

It just seems very risky that there's enough of a fan base in Indy to even try it.... quite a few NHL franchises have failed in other places.

For perspective..... the Coyotes have had a rough go of it financially in Phoenix... a far bigger market. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2015/11/02/the-arizona-coyotes-fall-to-bankruptcy-find-new.html

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Indianapolis struggles to support the three pro teams (Colts, Pacers, and Fever) they have at times.  I don’t know if they could support a fourth team but I have a feeling if they do get a fourth team it’s going to be a MLS team rather than NHL team.  The city has really embraced the 11 and they are trying badly to be a MLS team.  For the record I am not a soccer fan in the slightest and have never been to an 11 game and would much rather watch hockey than soccer.  I am just saying what I see.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely would love to see Major League Hockey in town again. The Racers  filled the Market Square Arena really well. Two years led the league in attendance. The fans are here it all starts in Youth Hockey and that is going all around the city. Nashville built Bilt rinks all over the city many years ago and look what it did. The fuel are very poorly managed team the owners are always fighting each other and if they played in a place that wasn't on 38th Street we would draw a lot better. City government in the fans have to embrace hockey again before we even think about this again we need about five more rinks in the city

• 2 weeks later...