Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A general thought on FA and Draft, and building the Colts brand

I think Amosnis exactly what we need. Can lay a hit as well, cover a deep half, and is better against TEs than Collins.

Humphries dosnt really seem like a Ballard guy or a team fit IMO. I know he produced well in TB but with an abundance of talent around him he should of been open to make alot of those plays. Can he do that here with less talent. This is where I think paying a guy like William's a decent contract is worth it.

I dont have an opinion on Ansah. He is a DE thats not going to break the bank, but is he a good pass rusher, and can he hold an edge? Most of the sites I have read makes him seems just meh. Any more insight on him will be welcome.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KB said:

I dont have an opinion on Ansah. He is a DE thats not going to break the bank, but is he a good pass rusher, and can he hold an edge? Most of the sites I have read makes him seems just meh. Any more insight on him will be welcome.

Ansah is good, but not great when on the field. The guy gets injured too much.

Unfortunately, "good" is a few steps above above where we are today

Pathetic might be a better discription. If it werent for sending out mighty mite CB on blitzes, we would have had almost nothing

I like him in a rotation, which is what we dont have enough talent to fully execute today

But..... my point really isnt about  getting Ansah....... Its more that we will probably take a 2nd tier guy...... LIKE (or similar) to Ansah 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ansah is good, but not great when on the field. The guy gets injured too much.

Unfortunately, "good" is a few steps above above where we are today

Pathetic might be a better discription. If it werent for sending out mighty mite CB on blitzes, we would have had almost nothing

I like him in a rotation, which is what we dont have enough talent to fully execute today

But..... my point really isnt about  getting Ansah....... Its more that we will probably take a 2nd tier guy...... LIKE (or similar) to Ansah 

Agree with you on Ansah.  I would much rather Z. Smith or Barrett.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

There are many threads on potential players that the Colts will get (or should get) in the draft and Free agency

I will have to say that with Grigson, there WERE actually posters on this board, and general fans, that were better at picking players

After one year, Trent Richardson drafted top 5 is suddenly available for a first. ??????

Didnt that make you think? What are we actually getting? One of the teams in this transaction was a sucker, and it wasnt the Browns.

There were numerous large contracts for aging players that  didnt have anything left in the tank brought in.

He had no culture, He had no plan...............  It showed on the field

These days it is completely different. It is clear that Chris Ballard has a plan and he is executing this plan

His pillars of his approach (What he repeats.... constantly)

- Build the lines FIRST

- Build the team with high character leaders (No Locker room "cancers" allowed)

- Don't overpay for aging FAs

- Get a little better as a team, and as an individual, every week

- Draft plan - Best Player Available

- Reward the current contributors with fair contracts, when contracts are up. (Grow your own mentality)

As a fan, I sometimes get caught up in the latest, and shiniest, free agent dialog, and the latest player that will be drafted

In many cases, they don't meet the stated criteria, above........ 

As Ballard is a man of his word....... he WONT make that move, if it doesn't fit these criteria

His approach is the right one. 

I hereby resolve to repeat the mantra of Ballard, before I share my opinion on ANY FAs and rookies to be.   :)

We made a great step in 2018. 

This was a team on the rocks.  I fully believe today, that with a little Luck, (Pun intended) and some team health

that we are only a few short steps from the Super Bowl

As a fan, I want him to make a big splash in FA.....

I IMMEDIATELY want Collins, Williams,  Moseley,  Flowers (Others)

BUT..........

We will probably end up with players like.........Amos, Humphries, Ansah

These 3 ARE NOT SEXY, but would help the team from where we are today.... and could very well fit the pillars of Ballard's

"How to build the team"

His mantra, says that might not happen (so........probably not)

I look at this draft, and HOPE that they go with a DE/DT, S, WR, OT in the first 3 rounds

BUT..........

I WILL NOT be surprised if we go with a position that is NOT in dire need

(Maybe QB, K, P, to be exceptions  )   

We may actually go with an OT, LB, CB, RB, OG, (or the position of needs, if BPA) 

There is a thought that BPA...... is ACTUALLY BPA

I do think that in a defense heavy draft, there is an EXCELLENT chance that the BPA, is actually a defensive front 7 player.

In my overall life, I 100% trust the good Lord above

For football, I 100% trust the approach of BALLARD to take this team....... a passion for 30 years..... to a near Super bowl.

Deano

Good post.

As far as BPA .   it is not what the taking heads think it is what Ballard and crew think.   Colts BPA is set up on their draft board graded out by Ballards thoughts on  position value, measurable's, etc...  and now throw in character.

Talking heads are wrong a lot. That's why everyone is so shocked when a player that BSPN or NFLN claims is great falls because GM's know more than the dip%s doing the Mock drafts.

Like the ones thinking we need to use a 1st on a WR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

I would quite pleased with Humphries and Amos. Ansah too injury prone.

I need to watch more tape on Amos

I imagine he can come at 60-70% of what Collins will get

From other posters, he plays the run well, but is better than Collins at pass coverage.

With the way we were chewed up by  TEs last year, this might be of need

The 2nd or 3rd tier "names" may actually be a better fit, for example:

Za'Darius Smith and Shaq Barrett played behind some big names and never truly got to shine - bit seem like grinders who bring their lunchpail to work everyday. My only issue with them is they are 3-4 outside linebackers...

Same can be said of Tyrell Williams - has had to work harder than many to get to this payday - though he may not be a 2nd or 3rd tier name.

Adrian Amos has played in relative obscurity during his first 4 years and may be a better lockeroom fit than any other FA safety...

Every one of those guys would make us better than we were last year even if they weren't household names.

Then they draft BPA and hit on those first 6 picks (at least) and our roster is sitting pretty in year 3....

I don't know much about "branding" as I haven't worked in sales, retail, or marketing.  However, I understand the gravity and reality of modern society and the word drew me into this thread.  

I've had reservations with my colts loyalty due to some of the caveats associated with a sometimes meddling and incendiary owner in Jim Irsay.  I also had to wonder what was going on during the Grigson years (good lord).

It has been with dizzying speed that Ballard and Reich have turned things around.  Credit Irsay with getting a ringer in here and letting him do his job.  

I can't believe how much confidence I have in this organization after some of the tomfoolery that permeated the club for so long... and it happened quick.

I AM proud of this organization, its fans, it's top-notch stadium I've never been to, and the product we're putting out on the field.  I never thought I'd be able to say it, yet here we are.  

So thanks for echoing the collective joy and relief that many of us feel as we sneak into free agency with a fat wallet, a slow trigger-finger, and zipped lips.