Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blue White Scrimmage/Coltzilla report ((merged))

jskinnz

Went to the Blue White scrimmage today in Anderson. Here is what I saw.

* Freeney & Saturday sat out

* Kevin Thomas hadn't practiced all week but was dressed today but did not get in the game.

* Always amazed at the level of detail that gets covered - they practiced all kinds of different scenarios - like how to take a safety from punt formation. How to get the proper personnel on the field, how to freaking line up for the National Anthem

* Starting D-line was Anderson, Johnson, Moala, and Mathis. On passing downs, Tommie Harris & Nevis were pass rush DT's.

* 2nd string safeties were Afalava & Joe Lefeged. Lefeged looks like a real ahtlete

* Link was LT with the first team although they moved players around

* Lefeged was the primary punt return guy & Gilreath the KR

* There will not be many kick returns with the new rule

* Sims made plays. Was in on alot of the nickel defense

* To my novice eye, Lacey did not have a good day

That is it for now. Shoot me any questions you have - will tell you what I saw

I like how all that sounds, how would you say the run offense looked? and what about brown they didnt say if he got any playtime or not.

They were in shorts. Talking about how the run offense looked is kind of meaningless as it was not full speed.

Brown did get in the game but they did a lot of running with Carter, James, Moore and not necessarily the regulars.

Thanks for the info J. Good to hear that Lefeged is looking good.

I wonder how long into the preseason before the starting O line is formed. I said in another thread that I hope Peyton doesn't play a preseason snap until the O-line works together.

Speaking of them, I wonder if Big Mac cracks the lineup. People have said he doesn't look to good so far.

Thanks for the info J. Good to hear that Lefeged is looking good.

I wonder how long into the preseason before the starting O line is formed. I said in another thread that I hope Peyton doesn't play a preseason snap until the O-line works together.

Speaking of them, I wonder if Big Mac cracks the lineup. People have said he doesn't look to good so far.

Richard was a center, Diem and Link were the tackles. Thomas was at one guard and I don't recall who the other guard was - may have been Pollak but I can't swear to that. Saturday & Devan sat out and McClendon did nothing to distinguish himself. By that I mean I did not notice him, not that his play was below par.

Do you remember the Viking preseason game a few years ago? Manning was sacked on his two of his three pass attempts with a line that was make-shift at best. Completely agree about not wanting him hit until the line gets settled.

Also, they list Ijalana as a guard but he was playing some RT today too.

* Kevin Thomas hadn't practiced all week but was dressed today but did not get in the game.

* Always amazed at the level of detail that gets covered - they practiced all kinds of different scenarios - like how to take a safety from punt formation. How to get the proper personnel on the field, how to freaking line up for the National Anthem

* Starting D-line was Anderson, Johnson, Moala, and Mathis. On passing downs, Tommie Harris & Nevis were pass rush DT's.

* 2nd string safeties were Afalava & Joe Lefeged. Lefeged looks like a real ahtlete

RE There will not be many kick returns with the new rule

This just may not be the case with this new strategy talked about ! ! !!!!!

, I have read many articles after this rule came out saying that and nmany later on saying a new straegy may emerge with kivckers trying not for distance but hang time trying to pin the returner back as the team rushes in and maybe even get a fare catch out of it to really pin him

Thanks for the run down jskinnz. On Lefeged you said he looks like a real athlete. Does it look like that athleticism translates well on the field?

Who was seeing time at LB?

Thanks for the run down jskinnz. On Lefeged you said he looks like a real athlete. Does it look like that athleticism translates well on the field?

To my novice eye it does. I think it says a lot about his athleticism that he is also being considered as a punt returner. I paid attention to him at the Wednesday night practice as well. I think they may have a player.

I think it means alot that he was a 2nd team safety today ahead of guys like King, Newton, Caldwell - guys who have been with the team for a year. Don't read too much into that because none of those guys are world beaters, but it does appear that he is already ahead of them on the depth chart.

Who was seeing time at LB?

Brackett Angerer and Sims were with the first group. Conner sat out with a finger issue from yesterday. When the # 1 went nickel the LB's on the field were Sims and Brackett. The defense scored a TD on a Bullitt int return after Sims drilled a receiver and forced a tip.

Richard was a center, Diem and Link were the tackles. Thomas was at one guard and I don't recall who the other guard was - may have been Pollak but I can't swear to that. Saturday & Devan sat out and McClendon did nothing to distinguish himself. By that I mean I did not notice him, not that his play was below par.

Do you remember the Viking preseason game a few years ago? Manning was sacked on his two of his three pass attempts with a line that was make-shift at best. Completely agree about not wanting him hit until the line gets settled.

Also, they list Ijalana as a guard but he was playing some RT today too.

I remember that Vikes game quite well, but apparently others think the line won't gel until PM plays with them. Not worth the time pointing out how wrong that is. They can gel just fine with Peyton wearing a red shirt.

There was a thread about a new UDFA rookie center Kirkpatrick, which made him sound like the second coming. I suspect he's camp fodder, he'd have to beat out Thomas, McClendon or Richard to make the team. Possible, not likely.

Yeah everyday it sounds like he's playing like hot garbage.

I remember thinking to myself today about Hayden and if Lacey's performance today would have the team putting in a call to him.

But to be fair, the starting corners were often paired with back up safeties so who really knows if the regulars would have made a difference? There could have been times in which it looked like Lacey was beaten badly but it was more due to a safety not being where he was supposed to be.

I would also caution that it is only week 1 after an offseason with no team activity. What he is doing now may be not even close to his level of play in September.

Yep. That's why people need to quit freaking out about us getting better at returns... I'd say 80% or more drives will start at the 20 from now on, which just plays into our hands... We're used to having to put together an 80 yard drive. Other teams, not so much.

To my novice eye it does. I think it says a lot about his athleticism that he is also being considered as a punt returner. I paid attention to him at the Wednesday night practice as well. I think they may have a player.

I think it means alot that he was a 2nd team safety today ahead of guys like King, Newton, Caldwell - guys who have been with the team for a year. Don't read too much into that because none of those guys are world beaters, but it does appear that he is already ahead of them on the depth chart.

I remember reading a similar report about Bethea his rookie season. It was after the Blue/White scrimmage, it was reported that Bethea made a play for the D and Dungy looked at Polian and said, {paraphrase} I think we have really found a player here. {end paraphrase}

Sounds like the defense is starting to look average, which is a great thing considering haha. Really stoked for this season. Not to sound like an echo but if Lacey doesnt break the rust/crappy play we might get burned by the more intelligent QBs. Hope it is just CB/safety not cooperating more than him just playing like a microwaved terd

My Qusetion is how is Saturday, out of shape from negotiations ???, he hasn't practiced yet to my knowledge

COLTZILLA

2 paragrapgh intro then

Tommie Harris – Harris was very active when he was on defense. On one occasion he collapsed the pocket and nearly sacked quarterback Dan Orlovsky. On two other occasions he managed to knock down passes. I have not heard a negative word about the impression Harris has made in his first two practices with the Colts. If he keeps this up, he could make a huge difference for Indy’s defensive line.

Ernie Sims – I absolutely love the intensity Sims plays with. He is extremely active in the Cover-2, quickly attacking would-be receivers when the ball is coming into his zone, and has the speed to move laterally to make plays on the ground. I have no doubt in my mind that Sims is going to rock someone’s world in preseason. ....................4 MORE READ full article

Colts Wide Receivers – Although none of the young wide receivers on the roster made a big impression on me, the veterans all played as fans would like to see them play. Garcon caught everything thrown to him, looked fast, and very strong. Gonzalez was able to get open regularly and was a primary target for second team quarterback Dan Orlovsky. Collie looked as dangerous and effective in the scrimmage as he did last year on the field before he suffered his concussions. Reggie Wayne displayed excellent hands, body control, and looked extremely relaxed and comfortable. .................................4 MORE READ full article

Chad Spann/Delone Carter – Although players like Javarris James and Devin Moore are entering their second years with the team, the amount of reps and attention Spann and Carter are getting with the second and first teams, respectively, suggests that the front office wants a very close look at these two players. Carter was easily the most active running back of the morning, with Spann and Moore relatively equal behind him .............................................4 MORE READ full article

Devin Moore – Some fans may have already grown to appreciate how fast Moore is when they watched him play during training camp and preseason in 2010. For others, he is turning heads. I saw him last year but it is easy to forget just how fast Moore moves on the field. Even though Spann and Gilreath will both get looks as kick returners as well (and they could win the job), so far Moore has a leg up on both players for a roster spot with his dual talents.

Defensive Line – Anything a fan takes away from an entire unit during training camp, prior to any preseason action, should be taken with little more than a grain of salt. However, the Colts defensive line depth is starting to look like a rather strong unit. Goal line defensive line of Foster, Nevis, Anderson, Moala, and Johnson. Harris will likely replace one of Foster/Moala/Anderson on the inside in goal line formations if he continues he strong performances. In any case, Anderson, Hughes, Mathis, Foster, and Freeney looks like a very strong defensive end rotation thus far. Johnson, Moala, Nevis, and Harris looks like a pretty strong defensive tackle rotation as well. .....4 MORE READ full article

Joe Lefeged – Although Lefeged did not get very many opportunities to make plays on defense because neither quarterback pushed the ball down the field with long inside passes (partially because pressure from the defensive line was pretty consistent), he did look very natural as a punt returner.......4 MORE READ full article

David (Call me DaC) Caldwell – Like Lefeged, Caldwell did not have a lot of opportunities to make big defensive plays due to the nature of the practice. However, he did make the last play of the game, hitting receiver Kole Heckendorf in the back of the end zone very hard to break up a pass from Dan Orlovsky that would have resulted in a tie score. ......................... 4 More Read full article

Backup Quarterbacks ------ ...... intro ......... then

Davis is coming from the 49ers who run a completely different offensive scheme and has only had a week or so to really dig into the playbook. ...................4 more read article

In either case, the competition between Painter and Orlovsky may go back and forth in camp and the preseason. Although Painter did not seem to make any glaring mistakes — at least none he had to pay for — he also did not look very comfortable moving around in the pocket to avoid pressure. Orlovsky, on the other hand, moved fluidly in the pocket, avoided pressure, and still threw straight line passes to his receivers. ................. 4 More Read full article on where Orlossky struggles do to throwing motion

Offensive Line – If fans were hoping for word after the first week of training camp that the offensive line is a well oiled machine that is ready to take on first team defenses in NFL regular season competition, they were hoping for too much. With Johnson gone, two rookie draft picks in, a second year undrafted free agent, an undrafted free agent center, ...... 4 more read article

Coltzila predicts that the starting five will not be determined until after the third preseason game AT THE EARLIEST and would not be surprised to see a lot of offensive linemen who may start Week 1 still getting a half or so of work in the final preseason game.

if Indianapolis does open the year with a line of: Linkenbach, DeVan, Saturday, Pollak, Diem. I know some people fret at the thought of Castonzo and Ijalana not starting right away, while others are more concerned about Linkenbach starting at left tackle (I’m not), but the reality is that this abbreviated summer will make it very difficult on all new players to get comfortable in their roles. If Castonzo and Ijalana are not ready to contribute by Week 4, I will be concerned. Until then, do not be surprised if the line takes a few games for the line to come along and take a final form.

Cornerbacks – Although the starting cornerbacks on the Colts depth chart would read Jerraud Powers/Jacob Lacey right now, expect Justin Tryon to supplant Lacey for the starting job. I can’t help but feel like Tryon is a Powers clone. Both players are quick and play close to their assignments, both players hit hard, and both players have a knack for being in a position to make plays on the ball. Of all players in the secondary in 2011, I expect the biggest jump in performance and production will be from Tryon.

With Kevin Thomas sitting out significant time in training camp again this year, I would also be surprised if the front office did not make a move for a veteran cornerback of some kind. ........ 3 more paragraphs

My link

Colts .com

has full page article on scrimmage & injuries

INJURY UPDATE: LB-Kavell Conner (finger), LB-Cody Glenn (neck), DE-Dwight Freeney (rested), TE-Brody Eldridge (knee), OT-James Williams (foot), DT-DeMario Pressley (hamstring), DB-Chris Rucker (ankle), TE-Rob Myers (ribs) did not participate in the scrimmage.

My link

Thanks for the article Bayone!! I think we just need to trade or sign for another corner and guard. As for G, bringing in Brian Waters on a 1 or 2 year deal would be a good decision since that's one of the weekest spots on our team. I'm really excited about our Dt's and LB Ernie Sims, this should be a great year.

Thanks for the article Bayone!! I think we just need to trade or sign for another corner and guard. As for G, bringing in Brian Waters on a 1 or 2 year deal would be a good decision since that's one of the weekest spots on our team. I'm really excited about our Dt's and LB Ernie Sims, this should be a great year.

agree a good guard would help and a corner may be vital

another article with many points on Sat Scrimmage, heres 2 take aways

Speaking of the starting O, the starting offensive line ended up being (from left to right) Jeff Linkenbach, Joe Reitz, Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, and Ryan Diem. Jeff Saturday and Kyle DeVan were out with apparent injuries, but otherwise, that's your current starting lineup. As I'll mention below, this scares me to no end.

Austin Collie deserves special mention here. He dominated the entire scrimmage, catching everything that came anywhere near him and generally being the WR that Painter and Orlovsky leaned on for the entire scrimmage. Collie had big catch after big catch to eat up large chunks of yardage. As long as he keeps his head clear, Collie should set the league on fire this year.

My link

The lines that stood out to me:

The starting offensive lineup, however, was more revealing. First of all, Collie and Wayne were the starting WR's with Garcon only coming in when the offense switched to a 3 WR set. As opposed to last season, when Collie was working almost solely out of the slot with Garcon starting, it looks like the Colts love Collie enough to leapfrog him over Garcon in the starting lineup. It might be too early to say that, but the Rams game should shed more light on the situation at WR.

Way to go, what I wanted all this time, reliable hands beats 50% catch rate. Collie and Wayne in 2 WR/2 TE formations, Collie moves inside in 3 WR formations with Garcon outside. Also like it from the point of view of reducing safety and LB hits on Collie in the slot. I think Collie is going to surprise a lot of folks playing on the outside. Both occasions when he got to play outside (Broncos game last year, and Jets' "resting the starters" game in 2009), he was very efficient. He is about 10 lbs lighter than Garcon but outside CBs that can just jam or run with you but don't turn their hips around fast enough like a Cromartie will have issues with good route runners like Collie more than with Garcon, IMO.

Getting worried about Lacey, seems like I've heard nothing good about him thus far. I personally believe he is not a solid starting DB. I think he would be an adequate second stringer at best. Guy really has to get better. I don't want to see the Colts get slaughtered by bigger receivers like they usually do.

Getting worried about Lacey, seems like I've heard nothing good about him thus far. I personally believe he is not a solid starting DB. I think he would be an adequate second stringer at best. Guy really has to get better. I don't want to see the Colts get slaughtered by bigger receivers like they usually do.

Lacey at dimeback is fine. Lacey as a starter is a problem. I would expect that we are looking at a couple of vets (like how we added Deshea Townsend) to bolster the position, but I fully expect Tryon to start opposite Powers. That was pretty clear from the time we released Hayden.

Hey jskinz, you know if Harris and nevis played in the same time at pass rushing downs. If so who played the one and who played the three tech?